New Horrors
Ideas about new Mythos horrors, new Mythos manuscripts, etc.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »
hopfrog

H. P. Lovecraft has influenced the writing of Mythos fiction by young new writers since his days of writing for Weird Tales in the 1920s. Although Lovecraft was never famous in his lifetime, his influence was strong in that small Weird Tales Circle, which included writers who would go on to become prolific authors, such as Robert Bloch, August Derleth, Frank Belknap Long, Donald Wandrei, Carl Jacobi, and many others. These writers were not only influenced by Lovecraft's Mythos stories, but by their friendship with the man himself. Two of the earliest Mythos tales, Frank Long's "The Space Eaters" and Bob Bloch's "The Shambler from the Stars," used characters that were based on H. P. Lovecraft himself. Bloch's earliest tales were highly influenced by the writings of Lovecraft, and Derleth had an entire career of not only writing Mythos fiction (indeed, it is Derleth who invented the term "Cthulhu Mythos"), but publishing book after book of Mythos fiction when he established his publishing venture, Arkham House.

It was Derleth and Arkham House that published the first books by such writers as Robert Bloch, Ray Bradbury, Donald Wandrei, Brian Lumley and Ramsey Campbell, among so many others. It was August Derleth who tried to systematize the Mythos and give it a kind of structure, and he was also extremely controlling. He would tell people that Arkham House owned the copyright for the Cthulhu Mythos and that people could not write such stories unless they had his permission. And Derleth edited what is still perhaps the finest anthology of Mythos fiction, Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos (Arkham House, 1969; the book was later revised by Jim Turner, whose new version dropped some of the older stories and introduced many new ones). One of the most controversial aspect of Derleth's involvement with the Mythos are the fact "collaborations" with H. P. Lovecraft that he published in the book, The Survivor and Others. All of these stories were written by Derleth alone after Lovecraft's death, Lovecraft had absolutely nothing to do with them. Yet Derleth attached HPL's name to the byline because he used ideas of Lovecraft's from the Commonplace Book, and in the novel The Lurker at the Threshold Derleth used some wordage of Lovecraft's that were found after Lovecraft's death.

After Derleth's death, there was an explosion of Mythos writing, and of new Lovecraft scholarship. Arkham House had a steady hand in this, publishing a new anthology of Cthulhu Mythos stories edited by Ramsey Campbell, and other new books in the Mythos. Fanzines and small press journals flourished that contained new stories of the Mythos by young new writers (that's how I got my start in writing, back in the early 1970s). And now we have the Internet, and forums such as this, where fans can post their own Cthulhu Mythos fan fic and discuss the Mythos in all of its aspects. Although I am a professional writer and have written many Mythos books, I began as a fan and that fannish aspect is still extremely evident in everything I write. My problem with a lot of fan fiction is simply that so much of it is silly and boring, it doesn't seem to have been given much thought, and it is used to make jokes about Cthulhu and such instead of treating the whole thing in a serious and mature manner. This makes me a bit of a snob, I know. But I'm here to encourage fans to write Mythos fiction and to read H. P. Lovecraft.

7/5/2012 #1
Fan Of Games

@hopfrog: I've got to say, that's a pretty detailed summery of the history about the authors of the Mythos, Derleth and Arkham House, how you became involved with the Mythos, and how the Mythos is today. You certainly know your stuff when it comes to the Mythos. Personally I prefer to just read the tales, but a little history lesson every now and then is good since it could provide some more insight into the stories.

7/5/2012 #2
hopfrog

For most fans, reading the stories is all they care about, and that's cool. Some of us become obsessed fans and we want to know EVERYTHING about the history of the Mythos and all of that. One of my best friends is S. T. Joshi, and he has written a number of things concerning the history of the Mythos, perhaps his best book is The Rise and Fall of the Cthulhu Mythos, published by Mythos Books. S. T. has also edited an extremely good anthology, Black Wings of Cthulhu, and is working on other anthologies of Mythos fiction. So I'm caught up with all of that, it's like an entire world of Lovecraftian goodness.

