The Reviews Lounge, Too
A forum for The Reviews Lounge, Too community, which spotlights the excellent stories in our archives and promotes reviewing all stories without the promise of getting a review in return. Don't forget to read the rules and introduce yourself first!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »
darkaccalia520

How about a 'Pimp and Promote Your Fandom' thread? It will help bring awareness to lesser known fandoms and possibly raise interest in them. I only say this since I write in a fandom that appears to be in the minority, not that Harry Potter and Glee aren't great. But, it's just a thought...since I find it difficult to get reviews, even when I post on the site. Everyone just seems intimidated...

7/1/2011 #91
Emily Mae

Can we have a thread to post what book(s) we're currently reading? As writers, I would assume a lot of us are avid readers and it'd be fun to have a thread to discuss books!

11/4/2011 #92
Madam'zelleGiry

What about a thread to post all of the awesome vids we find on youtube for our fandoms?

4/3/2012 #93
SiriuslyPeeved

I like the video fun thread idea :)

Also the recommend a book idea of Emily's.

In Randomness today some people were discussing a "review swap," not a tag but a planned exchange; our HP forum does this monthly and it's a great way to do some in depth reading / CC.

We have a list of participants, mods match them up by rating / things they can and can't read, then both parties have 2-3 weeks to complete, and post a link to the story they reviewed. I can't share ours because it's in a mEmbrr area, but I can send the basics if mods are interested :)

4/3/2012 . Edited 4/3/2012 #94
truthsetfree

I like the book idea, although I would like to argue for it not just being about what we're currently reading, but also for stuff we've read and really liked.

4/3/2012 #95
Wendy Brune

I was kind of thinking of having a Pimp and Promote Your Anything Else thread, where you could share videos you find, books you love, songs you've made, or blogs you run.

The review swap sounds interesting as well!

4/3/2012 #96
truthsetfree

"I was kind of thinking of having a Pimp and Promote Your Anything Else thread, where you could share videos you find, books you love, songs you've made, or blogs you run."

I love that idea.

4/3/2012 #97
SiriuslyPeeved

An "original fiction swap" thread could be fun as well... I'm sure many of us have non-fanfic projects floating around that we'd like to get a variety of opinions on! The swapping itself would need to be done by DocX or by email if the participants were comfortable with that, I don't generally post my original fiction anywhere online. Just a thought :)

4/8/2012 . Edited 4/8/2012 #98
Hope the Ghost Writer

OOH! OOH! Can we do an improv story? :3 Like, one person would post a sentence, then another person would add another sentence, and so on. It'd be fun!

4/9/2012 #99
truthsetfree

Hello Hope,

We already have one of those. It's listed as "Game: Round Robin, RLt Style."

You're welcome to join in.

4/9/2012 #100
darkaccalia520

I have an idea for a topic. FFN doesn't do a very good job about explaining how everything works in the sign-in page. For example, do you know what you can do with the export button in the document manager? A lot of people don't, and I only discovered this a few months ago. So, how about a thread where we can share our knowledge with what we've learned so far? I'm sure a lot of us here have lots of the things we can share.

5/7/2012 #101
Madam'zelleGiry

So, how about a thread where we can share our knowledge with what we've learned so far?

I approve of this. -nods-

5/7/2012 #102
SilverWingedGentleman

I suggest that we have more character development games going on the forum. I've had a lot of fun with the one game so far!

6/17/2012 #103
Relala

-- Thread tags. Please and thank you?

-- More time for the mods.

-- More Ewie air time.

-- More twirling.

-- A celebration party for my return home.

-- A free hugs thread for all of us having a crappy day.

6/26/2012 #104
The Death Frisbee

Fanfic soundtrack thread. *makes puppy dog eyes*

You know you want to, mods! Thanks if so!

7/5/2012 #105
Wendy Brune

1.) What is thread tags?

2.) Kate, we've been talking about it, so it's sort of in the works! We think we can better combine it with another thread (we like to keep the thread count as low as possible to be welcoming to newbies and for less clutter!) and are still sorting that bit out. Soon!

