The Reviews Lounge, Too
A forum for The Reviews Lounge, Too community, which promotes reviewing of all stories and spotlighting talented writers. Don't forget to read the rules and introduce yourself first!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Wendy Brune

This board is for the sole purpose of discussing your favorite characters and fandoms. Can't believe your favorite character was killed off in the final book? Shocked at the big plot twist in your favorite television show last Monday? Talk about it here! Who knows - someone might get you hooked in a new fandom you've never been interested before!

1/20/2010 . Edited by Madam'zelleGiry, 2/15 #1
msllamalover

Potter has been my fandom since I was about seven. Hermione was pretty much my role model growing up, and I'm waiting for my Ron :)

Also completely in love with Star Trek Voyager. Janeway really floats my boat!

(Just thought I'd get this thread started for you! I really came on to thank you for putting my story in your community!)

1/21/2010 #2
Wendy Brune

Harry Potter was my start into fanfiction, too! I actually wrote quite a lot of stories in middle school, but then deleted them all a few years later when I realized how bad they were! I

Now I dabble in HP but am starting to focus in other things. I particularly like Peter Pan (the book), probably because the ending is so...sad! But I've been known to read anything, from Teen Titans to 27 Dresses!

1/21/2010 #3
msllamalover

I'll read anything, as far as fanfiction goes. As long as I know the story and a little about the characters, I'll give it a go! I'm really into Voyager, LotR, Labyrinth and Torchwood especially, but I do just always seem to gravitate back to Harry Potter - I guess it's growing up with the characters mean I just can't get enough :D

I guess we have Potter in common, so: favourite pairings?

1/21/2010 #4
Wendy Brune

Well, pretty much anything that's well-done! I tend to like canon pairings, or at least pairing that could be canon. I'm not a big Draco/Hermione or Draco/Ginny fan. I probably gravitate towards Ron/Hermione, Dean/Luna, and Bill/Fleur.

I DO NOT like Harry/Ginny. Ginny as a character irritates me, at least how J.K. Rowling writes her. However, I've read some could fanon Ginnys.

What about you?

1/21/2010 #5
msllamalover

Anything, really. I've written most of them, so I kind of appreciate them. I love Snape/Lily (mega-angst!), Lily Luna/Teddy and Ron/Hermione :)

I didn't like Ginny for a long time, but there are some pretty great fanon interpretations that I've starting to come across.. I don't know, it can be cute, but Harry/Gin seems difficult to write successfully.

1/21/2010 #6
Wendy Brune

I love Snape/Lily too! I'm not a mega-Snape fan, but I like seeing the tender moments writers give him!

And yeah, it's funny. I don't like Harry/Ginny, but I don't really like Harry/anyone else unless it's a one -sided thing. I irritates me, a little, how most of the characters end up with their sweethearts from school. Life doesn't really work like that.

1/21/2010 #7
Ariana Ethaitrius

Hi. I'm a major Harry Potter fan. I like Bellatrix and Lord Voldemort and Sirius and Hermione. I am a major shipper of Minerva and Albus to. I really like the Weasleys. I'd have to say the Weasleys and the Blacks are my favorite people to read about (I've written a few) and Albus and Minerva are my favorite to write about.

As for other fandoms, I like:

LOTR, the Tamir triad (not well known as yet) - by Lynn Flewelling, the Belgariad by David Eddings (very popular; I have a forum for it) and many other categories.

1/21/2010 #8
RyanKathrynCelia

My first forray into the realms of fanfiction was through a site called Jupiter Station, a very long time ago now. Like seven years or so (I feel so old!). Jupiter Station was a shipper site for Janeway/Paris lovers (I'm also a bit of a Treekie! So nice to meet you!)

When it got to the HP section, when I discovered FF.Net had more than a ST:V section, I would only really read the parodies and comedy fics, I don't really know why... then I started reading more and more ordinary stories. Well, I say ordinary, I used to be a HG/SS shipper, so within reason lol.

But yeah, I've been here for almost seven years now, I think it equates to... I'm such a veteran ^_^

1/22/2010 #9
Ariana Ethaitrius

I'm starting (slowly) to get into Snanger (Hermione and Severus).

