Life Lessons as taught by The Great Detective
A list of anything and everything we can learn from Sherlock Holmes and his world - from humor to friendship to basically anything. Please contribute to the list!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Fhennix

I read all the books, I went to the museum in london, and believe me, I saw a lot of quotes of the great detective, here´s one, trnslated into Spanish, my language:

"Toda mente lógica ve las cosas tal y como son, no exagera ni disminuye"

- Sherlock Holmes, in "The Greek Translator"

2/6/2010 #1
samy1250

and what does this mean?

4/9/2010 #2
Mam'zelleCombeferre

Ran it through Google translator. It means:

Any logical mind sees things as they are, does not exaggerate or diminishes"

7/16/2010 #3
MuseOfOrpheus

Don't know if this forum is still running, but when I saw this, I couldn't help but post a few of my own.

"'My mind,' he said, 'rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me the most abstruse cryptogram, or the most intricate analysis, and I am in my own proper atmosphere.'" (The Sign of Four)

"Only that I insist upon your dining with us. It will be ready in half an hour. I have oysters and a brace of grouse, with something a little choice in white wines. Watson, you have never yet recognized my merits as a housekeeper." (The Sign of Four)

"A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums." (The Redheaded League)

"You have a grand gift of silnce, Watson, ' said he. 'It makes you quite invaluable as a companion. 'Pon my word, it is a great thing for me to have someone to talk to, for my own thoughts are not over-pleasant." (The Man with the Twisted Lip)

"When I see you, my dear Watson, with a week's accumulation of dust upon your hat, and when your wife allows you to go out in such a state, I shall fear that you also have been unfortunate enough to lose your wife's affection." (The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle)

"My name is Sherlock Holmes. It is my business to know what other people don't know." (The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle)

4/2/2011 #4
Mam'zelleCombeferre

Yay! The forum isn't dead!!!!! I love all these quotes, particularly the second one to the bottom. :)

4/2/2011 #5
MuseOfOrpheus

:) Me too. Holmes certainly has a strage sense of humor, don't you think?

4/2/2011 #6
MuseOfOrpheus

*strange! I meant strange! My computer is plotting against me, I swear!

4/2/2011 #7
Mam'zelleCombeferre

Very much so, but if he didn't then he wouldn't really be Holmes. ;)

4/2/2011 #8
MuseOfOrpheus

True, true. Ya gotta love him and all his strangeness.

4/2/2011 #9
Mam'zelleCombeferre

Definitely :) So then I've got to ask, who would say you are more like, Holmes or Watson?? :)

4/2/2011 #10
MuseOfOrpheus

Oh, man. Depends on what you're basing it off of.........

Train of thought;

Strange obsessions with random things: Holmes

Judgemental at times, jumping to conclusions: Watson

Observer, more of a bystander than anything else: Watson

Many addictions: Holmes

I don't know, really. I've been compared to Holmes more than once, which strikes me as odd. Holmes is more.......analytical, logical, logos based. He does say himself that he's above those "softer emotions" like love. I myself is a romantic at heart. And of course, one can always connect better with the character in the first person perspective. So I'll have to say Watson. Although I find Holmes very, very intruging.

4/2/2011 #11
Mam'zelleCombeferre

Cool. :) I would say I am more of Holmes, but a friend of mine actually calls me her Watson, so they must be seeing something I'm not.

4/2/2011 #12
MuseOfOrpheus

Lol. :)

Actually, my friends are currently obsessed with Sherlock Holmes as well. We've read all the stories together (for the millionth time), and decided to take on some alter egoes. Of course, seeing MY luck, I was made Mary Morstan. *roll eyes* But it's all in good fun, actually. We have the BEST conversations XD

4/2/2011 #13
Mam'zelleCombeferre

:) Sadly none of my close friends are Sherlock Holmes fans, but I have a friend on here who is just as obsessed as I am. :) Her name is OneDarkAndStormyNight. :)

4/2/2011 #14
221stIrregular

Just found this! So, here are some of my favorite Sherlock Holmes quotes:

"There's the scarlet thread of murder running through the colourless skein of life, and our duty is to unravel it, and isolate it, and expose every inch of it." -A Study in Scarlet

"It is that the chief proof of man's real greatness lies in his perception of his own smallness." -The Sign of Four

"Why, you're a common burglar." "So you might describe me," said Holmes cheerfully. "My companion is also a dangerous ruffian. And together we are going through your house." -The Disappearance of Lady Frances Carfax

"You stand fast?" "Absolutely."- The Final Problem

"You don't mind breaking the law?" "Not in the least." "Nor running a chance of arrest?" "Not in a good cause."- A Scandal in Bohemia

1/14/2012 #15
Chihori Anigma
I don't see how no one put this up before: "I see you have come from Aphghanistan."-A Study In Scarlet My favorite quote!
4/22/2014 #16
Forum Moderators: OneDarkandStormyNight
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member