Veritaville
we are the Veritas. By definition, the Veritas are not a cult, we are a political party dedicated to trying to make the fandom a better place. Or just chatting. Whatever strikes us.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
w-l-k

Hello, I'm Enter-Stinky. I'm (obviously) new to this forum, and I just have a simple question concerning a certain type of story I keep seeing posted. What is the charm of having Percy Jackson characters read their own books?" :| I see like 5-7 of these, every page just lurking for a decent story, and I am honestly just confuzzled. If anyone would be so kind as to answer, I'm just curious :)

1/31/2012 #1
Skyuni123

Well, I like them because even though the characters are reading the same books, each author has a different spin on how the characters react. Some authors write different relationships into these stories, and I also like how the concept of reading books that you're in breaks the fourth wall. :)

1/31/2012 #2
Skyuni123

Well, I like them because even though the characters are reading the same books, each author has a different spin on how the characters react. Some authors write different relationships into these stories, and I also like how the concept of reading books that you're in breaks the fourth wall. :)

1/31/2012 #3
Incendiarist

Hi there, ...Stinky? I'm Cendi.

To answer your question, there is none. It's against the copyright, against the ToS, the characters are rarely IC, the romances are (since last I checked, which, it must be said, was 'round a year ago; I don't go into the PJatO archives. But I can't imagine it's really changed that much.) almost always soppy Percabeth (ohgodskillmenow) and Thalico (evenworsethanPercabethhowisthatevenpossible), and even as Skyuni123 (I'm sorry, I have no idea who you are.) has pointed out that there are different ways the characters might react, it has to be kept in mind that there really aren't that many ways this plot can go, not if anyone is even vaguely IC. There are variations on the same comments, maybe, and that's that.

Now, if it were possible to write this plot in a way which weren't illegal, it could be well done, assuming the books themselves are there as a plot device for the characters to understand themselves and each-other better, and not the main piece of the story. The best types of MSTings are those which have plots going on within the commentary. Sadly, however, our dearly departed fandom does not understand that.

1/31/2012 #4
Cezariaz

Not to be rude, Stinky, but you have to ask one of the mods before creating a new thread. It's one of the rules of this forum.

That being said, I suppose people create these stories because they think the stories are amusing. And I suppose it's one of those horrible trends (like the increase of paranormal romances since Twilight became popular, ugh). People new to the fandom see many of these stories, assume that they're popular, and write them to get reviews.

2/1/2012 #5
Musafreen

What is the charm of having Percy Jackson characters read their own books?

I can't see any, to tell the truth. *shrugs* Like Cendi said, there is never anything new added to the storyline, and all the even remotely IC ones have the exact same/similar dialogue. And then there is all the romance and people going "Ooh, you like her!", which is frankly nauseating.

Mind you; as decent stories are sort of rare in the PJO fandom, I'd take an IC-esque story of that kind over a sappy Percabeth/Thalico/any-other-romance. I'd still rather go read something with more substance, but that's not really an option since I don't have the patience to wade through most of the Archive and because I always dissolve into wails of "Why is my fandom so messed up?!" after the first ten minutes. XD

2/1/2012 #6
Tzadikim

I, personally-speaking, found some brilliant ones for Harry Potter. But I think that's because of the level of the subplots.

The thing is that you need a plot for that, not just reading, but an actual plot.

Also, you need to clear it by Strom Brain if you wanted to make a topic. Clearly you haven't read the rules.

2/1/2012 #7
w-l-k

I apologize, but I did scope out the forum before making it, looking for an existing topic to ask this question, but I didn't really find one. I must have missed that rule too D: Really sorry.

Anyway thank you all for replying, it was just curiosity is all. I won't be making in more topics after this :)

2/1/2012 #8
Forum Moderators: storm-brain Your Sugar Sits Untouched, Kay Celestine, Aish Sheva, queenly
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member