I also read the fiction of H. P. Lovecraft incessantly, because I am always using Lovecraft's own stories as inspiration for my own Mythos stories. My favorite collections of Lovecraft's fiction are the three annotated editions from Penguin Classics: The Call of Cthulhu and other Weird Stories, The Thing on the Doorstep and other Weird Stories and The Dreams in the Witch House and other Weird Stories. Barnes & Noble have published a fantastic one-volume hardcover of all of Lovecraft's fiction called H. P. Lovecraft: The Fiction that sells for about $13. And you can read all of Lovecraft's fiction for free online at what is the best H. P. Lovecraft site, The H. P. Lovecraft Archive at www.hplovecraft.com. There used to be a bunch of sites where people posted their own Mythos fan fic, but many of them went inactive and seem to have disappeared. This always confuses me, since there are SO MANY Lovecraft fans out there. I hope this one stays around for a long time, and that together we can generate a lot of activity.

7/5/2012 #3
Fan Of Games

@hopfrog: I guess you could group me with the obsessed fans, but I don't think I go as far as they do. I mean, sure, I love reading the stories and I think the history and what's canon is pretty interesting, but I don't really strive to learn everything in some crazy manner. My approach is to just look up what I think could be useful for my fanfiction on Wikipedia and copy any articles to a word document so I can refer to them without having to constantly type in what I'm looking for on Wikipedia.

I do happen to have copies of two of those Penguin Classics that you mentioned--The Call of Cthulhu andThe Thing on the Doorstep--and I have to say that they're pretty good. I also have some other anthologies, some of which have stories by other Mythos authors in them.

Oh, and thanks for the link to that H.P. Lovecraft site. I'll check it out sometime and see if there's anything I haven't read yet.

7/5/2012 #4
Wrathnar the Unreasonable

I've been a fan of HPL for many years. Although I write original horror based on my own ideas, I am also working on a Mythos novel ( Scarab Eclipse, 50,000 words so far ), the first chapter of which I've posted on this site.

For two years I ran a social network - The Temple of Nyarlathotep - for writers and artists in the genre that HPL himself described as 'cosmic horror'. We amassed a large amount of really great content, but unfortunately the webhost - Socialgo - took down the site without warning when they discontinued the free version. I would have liked to upgrade but couldn't afford it at the time.

I've only just joined the fanfiction site, and I'm finding it a little tricky to navigate, but I hope I'll get the hang of it eventually. It's interesting and fun so far!

3/3/2014 #5
Fan Of Games

@Wrathnar the Unreasonable: It's good to see another fan of Lovecraft's visiting this little community on the site. Unfortunately, the Cthulhu Mythos doesn't seem to be that popular on this site anymore because no one has posted anything on the forums in a long time and also since there aren't many good stories posted here in my opinion. I prefer to stick with the original tales penned by Lovecraft himself and other authors like Derleth and Lumley, but there have been a couple pieces here that caught my attention and have been good reading.

It feels good to make another post for the Cthulhu Mythos community, but sadly I feel that it won't last long for the first reason stated above. Back when Regina Demonica and Mantinas were around, the three of us (including me) had some good discussions on the Mythos and even attempted to do a roleplay--which didn't get past the character creation stage, plus only Regina and myself made characters. Things got better when hopfrog and some other authors came and posted in the forums, but that didn't last long either.

That's why I feel this community is dying. Nobody has really breathed some life into it so the Mythos is left to flounder on this site as everyone involved with it just kind of went their own ways. I don't know what everyone else is doing (though I think hopfrog is currently working on another Mythos story for an anthology) but I've been publishing my works in other communities here.

Sorry this wasn't too much of a welcome into this Mythos community. It's just that this place has felt pretty empty for a long time. I'm not sure if the Cthulhu Mythos will have as strong a presence as it does elsewhere, but at the very least it still exists here.

3/4/2014 #6
Wrathnar the Unreasonable

Well, I see that there are 117 Mythos stories posted on the site, which ain't bad. I'm starting to get into conversations with other posters, so maybe I could point them towards this forum?

3/4/2014 #7
Fan Of Games

@Wrathnar the Unreasonable: True, 117 (technically 118 now since another story was posted) isn't that bad. Though for a community that hasn't really grown too much since all the major players involved with its development have left, it's not looking very strong either. Personally I feel that the Mythos community on this site is just barely sputtering along because there are few people who actually publish stories here. It's good that someone involved with another Mythos website like yourself has become a part of this community, but sadly it's a lonely place. Compared to other communities that do have a strong following, the Mythos just feels like a small child trying to play with the big boys; it may get somewhere, but communities that are more popular tend to develop faster. I think it's a good idea to inform others in different communities about this one, though I'm not sure if a lot of people will take an active interest; at the very least, you could give it a shot and see where things go from there.

