Literate Union
Sometimes our posts just like to pull a Houdini.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »
Edan Marie

I'm also reading the Vampire Academy series. It is indeed a lot better than Twilight- it's well written, with characters who have actual personalities and flaws. Unfortunately, I have no clue what's going on in the series, since I started with the third book and now I'm reading the sixth.

I'm also loving The Girl With Glass Feet. It's an unusual, original idea that I completely love, and I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys unique books.

7/5/2011 #31
Ten ways to spoil dinner

Have been reading the Halo Books. Pretty good.

/Bumpage~

8/5/2011 #32
Double Dee Dee

Does anyone have a copy of On the Road To In Your Ass by Red's Foot?

None of the libraries seem to have it around my town.

It was too good to pass up. |D

8/7/2011 #33
queerasheckie

I am reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

It's basically Pride and Prejudice with 'zombie' at the end of each sentence.

Has anyone else read it?

/BUMP!~

8/18/2011 #34
Dreamyy

This is my attempt to revive a random thread.

This book is mainly for girls and it's really sweet. This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen.

Actually, any book by Sarah Dessen is really amazing.

11/27/2011 #35
Howlitzer

Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy. It's a big, long book, but the chapters are paced ridiculously well. Normally, a book of this size would be tedious to read, but Clancy makes it work brilliantly.

It deals with a terrorist plot and the counter-terrorism team(s) assigned to stop it. There's espionage, deception...all that good war stuff. A very satisfying read.

11/27/2011 #36
Night Monkey

I just finished Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey by Chuck Palahniuk. He's the guy that wrote Fight Club. Anyway, the book starts off relatively normal, but somewhere in the middle it just strips off its clothes and dives straight into crazy. That's about what you expect from Palahniuk, I guess. But the book's about this kid who is born in the country and goes to the city to seek his real father. Only in the city, people are divided into two times. Not just classes, times. Night-timers and Day-timers. One comes out at night and is mostly the young and uneducated. The other class owns the day. It's a bit dystopian, too, I suppose. But that isn't the crazy part. Out of almost nowhere, it goes from being a story about these Night-timers holding demolition derbies to feel alive to this quasi-philosophical idea of traveling back in time and either killing your parents to make yourself a god by creating yourself ex nihilo, or becoming your own ancestor by doing the deed with your grandmother (or great-grandmother or both). And then there's a plague of rabies. I don't think it's for everyone, but if you can handle the weird and the sometimes vulgar, then it's not bad.

11/29/2011 #37
Double Dee Dee

Finished reading The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates by Wes Moore. The summary of the novel is about two kids (same names) that grew up fatherless and had difficult childhoods; both hung out in relatively bad neighborhoods (Baltimore and Bronx) and ran into trouble with the police. However, one of them grew up to be a scholar and decorated veteran while the other ended up a convicted murderer. Without spoiling anything, this whole story focuses on the aspect of their decisions that will determine the outcome of their future.

A little excerpt from the novel: "The chilling is that his story could have been mine. The tragedy is that my story could have been his."

It was an extremely enjoyable read since there are several instances in the story when I felt the same way or I can relate with it. I feel that many people will have the same deep connection with this story since these things happen on a daily basis like dropping out of high school to take care of a child, whether or not to receive a higher education, hanging out with the wrong crowd, etc. You know, there is always that fork in the road. You play by your own rules in your own game. With a roll of the dice, you choose which path to take. Unfortunately, life leads to a gamble. Either you picked the right cards or you lose it entirely.

I heavily recommend that you head on out to the local library and give this book a try! Pretty thankful that my English professor required us to read it, haha.

12/2/2011 #38
Corrupted Lament

Finally got around to reading H.G Wells' The Time Machine.

...I love this book. 8DDD

12/21/2011 #39
Yunzhi4

The Bloodkings trilogy by Jill Williamson are great fantasy books for kids and younger teenagers, although not commonly known.

The three books are:

By Darkness Hid

To Darkness Fled

From Darkness Won

12/25/2011 #40
Jayna B
"Ring Fire: The Fleabag Trilogy" by Beth Webb.

