Literate Union
Sometimes our posts just like to pull a Houdini.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 .. Last Next »
Lord Kelvin

This is the serious literature thread. Here are the guidelines:

-no pets

-no laughing

-no dessert

-no typos

-no children

-no free cable

Yes, you can talk about books here.

Yes, this is the least serious post in the topic so far.

7/10/2010 . Edited by Bitter Sea Light, 8/30/2011 #1
Georgasaurus

*sits on a hurse gigling and eatting vanila eyce crem*

7/10/2010 #2
Lord Kelvin

I hope you are raped by Paul the psychic octopus.

No, it's not a published book.

7/10/2010 #3
Georgasaurus

I linked it on the forum. I know. :D

*headpat*

7/10/2010 #4
Lord Kelvin

How are transgenics related to inner discoveries?

7/10/2010 #5
Qzil

I am currently reading the Fox and the Hound by Daniel Mannix. 8D

It is not happy.

7/10/2010 #6
Aquaman52

*breaks pledge to stay off forum for thirty seconds*

"The Passage", by Justin Cronin, is now officially my favorite book ever. If you were to imagine the bastard child of a threesome between the Fallout series, I Am Legend, and Stephen King, this book would be it. It's 760 pages, and it's only part one of three...this guy must be my clone. XD

7/10/2010 #7
mutemockingjay

I hope you are raped by Paul the psychic octopus.

I shouldn't have laughed at this as much as I did. XDDDDDD

But book wise, I just finished Chocolat by Joanne Harris and fell in love with it. It was really, really beautifully written, I loved the main character and it has a lot of chocolate in it.

What more can you ask of a book? :K

7/11/2010 #8
Dr Facer

I got my hands on "The Amityville Horror: A True Story" by Jay Anson last Saturday. It has been out of print where I live for decades, so I decided to buy it online after years of trying to find it. So far it has been interesting in a "read only once" way; let's just say it was not really what I expected and that I would rather re-read the Exorcist or Hannibal instead... but I already got it, so I might as well finish reading it.

7/12/2010 #9
piewacket

Thank you all for responding. Now, I am going to ask for more from you.

What was /is it about these books that you like? The characters? Plotline? Mood? Setting?

Be specific. Would you recommend it to a friend? your mom? A teacher?

If you could change anything about it, what would it be?

7/18/2010 #10
mutemockingjay

What was /is it about these books that you like?

Everything, so I'll break it down. xD

The characters?

The character I loved the most was the main character, Vianne. Not only because of her name but I just loved everything she did- how she grew up traveling everywhere and never really settled; running away from the demons that haunted her mother. I loved the way she was bright and open minded and vibrant- I was instantly attracted to her personality and insightfulness that helped get the quiet members of the town begin to open up and come to life.

I also really loved the character of Armande- an old woman who frequents Vianne's chocolate shop. She's sassy and defiant and likes to wear red petticoats under her black widow's dresses. She's like the grandmother I want to be one day.

While I thought the protagonist, the Catholic priest, was really interesting the past that made him who he is was really vague. I totally get why his past would be shadowy in the beginning but it should have been more clear in the end.

Mood? Setting?

I really, really loved the atmosphere the book had. This shadowy, quaint little French town, and the chocolate shop. Goddamn, I wanted so much of that chocolate.

If I had to change something I would have made the Priest's past more clear. It was just /too/ ambiguous for my liking.

7/20/2010 #11
Aquaman52

What was /is it about these books that you like? The characters? Plotline? Mood? Setting?

I loved the fact that it felt just like the story I'm writing (i.e. really long, lots of main characters with deep backstories and copious amounts of emotional turmoil, and a "Hero's Journey" type plot), and I also loved how it was written in fairly simple prose that was very poetic as well.

Be specific. Would you recommend it to a friend? your mom? A teacher?

Well, my mom actually recommended it to me, so...yeah. I'd definitely recommend it to a few of my friends, though.

If you could change anything about it, what would it be?

Umm...make the ending not suck as much? And I guess it was a bit annoying once the author did the whole "fade to black on a situation where a character everyone loves is absolutely surely dead only to pop back in a little while later and reveal that, hey, everything's fine and we're all ready to do this whole thing again" thing for the fourth time.

7/21/2010 #12
Ataokoloinona

Zombies vs. Unicorns is an anthology of epic awesomeness attempting to answer the question: Which is better? Zombies or Unicorns? Compiled by Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier.

Personally I like Unicorns more because they aren't ugly, undead cannibals. But after reading this book... I like Zombies a lot more. There were some really good stories in this book, and some really funny ones too. I feel like writing my own story about it now too. XD

11/16/2010 #13
Bitter Sea Light

*post*

11/25/2010 #14
SeoulGamer

Edited: moved to Jagshemash thread.

12/23/2010 . Edited 12/23/2010 #15
TLOSpyrogirl

Read Milkweed!

1/14/2011 #16
Onyx Gallan

Reading Mister Monday by Garth Nix and The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

1/20/2011 #17
Profile Has Been Closed

The Last Jihad by Joel Rosenburg. Wish You Well by David Baldacci

1/22/2011 #18
Ten ways to spoil dinner

I just finished reading the first Hunger Games book. It was pretty good, though nothing too spectacular. Better than most of the drivel that's become popular, so I'm happy. Was kinda odd seeing so many other people reading it at lunch, today. I'm used to being the only person in school who's actually read a certain book.

3/3/2011 #19
Onyx Gallan

Redwall by Brian Jacques

The Transall Saga by Gary Paulsen

3/6/2011 #20
piewacket

Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier

Based on two real life women, it depicts a fictionalized friendship that develops amidst the social strictures of the late 1700s and early 1800s in England. It is in remarkable in that I learned a great deal about the role that women played in early palaeontology, most of which is never taught in school.

3/26/2011 #21
whisperasweknowit

Looking For Alaska by John Green

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan

Paper Towns by John Green.

3/26/2011 #22
Edan Marie

I'm currently reading Infinite Days, but I don't have the book with me and I forgot the author name. I'm actually reading it for the second time- I'm running out of books to read!!!- and I'm loving it all over again.

I also recently read Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick- loved it! I would recommend these two books to anyone.

3/31/2011 #23
whisperasweknowit

I also recently read Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick- loved it! I would recommend these two books to anyone.

So was I really the only one who hated Hush, Hush? You're the third person I know who's read Becca's books, and the third person to love it. :/

3/31/2011 #24
Athenarena

I have just finished The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien. It is very much like Alice in Wonderland with it's creative absurdity. It is a good read and very humourous although at times a tad confusing and a little daft. It definitely makes me want to read more of this Irish author.

7/2/2011 #25
Corrupted Lament

Currently reading Atlas Shrugged.

It is... not as good as Fountainhed.

However, I do like the characters and the plot line is epic.

7/2/2011 #26
piewacket

I preferred Atlas Shrugged. However, the writing in both novels is overwrought and a tad juvenile. But, I like the philosophical issues she explores, so I'm willing to put up with it.

7/2/2011 #27
kaiju3

Battle Royale, or as I like to call it, the original Hunger Games. Very interesting story and each character is fleshed out before meeting their untimely demise. Exciting action and emotion.

7/3/2011 #28
wach

I loved that one, it was so horribly gruesome/awesome. ♥

.. (I) Reread White Oleander, ah.

7/3/2011 . Edited 7/3/2011 #29
A Tengu Reporter

Am currently reading Vampire Academy. Heaps better than Twilight. ♥

7/4/2011 #30
Page 1 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Georgasaurus Ten ways to spoil dinner, Bitter Sea Light
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member