Veritaville
we are the Veritas. By definition, the Veritas are not a cult, we are a political party dedicated to trying to make the fandom a better place. Or just chatting. Whatever strikes us.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Musafreen

And yes, Storm's given her okay. :D

What you liked, what you didn't, what will happen next, who needs to be castrated. Babble, rant, screech, speak exclusively in capitals, whatever.

Spoilers are, naturally, allowed. Those of you who haven't read the book and want to enjoy it to the fullest, click the back button now.

XD

10/17/2010 . Edited by storm-brain, 11/22/2010 #1
Clockwork of Time

I loved this book! I was so shocked when I found out the Pipers mum was Aphrodite! You would have never guessed that!

10/17/2010 #2
the wise and the brave

I'm so mad at Rick.

I cannot believe that Percy hasn't been rescued yet.

I was so shocked when I discovered Jason is Thalia's brother.

Though I LUV the Roman Gods theme.

I feel like Rick had changed his writing style.

10/17/2010 #3
Musafreen

I feel like Rick had changed his writing style.

I guess it's hard to transition from First Person to Third Person. Nothing as snarky as Percy, though. Hopefully, there will be a few chapters from his point of view in the coming book. The Son of Neptune. Reading the title gave me shivers.

Did anyone notice how all the chapters were numbered in Roman Numerals? It got a little confusing. :D

I am in love with Leo Valdez. And the entire Hephaestus cabin. He is officialy the coolest god in my book. Except for Hera, maybe.

And I cannot believe I just said that.

10/17/2010 #4
the wise and the brave

I like Khione. I mean, she's evil but...

Yeah, I noticed that too...*sigh* No more funny chapter names.

10/17/2010 #5
asimplecritic

I dislike Piper's Mary Sueness. She isn't quite a Mary Sue but she's borderlining.

Also, Festus should have had a personality. D:

10/17/2010 #6
KrspaceT

I really don't want Percy's memory wiped, I mean for one thing, Posiedon wouldn't do that, or let it happen, and even with some gods feeling oddly scorned by Percy; Hermes, Artemis and Hestia at the least would not allow it. Jason not only was Hera's, um, offering (And thus her decision what to do with him), but the romans would be much more accepting of such a mission. Percy's memory being wiped wouldn't help unite the demigods, in short it would only cause a division in the gods!

Tis what I fear if Percy's memories are wiped.

10/17/2010 #7
Musafreen

Mmm... Poseidon (or any of the Olympians) never struck me as a protective parent. I mean, look at what they deal with on a regular basis. Temporary amnesia is probably less of a problem than constant life-or-death fights.

Hera's plan has it's merits. If kids from the Greek camp trust Jason, and kids from the Roman camp trust Percy (...which has got to be a lot harder), it'll go a long way towards them fighting together in the end. The gods you listed were all supporters of moving against the Titans before outright war was declared, and I doubt they would place the life of a mortal, even a loved one, above the possibility of world destruction.

And then there is how the Greek and Romans gods are more or less the same people. It's probably not very effective, arguing against yourself.

Oh who'm I kidding? I just plain want to see Percy in Roman Camp. Because he'll kick butt and get his butt kicked, which is the best combination ever.

One year. Damn.

10/17/2010 #8
KrspaceT

Here's the thing, if Poseidon knew that Percy was in Roman Camp, would he allow Tyson to search for him instead of working the forges? Same goes to Artemis and her hunters. Decides, think of the plot lines a divided Olympus would open up!

10/17/2010 #9
Tribute1

Didn't they all swear on the River Styx to never reveal that information? Chiron said something to that effect. And if Zeus essentially closed Olympus, Poseidon's hands would be tied. Tyson as his son would be cut off from information just like the other gods's children. And I don't think he would send Tyson to search for him anyway, aren't the gods prevented from interfering in their children's life?

A child of Aphrodite with some serious power, who would have thought it? Piper is an awesome character, love her. On the downside, I expect we will see hundreds of fanfics with children of Aphrodite charmspeaking now. Love the Leo character too.

I wonder who this Reyna is that Jason remembered toward the end. I bet she's a butt-kicking chick like Annabeth but with more attitude, the Romans being more warlike and all. Can't wait to read more!

Okay we know what we liked about it, now lets hear what everyone thought was the low points of the books or the parts you really didn't like. Personally I would like to have read more about the new camp and cabins. We know there are twenty cabins now and the God of Sleep has one. I really didn't care for the Clovis character, he provided some comedy and helpful information but I don't know. He's definitely my least favorite of the new characters. I wanted to read more about some other new cabins. I'm sure it's coming in the future but I just expected a little more in that area.

I have rambled long enough, so glad this new thread is here. I was about to bust, I wanted to talk to someone about the new book.

