The most Cliched Things in Shugo Chara Fanfictions
You know how there's always these repeated patterns in SC fanfics? Maybe it's that cliche Amuto plot or that one ooc detail always present? Are you tired of them, need to rant, need to support, or otherwise? xD Discuss why you love em'/hate em' here!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »
xRinrinx3

Haha. You guys can certainly come up with a bunch of ideas with this I guess. xD Feel free to read to check that you haven't done any of those ridiculous mistakes and feel free to post up all those silly things SC authors do to mess their story up in the world of SC fanfiction. xD

I'll just tell you the first thing that annoys me.

xRinrinx3 reads:

Summary (Read in an overly, dramatic voice) : "Cool 'n spicy" Hinamori Amu has a problem; she can't decide who to love! "Tadase or Ikuto?" she wonders to herself. What happens when Amu gets kidnapped by the Easter baddies? Who will be the one to save her first? AMUTO. Obviously.

xRinrinx3. : wtf? (btw, this was my own original, purposely crappy summary. Don't steal it! xD)

Well there's the stupid problem. Thank you author, for ruining the ending for me. Now I REALLY want to go read your fabulous fic in which I already know how the ending is gonna turn out to be. (Pity, I never even gave that author a chance. TT__TT *sobs* )

Well those kinda story summaries aren't all like that. xD But still. You know what I also love? I LOVE it when you don't put the pairing intended to win in the end (even though we probably know anyways.) and then when I read the main characters in faint grey font and I read "Amu & Ikuto".

It's really almost as bad. TT__TT Sheesh. Boring. what I think people should do is just put AMU as the main character so the rest of the readers could wait for the suprise (?) ending.

blah blah. that was short. So what do you guys think about it? Voice your opinions or w/e and discuss! :D Also, I'd love it if anyone can post up more *announcer's voice*

stupid author's mistakes! *audience cheers*

6/22/2009 #1
Asteriia

Lol, true. But isn't it like that in all Amuto stories? Even if Tadase is there, we all know she'll end up with Ikuto. I don't mind them but like you said, if it has that cliche statement "who will she choose?" i kinda don't wanna read it. It just bugs me. :S

Hmm, i'm now wondering if i actually did do the very thing i get annoyed by in one of my stories. O.O I must go check!

7/1/2009 #2
Niixx

I am so sick of seeing those kinds of summaries! Sometimes, even though I love Amuto to almost obsession, I do want to be surprised. And sometimes - I can't believe I'm saying this - Tadamu is adorable. So, I have to agree; that's a stupid mistake.

Another stupid author mistake that bothers me: complete OOC in main characters (Amu, Ikuto, Tadase, etc.) in stories that aren't AU or whatever. I don't know if that's so much a mistake as something cliche. For example:

Summary: Amu chooses Tadase, but he isn't who she thought he was! After he rapes her, she turns to Ikuto. Can he help her get past this tragedy?

First of all, (sorry if this is bashing ) Tadase rape someone? Hun, I don't think he's strong enough to open a jar of pickles, much less completely over power another human being. Second, he's a big softie! He'd probably wait until she was ready and then continually ask, "Are you sure? I don't want you to regret anything."

If this was an AU, then I might be able to see it happening, but, really? If you're going to write in the regular SC! universe, please try to keep everyone as close to being in-character as possible. :\

7/18/2009 #3
Asteriia

I agree, i don't like stories where Tadase is made the bad guy! I can sometimes ignore it as the rest of hte story is well written but i prefer ones where characters are kept in character. The only character who'd probably try to split amu and ikuto up is utau, and even then i think some people go over board.

Utau hiring people to get rid of Amu?

I don't think it'd happen.

I'm not bashing any stories - heck, i read stories with stuff like this and still like them. But i dont like characters being made to look like the bad guy.

And yeah, Tadamu is adorable. If Ikuto wasn't there, i would probably like the couple.

