Literate Union
Sometimes our posts just like to pull a Houdini.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »
piewacket

I'll take obvious answers for $500, Alex.

...this stuff we're saying now will all be gone by tomorrow, won't it?

What would be a likely bet?

Is are there any good OOC stories? It seems it's done commonly in Harry Potter fics to Draco, but so far it seems to be gradual changes in his personality.

That would be an OC, not an OOC. I think OCs (original characters) can work. I use them a lot in my stories.

9/13/2010 . Edited 9/13/2010 #301
obi-glasses

The bigger question is, what should be our aim? Following rules to the letter? Or a pleasant reading and writing experience for the users?(takes foot out of mouth) It's not so hard to do both at the same time, Thrandy.

9/13/2010 #302
HexGirl4

-confused-. But Draco is a character from the books, someone who doesn't like Harry or his frieds. Wouldn't it be OOC then since he personality changes, even though it's gradual?

9/13/2010 . Edited 9/13/2010 #303
Kokoyumi

What would be a likely bet?

Probably low.

As for the hacking thing, I've never heard anything about it from anyone that might know. Though I obviously don't know anyone at all that would have anything to do with the very serious crime that is hacking. With very serious punishments, I might add. Hacking is bad.

9/13/2010 #304
Aquaman52

As for the hacking thing, I've never heard anything about it from anyone that might know. Though I obviously don't know anyone at all that would have anything to do with the very serious crime that is hacking. With very serious punishments, I might add. Hacking is bad.

*THE MORE YOU KNOW*

9/13/2010 . Edited 9/13/2010 #305
Kokoyumi

THE MORE YOU KNOW

I don't endorse hacking on any level. Pen testing is okay, though.

9/13/2010 #306
piewacket

-confused-. But Draco is a character from the books, someone who doesn't like Harry or his frieds. Wouldn't it be OOC then since he personality changes, even though it's gradual?

Sorry, I misread your post and did not see that you mentioned Draco. As for OOC, it's really a matter of taste. Some people insist on strict adherence to canon, while others not so much. If it is gradual, you give legit reasons for the change and Draco is still recognizable, it shouldn't upset too many people.

9/13/2010 . Edited 9/13/2010 #307
HexGirl4

Yeah, it's not right off the bat change, but when he changes, Draco still has some of original personality left, and that's usually reserved for his father.

9/13/2010 . Edited 9/13/2010 #308
Aquaman52

Yeah, it's not right off the bat change, but when he changes, Daco still has some of original personality left, and that's usually reserved for his father.

If that's what it sounds like to me, then I personally wouldn't have an issue with that. My biggest pet peeve is when people completely change the characters' personalities for the sake of a pairing (usually slash, but I think that's just a coincidence...I've seen a couple slash fics that I really enjoyed, because they were written tastefully and without completely and utterly destroying the canon characters).

9/13/2010 #309
Pure Evil Breed

You know, I've just had a fabulous idea. Why don't you all take this to the Daily Debate thread? That way, it won't be called complaining and won't clogged up this thread. Everyone is happy.

(Or at least, they should be)

E: On the matter of RB, of course.

9/13/2010 . Edited 9/13/2010 #310
LionessAmaya

Kelvin mentioned a rating diagnostic tool? Where can it be found?

9/13/2010 #311
Pure Evil Breed

Amaya, the link is expired. You'd have to wait for Kelvin to make a new one tomorrow.

9/13/2010 #312
LionessAmaya

Thanks, Evie. :)

9/13/2010 #313
Lord Kelvin

Has he no idea what that will do to LOTR writers with multi-chapter stories with Elvish dialog that needs to be translated?

FFN does not individualise rules to suit every fandom. Warriors books, for instance, tend to have a character sheet, a list as chapter one. Writers that post such lists get banned nonetheless. Take your doubts to the admin if the answers you get here do not satisfy.

9/13/2010 #314
Starboomer

So now 2 questions.

1. Does LU as a community realize that Redbootton, which is a pain to write and awkward to say and is a bot, violates the TOS of FFN.net?

2. My previous post asking the above question was deleted I believe and was a valid post. So my second question is: Why?

9/13/2010 #315
Lord Kelvin

Uhh...you can ask rhetoric questions somewhere else. Your question has a false premise and you haven't even introduced yourself.

Third time's the charm.