7/5/2012 #106
Sloan33

Oh, awesome, a soundtrack thread sounds really cool! For what, stories and such?

7/12/2012 #107
The Bitter Kitten

Kate and I were thinking it might be nice to have multiple review tags based on word count, both for 'fairness" (eg reviewing a 10k fic and getting a review on your 50 word poem as opposed to a longer work) and time (sometimes I'd like to play review tag, but I don't have time to / don't want to read a really long chapter and give critique).

7/23/2012 #108
Misplaced Matches
I would like to toss in the idea to have review guidelines or templates for people to review other people based on. This would give a basis for people to respond on. Or a general guide to critiquing well.
7/26/2012 #109
SiriuslyPeeved

I would like to toss in the idea to have review guidelines or templates for people to review other people based on. This would give a basis for people to respond on. Or a general guide to critiquing well.

This is a great idea.... I'd second putting this one together. Sometimes balancing constructive criticism with a civilized, helpful review can be a bit tricky. :)

7/26/2012 #110
The Death Frisbee

Seconding Kitten's multiple review tag bit, obviously, since I was the other half of it. ;)

I'd like to suggest that the review guidelines/templates not be mandatory, but be aspirational. That is to say, "Try to write your review like this, but if you do it slightly differently, that's fine too, so long as it's in the ballpark." One size doesn't fit all, anyway. (Pardon the apparent inability to write this post without cliches.)

7/26/2012 #111
Misplaced Matches

I would certainly say make it an option. Like hey, do it this way if you're looking for some direction or these ideas might be helpful to you. Another purpose guidelines and templates are to help people help the authors. I agree fully with the idea of having it be aspirational. Here's something, to reuse the word, in the ballpark of what a template could include. If we were to have some posted for people to use as opposed to purely formless guidelines, this is what I feel is standard something like this. Please add to/help refine and all that good stuff.

What I liked, liked lines, what I didn't like and why, what I think/feel about the portrayal of the canon characters, what I think about the style, what I think could be better, other.

Roughly.

7/26/2012 #112
Rosawyn

Oh hi everyone with your all your great ideas about Review Tag and reviews in general! :)

Wendy is really busy right now (she posted about it on the Noticeboard), but I'm sure she'll read thought all of this when she gets back (which won't be for a while).

Anyway, as a temp!mod here I would just like to say that the idea of some sort of guidelines or tips for writing better reviews is something we've talked about for a while (well Time and I were talking about it; I'm not sure who else was involved in the discussion). I do think that many people don't leave reviews at all because they're not sure how to leave good reviews (in fact, I've had more than one person tell me just that). We've even joked about holding classes on how to write better reviews. We mock bad reviews over in the "What the Heck?" thread, but I guess we don't do much to actually help people leave good ones other than leaving good ones ourselves (or trying to; I know not all of my reviews are as high-quality as they probably could be). I suppose for myself I like the idea of tips and suggestions rather than templates, because "templates" just sounds too restrictive to me, and sometimes I do just want to go wild and gush about how awesome something was... XD But I think even templates could work if it was framed with "these are just some suggested ideas" or "not every high-quality review is going to look like this" or something like that.

Anyway, that's my contribution to the discussion. :)

7/26/2012 #113
Wendy Brune

Totally not here (at all, and luckily I don't need to be because Rosa is doing a great job!), but I would say that my tentative thoughts are

1.) Yes to tips/guidelines for better review writing. (Less so to templates because it could lead to less thoughtful/meaningful reviews, at times.) Honestly, Rosa, if you want to use your mod!powers to set up a guidelines discussion thread, I'd be so down with it!

2.) No, for now, to having multiple Review Tags because I forsee a lot of complications. It would be confusing to newbies and more likely to break. What if you don't want to decide what kind of story you want a review on? What if one person takes up both places in both games? I think for now, if you don't see anything you're in the mood to review, it might be best to wait until someone else posts, you know? =D If something unfair is going down, though, please let one of the mods know!

