The Reviews Lounge, Too
A forum for The Reviews Lounge, Too community, which spotlights the excellent stories in our archives and promotes reviewing all stories without the promise of getting a review in return. Don't forget to read the rules and introduce yourself first!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 .. Last Next »
ShadedRogue

Probably Hamlet. And Iago from Othello. He was just so devious.

1/14/2012 #451
Sloan33
MERTHUR SHALL RULE THIS WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!! And Janto too, but that's a completely different fandom. XD
1/28/2012 #452
xoxcrescentmoonxox

Does anyone here still watch Glee? It's been so disappointing for a while. But tonight! Oh my goodness. So much was so good in tonight's episode. Brittana, Rachel's dads, Tina and Mike. And the timing of Mercedes singing "I Will Always Love You" .... incredible.

2/14/2012 #453
ShadedRogue

Just finished watching it, actually. The timing of "I Will Always Love You" was definitely weird, but beautiful.

And I'm not going to lie, I definitely squee'd at the Kurtofsky.

2/14/2012 #454
Emily Mae

I would like to open the floor for a discussion of the character of George Weasley, specifically his personality, behaviour and mental health post-Deathly Hallows.

Fred and George are two of my favourite characters in HP, but I have a special fondness for George. As sad I was to see Fred die, there was also a massive part of me that thought "at least it wasn't George". Now, however, I'm really struggling to get my headcanon straight about how George would have changed in the aftermath of Fred's death. I know JKR has said that he was never quite the same afterwards [understandable] and that he was "as happy as he could be without Fred". Great. I hate to think of my favourite characters being sad for the rest of their lives! I read a horrible rumour today that JKR said George was never able to produce a Patronus after Fred's death because all his happy memories were with his twin. That /really/ depressed me until I was absolutely unable to find the source of said "quote" and also realized that something that depressing pretty much goes against the entire theme of the series which is "there are things worse than death" "love will carry you through" etc. And since he ends up getting married and having babies and everything, you'd think that those events would certainly be happy enough to allow him to conjure a Patronus.

Which brings me to my next issue: Angelina Johnson. Any theories on how the /hell/ these two supposedly got together? I'm in this weird transitional phase between absolutely DESPISING this ship and really coming to terms with it [and even embracing it, perhaps? *gasp*]. Anyway, I feel like however they ended up together was through some kind of unhealthy connection to Fred's memory. I don't know.

So what do you guys think? Was George more or less himself after Fred died, although missing enough of his past personality that those closest to him noticed? Did he fall into a deep depression that lasted the rest of his life? Did he eventually find solace in his family?

2/18/2012 #455
pixileanin

I don't think that George would have gone off the deep end forever after his brother's death. Death changes people. That is a fact, especially if the death was someone close to you. It doesn't mean that you stop living. He went on with his life, etc. I'm sure he's out there doing just fine and missing his brother, just like everyone else who has lost a brother.

Personally, the George/Angelina thing doesn't bother me. As far as I remember, canon says that she was Fred's date to the ball and by the way he asked her, you wouldn't think she was anything special at the time. Who knows? I certainly don't think that casually attending a dance with Fred would put her off from later hooking up with his brother. That could have feasibly happened anyway, even if Fred had lived. Those are my thoughts, anyway. I'm sure other people have stronger opinions about that.

And I certainly do not believe the rumor about the patronus. That's just silly. If George was in that bad of a state after the war, think of how messed up Harry would be... wait. I read that story once... so depressing.

3/1/2012 #456
Rosawyn

Angelina Johnson. Any theories on how the /hell/ these two supposedly got together? I'm in this weird transitional phase between absolutely DESPISING this ship and really coming to terms with it [and even embracing it, perhaps? *gasp*]. Anyway, I feel like however they ended up together was through some kind of unhealthy connection to Fred's memory.

