Veritaville
we are the Veritas. By definition, the Veritas are not a cult, we are a political party dedicated to trying to make the fandom a better place. Or just chatting. Whatever strikes us.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
storm-brain

So there's been some controversy over this, and I just figured I'd make a topic so that we can straighten it out. Becuase there's newbs popping up faster than I can blink, and no one's really flaming/CCing anymore.

So I'm interested in hearing your opinion on this.

-What do the Veritas stand for now?

-And does any newb off the street get the title or is there a certain amount of time someone must stay/stuff to do?

8/27/2010 #1
The Evil Sniff

Really, I don´t think the Veritas have anything to stand by anymore, like Storm said above flames and flame wars are perishing. And they used to be a big part of the V´s. :P But I do think they look for and stand for:

-Grammar

- Giving a review that´s truthful on a story. This does not necesserily refer to flaming, but to giving advice to someone´s story who need´s help.

And for the time thing it´s really only if the Veritas themselves consider you one. And really I beleive it´s just a title nothing to whine over or beg for. Hell, I don´t consider myself a Verita and I probabply never will.

- Draco Ghost

8/27/2010 #2
hhhfhfhfhfhf

Sorry about the one above.

I think the Veritas should stand for poeple who understand the concept of 'Mary-Sue' and do not stand for any stories that have any of them in it, no matter how good the story is written.

Also, for newbies, perhaps you should do a spot check on them like do they write stories? If so is their grammer good, spelling good, if not help them out a bit. Then maybe you can make them offical 'Veritas'

Just a suggestion ^^

~Jed.Angst.Random

8/27/2010 #3
storm-brain

Yeah but good grammar does not a Verita make. It's hard, becuase we used to stand for flames and CC, and the Veritas were just the ones that stuck around and got the job done. But I can't remember the last story I reviewed for real- not the FM announcements- and many newbs just appear and talk on the forums and do nothing else...

More now we seem to be about D23 and prompts and FM and that kind of stuff...

8/27/2010 #4
hallowedhalls

I think Veritas are those of us who have a) flamed/CCed stories in PJO/HG/respective fandoms, and b) are regulars here. As in, people who have been here since the first couple of Ghost Towns. Oh, and c) participate in D23. And meet all, not just one or two, of those requirements. If you actually consider yourself one. *shrugs* Iunno, really, it's kinda hard to classify it. -.-;

8/27/2010 . Edited 8/27/2010 #5
asimplecritic

I think the Veritas are group of people who occasionally CC/flame stories, but mostly just chat.

8/27/2010 #6
storm-brain

because... I don't know. It used to mean something. It doesn't anymore.

8/27/2010 #7
Ariadne's Twine

I'm not completely comfortable answering this, considering I'm not sure where I am (Verita or not, welcome or not.)

But anyway, I believe that the Veritas are a group of friends who come to chat, rant, and be comforted. The Veritas are a band of insta!beta readers, pluggers, and just family. Who, when motivated, can and will shake up this fandom. :D

8/27/2010 #8
St. Petersburg

Phmmlp.

8/27/2010 . Edited 6/8/2011 #9
paschiel

What do the Veritas stand for... Hm... Interesting question, actually. See, I always thought they were constantly reviewing and such, trying to help the fandom out and get as many shit!fics as possible off the site. Then I came and I sort of realized that they are more like a really big family that kind of leans on everyone else and hangs out on the forum. I think that it is quite sad that very few people still review. I, after some recent events, have been trying to review more. Thing is that I CC and my reviews normally take like, twenty minutes to do... ^^

To the second question I say that you have to be really... accepted by the forum members, if that makes sense. Like, you have to get to talk to people and get to know them and review and post on the forum and socialize and get people to know you before you really become a Verita. I think that it is good if someone stays for a certain number of GTs because that means that they have been around for awhile and get how the forum works.

/end opinion

8/27/2010 #10
Musafreen

*hunts for words* Right, here goes;

I figure this forum is about people who gather around to talk, and who have interests in well-written fanfiction, good grammar and some sort of meaningfully meaningless conversation. I think most tend to review bluntly, as well. But these are just defining characteristics of people who hang around here. *shrugs*

I'm not sure what calling someone a Verita entitles. Acceptance and recognition by members is certainly a requisite; but from the time I've come in I've seen very few instances of active group CCing. And that was what the group was formed for in the first place, right?

Admittedly, the PJO fandom right now is... uhm. You know. CCing might not even be a viable option, because of the sheer amount of less than stellar fics out there.

Anyway, I figure the current group of Veritas extend to the older members who've done the group CCing thing. Newbs (including me) don't really get referred to as such, and I'm pretty sure no one thinks of us that way either.

There's my two cents. :)

8/28/2010 #11
Fishpony

I think being a Verita entitles that you must be a good writer, shows a passion in writing, and is overall a pretty cool person. :D

But I think seniority has something to do with it. I joined around the same time as Theia did but I started CCing much later. So I'm always hesitant to refer to myself as a Verita and most of the time I don't.

8/28/2010 #12
Infinity Blues

Being a Verita is striving for truth in the fandom.

Being a Verita is being a semi regular member of our forums.

Being a Verita is helping out the other Veirtas.

Being a Verita is instant!beta-ing.

Being a Verita is helping Veritas with self doubt.

Being a Verita is... BEING AWESOME.

8/28/2010 #13
The Evil Sniff

Personally, I beleive the only Veritas are the original ones. And they´re dying out becuase the Veritas used to stand for flames/CC and that´s basically gone. Sure they have Mary sue´s but the V´s are giving up and what they stand for no longer is put into play.

It is my regret to say that: The Veritas are a dying race. And it makes them sad becuase they we´re once huge and stuff. Now they´ve gone to just relaxing.