A book that is hardly known to those outside the UK. I've been looking for a another copy to replace my old one as it has quite a few pages missing.

12/27/2011 #41
CountryBoy419

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

This book was intricately created with so many plots to keep track of but it all ended rather nicely. I wouldn't recommend re-reading it several times as it is quite a thick book but it definitely deserved its spot in the classics.

12/27/2011 #42
Corrupted Lament

Quite a few, actually.

Anthony Burgess' A Clockwork Orange.

It was... amazing. Fantastic. No other words can describe it.

Huxley's Brave New World.

Another amazing story with such a beautiful concept.

Not necessarily a book, but, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

It was beautiful. Enormously disturbing in some parts, but an amazing ballad.

1984 by George Orwell was another great book.

A general list of stuff I'd reccomend is as follows.

Burgess' Honey for the Bears

H. G Wells' The Time Machine and War of the Worlds

And Night by Elie Wiesel.

2/9/2012 #43
bleachers

And Night by Elie Wiesel.

oh god that book. ._.

/creys

2/9/2012 #44
fallen Silverwing

I do have a favorite book if anybody is interested. It is named "Ciaphas Cain hero of the Imperium." Those words are intentional as that is the only way to spell Ciaphas and imperium.

This book is a actually an archive, or collection of three short stories and 3 books wrapped in one.

This is a book series set in the Warhammer40k universe and filled with slight humor but mostly serious situations.

The main character is a Commissar named Ciaphas who always tries to find a way to keep himself safe during combat but ends up getting into one disaster after another.

Its funny really that after each incident. Throughout the archive his fame increases by accident because of his behavior ^^.

Unfortunately I lost the book attending one of my classes I am taking for College 2 days ago. I left it in the class room by mistake.

2/11/2012 #45
Sakura Mau Toki

I finally got around to reading The Hunger Games series a few weeks back and finished the last book about a week ago. While the 'love triangle' between Katniss, Peeta and Gale could have used more development, the plot itself makes the book worth reading.

The series isn't a happy one and you will have so many feels that you won't know what to do with them all. No joke.

If you like dystopian novels, this series is perfect for you.

2/16/2012 #46
Bitter Sea Light

The Fault in Our Starsby John Green

I'm 234 pages into the book, but I can already tell that it will be on the top of my favourite books. I hate what it does to me, but I love the story and feel incredibly impatient to know what happens next. At the same time, however, I just have this unexplainable feeling to put it down and never pick it up again. The story is awesome, incredibly well written and Green would make anyone feel incredibly inadequate because of his writing skills. Just such a genuine story, so believable, true and honest, so sweet, quirky and intelligent...

I just...

Mr. Green, I truly admire you, and I truly recommend reading it.

EDIT: Finished the book about half an hour ago. READ IT. DO IT. NAO. B|

Also.

The author read the two first chapters out on his own on his YT channel. :)

Chapter One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_vFvbfn9Fs

Chapter Two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o7lHGaSarg

2/17/2012 . Edited 2/17/2012 #47
bleachers

Hnnnnnng, Maria. Why did you mention John Green? D;

To be honest, in comparison to other John Green books, I found TFiOS to be a bit of a . . . disappointment.

I mean, the book itself was amazing., but I much prefer some of his older stuff.

(iguesshwhati'mtryingtosayis)

I recommend Looking for Alaska by John Green. While Green's writing style has definitely improved since this book, I still find it to be one of the best book's I've ever read. The entire "before" part had me laughing and crying, and really growing to love the characters. The entire "after" section, well. . . he definitely deserved the awards he got for it. ^^

Back to TFioS!

I really did love this book -- once I started reading it, I didn't stop. o.o I have this nasty habit of reading the last chapter first, so I spent most of the book going "NONONONONONO".

I loved the little things that he added into the book that only Nerdfighters would get -- (like the Ruins?)

And the two visits to Funky Bones literally blew my mind. ._.

--andalsoISAACILOVEYOU.