The only possible explanation I can imagine is that it is *entirely* due to an unhealthy connection to Fred's memory. (JKR has apparently even admitted in interviews that George/Angelina is unhealthy.) I pretty much figure that George believes that he should have died and not Fred, so he tries to *be* Fred. I imagined this is such great detail in my head, I really should have written a sick sad dark depressing fanfic about it... :P

3/1/2012 #457
SiriuslyPeeved

The only possible explanation I can imagine is that it is *entirely* due to an unhealthy connection to Fred's memory. (JKR has apparently even admitted in interviews that George/Angelina is unhealthy.) I pretty much figure that George believes that he should have died and not Fred, so he tries to *be* Fred. I imagined this is such great detail in my head, I really should have written a sick sad dark depressing fanfic about it... :P

Yes! If you don't write it can I have the plot bunny? ;)

Soooo sad. I'm reading a lovely & angst-ridden George & Angelina right now, I don't believe the author crossposts here but I'll have to check.

I agree, poor Angelina. I think she's projecting onto George. Maybe there was enough of a spark between them so that eventually it worked out into a long-lasting companionship, or there is a horrible and painful divorce waiting in canon after Dominique and Fred II came on the scene. (Unfortunately I believe this to be highly likely)

3/2/2012 . Edited 3/2/2012 #458
Rosawyn

Yes! If you don't write it can I have the plot bunny? ;)

Hey, you can go right ahead. I have WAY too many fic ideas that I just never get around to actually writing.

You don't have to use this, but my fav part of my little detailed head!fic was when Angelina starts calling George 'Fred' by accident, and *doesn't even realize she's doing it,* and he *does* notice, but *just answers to it*.

This could be even better if she were to accidentally call him Fred one time when someone else was around to hear, like Ron or Ginny or someone...and they were like all TOTALLY SHOCKED to the point they didn't even SAY anything at first, but maybe they later were like, "OMGWFT? Did she actually call you Fred?" And George is all like, "Um, yeah, she does that sometimes...but it's okay..."

lol I believe I have a VERY sick mind... XD

edit: Also, in my little imagined story, George ultimately ended up in Saint Mungos because he actually believes at that point that he is Fred and that George had been the one to die...but that wouldn't really *have* to happen even if he did start to believe he was Fred and all...because, really, a lot of mentally ill people don't end up in hospitals in reality (even when maybe they probably should...).

3/2/2012 . Edited 3/2/2012 #459
pixileanin

*shakes head at self* I am obviously in the minority here. All I can say is, poor George. If he hasn't already lost it, I'm sure you two will find a way... haha. If you write it, I will read it.

3/2/2012 #460
Emily Mae

Yay, thanks for all the great replies, guys!

Pixileanin, I'm with you. I think George comes out okay, and I think I'm even getting to the point where I can see George and Angelina having a happy, healthy relationship eventually (largely due to this GREAT George/Angelina story by Bellerophone, Never really got over it and a bit of fanart I saw on Tumblr XD). Still, the idea messes with my headcanon. And now it's getting even more addled by the story you recommended in your Fred/George fic - Healing. I don't usually read AU stories, but this one is so good so far and I wanted Fred to survive so badly that I'm going for it.

ETA: Just got done re-watching the JKR Year in the Life documentary and I think I have officially come to terms with George/Angelina. As Rosawyn mentioned, this is the interview where JKR concedes that Angelina is Fred's ex and thus her relationship with George was probably somewhat unhealthy. But she also said that he was as happy as he could be without Fred. That clears that up.

3/2/2012 . Edited 3/3/2012 #461
Shuturgal

Was going to actually just introduce myself to this thread (to which I say - Harry Potter fandom all the way) but I want to jump in on this debate just now because my own views on the matter are beginning to get a little bit out of control myself....