7/18/2009 #4
xRinrinx3

Ack! Totally! i mean, Tadase can't do that. xD even though it's fanfiction you want to keep them close enough in character so we would still recognize the character AU or not. If someone wrote a story about Tadase raping someone O.o Then it's basically be a new person just with the same name or something.

and haha yeah. I'm for amuto but tadamu is cute too. I think people shouldn't be bashing him too much now because of what happened in the manga. I mean, he still likes Amu but he totally knows that she likes Ikuto and he's okay with it! (we actually need more guys in the real world to be like that. . )

and I TOTALLY (not) love those stories where Amu goes like, super emo. I don't see Amu cutting herself (too chicken to do it, but who wouldn't be?) Amu's also a strong character so it wouldn't make sense to make her so pathetically weak that she resorts to cutting. I don't mind the fics when she goes into a major social withdrawal and really put up her cool n' spicy act. Punk Amu? Sure, I guess. Cutting-emo Amu? No. In canon, she would probably slap anyone going emo and give them one of her "change your outlook on life" lectures. xP

7/18/2009 . Edited 4/1/2010 #5
Niixx

You totally took the words out of my mouth. Lol.

Amu (like most manga heroines) is a strong girl that tries (most of the time) to see the silver lining. But I know people who cut and falling in love with someone who tries to help them doesn't make them stop. I'm sick of "Amu starts cutting, Ikuto/Tadase/Kuukai/Nagihiko intervenes, and she stops." Maybe if she has a sudden epiphany or slowly learns to love herself more, I could handle it, but Amu is by no means suicidal.

7/19/2009 #6
Juleskat101

She's much more stronger than that!!!! And, yes, she probably wouldn't even have the guts to cut herself! I'm not calling her a wimp or anything, but she's 12 YEARS OLD!!! I mean, how many 12 year-old's do you see, going around, cutting themselves?? And i guess that's anther problem with the story-line. So, that story fails.

ANOTHER really retarded mistake:

1. Tadase cheats on Amu, and she seeks comfort in the arms of Ikuto. Amuto, songfic Bad Boy

And another one:

2. first fanfic! ikuto confessed to amu but she is dating tadase! whom should she choose? find out! *amuto*

Lo and behold- another one!:

3. Amu decided to break up with Tadase. But when she does he goes nuts. Can Amu and Ikuto stop him before its too late? Amuto.

~~~~~~~~~~

1. Why would Tadase cheat on Amu? With whom? Doesn't it seem really OOC?? Not as bad as the rape one, but still- TADASE?!?!? CHEAT?!!?!? He's such a sweetheart!!!

2. I know you discussed this already, but the author spoiled the surprise. .

3. Again, TADASE=00C!!! Amu has accidentally broken his heart already, or, at least, hurt him, so why is it that he is NOW going crazy??? And how did Ikuto get involved????

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No offense to any of the authors of these stories, but shoot, look over your work, and make sure your characters are all IC (In Character)!!!! I really HATE when stories are ooc, soooo yeah.

7/19/2009 #7
Juleskat101

Well, I know it's some of their first fanfics- but stIIILL!!!!! It bugs me that they can screw up the description so bad!! .................................................................. shugo chara rox! xD

7/19/2009 #8
xRinrinx3

I'd like to point out that often in those stories Amu is actually older, like in her late teens. and I think Tadase wouldn't cheat on her. It's probably some fangirl glomping him and Amu happens to walk in at the wrong moment. xD (also, I bet there are some 12 yr old cutters. O.o messed up. Just like how I remember some 12 yr olds stuffing. X.x wtf?)

The thing I hate even more is when you read a great story that's in character at first, then the author strays farther away from being IC as the story moves on. I actually stopped reading a nice fanfic at first in that way. sad. :( I also hate the fic when the characters are older and they've changed completely. It's true that we all change as we grow older, but we should still keep some strong characteristics in the characters to not make them too ooc. For example: Rima doesn't suddenly go optimistic when she turns 17 and Amu at age 27 still gets flustered when Ikuto makes perverted jokes. ;p Maybe if the in the fic the author purposely makes the main character a dynamic one then that's okay. ex: Yaya sees that her immaturity gets other people in trouble as well as herself. In the end, she's not completely an adult but she's learned to be a bit more careful.

7/19/2009 . Edited 4/1/2010 #9
Asteriia

Agreed. Characters can get OC, the only story where i think i made the characters OC was in that fairytale story where i did it on purpose.

Hmmm, i've just been thinking about Yaya. I might do a story or just a one-shot about her. She needs some luv!

7/20/2009 #10
Niixx

The 12 year old stuffing thing just gave me an idea for a drabble. XD

I agree about the characters following at first then veering off, but what I hate the absolute most is when the author has a great story line then suddenly starts throwing out random things just to make the story longer. Like if in my story I had Ikuto and Amu on the edge of marriage and then they found out that one of them has a incurable disease and only has two weeks to live. Where did it come from?! But you don't really see that in Shugo Chara! fics as often as with InuYasha or Orphen, I guess. :\

7/22/2009 #11
xRinrinx3

Actually, I kinda have to disagree with you on this one. x] I think that if it weren't for the plot surprises like that then the story would be more fit for a oneshot describing Amu/Ikuto's feelings of that moment. Plot surprises like that keep a story going great doesn't it?

Unless you mean like the author gave us no hints about the disease such as Ikuto coughing and losing appetite a few months before the big day or the fic is like 6 chapters long before she tells us that they have the disease. ^^;

7/22/2009 . Edited 4/1/2010 #12
Niixx

Haha, yeah, that's what I meant. I mean, throwing in plot devices are awesome, as long as they aren't like totally out of the blue. I know a lot of authors that their summaries are about one thing, but in the end the story is about something totally different because they threw in stuff that made no sense. Eck.

7/23/2009 #13
Asteriia

Agreed. I think i once read a fic where Amu and Ikuto were together and just as they were about to defeat Gozen, Amu's long lost family and sister appear - kinda like stalling the fight for another chapter. It was out of the blue - heck, i'd never even been told Amu's family was lost lolz! And truth be told, it just took up two pointless chapters and stalled the fighting scene.

7/24/2009 #14
Niixx

I think I read that one!

Those kinds of things drive me up a wall.

7/24/2009 #15
xRinrinx3

Ahhh. I see what you mean now. :] like it's the climax of the fic and then something stupid happens. Oh THAT I get. Teehee. You know, another thing I don't like is when authors give crappy summaries. Who's with me?! ^^

7/30/2009 . Edited 4/1/2010 #16
Niixx

Definitely agree with you! I mean, if you can't give a great summary, don't let it sound like

example: "Ikuto wants Amu but Amu doesn't want him back."

Just take an interesting dialogue in the story and put it together.

example: ""Amu-koi," Ikuto purred before the woman in question cut him off. "Ikuto, just leave me alone. I'm not going to go anywhere with you!"

Ta-da! :D Summaries for cheap. XD

8/2/2009 #17
xRinrinx3

