The Black Pearl
Welcome aboard the notorious Black Pearl. There's no need to stand on ceremony here, we're naught but humble pirates. Pull up a barrel, grab a tankard of rum, and settle in for tall tales and good company.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Intrepid Bandicoot

Salutations, gents!

It's nearly the New Year, so it is time for a new thread. :D

This particular thread is called "Ye Olde Dueling Club" and is created for the purpose of asking/answering questions about our beloved POTC movies.

However, there is a twist… A person asking a question, must CHALLENGE a particular member of the crew to answer their question. The person who's been challenged than answers the question and makes up a question of their own and challenges whoever they want to answer it, etc. For the sake of time, shall the challenge go unanswered for 24 hours (pay attention to the time the post was made!), any other member of the crew can answer the question at will to get the game moving. Do not feel bad if you've missed your challenge due to Real Life ganging up on you, show will go on! :)

~O~

*RULE UPDATE*

1. When challenging a particular member of the crew, please PM them and thus let them know that they have been challenged.

2. When posing a challenge, please stick to the 4 PotC movies only. Kindly refrain from asking question related to Wiki facts or PotC literature or director's cut versions of the movies.

3. If you intend to ask a very detail-oriented question, please specify in which movie (CotBP, DMC, AWE, or OST) the answer could be found.

4. Since this thread is mainly for fun, there are no points that can be gained/lost with right/wrong answers. If you've discovered that someone you've challenged had answered your question wrong, please PM them and politely (:P) make them aware of the fact.

~O~

I hope that the rules are clear. Let's give it a try!

"In Singapore, how did Sao Feng realize that there's an EITC spy in his bathhouse?"

I challenge Nytd.

12/23/2010 . Edited by Nytd, 7/24/2011 #1
Nytd

A: Sao Feng realized that there was a spy of some sort because of the fake tattoo that began to run down the traitor's back in the steam of the bath house. :)

Q: I challenge Stutley Constable. What rank is James Norrington during the crossing from England at the beginning of CotBP?

12/24/2010 #2
Stutley Constable

*Narrows eyes. Waits for it... PERRYS the home thrust! Steps back and feints low. LUNGE!*

A: At the time of the crossing from England James Norrington was a Lieutenant of His Majesties Royal Navy. He is addressed as such by both Mr. Gibbs and by Governor Swann.

(Just happened to be watching the movie while wrapping presents.)

I challenge Pirate-on-Fleet-Street.

Q: What are the first words Elizabeth Swann says to Captain Jack Sparrow in CotBP?

12/24/2010 . Edited 12/24/2010 #3
Pirate-on-Fleet-Street

A: The first words Elizabeth said to Jack in CotBP were "It's Miss Swann," after he called her Elizabeth.

Q: When did we first hear the lines "Take what you can, give nothing back?" (Which part of which movie)

I challenge Maddie Hatter.

12/25/2010 #4
Intrepid Bandicoot

It's been more than 24 hours sinse the challenge has been issued, so, as per the rules of the game, I take it upon myself to answer it.

A: We hear "Take what you can, give nothing back" for the firs time in POTC: COTBP, when Jack toasts a deal he just made with Gibbs. The conversation goes on in Tortuga, inside a tavern.

Q: What object was Mistress Ching's Piece-of-Eight?

I challenge Belphegor.

12/26/2010 #5
Belphegor

A: Mistress Ching's Piece-of-Eight was a pair of spectacles. (Do you think she may have been part of the first Nine Pirate Lords who imprisoned Calypso?)

Q: What is the last thing Jack Sparrow and Will Turner said to each other before Jack was swallowed by the Kraken?

I challenge Damsel-in-Stress.

12/27/2010 #6
Intrepid Bandicoot

A: Will: "My father is on that ship. If we can outrun her, we can take her. We should turn and fight!" Jack: "Why fight when you can negotiate?"

Q: As you know, when running away from the Pelegostos, Jack Sparrow dallied in a hut and thus was captured. In a hut, he procured a rope and picked up a jar of spice, which he later generously applied all over himself. Which spice was it?

I challenge Obiwanlivesforever.

12/28/2010 . Edited 12/28/2010 #7
Obiwanlivesforever

A: The spice that Jack Sparrow generously applied all over himself was paprika, I believe.