John Green is also answering questions about TFiOS on a password-protected Tumblr:

(pssst, the password is the last word of the Acknowledgements.)

And might I say that I love this guy? Okay.

2/17/2012 #48
Bitter Sea Light

To be honest, in comparison to other John Green books, I found TFiOS to be a bit of a . . . disappointment.

I haven't read his other books, but since this one blew me away, I am srsly thinking of getting them. :)

I really did love this book -- once I started reading it, I didn't stop. o.o I have this nasty habit of reading the last chapter first, so I spent most of the book going "NONONONONONO".

I wanted to do that so badly because I wanted to know what would happen, but then kinda clenched my teeth really hard and went 'NO YOU WILL BE PATIENT AND YOU WILL SEE IT ALL IN ORDER AND YOU SHALL NOT RUIN IT FOR YOURSELF'. I didn't and I'm really happy over it. 0D

But kinda the same thing with the reading. :P I got it at around August 10th, but since it was an unsigned copy, I was kinda sad and didn't want to read it. And then I also have this habit of doing the thing of 'YAY I GOT THIS BOOK I REALLY WANT TO READ' and then I won't touch it for up to two years. XP Somehow I picked it up, however, and even though I was 'Ugh. -_-' with the first few chapters I couldn't put it away before I knew it all. :P

All in all, I agree that it's absolutely amazing. |D

I loved the little things that he added into the book that only Nerdfighters would get -- (like the Ruins?)

YES, I LOVED THAT, TOO. :D

2/17/2012 #49
bleachers

I haven't read his other books, but since this one blew me away, I am srsly thinking of getting them. :)

I definitely think you should. Looking for Alaska is just too amazing for words. The setting is also the school John went to, and I find that really cool for some reason?

Most of his books are really unique -- and I think that's one thing I didn't like about TFiOS, because the dying-of-cancer thing has kind of been-done-before? But he definitely put his own twist on it.

Like, An Abundance of Katherines just made me laugh! The overweight Muslim who's obsessed with Judge Judy? trolol, John Green.

I think he's that author whose writing style. . . transcends age stereotypes?

I wanted to do that so badly because I wanted to know what would happen, but then kinda clenched my teeth really hard and went 'NO YOU WILL BE PATIENT AND YOU WILL SEE IT ALL IN ORDER AND YOU SHALL NOT RUIN IT FOR YOURSELF'. I didn't and I'm really happy over it. 0D

I did and I'm sad. :(

But kinda the same thing with the reading. :P I got it at around August 10th, but since it was an unsigned copy, I was kinda sad and didn't want to read it. And then I also have this habit of doing the thing of 'YAY I GOT THIS BOOK I REALLY WANT TO READ' and then I won't touch it for up to two years. XP Somehow I picked it up, however, and even though I was 'Ugh. -_-' with the first few chapters I couldn't put it away before I knew it all. :P

Nyet~! My copy is green, like his name. :D But don't worry, I'm sure your special copy will come soon.

Have you read Anna and the French Kiss by Steph Perkins? I highly suggest it.

It makes me sad that Etienne St. Clair is a fictional character.

YES, I LOVED THAT, TOO. :D

He is an amazing person.

2/17/2012 #50
Bitter Sea Light

Most of his books are really unique -- and I think that's one thing I didn't like about TFiOS, because the dying-of-cancer thing has kind of been-done-before? But he definitely put his own twist on it.

That's what I actually like about it. :P The way he writes it is just so realistic and raw, the way they think about everything and see the world...it's all probably true. I actually know that I'd be like Hazel in this regard. I wouldn't go vegetarian because 'I want to reduce my footprint', but I think I'd definitely grow apart from the people I used to know. I love Hazel's character and it really broke my heart when all that started happening to Augustus right in front of her eyes. I mean, GDI, boy, you're so awesome and wonderful and then you just...?

;-;

Like, An Abundance of Katherines just made me laugh! The overweight Muslim who's obsessed with Judge Judy? trolol, John Green.