1/22/2010 #10
Wendy Brune

Well, I say ordinary, I used to be a HG/SS shipper, so within reason lol.

I think we all go through a period where we like "unordinary" ships, or at least ones we wouldn't read now. Way back when I joined (5 years ago?) I was into Draco/anyone nice. I LURVED Draco/Hermione. Now I can't read those stories without cringing, no matter how well written they are. Maybe I've become a bit of a snob. =)

1/22/2010 #11
Fractaledsymmetry

Jumping in here, I'll more or less go for whatever I think is well written, but I'm usually biased for what is canon. Although, after browsing through Circle of Magic, I've also discovered for the most part that I prefer stories with a nonromantic slant.

(so, as for what I'm in to, far to much to list here, but as I mentioned before, Circle of Magic, and Peter Pan is my big obsession/passion. I haven't really gotten into the HP fandom, though I've read the books.)

1/22/2010 #12
Wendy Brune

I'm the same way about canon. A good fanfic, IMO, can take what we already know and fit their story to it.

I actually like a good romance, and I think most of my fave fics have that slant to it. (Probably because the movies and books I watch/read usually have a romantic slant too!) However, I'm not adverse to a good adventure fic or a dramatic piece that has no romance what so ever.

1/22/2010 #13
RyanKathrynCelia

Jumping in here, I'll more or less go for whatever I think is well written, but I'm usually biased for what is canon. Although, after browsing through Circle of Magic, I've also discovered for the most part that I prefer stories with a nonromantic slant.

I like that too. I mean, I like shipper stories too, but it's refreshing to read stories that are purely plantonic because it seems like that authors tend to assume that all characters should all be paired off with each other.

What is Circle of Magic?

I actually like a good romance, and I think most of my fave fics have that slant to it. (Probably because the movies and books I watch/read usually have a romantic slant too!) However, I'm not adverse to a good adventure fic or a dramatic piece that has no romance what so ever.

I'm like that too, I have a habit of reading them because of that mushy, happpily ever after feeling lol.

1/22/2010 #14
Il'Diko

The problem with other fandoms is: I usually don't know what you are talking about, because:

a.) we don't have it here in Hungary (yet, or we will never have it...)

b) when we get something, it's months after you guys have seen/have read it... so I get spoiled... (Ok, not with movies, but with books, and tv shows...).

So for now I think I will stick with Harry Potter and Twilight. But I can be converted! :)

1/22/2010 #15
Ariana Ethaitrius

I think I'm one for unusual pairings; makes the story more interesting. I recently got into Sirius and Hermione, for example.

1/22/2010 #16
Wendy Brune

we don't have it here in Hungary (yet, or we will never have it...)

I never thought about that; even though ff.net is a global site, not everyone gets everything.

If you don't mind me asking, what tv shows are "big" right now it Hungary?

1/22/2010 #17
EvylinDevilin

I irritates me, a little, how most of the characters end up with their sweethearts from school. Life doesn't really work like that.

I couldn't agree with this more. Actually this really bothered me a lot. I actually believe Rowling wrote this Epilogue so that someone wouldn't decide to pick up the books one day and give the characters another adventure of his/her own creation or another ending to their lives not created by Rowling herself.

I understand this, but I was really disappointed that so many of them as you said ended up with their sweethearts from school. Especially Harry/Ginny. That couple bothers me, but it's probably just because a lot of the time both of those characters are portrayed so Mary/Gary Sue-ish... if you get what I mean.

1/22/2010 #18
EHWIES

My thing: Harry Potter First Order/Marauder type stories. My OTP is definitely Lily/James, but I'm reasonable about it--for example, my beta for my WIP has been AWOL lately, but I chose her because she's a huge Snape fan, James hater, and occasional Snape/Lily shipper because I wanted to make sure that the L/J was realistic. And I have a little bit of a soft spot for James/Marlene McKinnon (First Order victim) after I wrote a fic for it for an HPFC challenge.

I understand this, but I was really disappointed that so many of them as you said ended up with their sweethearts from school. Especially Harry/Ginny. That couple bothers me, but it's probably just because a lot of the time both of those characters are portrayed so Mary/Gary Sue-ish... if you get what I mean.