3/5/2014 #8
TailsLovesCosmo

Most people that come to this site are interested in pairings (which don't exist in Lovecraft, despite Night Galleries attempts to turn the narrators of some of his stories into women in love with his doomed characters) and most rping these days in forums is MA, something else which shouldn't exist in Lovecraft. He already has a bad enough reputation of writing gore and sex because of the low budget movies that have been made that used a few trappings of his works like the Necronomicon or Miskatonic University but otherwise had nothing to do with his stories. The movie From Beyond only briefly touched on his story of the same name before the opening credits. The rest of the movie had nothing to do with Lovecraft.

6/15/2014 #9
Fan Of Games

@TailsLovesCosmo: Indeed, I too wish the works of Lovecraft were spared this publicity since I feel it has turned many away from his writings as concepts which haven't been a part of the Mythos were practically forced onto it to make the stories seem more frightening by providing visuals which can't compare to our imagination of what goes on in the Mythos. It does harm to the reputation Lovecraft became known for by adding visuals that pretty much delude his works into forms of practical horror that don't live up to the psychologically terrifying beings Lovecraft wrote of.

6/16/2014 #10
TailsLovesCosmo

For years Guillermo del Toro has been trying to film At the Mountains of Madness. One of the reasons he hasn't been able to sell the idea is he insists he needs an R rating. For what exactly? The only thing I can think of would be the scene where one group is found dead and disected by the Elder Things. It would be shocking, but it should only be one very short scene. Does he want to have the camera pan across the compound and show multiple mutilated bodies, both human and dogs, with blood and intestines all over the place? Scenes of the penguins being slaughtered? This would go against the ending, where Lovecraft had his storyteller feel sympathy for the creatures. I'd also hope he wouldn't try to show the things Danforth talked about at the end that finally made him lose his mind. Yog-Sothoth, proto-shoggoths, colour out of space, and the rest. Those are things that should only be imagined. Trying to show them would be disappointing.

6/16/2014 #11
Fan Of Games

@TailsLovesCosmo: I'm in full agreement on most of that; though I believe the one gory scene of the crew coming across the aftermath following the camp's obliteration can work because as short as it may be, the scene would still be universally practical. Imagining the scenario isn't difficult and it feels like everyone who read At the Mountains of Madness would understand that the settings of that camp would be the same as their imaginations universally instead of individually.

6/18/2014 #12
TailsLovesCosmo

But if the studio is refusing to make the movie because they want a PG-13 rating and that scene is the problem then it should be possible to depict it on screen without making it graphic enough that the film gets an R slapped onto it. And once he gets it made he can always do a director's cut and put the R scene in. While Lovecraft does mention it several times so it must have been very gruesome, he doesn't go into details, and good acting would be able to show the horror of the scene without putting it all on film. The problem there of course is the people you see in horror movies aren't the sort that are likely to win awards for great acting.

6/18/2014 #13
Fan Of Games

@TailsLovesCosmo: That's true, though my question about the PG-13 rating is why. Why does the studio want a PG-13 rating for a movie that would practically be R rated due to the appearance of Shoggoths that would constitute an R rating? You're right that a director's cut can include the scene, but would the studio really allow the director to change the rating if it was originally PG-13? It doesn't seem like it would make much difference really if only a single new scene is added to slightly increase the amount of time the director's cut runs, and even then it still probably wouldn't matter because it's one R rated scene in a movie completely filled with PG-13 content. The whole point of adding it in would feel moot since one scene does not simply make an R rated movie.

6/19/2014 #14
TailsLovesCosmo

It is odd because their 2010 Wolfman remake was rated R. Del Toro promised to make a Frankenstein remake for them and that'll probably also be R. Most horror movies are. Perhaps they're thinking of marketing it to the same audience that watched Iron Man and Avengers. It may also be an excuse to stall Del Toro until he gets tired and gives up. Alfred Hitchcock had to film Psycho in black and white because the studio he sold it to decided they didn't want a movie like that and refused to give him funding, so he had to raise most of the money himself and couldn't afford color film or a famous star and had to hire unknown Anthony Perkins. I believe he wanted Tony Curtis, which would have meant that Curtis would have been in the disturbing position of having to stab his wife to death in the shower.