For me, this book simply showed how intelligent, awesome, wonderful, quirky, warm and funny he is as a person. Definitely someone I look up to, which is strange because I normally don't get like this. XP

I did and I'm sad. :(

*huggle* Can't say that I blame you. :(

Nyet~! My copy is green, like his name. :D

The copy I have in Estonia (because like a BAMF, I have two |D) has a red signature. :P *chuckles* It just happened that I got a copy from amazon.com (signed) to my Estonian address and I got a copy from amazon.co.uk (unsigned) to my France address. |D Sure do wish I'd have had the Hanklerfish one... :P

But don't worry, I'm sure your special copy will come soon.

YES. BOOKPLATE. CAN'T WAIT~! 8DDD

Have you read Anna and the French Kiss by Steph Perkins? I highly suggest it.

It makes me sad that Etienne St. Clair is a fictional character.

Unfortunately, no. :) But shall look it up. 03

He is an amazing person.

He truly is. :)

2/17/2012 #51
bleachers

For me, this book simply showed how intelligent, awesome, wonderful, quirky, warm and funny he is as a person. Definitely someone I look up to, which is strange because I normally don't get like this. XP

Oh, yeah, I know. AAK is about this child prodigy ("not a genius") who goes on a roadtrip to a town in Tennessee where tampon strings are made after his girlfriend breaks up with him. XD

Unfortunately, no. :) But shall look it up. 03

Good. :3

It's a NaNoNovel.

2/17/2012 #52
Bitter Sea Light

Oh, yeah, I know. AAK is about this child prodigy ("not a genius") who goes on a roadtrip to a town in Tennessee where tampon strings are made after his girlfriend breaks up with him. XD

Dafuq? XDDDD

Good. :3

It's a NaNoNovel.

:3

2/17/2012 #53
bleachers

Dafuq? XDDDD

He's John Green.

He pulls it off.

(and of course, that's not a fully summary~)

It was my First John Green.

2/17/2012 #54
Bitter Sea Light

I read Looking for Alaska. Cannot compare it to The Fault in Our Stars because the latter is just so much better. :P

Loved how he got me hooked since the beginning with the '[x] Days Before' thing and it wasn't a bad read, but...it was a bit of a disappointment. :P Saw the reason why she got into the car from miles away and it had sort of the same affect on me as any other book with the similar plot has. But yeah, it was charming and quirky in a John Green kind of way, I guess. :)

3/6/2012 #55
bleachers

I read Looking for Alaska. Cannot compare it to The Fault in Our Stars because the latter is just so much better. :P

I disagree -- you're forgetting that Looking for Alaska was his first novel, and that he spent years on TFiOS.

(To be frank, it was quite a disappointment in that sense.)

3/6/2012 #56
Bitter Sea Light

I disagree -- you're forgetting that Looking for Alaska was his first novel, and that he spent years on TFiOS.

I see how much he's improved and I know how one affected me while the other didn't. If a book gets a strong reaction out of me, I like it. Looking for Alaska...left me a bit meh, even frustrated me and it's just a good book to read for the purposes of entertainment. A complete contrast in comparison to The Fault in Our Stars, which seems more philosophical and thought-provoking.

/just my opinion

3/7/2012 #57
Bitter Sea Light

I just got my own copy of David Benioff's City of Thieves (English version). ^_______^ Awesome book and you guise should totally read it. :P Granted, a bit depressing and graphic at times, but it's a wonderful read. *nod*

For now, I will start with the second book of The Hunger Games series. Catching Fire it's called, I believe. 03

/reads more than usual lately

3/15/2012 #58
A Tengu Reporter

I've just finished reading Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor. Was skeptical about the whole Angels & Demons concept, but as I got to reading the book further, man, was I wrong. The prose is just brilliant, and seriously, this author's a golden example of "show, don't tell". Not to mention that the main character is freaking badass.

I definitely recommend reading it~

3/25/2012 #59
Corrupted Lament

H.P Lovecraft.

That is all.

4/2/2012 #60
« Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »
Forum Moderators: Georgasaurus Ten ways to spoil dinner, Bitter Sea Light
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member