Like I said in my first post, it´s just a title. A title that´s regrettablly dying out.

8/28/2010 #14
St. Petersburg

Sto Pro Veritate.

8/28/2010 #15
paschiel

Personally, I beleive the only Veritas are the original ones.

To some extent I agree with that but you also have to realize that most of the originals quit reviewing completely. I mean, I am sure that the newbs review more than they do at this point. They are the "originals" and they started it and such, but they kind of... stopped. And now it is everyone else reviewing sporadically.

/opinion

8/28/2010 #16
paschiel

This post has been edited because Des is a fail. Please proceed past this post and never think of it again.

8/29/2010 . Edited 8/29/2010 #17
The Evil Sniff

Really after Rising and Honest left flaming began dying. And then it just almost compleyely stopped. Becuase they've just given up on the fandom and honestly we can't blame them.

8/29/2010 #18
storm-brain

Des, Dear, the Veritas were started summer of 2008. That was two years ago.

And it didn't die when they left. Flame Rising was like five years ago. Honest left winter 08.

8/29/2010 . Edited 8/29/2010 #19
The Evil Sniff

It didn't die, but it began to deteriorate.

8/29/2010 #20
paschiel

Oh, jeez, I'm an idiot. I just counted from like, a bit ago... *is a fail* *goes to edit post*

8/29/2010 #21
The Evil Sniff

Des- ^^

Honestly unless the V's come back with a major flame attack or something they'll be pretty much done for.

8/29/2010 . Edited 8/29/2010 #22
St. Petersburg

The thing is, we don't have an organized enemy. Ergo, we don't have a group to attack, just an archive that keeps filling up with illiteracy.

8/31/2010 #23
The Evil Sniff

Exactly, Peter. And becuase the fandom is filled to the freakin brim with crappy fics the V's can't keep up... even though mosy of them already quit.

So even if they did have that signifies the V's most of them still wouldn't come back.

9/1/2010 #24
Incendiarist

Well, I'm not sure if anyone really cares about the opinions of moi, but until I am, I'd point out that the name exists for a reason. 'Veritas' means 'truth'. As in, truthful, honest critiques of stories. For some of us, this comes in the form or polite suggestions, and for others (like Theia, or myself) in flames. Esse quam videri, my friends. Also, part of being considered one of the Veritas should be for one of the higher-ups (Theia, Storm, et cetera) to see what exactly the 'applicant' has on their profile. What kind of stories do they have on their favourites? And what is the quality level of those stories? I know that some of the newer Veritas members have stories on their favourites that I've flamed, some very harshly. And some are against flaming entirely, which isn't exactly what the intentions of those who followed in the footsteps of Honest101 are.

Well, thanks for reading my humble, Latin language induced ideas.

In verum, Winnifred

10/20/2010 #25
Lightfall

We need to be organised. Think Lucere. Organised CC.

10/20/2010 #26
LionessAmaya

veritas

1. (noun) A collection of friends, memories, and love

2. (noun) A group that has moved forward

3. (noun) A group that I have begun to leave behind

4. (noun) A group that will stay with me forever

Goodbye.

--

This isn't a "Goodbye, I'm leaving FOR-EH-VAH", but rather a nod to the end of an era. You might have noticed I haven't been around much. I won't be. I'll still show up on occasion. You won't notice much of a difference.

To Karma, to Ave, to Storm, to Kay, to Theia, to Reese, to Draco, to Zoe, to Thorn, to Kal, to Luna, to Cez, to Andy, to Rachel... To those who didn't immediately come to mind when I was writing this. To Sheva. To newbs, even. Especially Critic and Peter.

To Des.

To the Veritas.

Cheers.

10/20/2010 . Edited 10/20/2010 #27
storm-brain

I haven't been on much, but I'm always hanging around Skype. I just lurk, mostly.

*hugs Lion*

I don't have school on the 11th. It's veterns day.

10/20/2010 #28
LionessAmaya

*glomps Storm*

Gr... My dad found Skype on my computer. I told him I installed it on the recommendation of a friend and never used it. He uninstalled it without looking. Now I'm scared of re-installing it... DX

I'm arriving on the eleventh... Still, I'll talk to my mom and see what time we're getting there. The convo is on my gmail? No, fanmortals. 'Kay, I'll reply when I get on my iPod 11-ish tonight. I'm at my dad's, so...

10/20/2010 #29
Infinity Blues

VERITA (VAIR-ee-tahs)

1. She is a ____ (proper noun) A teenager (usually a girl) who is devoted to making PJO a better fandom, chatting with her (his) riting friends, and write.

2. I stand for ____ (noun) Truth (official)

3. I love to ____ (verb) To be amazing, to review harshly, to care for, to love

4. When I cant handle, I go to the ____ (noun, plural) A safe haven for sane people who need rest, a place to rejuvenate, advice, and friendship.

Opinionated View:

I feel blessed to be able to have contributed, and been a part of the amazing group I believe to be my friends, The Veritas. They have helped me through a lot of tough times, and helped pthers whose situations are far worse than mine. they have given everyone love and advice and help, and just a friend when they needed it. They will forever be in my heart, as long as I live I will remember these times, with "Those girls I met on the internet". They have changed my life in every way. They have helped me improve my writing drastically, and they have opened my mind to so many views and ideas, and I will be forever in debt to these amazing human beings.

A Verita, to me, is someone who is dedicated to the truth, making it happen, and caring for all other Veritas. Veritas have evolved so much, and of couse, I am not sn expert, I am a fairly new person the the veritas. But I believe that no matter how much we will change, we will always stand for one thing. Veritas.

~

Veritate Sto, lovelies.

10/20/2010 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: storm-brain Your Sugar Sits Untouched, Kay Celestine, Aish Sheva, queenly
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member