10/17/2010 #10
Tribute1

Almost forgot, Gaea as the main antagonist! Now there was something I would have never guessed. I always viewed her as this benevolent force, Mother Earth and all. But she did have her son Kronos castrate his father and her husband. Ballsy female, pun intended.

10/17/2010 . Edited 10/17/2010 #11
KrspaceT

I guessed it quite readily, the Gigantamachy and all that. I was sort of hoping for Egyptians or Norse, though?

10/17/2010 #12
horseyfan

Okay so I really liked The Lost Hero. I'm glad Rome is being represented!

I miss the chapter titles like PJO had, they were entertaining and sometimes informative. The character's name is no comparison, couldn't the chapter feature the name and title like The Red Pyramid? I know it sounds like a stupid complaint but I'm half serious.

I also miss the first person perspective but I understand that third person was a more logical choice.

I liked Jason and can't wait to learn about the Roman camp and Percy's perspective on everything.

I'm happy to see the new plot is the Giant War, though the fact the main villain was Gaea was way too obvious.

The power of charmspeaking makes sense. As soon as I heard about it I knew Circe had been charmspeaking to Percy and Annabeth in The Sea of Monsters.

10/17/2010 #13
KrspaceT

Good connection. I do miss the lack of personalization in chapter names. Win some, lose some, I guess.

10/17/2010 #14
the wise and the brave

Yes. Now, there will be hundreds of Charm speaking Aphrodite Kids and Firepower Hephaestus Kids...

This seems like a Mary Sue's Dream...

10/17/2010 #15
asimplecritic

I dislike that charmspeak is with Aphrodite. It kind of make sense, but it would fit more with like Hecate.

10/17/2010 #16
KrspaceT

Shiver, I agree OceanWater

10/17/2010 #17
Midnight Sol

I just got it!

omygodomygodomygod! *spaz*

Fangirl moment over. I apologize that you guys had to see that.

As for the book, I'm only on chapter two.

...I need to catch up to y'all.

10/17/2010 #18
asimplecritic

It's good.^.^

On the same level of goodness/awesomeness as Sea of Monsters, in my opinion.

10/17/2010 #19
Cezariaz

I like the book, but it's way too predictable. Or maybe my brain just works too hard.

10/17/2010 #20
Peter Ji

Pax Romana, ergo sum. Roma vincet!

Best so far. Epic, dark, brooding, and much more expanded! Hihihi!

*giggles*

10/17/2010 . Edited 10/17/2010 #21
Musafreen

Is anyone else cheering over the shotgun scene? About time they stared using modern weapons. Oh, and I really liked Mellie. :)

10/17/2010 . Edited 10/17/2010 #22
Tribute1

I didn't like the shotgun scene. It just didn't seem right to me. Half-bloods train with weapons made from Celestial Bronze. Just blowing away monsters with Celestial Bronze bullets or whatever, I don't know there's nothing exciting there to me.

Can you imagine some of the fanfics with demigods using shotguns to kill monsters? Charmspeaking gun-toting Aphrodite kids and Fire-using Hephaestus kids, get ready it's coming, lol! Blah!

10/18/2010 #23
Peter Ji

Well, modern warfare has revealed that guns are more efficient in killing than swords. Look at the Aztecs...

A firefight between demigods would be nice. And in my fanfiction, there is a nice little mercenary demigod with a customized AK-200.

Ergo: :P

10/18/2010 #24
Musafreen

*nods* Efficiency, yea.

And besides, it could be possible to give half-bloods some downsides to using guns. Like less inherent skill, for one. Or the requirements of bronze bullets sorely exceeding the celestial bronze supply, because bullets can't be retrieved. Immunity to bullets, because they aren't quite as infused with magic or carefully made as conventional weapons. Stuff like that.

But the fact that they're there, in the background makes me happy. :D And with this shitload of work I've just been dumped with, I could use a bit of happy. D:

10/18/2010 #25
Clockwork of Time

As much as we seem to always say (me and my friends) for Harry Potter - why not shoot Voldy? Or for Percy Jackson- why not shoot them? But it just doesn't seem right that they use guns, as cool as it would be, it just doesn't feel right, if you get what I mean.

10/18/2010 #26
KrspaceT

Every weapon has its weaknesses, I guess. Lightsabres can't be used in the water, Bright Steel is immensely rare, Celestial Bronze can't harm mortals and Nuclear Bombs do a lot of collateral Damage.

10/18/2010 #27
asimplecritic

On the topic of weapons...

I'm not completely pleased with Jason's weapon. A coin you flip just seems impractical.

10/18/2010 #28
Cezariaz

Yeah, can't you just snatch the coin out of the air? XD

10/18/2010 #29
asimplecritic

Yes!

So that bothered me when I first read it.

10/18/2010 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: storm-brain Your Sugar Sits Untouched, Kay Celestine, Aish Sheva, queenly
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member