3. Put in a freakin' decent summary! "I'm no good at summaries!" does not count. I don't really get it. So you can write a 15,000 worded story but you can't write one tiny paragraph of what it's about? I assume that when you put "summary sucks, but plz read nywayz!" it means that if you can't even write a decent summary then you probably can't even write a decent story. Yet you beg me to "read nywayz" ? I also don't feel like I want to read the "complete summary inside" the first chapter. Also, don't make it too cheesy. Lol. I mean seriously, "Tadase or Ikuto? Who will Amu choose?" Being pretty cliche, Amu will probably obviously choose Ikuto. Its obvious because of the legions of Amuto lovers. (For a quick point, y'all need to lay off the Tadase bashing for those who actually like Tadamu or just Tadase in general. :p) And if you do have something like that, at least please don't put "Obviously Amuto." Well it was obvious from the start. Why spoil it for us? (We like to pretend we're being surprised! :D ) Oh, so you do have a good summary? Well then, you're already starting out as a good writer. :)

Copied and pasted directly from my SC fanfic rant. xD Btw, great example summary. (If it was real I'd actually read that. :D )

8/5/2009 #18
Niixx

Haha, your rant makes me happy. (: I feel the same way. It's like, wow, you just totally ruined the surprise ending (another fantastic idea just came to me XD), so thanks.

I'm actually writing it now as we speak. XD

8/6/2009 #19
xRinrinx3

Okay, I'm wondering about this. Do you consider this a stupid mistake or just a bad habit that needs to be curbed?

LONG ASS DIALOGUE IN THE BEGINNING/ENDING AUTHOR'S NOTE (or just long notes in general)

*Raises Hand* Guilty. Not the long dialogue, but my endnotes can sometimes be long. xD

I think it makes it look really amaturish. I'm currently trying to get rid of that habit. (Hehe. Juleskat noticed that I didn't have a long rant at the end my my last Chapter for TC.)

What do you guys think of this? And how long should author notes be to you?

9/24/2009 #20
Asteriia

Gah, i hate it. Most of the time i'll skim the authors note, i only tend to read all of the HELL long authors notes if i really like the story.

I don't make my notes too long, only if there's something important needed to say. But i don't do what some authors do and talk about my personal life as i think "why would they be bothered about what i'm doing?"

9/25/2009 #21
Juleskat101

HehHeh

They're fun to read, and i like looking at other peoples opinions :p

(Am I the only 1 that noticed? WHIPPEE!!! ^_^)

(P.S. Is that how you spell 'Whippee'?) LMAO

9/25/2009 #22
Niixx

Well, I suppose it's both. When you first do it, that makes it a stupid mistake, but when you continue to do it, it is simply a habit.

I can't stand when writers have really long, OOC, creepy talks with the characters at the beginning/end of a chapter. Maybe a little talk now and then that's actually in character, I could stand, but talks about Ikuto running around asking for pancakes? Not gonna happen.

An author's note should be just that: a note. Maybe if you are explaining things that are going on in the story (such as Japanese terms or historical reminders) then I could understand. But when you start talking about how your cat died and you want lots and lots of reviews or else you'll "cancel the story", I no longer want to read that story because the author is so desperate.

9/26/2009 #23
xRinrinx3

I guess. (Simply a bad habit though. xD )

Ugh. Please no! Long creepy talks bore me and most of them are perverted or just whacked beyond imagination. But yes, the rare IC ones are fun to read :) Though it's tedious to scroll down and read even more imaginary conversations. :/

Wow, okay, I know that I have long ANs (attempting to curb it ASAP ;__; ), but I'm glad I don't beg for reviews there. Have some pride over your story for goodness sake! It should be good enough that people WANT to review, not just give in because of begging. I do always put a Review! at the end (fanfiction tradition no? Teehee :D ) but that's way different from "10 reviews or no update!" or "my puppy died so review and please give me your support!" D: Rinrin's suggestion: Have some REAL friends (that probably knew the dog/kitty/etc) to comfort you. Or on a pet lovers' website. ^^;

9/26/2009 #24
ThatGirl96

I have long A/N's too xD I actually did the whole 'begging' thing once though. It was my birthday. I HAVE TO GO FIX THAT!!!! D:

Anyway, I'm really glad you have this forum, were people can just discuss the 'do's and don'ts'. It's helped (and helping) me reflect on my mistakes XD

11/2/2009 #25
Niixx

Haha, that's what I like about it too. And you wouldn't think that it would give you ideas on what to write, but it kind of does. A few of the drabbles in my Midnight Musings are centered around some of the things we've talked about. (:

11/17/2009 #26
IggyLuv333

This forum definetly helps with the do's and don'ts of writing. What people actually want to read and not just random drabble. (Though when called for random drabble is fun! XD Just not really in a story, unless that's the point or something. IDK anymore, I just don't. XD)

I actually like the authors notes, if well done can be entertaing if characters aren't OOC. Then again in a good story the characters aren't OOC so it kind of reflects the author on that one. But I get what you say about the review thing, honestly you don't need to be that desperate for reviews. Someone will most likely review it, some kind person who really likes it. I always put read and review at the end but that's just a habit, I continue no matter how many reviews I get. The reviews moticate me more, but regardless if I like the idea I'll keep writing and if your only writing for reviews then you really shouldn't be writing.

Not to be cruel though, lol. I know some people post that not being desperate or anything, just posting it. What I hate more than those kinds of things are bashers and I will never turn into one. Seriously Does anyone else here not like bashers because it's freaking annoying. :( I hate it when people do it to me it hurts. There's a dofferece betweem construsctive critiscm and bashing, bashings just plain mean and often doesn't do anything but make you hate the basher itself. Honestly it hurts.