Q: In At World's End, when the ship is sailing to (in?) Davy Jones' Locker, the pirates see a bunch of dead bodies floating in the water. What do Pintel and Ragetti try to drop on the dead bodies?

I challenge Pirate-On-Fleet-Street.

12/29/2010 #8
Pirate-on-Fleet-Street

A: Pintel and Ragetti were going to drop cannon balls before Calypso stopped them.

Q: What was the currency of the realm before currency, as Governor Swann believed?

I challenge Intrepid Bandicoot.

PS. How do you highlight text?

12/29/2010 . Edited 12/29/2010 #9
Intrepid Bandicoot

A: Lord Cutler Beckett: "No doubt you've discovered that loyalty is no longer the currency of the realm as your father believes."

Q: Besides the heart of Davy Jones, what were the contents of the Dead Man's Chest?

I challenge ChaosandMayhem.

p.s. Above the window, there's a box called "styles". Select the word/sentence you want to highlight, click on the arrow by the box and choose "highlight" option... :)

12/29/2010 . Edited 12/29/2010 #10
Intrepid Bandicoot

A: The Dead Man's Chest also contained a bunch of letters and a bouquet of dry yellow (or white, it's hard to tell in their dried state) roses.

Q: In Cotton's parrot's vocabulary, what particular phrase meant "yes"?

I challenge Stutley Constable.

p.s. You, folks, know that anyone can answer a challenge that has not been answered for 24 hours, right? I feel weird answering my own posts... :P

12/31/2010 . Edited 12/31/2010 #11
Stutley Constable

Q: In Cotton's parrot's vocabulary, what particular phrase meant "yes"?

A: I'm going off the cuff but I think it was "Ready to Sail".

I challenge Tina Marina.

Q: In CotBP what instrument does the cursed pirate Jacoby play? (There are several terms for it. Any of them will do.)

As corrected by Bandicoot, Cotton's Parrot actually says, "Wind in the sails." That's what you get after years of having power tools screaming around you and large objects falling on concrete. I concede the point. So what happens now?

12/31/2010 . Edited 1/1/2011 #12
Intrepid Bandicoot

An update to the dueling rules, crew!

As per Stutley Constable's advice, I think that it would be very practical if every time someone issues a challenge, they would also PM the party they are challenging to let them know.

As you were, gents... :)

1/1/2011 #13
Tina Marina

Q: In CotBP what instrument does the cursed pirate Jacoby play? (There are several terms for it. Any of them will do.)

A: ETA: Found it! Looks like an accordian? Good question, Stutley! :)

I challenge Ninteennintytwo.

Q: Jack spends much of DMC without his hat. How does it get lost?

1/3/2011 . Edited 1/3/2011 #14
nineteennintytwo

Q: Jack spends much of DMC without his hat. How does it get lost?

A: The monkey snatches it from his head and throws it overboard. Then everyone gives Jack that "OMG" look when he says for them to leave it :)

I challenge xx hidden darkness xx

Q: Who is the author of the book which the 4th PotC film "On Stranger Tides" is based on?

1/3/2011 #15
duchessloki

Q: Who is the author of the book which the 4th PotC film "On Stranger Tides" is based on?

A: I believe that it is Tim Powers.

Q: What is the English translation of the word 'Tortuga'?

I challenge Belphegor.

1/4/2011 #16
Belphegor

Q: What is the English translation of the word 'Tortuga'?

A: It's the "Turtle". In French there is no other way to call it, save in PotC :o)

Q: Will brings a sword to the Governor's mansion at the beginning of CotBP. How many times does it changes hands in the course of the three films?

I challenge thebrokenbiscuitcompany. Here's to you, Biscuit! :o)

1/4/2011 #17
thebrokenbiscuitcompany

Q: Will brings a sword to the Governor's mansion at the beginning of CotBP. How many times does it changes hands in the course of the three films?

A: Oh my lord ummm I believe it goes from Will, Gov Swann, Norrington, Beckett, Norrington, Davy Jones, Jack, Will, so 7 times? Correct me if I'm wrong :S

Q: Jack wears a purple ring, referred to as the Stolen Ring. But who did he steal it from?

I challenge Chaosandmayhem XD

1/4/2011 #18
ChaosandMayhem

Q: Jack wears a purple ring, referred to as the Stolen Ring. But who did he steal it from?

A: Ahhh Tia Dalma, if memory serves correctly.

Q: How many guineas are listed on Jack's wanted poster?