6/19/2014 #15
DryadPrincess

I'm listening to At the Mountains of Madness on youtube and the narrator says he's 54. You know they're not gonna want to make a movie where the main character is that old. They'd make the student Danforth who goes crazy at the end the star.

6/23/2014 #16
Fan Of Games

@TailsLovesCosmo: Horror movies usually are rated R due to content like blood & gore, though marketing them to an audience that watched completely different movies might just cause the films to lose revenue rather than gain it. You should know the target audience that will be impressed with the movie, so one of your best tactics is to market it to people who favor certain elements in it.

@DryadPrincess: True, but movies that are based on something don't follow all of the criteria present in the original source. Professor Dyer may have been fifty-four in the original novelette, but the film industry could just make him a little younger in the film adaption. The recent Dunwich Horror movie on the SYFY channel for example was based on the original story, but it was different because the movie contained some alterations to the plot such as changing the gender of one of the professors who appeared in the original Dunwich Horror.

6/25/2014 #17
TailsLovesCosmo

Those may be more problems between Del Toro and the studio. They may be pushing for a much younger Dyer and a female Danforth so they can have a romance. Del Toro has insisted he wants to follow the original source's criteria or he won't make it. It is strange they'd want a happy ending in a horror film. Perhaps they see it as an adventure or science fiction film instead of horror.

In 1956 a British film called The Gamma People was released. The star was 51 at the time. Possibly this was acceptable in England, where Peter Cushing starred in Hammer's Frankenstein series up until he was 60. Del Toro may have to find a foreign studio to get the film he wants.

6/25/2014 #18
Fan Of Games

@TailsLovesCosmo: He just might have to find a foreign studio if the film industry here in America wants to follow a specific set of criteria that is irrelevant to the original story.

6/26/2014 #19
TailsLovesCosmo

He might have to. Otherwise we could end up seeing Dyer and Danforth having martial arts battles with the Elder Things and dropping napalm from their plane on the Shoggoth.

6/26/2014 #20
TailsLovesCosmo

Just announced upcoming comic book about the Shadow facing Deep Ones. The title?

The Shadow Over Innsmouth...

Ba-bump bump!

7/27/2014 #21
Sexy Lovecraft

A Romance in "At the Mountains of Madness"? Why?

And, if they do that, the studio will make a 40-year-old Dyer (personally, I want to see an attractive guy with 40 years being badass, because I'm a woman and you know how we are) and a female Lake. And still it won't make sense (if the movie is in the 30s).

And I think that the story have a happy ending. (Spoilers) The Elder Ones died, the shoggoths didn't invade the planet and Dyer and Danforth escape and they didn't die. Ok, Danforth become mad and their some guys who want to return to the Antarctic, do some crap, but it's a happy ending. Kind of.

8/22/2014 #22
DryadPrincess

Marvel is making an Ant-Man movie with Michael Douglas as the title character, but retelling the whole story so he's old and retiring so they can have Ant-Man II take over. I'm sure there are guys in their 50s that could still carry a movie. Arnold says he wants to make another Conan movie and he's 67.

8/22/2014 #23
Tim66

Greetings all. I too am a big H.P. Lovecraft fan. Glad to see I'm not alone here.

Anyway, I've written a spin off Fan Fiction series of the show, Charmed, called the Rex and Hannah Chronicles Four of those stories (I've written 33 to date) tie into H.P. Lovecraft (although I've put my own spin on things, of course). The stories in question are The Old Ones, The Dark Planet, the Black Stone, and The Emperor's Legacy. You'll find them in the Crossover section (since it crosses over with Charmed) if any of you are interested.

12/31/2014 #24
Crow's Talon

Hi, Tim66! I'm Crow, and it's great to meet another Lovecraft reader. Welcome to the forum.

For my part, I'm currently rewriting a few of my old Mythos stories. The Island is the main one, and the one rewritten the most heavily - I think the rewrite is an improvement, since the characterization and suspense are a bit better in the rewrite and I feel that my writing has matured. All in the Family had a touch-up to bring it in line with my current style and fix a few mistakes I found in the original draft. Both stories are in the regular Mythos section if anyone would like to read them.

There's a new story called The Crystal Spire I'm working on. It's planned to be centered around the Mi-Go and Yuggoth and is set in modern times, but I'm not sure where to go past that.