1/13/2010 #27
xRinrinx3

Hehe. This is one of my favorite topics. Always pretty interesting. Wow, do you leave a review for every story? I don't have too much time for that anymore. But if I review, it's usually something a bit more than, "This is so cute! Update!" I point out the specific good and bad things. It makes the review more personal. :l Well then I guess ANs are a good or bad thing depending on the person reading.

Of course, everyone likes reviews. But bashing is something I disagree with you on. I'm gonna admit that I've become pretty bitter and cynicial so I do bash on occasion in my reviews for stories that need major help. Yes, I will admit that I love complaining and bashing. I don't always bash in reviews. I just make a list of what they need to fix. Concrit may or may not come with bashing, which I learned is perfectly fine. In life, not everyone's going to be nice. Or more realistically, some people are more sensitive than others. =__=" Bashing along with concrit, though it might hurt feelings, is going to help. You'll write better, and you've (hopefully) toughened up. I've been 'bashed' before so I'd know. Trolling is what bugs me.

1/16/2010 #28
ThatGirl96

Trolling? What's that? Like, bashing to the extreme?

Agh, one thing that really bugs me is when someone will just go through all your chapters and say 'Update!' If the author has already said that he/she will not update, for whatever reson, then, don't expect them to update. Or if it says in they're profile 'will not / wil be updated ______' or whatever, then, you know what to expect.

Or when someone will just say 'Update, lolz cute!' on every single chapter, you get the feeling they are like, copy and pasting their reviews. I mean, I'm not elite and all, I can't go into this mega-huge amazing Concrit thing, but I willl tell you what I like or dislike. Or if it's cliche.

Okay , summary thing time :

1) Kiri and Kiwi were just 2 ordinary teenage girls, until they met the boys that would seperate their worlds and turn them upside down. *Warning: Blood, Vampires, OCx Tadase,OCx Ikuto and crappy writing*

TG96: Well, thank you for that lovely summary. I totally feel the need to read your fic. ( Normally just the fact that someone would substitute '2' for 'two' pisses me off. just something that happens.'

2)In the park Amu met these 5 other teens skating on skateboards. They are really cool teen thats called 'Sk8ter BoyZ' theres a girl in there.But Amu has a crush/love one of the guys. And the guys like her but onne of them sure do want Amu as a g.f but Who?

TG96: Do I even need to say anything? Capitilization, spelling 'onne'. I read the first chapter. And stopped at the first line.

3)- !An Amuto Fanfic! - Amu's lifelong dream is finally coming true,she is marrying Tadase! But when Tadase goes on a month long buisness trip before the wedding, Amu and Ikuto get closer than ever before...

TG96: Here we go again.

Here's a summary that I like :

4)They were just three simple words so why couldn't she say them?

TG96: There we go. You turn something like 'Amu knows she has feelings for Ikuto, but with so many things she just can't say it! -----AMUTO FTW----- plz R&R first SC fic'

Okay, I'm pretty sure I'm good now.

1/28/2010 #29
ThatGirl96

Trolling? What's that? Like, bashing to the extreme?

Agh, one thing that really bugs me is when someone will just go through all your chapters and say 'Update!' If the author has already said that he/she will not update, for whatever reson, then, don't expect them to update. Or if it says in they're profile 'will not / wil be updated ______' or whatever, then, you know what to expect.

Or when someone will just say 'Update, lolz cute!' on every single chapter, you get the feeling they are like, copy and pasting their reviews. I mean, I'm not elite and all, I can't go into this mega-huge amazing Concrit thing, but I willl tell you what I like or dislike. Or if it's cliche.

Okay , summary thing time :

1) Kiri and Kiwi were just 2 ordinary teenage girls, until they met the boys that would seperate their worlds and turn them upside down. *Warning: Blood, Vampires, OCx Tadase,OCx Ikuto and crappy writing*

TG96: Well, thank you for that lovely summary. I totally feel the need to read your fic. ( Normally just the fact that someone would substitute '2' for 'two' pisses me off. just something that happens.'

2)In the park Amu met these 5 other teens skating on skateboards. They are really cool teen thats called 'Sk8ter BoyZ' theres a girl in there.But Amu has a crush/love one of the guys. And the guys like her but onne of them sure do want Amu as a g.f but Who?

TG96: Do I even need to say anything? Capitilization, spelling 'onne'. I read the first chapter. And stopped at the first line.

3)- !An Amuto Fanfic! - Amu's lifelong dream is finally coming true,she is marrying Tadase! But when Tadase goes on a month long buisness trip before the wedding, Amu and Ikuto get closer than ever before...

TG96: Here we go again.

Here's a summary that I like :

4)They were just three simple words so why couldn't she say them?

TG96: There we go. You turn something like 'Amu knows she has feelings for Ikuto, but with so many things she just can't say it! -----AMUTO FTW----- plz R&R first SC fic'

Okay, I'm pretty sure I'm good now.

1/28/2010 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: xRinrinx3
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member