I know exactly what you mean Emily Mae. I actually didn't realise they got together after the Battle until I was researching Angelina for one of my fics. Upon realising that, I was genuinely stumped for a few days as to how on earth that happened. So I started writing a fic about it myself. Also, I'm a major George fan as well. I love Fred, but George was always my favourite. I read a truly depressing thing (which I believe was from the mouth of JK herself) that the twins had never understood the Mirror of Erised because when they stood in front of it they would see themselves. It wasn't until Fred died and George visited the Mirror by himself that he realised why it showed themselves - their heart's desire was merely to be with each other.

In my view, I think Angelina was never really with Fred in the first place or if she was it was merely a teen thing. I mean sure, they went to the Yule Ball together, but as one person pointed out, she wasn't his date at Bill and Fleur's wedding plus nothing was ever really mentioned of it after that. I laid the whole 'Fred and Ange had this major love story forever and evaaar' ghost to rest a while ago. Just because they went to one dance together (and who knows, maybe even had a fling after that) I wouldn't class that as a love to span all, even death. Being a hormonal teenager myself I can attest to that. Plus I never liked them together anyway. But in any case she was a very good friend of the pair of them. So when I come to terms with that I realise that Angelina and George getting together after isn't a hard conclusion to come to after all.

So in my view, I think George did slip into a depression, who wouldn't when their other half had died? It's even closer than that of a relationship with your wife or husband because this person is a replica of yourself in so many ways. Also to me George always seemed the quieter (if you can even say that about the Weasley's) of the two and so it was suddenly him being left alone without the punchline to his joke or other half of his sentence. But I think Angelina was good for him and I think she got him out of the funk he was in. I don't think it was an unhealthy connection, she had been a friend in school and they perhaps bonded over their shared love of Fred, but it wasn't the sole reason. But I agree, after reading JK saying something like what she said above, its hard to understand how he could have been so distraught yet managed to find happiness? I think it was possible, after all he did have his whole life ahead of him when Fred dies at 18 and plenty time to make happy memories. I think you can never move on from that grief, and I hate the term "you've got to move on." because you don't, you can simply remember the good things instead of the bad and so that is what I think George did.

Hope this makes sense, was kind of a rant that went straight from my head to the keyboard with no barrier in between.

3/12/2012 #462
SiriuslyPeeved

Shuturgal, welcome :) and those are really excellent points. So sad about the twins and the mirror of Erised...

3/13/2012 #463
Hope the Ghost Writer

*poofs in randomly* PLEASE TELL ME THAT SOMEONE (ANYONE) HERE LIKES THE SONIC THE HEDGEHOG GAMES.

Bonus points if you're a Shadow fangirl. ;D

3/13/2012 #464
ArtistoftheBlueMoon

I like Sonic the Hedgehog games, and my favorite character in the series is Tails, he's just soooooooo cute I want a plush doll of him!

3/13/2012 #465
SiriuslyPeeved

My kids love Sonic, I think I missed him though. I love how they are getting me into stuff that I missed as a kid / teenager! (I only had an Atari as a kid, so I never even played any Mario games till we got Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii -- which, by the way, I totally suck at ;) )

I've been in the mood for cartoons lately, I blame Simon ;) Any favorite cartoons anyone wishes to share?

Rambling list going from the late 70s to mid 90s: (yes, I watch cartoons regularly on my own even after kids :)

Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato), Wildfire (1986-87, Hanna-Barbera, horses and alternate dimensions), Blackstar (early 80s, Filmation), She-Ra, GI Joe, Transformers, Rainbow Brite, Jem, Snorks, Smurfs, Gummi Bears, Ren & Stimpy, Pinky & the Brain, Animaniacs, Tiny Toon Adventures, Pepper Ann, and more current stuff that I watch with my kids: The Clone Wars, Phineas & Ferb, Spongebob, and Fairly Oddparents :)

3/14/2012 #466
Sloan33

Phineas and Ferb is a guilty pleasure of mine. XD

3/14/2012 #467
Wendy Brune

Let's see...cartoons...

