Veritaville
we are the Veritas. By definition, the Veritas are not a cult, we are a political party dedicated to trying to make the fandom a better place. Or just chatting. Whatever strikes us.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »
dreamcatcher96

Do these rules sound good?:

Trivia questions who's answers can be found in the text of the book only.

The asker must know the correct answer to the question. (no referencing the books, interwebs, or anything that isn't your brain.)

The asker must know which of the books the answer is in. (though it could be in more than one.)

Person with a birthday date closest to Harry's asks the first question, after that players take turns.

You have ten minutes to answer the question or it is counted as an incorrect answer.

First competitor(sp?) to answer 3 questions wrong loses.

Any disputes over an answer will be decided by an impartial judge, who can also say an answer is "close enough"

The impartial judge is the only one involved in the contest who can use outside sources.

Please don't give the answers unless you are a competitor or a judge. no hints, either. (sp?)

Sound good? any questions?

7/20/2010 #1
SilverCyanide

I'm good, all though I would like to note that once right around ten PM CST strikes I'll be gone for probably about the rest of the night. (We've got our dorm meeting thing and then I call my mother to read her a chapter of Harry Potter; then we have lights out.) I'm also currently on a class schedule (meaning I'm not frequently online), so 'ten minutes' really only works if the person answering is declared to be online, like posting and then editing with your answer or something along those lines.

Your birthday?

ETA: Actually, then ten minute rule seems fairly impractical no matter how you look at it if we're doing it on the forum, because half the time the forum is going to say our topic doesn't exist since it's new. Alternatives?

7/20/2010 . Edited 7/20/2010 #2
Ariadne's Twine

I'll moderate.

7/20/2010 #3
skies never so blue

RED! DX I WAS GONNA JUDGE! Grr... *stomps away*

7/20/2010 #4
Ariadne's Twine

We can do it together? I thought you'd left...

7/20/2010 #5
SilverCyanide

You can both judge. :) Your first order of business is finding an alternative to the ten minute rule, though, or simply declaring it null and void.

7/20/2010 #6
dreamcatcher96

I guess we don't need the ten minute rule, but try to post quickly so this doesn't take years.

I'm lucky, my birthday is on july 24th.

you can both judge, i guess.

ready?

7/20/2010 #7
Ariadne's Twine

Definitely Null and void. As my algebra teacher says: As long as you know it, you're right. I'm not here to judge you on your speed.

(What he actually said was: "It's my job to teach you; but not on a time limit.")

Close enough.

7/20/2010 #8
SilverCyanide

I'm ready. You're mega closer. Does this mean you're asking first or answering first?

ETA: One clarifying question: are we including Fantastic Beasts, Quidditch Through, and Beadle?

[And questions about Jo are on or off limits? There's only one real one that's important.]

7/20/2010 . Edited 7/20/2010 #9
dreamcatcher96

Asking.

What do Hermione's parents do for a living?

7/20/2010 #10
SilverCyanide

They're both dentists. [ETA: Info snob is info-y--they didn't want her to use magic to fix her teeth buuuuut she did. :3]

(See my clarifying question.)

Starting just as easy: What is Hermione's middle name?

7/20/2010 . Edited 7/20/2010 #11
dreamcatcher96

(No, just the original seven books.)

correct.

Wow. you call that easy? I don't know. What book was it in?

7/20/2010 #12
Ariadne's Twine

Wow, Dream. One wrong.

7/20/2010 #13
dreamcatcher96

She still has to prove she knows it. Well, what book was it in?

7/20/2010 #14
SilverCyanide

I'm confused; are you asking me about the question I provided, or was I supposed to give what book the question I just answered was out of?

7/20/2010 #15
Ariadne's Twine

She wants to know in which book they reveal Hermione's middle name.

7/20/2010 #16
dreamcatcher96

Sorr. The question you provided, because I didn't know it, you have to prove that it was a fair question

7/20/2010 #17
dreamcatcher96

*sorry

7/20/2010 #18
SilverCyanide

Oh. Deathly Hallows. Jo originally revealed it to be 'Jane' in interviews, but once DH was actually published the name was different, leading to confusion among fans who had bought the first printing and felt it was a typo. It is assumed Jo changed Hermione's middle name because Umbridge's is 'Jane'.

7/20/2010 #19
Ariadne's Twine

Please reveal the correct answer.

7/20/2010 #20
SilverCyanide

Jean. (Which is the only thing that's ever made me like my middle name a bit more...)

7/20/2010 #21
Kay Celestine

Um, why is there a HP thread on a PJO forum? o_0

7/20/2010 #22
SilverCyanide

Because I was challenged and so storm said we could. It's all with permizzzions, o' course~

7/20/2010 #23
skies never so blue

Kay- Because they are having a showdown to see who knows more about it. Storm allowed this. -nods-

7/20/2010 #24
dreamcatcher96

Judges, is that the correct answer?

What was the number of the vault at Gringotts that was emptied by Hagrid during Harry's first trip to Diagon Alley?

7/20/2010 #25
Ariadne's Twine

JUDGES' RULE: CORRECT ANSWER.

Okay. So, score (of incorrect answers.)

Gabi- 0

Dream- 1

7/20/2010 . Edited 7/20/2010 #26
SilverCyanide

Seven hundred and thirteen. (That's in Chapter Five of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's [original: Philosopher's] Stone, "Diagon Alley", but I only remember that chapter info since I read the chapter aloud to my mother last night.)

7/20/2010 #27
dreamcatcher96

Correct. Your question?

7/20/2010 #28
SilverCyanide

Who did McGonagall blame for the shooting stars over Kent on November 1st, 1981?

(Edited to take out weird Word source formatting.)

7/20/2010 . Edited 7/20/2010 #29
dreamcatcher96

Wizards celebrating Voldemort's "Defeat"

7/20/2010 #30
Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: storm-brain Your Sugar Sits Untouched, Kay Celestine, Aish Sheva, hecates
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member