Literate Union
Sometimes our posts just like to pull a Houdini.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 35 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 55 .. Last Next »
Xodios

Is there an online quiz that I can take to see if my original character is a Mary-sue/ Gary-stu?

5/3/2011 #1,321
Sextuple Covalent Mo2 Bond

Indeed there is.

http://www.springhole.net/quizzes/marysue.htm

5/3/2011 #1,322
Lady Elizabeth of New York

What's a troll? Is it a person with bad spelling and grammar or a person who writes or posts to stir up trouble?

5/4/2011 #1,323
Lord Kelvin

The second by default. The first is a bonus to make the second easier.

Troll is also a defensive mechanism of teens online nowadays. If you have a negative opinion on something, a teenager would defensively call you a troll and try to make you admit you only wrote such an opinion to hurt someone. Bluntly: negative opinions do not exist for real.

5/4/2011 #1,324
St. Elsewhere

...I think there's something wrong with my computer.

We run on Windows 7, right? It's got the interface and everything.

So, imagine my surprise when I go to apply for university and get this:

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k599/intorqueo15/Win32.png?t=1304571426

Lolwhut?

I've also noticed something else. When I go to open up a .docx file, I get this:

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k599/intorqueo15/NotValid.jpg?t=1304571954

If it's a compatibility file, it's fine, though. Anyone know what the hell is going on?

5/4/2011 #1,325
Lord Kelvin

It looks like a conflict between 64 bit and 32 bit applications. Some versions of an application only work with 32 or 64 bit systems.

Though, if you are experiencing other issues, you may want to 1 scan your computer for viruses 2 use a registry cleaner/optimisation tool to remove any errors.

5/5/2011 #1,326
N. Harmonik

For how much longer is this going to be called the 'Lituruture Onion'?

5/7/2011 #1,327
Lord Kelvin

George already changed her pen name back to the regular one. Shouldn't take long.

5/7/2011 #1,328
Bitter Sea Light

For how much longer is this going to be called the 'Lituruture Onion'?

For as long as Jess wants it to be called the 'Lituruture Onion'. :P

5/7/2011 #1,329
N. Harmonik

It's quite premature to be asking this but, any tips on how to avoid fraud and trickery when looking for a would-be publisher of your own novel?

5/8/2011 #1,330
Kokoyumi

It's quite premature to be asking this but, any tips on how to avoid fraud and trickery when looking for a would-be publisher of your own novel?

Go with a well-known publisher. I'm not sure what you mean, though. They're not going to steal the manuscript from you and publish it as someone else's if that's what you mean.

5/8/2011 #1,331
whisperasweknowit

If you wanted to be safe, you could get a copyright before sending it out.

5/8/2011 #1,332
Lord Kelvin

Look for signs of good governance in their website.

-Several ways to contact them, including a real address and working phone number.

-Professional build.

-Little negative feedback on fiction writer forums.

-Precise guidelines of manuscript selection and review.

Also, it's definitely a good sign if the publisher has a presence in online or physical book stores. ISBN codes help.

Beware of any licensing agreements added to the submission form and whether they are active before printing. When you post something on FFN or Fiction Press, you grant FictionPress LLC a non-exclusive license. Ergo, no royalties for you.

Check for additional clauses to royalty payment. Publishers may deduct royalties from every new edition even if it has little changes.

5/8/2011 #1,333
wach

Would a forum-based, community-written, admin-posted story be against any rules? Curious.

5/9/2011 #1,334
Jebbykins

Would a forum-based, community-written, admin-posted story be against any rules? Curious.

1. Forums are not to be used to post stories.

It's right beneath us, y'know!

5/10/2011 #1,335
Shanrock

1. Forums are not to be used to post stories.

I think she means a story written by members of this forum, about members of this forum (which isn't real-person, as we can all be considered personae online), published on a single account who I imagine would be hers, since she came up with the idea.

When it boils down, I reckon the only rule you could be breaking is real person, but it depends on your interpretation.

5/10/2011 #1,336
swinging from saturn

Is there any set limitations to the number of persons or accounts allowed on a mod bar? If there are, how can you know about it; does FFN send you an email alert, or does a pop-up appear?

5/10/2011 #1,337
Lord Kelvin

There is no limit (as far as I know); just the mod bar ends up looking ugly when a second or third line appears.

5/10/2011 #1,338
swinging from saturn

Ah, thank you.~

5/10/2011 #1,339
wach

.. Given that the posts themselves contained no content of the actual story, and only pertained to the actual writing of it, I assume it'd be acceptable. Is what I meant. Hypothetical situation of course. Thanks much. *nod*

5/10/2011 #1,340
Doctorre

Question about grammar: Should you capitalize the word after a dialogue quote? For example:

The two met on the sidewalk.

"So Frank, what's the deal with quotes?" he said, lighting a cigarette. Frank shrugged, "I don't know Jack." he said, borrowing a light from Jack.

Should I capitalize the h after the quotes?

5/11/2011 #1,341
wach

Keep the h lowercase.

5/11/2011 #1,342
Doctorre

Much obliged mistah, a thousand interwebs to you.

5/11/2011 #1,343
Aron

"So Frank, what's the deal with quotes?" he said, lighting a cigarette. Frank shrugged, "I don't know Jack." he said, borrowing a light from Jack.

Should I capitalize the h after the quotes?

Shrugging isn't an action of speech, so you shouldn't use it as a direct lead-in to speech. Oh, and you're putting two different speakers' words in the same line. Your line should look like this:

"So Frank, what's the deal with quotes?" he said, lighting a cigarette. [Frank shrugged.]

[Frank shrugged.] "I don't know Jack," he said, borrowing a light from Jack.

The [Frank shrugged.] part can go in either place.

5/11/2011 #1,344
St. Elsewhere

Should be:

"So Frank, what's the deal with quotes?" he asked, lighting a cigarette.

Frank shrugged. "I don't know, Jack," he said, borrowing a light from Jack.

IMO.

5/11/2011 #1,345
N. Harmonik

If there is a mental illness of pure evil (Antisocial Personality Disorder), might there also be a 'mental illness' of pure good?

5/15/2011 #1,346
Elizabeth Burke

If anyone still talks to DNA (the person, not the building block of lifeforms) will they let him know I miss him?

5/15/2011 #1,347
St. Elsewhere
Pep dropped from the face of the earth almost a year ago. No-one has talked to him since.
5/15/2011 #1,348
Elizabeth Burke

I figured as much, but sometimes talking about a person seems to make them appear. It worked with a few other people, like Darrin.

But now for a new question so I don't spam the thread:

Does anyone have a suggestion for getting two closed off characters talking? Because the way I have the scene written now it feels forced, like character 1 went "This is a desperate situation, I am going to completely abandon my MO and tell a complete stranger everything there is to know about me". And that's just pathetic.

5/16/2011 #1,349
Cerulean City

Does anyone have a suggestion for getting two closed off characters talking? Because the way I have the scene written now it feels forced, like character 1 went "This is a desperate situation, I am going to completely abandon my MO and tell a complete stranger everything there is to know about me". And that's just pathetic. What are the characters; what is the situation?

5/16/2011 #1,350
« Prev Page 1 .. 35 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 55 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Georgasaurus Ten ways to spoil dinner, Bitter Sea Light
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member