Crossing Over
General game crossover discussion. Fic recs, cliques, apples and oranges, anything welcome!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
KirbyGamer91

Simple, whenever you write a crossover, how do you explain why Sonic is in the Mushroom Kingdom for example? Me? I've always had trouble with explaining that sort of thing. I've just had a Deus Ex Machinima sort of thing where the characters just co-exist in the same universe and know about each other in my past work, which I've come to realize that it's kinda lame, and I could have characters travel through portals, but people have told me before that that's the lazy way out.

So, how about any of you?

5/23/2009 #1
DragonKazooie89

I try to keep the logic in both universes. For example, in a Pokemon/EarthBound crossover I want to do, their two worlds meet because of the conflict between Palkia, Dialga and Giratina and Porky messing with the timeline after he fled from the Cave of the Past.

5/27/2009 #2
RedShocktrooper

I generally find some way - for instance, a Red Alert/Valkyria Chronicles crossover has a highly plausible cause in Red Alert's home universe - the Chronoshpere device. I used the Soviets capturing an example of it to explain the presence of their units in VC's timeline.

2/8/2010 #3
AlwaysInADream

So far I've only written one explicit crossover, and the explanation was the purest essence of "the author said so". Literally, I'm a character in the story and used my author powers to bring Ringo Andou and Sho Minamimoto to a neutral universe of my creation.

It... wasn't entirely a serious fic.

10/20/2010 #4
Yoshi 2.1

How I do it is whenever I create any type of crossover, I always do the best I can to make a summary that explains the events of said stories. Whether if they're full stories or oneshots.

I've created plenty of crossovers that have full summaries.

I know it's hard at first, but once you get started, you'll see it's actually not that hard.

7/24/2011 #5
adrogoz
One of my two main crossovers, Instruments of Time, is a crossover of literally around a hundred series. Basically time has become severely messed up to the point that the world is covered in time cracks, and many possible timelines have become mixed together. But it's kind of a weird example.
5/20/2013 #6
Forum Moderators: Myshu
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member