I challenge Stutley Constable!

1/4/2011 . Edited 1/4/2011 #19
Stutley Constable

Q: How many guineas are listed on Jack's wanted poster?

A: Truthfully, I have no idea even in which movie that appears. I recall having seen a wanted poster for Jack somewhere and I think it was 10,001 guineas but I am fairly sure it was a fan made poster. Sorry to disappoint.

I challenge ChaosandMayhem.

Q: How many masts are used to drive the HMS Interceptor before the wind?

1/4/2011 #20
Nytd

Just butting in here because I can. :D

Curious about the correct number of times that the sword changes hands.

By my figuring it goes from Will to Governor Swann, back to Will who flips it, back to Governor Swann who puts it back in the scabbard, back to Will who puts it in the box, then to Governor Swann who picks the box up, then to the coachman who carries it out of the mansion, then back to Governor Swann(since he has to present it) then to Norrington, then to Beckett, then to Norrington, then to Davy Jones, then to some random navy guy on the FD during the maelstrom, then back to Davy Jones(after he stabs random navy guy), and then to Will (the hard way). That's thirteen, is that right?

Man, if I'm right or really close, I need to get me a life. :)

1/4/2011 . Edited 1/4/2011 #21
ChaosandMayhem

I think it was 10,001 guineas

That's what I remember seeing from Jack's wiki page...yep, that's what I do in my spare time. Don't worry, Nytd, I really need a life too. ;)

Q: How many masts are used to drive the HMS Interceptor before the wind?

A: *sticks out tongue in concentration* Lemme see...two, isn't it?

Q: What are the names of the two pirates who blow up the Interceptor?

I challenge Bandicoot!

Nytd, I believe you're either right or very close to it. All this sword-exchanging makes me dizzy....

1/4/2011 #22
Stutley Constable

That's what I remember seeing from Jack's wiki page...

I call shenanigans! *Places right forefinger to side of nose and points at Chaos.*

1/4/2011 #23
ChaosandMayhem

*raises hands in innocence* I swear I didn't do it!

1/4/2011 #24
Intrepid Bandicoot

Q: What are the names of the two pirates who blow up the Interceptor?

A: Methinks those were Twigg and Koehler.

~O~

Q: As we know, in DMC, Norrington temporarilly becames a part of the Black Pearl's crew. Just before boarding the Pearl for the first time, he was "trusted" to carry something on board. What was it?

I challenge Nytd.

1/4/2011 #25
Nytd

Q: As we know, in DMC, Norrington temporarilly becames a part of the Black Pearl's crew. Just before boarding the Pearl for the first time, he was "trusted" to carry something on board. What was it?

A: The former commodore was sarcastically welcomed aboard the Black Pearl by Pintel, who handed him a goat to carry.

~O~

Q: Bit of a trick question here - What was the name of the very first ship destroyed by the Kraken in DMC?

I challenge damsel.

1/5/2011 #26
damsel-in-stress

Q: Bit of a trick question here - What was the name of the very first ship destroyed by the Kraken in DMC?

A: Well... if memory serves, the first ship to be destroyed is the one crewed by those two hapless sailors who pick up Jack's lost hat as it floats by. I don't think it had a name. Did it?

~O~

Q: What is James Norrington's final act before his death in AWE?

I challenge Chaos.

1/5/2011 . Edited 1/5/2011 #27
ChaosandMayhem

Q: What is James Norrington's final act before his death in AWE?

A: Why stabbing Davy Jones, of course! He went down like a true hero. *salutes*

~O~

Q: We see plenty of the undead in CotBP...but who was the first person to be killed onscreen?

I challenge Belphegor

1/5/2011 #28
Nytd

Nicely done, damsel!

These questions are great, gang! :)

1/5/2011 #29
Belphegor

Q: Who is the first person to be killed onscreen in CotBP?

A: A lot of people get thrown about by explosions during the attack on Port Royal, but the first murder the camera lingers on for more than three seconds is the butler of the Governor's household. Poor bugger :S

Now...

Q: An easy one (though your mileage may vary, of course.) What are Captain Barbossa's last words in CotBP?

I challenge Queen Nightshade :o)

1/5/2011 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Nytd damsel-in-stress, Tina Marina, Belphegor, ChaosandMayhem, Intrepid Bandicoot, FreedomOftheSeas
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member