Literate Union
Sometimes our posts just like to pull a Houdini.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 .. Last Next »
Lord Kelvin

I have a working HDD with pre-installed Windows XP lying around~

10/2/2011 #391
Aeikon Devleon

If you are thinking of shipping that to me, don't bother. I'm leaving in two months.

10/2/2011 . Edited 10/2/2011 #392
Lord Kelvin

The post ships stuff to LA in under three weeks.

Would have had a laugh, though. It's an ATA device.

10/2/2011 #393
Aeikon Devleon

The post ships stuff to LA in under three weeks.

And it'll take another three to get to my house, I'll only have about...three weeks with a working computer. XP

Thanks, anyway.

Would have had a laugh, though. It's an ATA device.

Laugh would have been on you, I use SATA.

10/2/2011 #394
Lord Kelvin

Laugh would have been on you, I use SATA.

That's the point, seedling. You'd be a slot away from a working computer.

10/2/2011 #395
Aeikon Devleon

Well, it wouldn't make sense to get it before I get shipped off.

I'll be two months in basic training, then probably another three months training for my job. Also, chances are good that I'll be sent overseas, especially Europe. Once I'm at my base, I'll probably be too busy to relax for the first few weeks.

Bah, it's probably just my guilty conscience coming up with excuses. It's hard for me to receive things, without some sort of return.

If you really are willing to ship that HDD to me, and aren't just pulling my leg; I'll PM you my address.

10/2/2011 #396
Aeikon Devleon

https://us.battle.net/account/sc2/starter-edition/;jsessionid=C76F6BCCBFB089A61399727CAE27E77A.blade34_03_bnet-mgmt

Play Starcraft II for free~

10/3/2011 #397
Lord Kelvin

Play Starcraft II for free~

Not exactly a new idea, considering you don't 'play' it till you figure out the basics, which takes a few months of multi-player versus.

Link spam aside, I'm disillusioned about id's new pedigree, Rage. It looks like Duke Nukem Forever with less annoyance. There's an equal amount of washed out driving, surprising linearity, and actiony stuff that is basically fetch quests. No deathmatch, so I'm sorry for FPS.

10/5/2011 #398
Lord Kelvin

India's made a tablet computer that costs 45 euros ($55). Might buy a few~

10/6/2011 #399
Lord Kelvin

Found it on Wikipedia, too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakshat

10/10/2011 #400
Aeikon Devleon

For fans of Durarara!

There is this anime; Chaos;HEAD; just as insane as Durarara.

The story about a close-in anime-otaku who has severe trust issues and hallucinates frequently. He is stalked by several girls, one of them a notorious serial killer.

Since it's fairly unknown, and Funimation almost wiped it from the Internet, you must watch it from here.

Oh, and it's a fantasy-action series, not a romance.

http://www.nwanime.com/chaos-head-episode-1/watch/c0e3c0b3496496ef0d3e/

10/18/2011 . Edited 10/18/2011 #401
Lord Kelvin

Windows 8 looks very confusing.

The refresh and reset options look very useful, though.

10/21/2011 #402
Kokoyumi

Thoughts on Bulldozer: Average.

Yep, that's pretty much it.

10/21/2011 #403
Lord Kelvin

A guy had issues with the monitor going into standby. He was suggested taking a screenshot.

10/24/2011 #404
Lord Kelvin

Developers of a game 'No Time to Explain' leaked their game (not free) to a torrent site. The people, who thought they were pirating it found out that the game was buggy and everyone wore pirate outfits. The game had the sign throughout the levels: "Don't pirate this game, but if you enjoy it, tell your friends!"

10/27/2011 #405
Lord Kelvin

Nokia's made a flexible smartphone. You can bend it to zoom in and out, and it won't break in your back pocket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=QsbZOKahdMw

Also, Sony Ericsson will cease to exist next year. The new phones will be named just Sony.

10/28/2011 #406
Lord Kelvin

I somehow firewalled one of my computers during an update. Since I can't be bothered to tinker with software and registry editing didn't work, I'm sharing my printer manually.

Less hassle.

10/29/2011 #407
Lord Kelvin

So...confused. Who knew there were this many different tablet computers!

11/2/2011 #408
Valenor

It's a conspiracy, I tells ya!

11/2/2011 #409
Aeikon Devleon

All right, let's get this started.

Tl;dr for my question: Is absolute zero velocity possible? And what would the effect be?

Long version: I understand everything in space is moving. We perceive movement in a relative sense. For example, a perfectly still house, in reality, is moving with the surface of the earth; which is orbiting around the sun, which is orbiting around the center of the Milky Way, ect, ect. Now, space is uniform, and in a uniform substance, it's very difficult to make a precise point to relate our true velocity through the universe.

Someone in another forum stated something interesting. When two stars collide, they are traveling at such speeds and the resulting reaction has so much energy and force, space itself would warp at the initial zone of impact. Wouldn't there be something left behind, something at the direct center of the collision that sits at perfect stillness? If so, that would be a point of relativity.