Agreed. I can't stand H/G; it seems so cliche to me, the perfect little golden couple high school sweethearts. Besides, no girl ends up in a successful marriage to her celebrity crush from when she was eleven. The whole thing seems so unrealistic.

1/22/2010 #19
Wendy Brune

My thing: Harry Potter First Order/Marauder type stories.

I've never tried to write the marauders, and now I'm almost too afraid to. You do get a lot more control, however, with that generation.

I understand this, but I was really disappointed that so many of them as you said ended up with their sweethearts from school

I almost feel like JKR wrote the epilogue in a hurry - she was trying to get it done and wrote something easy instead of thinking things out. Like, I guess I can see Ron/Hermione together forever because that romance took the better part of seven years to finally happen. But Harry/Ginny? Sure - he barely noticed her before 6th year.

1/22/2010 #20
EvylinDevilin

AGREED. For an author who wrote an amazing seven books that was loved by many around the world, she put very minimal effort into that last little bit.

1/22/2010 #21
lyin

I've never tried to write the marauders, and now I'm almost too afraid to. You do get a lot more control, however, with that generation.

probably why i've always been partial. ;D i like the freedom of it~ playing around within the world and canon, but with the First Order characters, and also with the new generation i've been drawn to writing a little bit, i have almost free reign. and it felt less like work than original fiction, though i've been playing around more with that lately ~ with the stage already set, and a sense of character's voices in place, it just felt, and still flows, easier. breath of fresh air.

i've read fanfiction from time to time since I was 15 and finally discovered the Internet ;D i've written it even before i knew what it was, on looseleaf pages in a little white binder continuing/amending stories i liked.

other fandom-wise:

i like Circle of Magic too, though fanfiction-wise, never held my interest for long ~ when I read Tamora Pierce fanfiction it's usually for the Tortall series, and I've found some good ones there over the years.

and I've always been a sucker for anything with vampires. I read Twilight a few months before it was popular, thought it was ok~ and then there was all this hype, and I went- wait, that book? really??

because i have read oh-so-many young adult books. and oh-so-many vampire books. not to mention have seen Roswell, which you should really check out if you haven't seen it, not just 'cause it was a great show but because switch "alien" to "vampire" of the first few episodes, and you have the first book in the Twilight series. for me, Twilight is just... meh, it's all been done (and better, at that).

this is not to say i didn't go to the midnight premiere of New Moon with my friend and totally enjoy it, even if we were occasionally (ok, often) the only ones in the theater laughing. i've only read one or two fics in that, and only because an author i was subscribed to wrote one and i wanted to check it out, and a few one-shots i've found are AWESOME (and sometimes stylistically, far better written than the books.)

i like True Blood. i like Vampire Diaries. if nothing else I'm really glad Twilight brought back a wave of vampirism (though, eeep, also a wave of mostly godawful young adult books ripping it off). haven't really checked out the fandoms much yet, which is not to say I might... but one fandom i read when i was 15, and have in the past few weeks rediscovered hardcore, is BUFFY. The Vampire Slayer ;D

TONS of great, long, often complete fics, many of which capture the characters fantastically. because, by gum, that show had fantastic characters and absolutely wonderful snappy, memorable dialogue. it was *smart*. and really, when i seriously think about, sent much better messages to young women than Twilight. (i've been rewatching it with my younger sister, who'd really forgotten how great it was).

1/22/2010 #22
mackgirl

In the Harry Potter world I love Fred and George. I love writing them, and while we see them through out the books I always feel you really just see that they are loyal to Harry Potter and that they are pranksters so there's tons of things you can explore with them.

Honestly I thought the Twilight books were okay, I made it through them and felt Bella was whiney but I went ahead and started to read New Moon and the wolf pack was what kept me reading. I was delighted that in Breaking Dawn there was that section written in Jacob's point of view, although it was really hard to switch back over to whiney Bella after his section was over. I've been reading in Twilight lately and mostly I've been reading any stories that are about the members of the wolf pack. Sometimes I'll read an Alice/Jasper or a Emmett but it's mostly the wolf pack.

1/22/2010 #23
Wendy Brune

sometimes stylistically, far better written than the books

So true. It's almost funny how that works, the fanfiction being better than the canon.

i like True Blood.