1/2 #25
Fan Of Games

It's good to see another Lovecraft fan in this small community of writers. Although I welcome you into the community, sadly I have moved on to other communities on this site. The Cthulhu Mythos community has not experienced a significant growth from my experience with it in the past as there were very few authors, myself included, who contributed stories to this community. It used to be Mantinas, Regina Demonica, and myself for the most part, but then the three of us moved on and didn't keep in touch through these forums very often. Although Mantinas and I have returned at brief intervals to see how the community was doing, there still wasn't much activity going on to really keep anybody here and interested in the work everyone does for it. Other individuals like Hopfrog (Wilum Hopfrog Pugmire, a well-known author whose Cthulhu Mythos stories have been published in several anthologies) have also joined in, but sadly there is still not much activity here as everyone involved in the community has more or less left it for long periods of time, and it's unclear whether some of them will return to the community or not. So again, while I do welcome you to this little community as a fellow Fanfiction writer of Cthulhu Mythos stories, it is unfortunate that the community itself appears to have very little life in it. It's a sad state of affairs, especially as several of us are not on board with the community anymore as much as we would like to be because other projects and things in real life caught our attention, but at least there is an imprint of the work we've done for the community. At least we have that even though the imprint itself has become pretty stale over time. I wish this community was more active, but what can you do to breathe life into a community that hasn't experienced much progress because it was inactive for the most part?

1/2 #26
Crow's Talon
used to be Mantinas, Regina Demonica, and myself

I am Regina Demonica - I took a break from the fandom for personal reasons and changed my username, but I'm back and I plan to be here to stay, especially since I've started writing Mythos fiction again.

1/2 #27
Tim66

I decided that it's a New Year, and it's time for a new direction for our two favourite former Warlocks. So, for Rex and Hannah, that means good-bye San Francisco and hello Lovecraft Country. In an upcoming story, Rex will be taking a new job at Miskatonic University in Arkham, Massachusetts. That means he and Hannah will be moving there. Of course, things will not be as they seem, and perhaps Rex's new job comes with perks that he wasn't anticipating. This is still in the early planning stages, but I think this is the right way to go. I've already dropped the Halliwells as guest characters, and the next logical step is to move R&H away from San Francisco (the setting of Charmed). Since I'm now aiming for the Lovecraft fans, moving R&H into his territory seemed right. Of course, not all of R&H's adventures in their new home will be Lovecraft related, but I am going to develop a story arc that involves Lovecraftian themes. Stay tuned.

Rex and Hannah visited Yuggoth in The Dark Planet.

1/2 . Edited 1/2 #28
Fan Of Games

@Crow's Talon: It's good to see you back. I had noticed you changed your username when I saw your story, The Island, but I thought you had changed it while writing for a different fandom. I am currently working on a crossover between Fire Emblem and Amnesia: The Dark Descent, a Lovecraftian game that can be considered to be inspired by Lovecraft's works. While I may not write for this community directly anymore, this project I'm working on, Amnesia: A Sister's Despair, will be a contribution to the fandom even it is not directly in this community. I also have two other ideas for Amnesia I'm thinking about doing, though there are also plenty of other ideas I've got in addition to those two that I also want to do. In any case, growth has been slow for the community and I have moved on to other communities, so I may not be involved in with the Cthulhu Mythos community that much anymore aside from checking out the stories from time to time on occasion. Still, I hope the community is able to make good progress and become something more. Here's to the Cthulhu Mythos community on this site, and here's to the authors who have contributed their works to it. May your stories prosper, and remember: "that is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons, even death may die." - H.P. Lovecraft.

1/3 #29
Crow's Talon

Thank you for the welcome, Fan of Games, and it's nice to see you again. I'm happy to be back, too. I got an absolutely gorgeous Christmas present - a collection of all Lovecraft's stories from Weird Tales in a facsimile edition, reprinted how they would have looked in the magazine, with all of the original font and illustrations. It reminded me how important the Mythos is to my writing and how great the community here was, and combined with watching the two HPLHS movies earlier it inspired me to start writing new Mythos fiction again.

Good luck with your writing projects, Fan of Games and Tim66. I'll see if I can visit a few of your stories, although I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Charmed or Amnesia: The Dark Descent yet. I've heard good things about Amnesia, though, so I'll be sure to play it at some point. It sounds great.

Rex and Hannah visited Yuggoth in The Dark Planet.

I'll definitely have to check that story out, then! It sounds really interesting.

1/3 . Edited 1/3 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: Fan Of Games
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member