Now, I'm not talking about absolute zero velocity compared to the point of the Big Bang; space, itself, isn't still; it also travels away from that point, and it also accelerates as it travels from that point. So, that renders the Big Bang's point a useless reference, unless you are directly at the center.

Also, light travel has interesting effects. Mass and time becomes distorted, and you start noticing a Doppler effect, blue becomes more apparent, since it's the slower light-wave. So, if you have these effect at light travel, I wonder; would the opposite have reverse effects? Red should become the dominant color, mass should become infinitely small and time would travel at a faster pace.

This is theoretical, since I also understand you'll need an ridiculous, if not infinite, amount of energy to achieve absolute zero velocity.

11/13/2011 #410
Silver-hair Angel

I'd say no... judging on the little that I actually know.

Since every object is moving on some level, atomically, chemically, etc-- don't think anything can ever accomplish absolute zero velocity.

11/13/2011 #411
SeoulGamer

I'd say a gravitational singularity would be more likely if the stars had a very large mass. A distortion of space would not necessarily cancel out velocity unless the two stars were of identical heat and mass and travelling at the same speed. A state of zero velocity could only persist for an extremely short space of time anyway.

I have no backround in Physics, so the above conjecture is based purely on a hunch.

11/13/2011 #412
Aeikon Devleon

Since every object is moving on some level, atomically, chemically, etc-- don't think anything can ever accomplish absolute zero velocity.

I'm not talking on that level. Mass in a uniform state. For instance a space-ship. The atoms would still be in motion according to the laws of thermodynamics but uniformly still in relation to space, itself.

I'd say a gravitational singularity would be more likely if the stars had a very large mass. A distortion of space would not necessarily cancel out velocity unless the two stars were of identical heat and mass and travelling at the same speed. A state of zero velocity could only persist for an extremely short space of time anyway.

Good point. That would mean a situation like that would have to be man made. Not, throwing stars at each other. XD But a similar reaction, using a hadron collider within space.

11/13/2011 #413
Silver-hair Angel

I'm not talking on that level. Mass in a uniform state. For instance a space-ship. The atoms would still be in motion according to the laws of thermodynamics but uniformly still in relation to space, itself.

You lost me, there.

Clarify, please?

11/13/2011 #414
SeoulGamer

Clarify, please?

This is a shot in the dark, but atoms are constantly in motion in one sense because their subatomic components (eg electrons) are constantly in movement. Electrons continuously orbit the nucleus of the atom, for example.

However, what I understand Acorn to be referring to is that all matter in the universe is moving, as the universe is constantly moving apart and the structure of space itself moves with it.

11/13/2011 #415
Aeikon Devleon

You lost me, there.

Clarify, please?

Anything above the atomic level. A solid block of metal of course is still in motion, as long as it's above zero kelvin. Zero kelvin is impossible because you must completely isolate the atom from all energy for as long as you want it at zero kelvin. Zero velocity would be the combined velocity of all the atoms in the solid block of metal as a solid block of metal.

11/13/2011 #416
Aeikon Devleon

This is a shot in the dark, but atoms are constantly in motion in one sense because their subatomic components (eg electrons) are constantly in movement. Electrons continuously orbit the nucleus of the atom, for example.

However, what I understand Acorn to be referring to is that all matter in the universe is moving, as the universe is constantly moving apart and the structure of space itself moves with it.

You think you have little understanding, but you are damn good is saying it in layman's terms. XD

11/13/2011 #417
Lord Kelvin

From the perspective of zero point energy, that is impossible. As in, a system can be at zero Kelvin, in its ground state, but it will still have trace amounts of energy that would invalidate conditions for absolute zero velocity.

Things might change with entropy shifting as the universe expands, distributing a constant amount of energy across an increasingly vast amount of space. The question is whether the system will go below zero point energy or...stop expanding. If it does destroy everything Planck units stand for, you can have your absolute zero velocity. However, it is subject to the actual end of the universe.

As for anything above atomic level...how can you say something is still if its elements are in motion?

11/13/2011 #418
SeoulGamer

Anything above the atomic level. A solid block of metal of course is still in motion, as long as it's above zero kelvin. Zero kelvin is impossible because you must completely isolate the atom from all energy for as long as you want it at zero kelvin. Zero velocity would be the combined velocity of all the atoms in the solid block of metal as a solid block of metal.

That's genuinely fascinating. I'd have never thought of heat energy as also being movement, but of course heat causes the molecules in matter to move and thus gives rise to liquids and gasses.

You think you have little understanding, but you are damn good is saying it in layman's terms. XD

Thank you. Outer space and the physical universe are something of a special interest of mine.

11/13/2011 #419
Cerulean City

I don't have a lot of knowledge of this subject but I like discussing it/reading about it.

#noncontributing

11/13/2011 #420
« Prev Page 1 .. 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Georgasaurus Ten ways to spoil dinner, Bitter Sea Light
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member