9/13/2010 #316
The Pirate on Wheels

Uhh...you can ask rhetoric questions somewhere else. Your question has a false premise and you haven't even introduced yourself.

The technical term is a loaded question.

9/13/2010 #317
Thranduil Oropherion Redux

FFN does not individualise rules to suit every fandom. Warriors books, for instance, tend to have a character sheet, a list as chapter one. Writers that post such lists get banned nonetheless. Take your doubts to the admin if the answers you get here do not satisfy.

*shakes head* It's not as if we're responding to fans or chatting with our homies at the end of every chapter. It's done for the convenience of the readers. As if the chapters were part of a serial, which indeed they are. You honestly would like to see a story with modest author notes at the end of a chapter deleted?

How, please tell me, is this going to disturb Ma'at?

PS: What the hell is GTAJake Mark II?

9/13/2010 #318
Lord Kelvin

Reasons that apply to your motivation to write an author's note are not universal. They have a law against throwing moose out of a plane in Alaska for a reason. Argue that it's stupid, but it was a valid reason for someone. If it's still active, that reason must still be active.

An author on FFN.

What do you recommend I do with loaded questions?

9/13/2010 #319
obi-glasses

Diverting this thread back to its original purpose, and asking a really dumb question: If you start up a story where people can submit questions and the fandom's characters answer them, while simultaneously asking people to submit questions to your PM, not answering questions in reviews and putting initials in place of the asker's pennames, can you get around the "no interactivity" rule?

9/13/2010 . Edited 9/13/2010 #320
Starboomer

kk Third Time's the charm. And for that I will ask 3 questions now.

1. Does LU as a community realize that Redbootton, which is a pain to write and awkward to say and is a bot, violates the TOS of FFN.net?

2. Why will no one answer a simple question?

3. Are you afraid of people finding out the truth?

The reason why I did not introduce myself is because I generally feel no need to join this community. I merely wanted information "Straight from the horse's mouth."

Beyond that yes a firm grasp on grammar is important to have, especially when writing in a public forum such as FFN.net. However Grammar and Spelling Checking programs are notorious at being, well, bad at what they are supposed to do. Furthermore the part of RB that amounts to a censor of MA topics in a fanfic is just that a censor and frankly Starboomer no like censors. Yes that last bit was purposefully like it is. So yeah that is about all I wanted to say and know, right now.

9/13/2010 #321
Starboomer

@ Lord Kelvin's last post

People like you are the reason we can't have nice things.

9/13/2010 . Edited 9/13/2010 #322
The Pirate on Wheels

What do you recommend I do with loaded questions?

Just point it out, back up, and ask them to prove the assumption or implication inherent in their question.

9/13/2010 #323
Starboomer

Ja, usually works but I didn't really mean to ask a loaded question. I just really want to know why a group of people that report stories for not following the TOS of a site are supporting a program that when used in its intended purpose also violates the said site's TOS. Pot calling the kettle black?

9/13/2010 #324
Thranduil Oropherion Redux

An author on FFN.

No result found matching your keyword(s)/phrase. Please expand your search.

That means, useless answer. Fail.

9/13/2010 #325
Lord Kelvin

http://www.fanfiction.net/~gtajakemkii

Third time was the charm, Starboomer.

9/13/2010 #326
Marleen

Ask ahead? I don't have to ask why you're awesome because you're certainly not... I enjoy reading stories on FFN for years now and think it's very strange that some people like your union are allowed to ruin it. The only question is why does FFN allow it? You're certainly not a good writer, I read one of your stories Lord Kelvin and it was maybe without faults (I wouldn't know because I'm not a native english-speaker), but also without anything interesting... That's isn't important though: what I don't like, I won't read anymore and you're a fanfictionwriter, so you're allowed not be the best writer. Cut other writers some slack too.

9/13/2010 #327
Starboomer

Ja, usually works but I didn't really mean to ask a loaded question. I just really want to know why a group of people that report stories for not following the TOS of a site are supporting a program that when used in its intended purpose also violates the said site's TOS. Pot calling the kettle black?

9/13/2010 #328
Starboomer

9/13/2010 #329
Starboomer

So yeah the three of the same post thing was accidental. I was having internet problems. I apologize for that.

9/14/2010 #330
« Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Georgasaurus Ten ways to spoil dinner, Bitter Sea Light
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member