From my youth: Rugrats (biggie), The Angry Beavers, Doug, Hey Arnold!, KaBlam!(weird but I enjoyed it), Tiny Toons, Powerpuff Girls, Totally Spies!

Stuff that I have to watch with the kids I nanny but actually enjoy/feature adult humor: Spongebob SquarePants, Fairly Odd Parents, Phineas and Ferb (love it, oddly!)

3/14/2012 #468
Sloan33

Yeah, I know, right? It's so entertaining for no reason.

3/14/2012 #469
SimonSeville27

Favorite cartoons? I don't think I need to give an answer on this question :D *cough*AlvinandtheChipmunks*cough*

I've been in the mood for cartoons lately, I blame Simon

You're welcome! :P

3/14/2012 #470
Sloan33

Seriously, Simon, I think we all know what your favorite cartoon is by now.

3/14/2012 #471
Wendy Brune

...it's Ren & Stimpy, right? Simon's favorite?

3/14/2012 #472
SiriuslyPeeved

I shall go mad!!

My favorite Ren & Stimpy episodes are Space Madness and the one with the nature show hosts... and the history eraser button..... lol. I really lost interest after they kicked out John Kricfalusi and started making more kid friendly episodes -- then again I was 16 when the show first came on. I am not letting my kids watch Ren and Stimpy for a couple more years yet ;)

Lol..... I love Phineas & Ferb.... The 2nd dimension movie is hilarious, it's on Netflix :)

EDIT: my sparkly pony avatar came through :) Yay Wildfire!

3/15/2012 . Edited 3/15/2012 #473
Sloan33

I don't see your avi, SP.

OR maybe it's just my computer being stupid.

3/15/2012 #474
SiriuslyPeeved

I have yet to figure out how avatars disseminate through the ether that is FFN. It will show up eventually I hope :)

3/15/2012 #475
ShadedRogue

I see your sparkly pony avi, Siri!

I can't remember what cartoons were even on when I was a kid. I used to watch The Racoons, Bonkers, Freakazoid, X-Men, The Tick. Oh, and Dragon Ball Z. I watched Ren and Stimpy when I was a kid too. And Beavis and Butthead, but I could only take so much of that one.

I think my favourites were: Doug, Rocko's Modern Life, Felix the Cat, Reboot!, Hey Arnold.

Man, nostalgia time.

3/16/2012 #476
Hope the Ghost Writer

I like Sonic the Hedgehog games, and my favorite character in the series is Tails, he's just soooooooo cute I want a plush doll of him!

Tails is cute...even if he sounds like a girl. But still. Adorableness! :3 My little sister won a Tails stuffed animal at a carnival a few years back. He now sits prominently on a shelf so we can admire his cuteness. :3

3/18/2012 #477
SiriuslyPeeved

just came in here to squee -- Mad men season 5 starts Sunday Sunday sundaaaay *sings*

Edit: That is tonight tonight TONIGHT

3/19/2012 . Edited 3/25/2012 #478
musicalqueer
Favorite cartoon... Batman The Animated Series. I just love it so much. I love how it doesn't try to talk down to kids, and the fact that it had such an interesting and diverse rogues gallery. (But guess that is applies to everything in the batman franchise) not every villain is the same, they all have different and interesting personalities.
4/23/2012 #479
lilgenious

My favourite character for Harry Potter has always been Hermione. It expanded to a lot- for instance Remus Lupin, Sirius Black (why JK why!?), but I also had a bit of a love/hate relationship with Draco Malfoy and Luna. However at the ending of OOTP, Luna took centre stage in my favourites.

Now for the d'Artagnan romances. Aramis! But then a close second is Athos and d'Artagnan. I love them so much! *gushes*

4/24/2012 #480
« Prev Page 1 .. 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Wendy Brune GeorgyannWayson, Luna Rapunzel, The Real F'n Scorp, Madam'zelleGiry, ShadedRogue, The Reviews Lounge Too
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member