The show or the books?

while we see them through out the books I always feel you really just see that they are loyal to Harry Potter

I agree. They have so much depth in the books. Fred and George are my favorite characters by far. Actaully, I like Fred better, which is weird because there isn't an awful lot of distinction between the two in the books - they're both very similar. Maybe it's the name?

I've been reading in Twilight lately and mostly I've been reading any stories that are about the members of the wolf pack.

That actually sounds really interesting. I've always been afraid to dive in ever since I accidentally started to read a lemon where pretty much every main character was a dominatrix sexually using Bella. *shudders*

1/22/2010 #24
mackgirl

That actually sounds really interesting.

If you like the wolf pack you should check out the story I posted in the doesn't qualify as under reviewed thread. IamKate is working on an entire saga, the first doesn't really have lemons but the others do (although they are not the entire story but added into the story line) They are long reads but well worth it.

I've always been afraid to dive in ever since I accidentally started to read a lemon where pretty much every main character was a dominatrix sexually using Bella. *shudders*

My first foray over there I came across some like that. Then I happened to stumble across the author IamKate and have sense been finding some really good stories about the wolf pack. I'm looking back for them now to see if any were under reviewed or not to add.

1/22/2010 #25
Wendy Brune

If you like the wolf pack you should check out the story I posted in the doesn't qualify as under reviewed thread.

Yeah I saw that, it looks really interesting. I'm going to start on it tomorrow when it's not 1:30 am and I can focus better.

I'm looking back for them now to see if any were under reviewed or not to add.

That would be awesome!

1/22/2010 #26
EvylinDevilin

I was delighted that in Breaking Dawn there was that section written in Jacob's point of view, although it was really hard to switch back over to whiney Bella after his section was over.

I was the same way when reading. The story in Jacob's POV was amazing and then I absolutely hated it when it went back to Bella's POV. For me it's also because I think Jacob is a much more likeable character with his personality, faults, and actions. I find Bella to be a bit more of a dull character.

1/23/2010 #27
Wendy Brune

I the same way when reading. The story in Jacob's POV was amazing and then I absolutely hated it when it went back to Bella's POV. For me it's also because I think Jacob is a much more likeable character with his personality, faults, and actions. I find Bella to be a bit more of a dull character.

I feel the same way.

It's interesting. I really liked Twilight before I got back into fanfiction. However, once I started writing more, I started to notice the lack of characterization in Twilight for the two main characters and Myer's fangirl writing of Edward. I guess Twilight's good if you don't take it for much more than a story. Once you start to delve in and look at it critically though...

1/23/2010 #28
lyin

i like True Blood.

The show or the books?

I've read the books for a few years now, and was super-excited to hear they were going to be made into a TV show, but i think the adaptation has been (mostly) excellent (of course, *loving* the books as I do, I have a few qualms when they change things. but whenever Alexander Skarsgaard comes on camera, those qualms go *poof*). More excited for the new book this May than for the new season, which should answer that ;D but i do really enjoy watching the show.

Twilight just ended too ridiculously happy for me. there was no cost. Bella's human life? big deal, she blew off her human friends anyway and got the baby, which was Rosalie's whole reason for being down on the vampire lot, and Edward's fear that vampires have no soul (which, in Buffy, was the whole deal. become vampire, lose soul, hence the whole broody vampire-with-a-soul. i miss that. otherwise, you just get to be immortal. yay!). Bella wasn't even effected by the bloodlust! i mean, COME on, where is the angst? what was the whole point of delaying for FOUR books when you know from Book1 she's going down the vampire road, and there's no cost to her besides becoming an over-described supermodel and more Sueish than ever before??

1/23/2010 . Edited 1/23/2010 #29
EvylinDevilin

That is actually a perfect description of how Bella is depicted in the books. It made me really mad that she didn't have any difficulties what so ever. Like if she had tried to attack a human, that would have been interesting. And it would have made her character a little more real and 3-dimensional.

1/23/2010 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Wendy Brune EHWIES, MissScorp, Madam'zelleGiry, darkin520, ShadedRogue, The Reviews Lounge Too
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member