7/26/2012 #114
Desktop Warrior

Rosa, go ahead and make the Review Guidelines thread. I'm giving you official permission to do so.

I'll have to say no the multiple Review Tag idea for the same reasons that Wendy's explained. However, I'm not completely disregarding it. The other mods and I will give it some thought, and we'll let everyone know if we have any suggestions of our own that could make it work.

7/27/2012 #115
songstar13

What I liked, liked lines, what I didn't like and why, what I think/feel about the portrayal of the canon characters, what I think about the style, what I think could be better, other.

The only problem I have with giving an actual template is that I feel it'll make people think that all they have to do is fill in the appropriate blanks and hit submit.

7/28/2012 #116
Desktop Warrior

The only problem I have with giving an actual template is that I feel it'll make people think that all they have to do is fill in the appropriate blanks and hit submit.

And that's what I just addressed in the thread: don't stick to a rigid fill-in-the-blanks outline.

7/28/2012 #117
darkaccalia520

I don't have an idea for a new thread. But I have an idea for a thread improvement.

Okay, we've been talking in the 'How to write better reviews' thread about repeat reviews. You know...the ones that say very general things and never really say anything specific about the story. For example, "I didn't see any glaring grammar or punctuation mistakes. Really good chapter. Keep up the wonderful work."

This situation seems to happen in review tag a lot. To clarify, though, it is only a tiny handful of people who write reviews like this. Well, I've been thinking about how to alleviate this problem, and I've been talking with a couple of other members. Anyway, in other review games in other forums (because they have them too), I notice that the person must not only post, "I have read and reviewed Story by John Q Fanfiction Writer," but must also post the actual review in the thread so that the forum moderators can see that the person participating in the game has given a quality review.

Now, I certainly don't want to accuse anyone of cheating or not playing by the rules. In fact, the people who seem to write these very generalized reviews might not even realize they're doing it. But posting the actual review for all to see might help them realize it, and then, others can see what examples of 'quality reviews' are.

Now, I suppose it would be up to the mods to judge what a quality review is and then, they'd have to go through the thread and judge if the reviews are up to par...then give out warnings accordingly. I realize that might make more work in the end.

But if one person posts a review that he or she really put a lot of time and effort into and then receives a review like, "Great job. You really have a good grasp of plot. Keep up the good work."...well, that just seems a little unfair.

I will not be hurt if this idea is thrown out. I understand that having us do this might make it look like we don't trust the review tag players, and I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression. But it seems to me that there is a general consensus among us regular review tag players that sometimes, things seem a little unfair.

8/16/2012 . Edited 8/16/2012 #118
Rosawyn

I see at least one thing wrong with the idea of posting the actual reviews in the Review Tag thread that I personally would find annoying, and that is spoilers in the reviews for fics/chapters that I haven't read yet. I'm not saying it's a terrible idea, but that is the one thing that would bother me personally. I know when I'm writing a review, I expect that it is going to be read only by those who have read that fic/chapter, and primarily by the person who has written it, so I don't hold back from mentioning spoilers for that fic/chapter in my review.

I would hope that the "How to write better reviews" thread would be doing at least something already to help alleviate the issue of very general reviews, because one thing that everyone seems to agree on in that thread is that quality reviews need to be specific.

Anyway, I'm not trying to throw the idea out, and I'll support whatever decision is made. This is just my input on the subject.

8/16/2012 #119
darkaccalia520
I see at least one thing wrong with the idea of posting the actual reviews in the Review Tag thread that I personally would find annoying, and that is spoilers in the reviews for fics/chapters that I haven't read yet.

I guess I haven't thought of this, and I see your point. But not everyone goes to the 'How to write better reviews thread' thread either.

Perhaps we can find a happy medium somehow? I'll have to think on this and see if I can't come up with something more favorable.

8/16/2012 #120
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Wendy Brune GeorgyannWayson, Luna Rapunzel, The Real F'n Scorp, Madam'zelleGiry, ShadedRogue, The Reviews Lounge Too
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member