The Reviews Lounge, Too
A forum for The Reviews Lounge, Too community, which promotes reviewing of all stories and spotlighting talented writers. Don't forget to read the rules and introduce yourself first!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Wendy Brune

So, this thread is the brainchild of lyin' - to quote her directly:

maybe a quote thread? i don't mean inspirational quotes (though those'd be fine too) but a spot for someone to go, 'check out this AWESOME line of dialogue/description' from a book, TV show, a fanfiction someone's reading, whatever. it'd be one way to get a glimpse into what everybody's watching/reading and a chance to share our favorite thingamajibs.

Basically, feel free to post here a quote you really like! It can be a funny television quote, an inspirational piece from a book, or just something you think is particularly well-written. Likewise, if you need good inspiration, you can always scroll through the quotes and see what plot bunnies arise.

If you post a quote from a fanfic story, make sure to link it back so we can find it, too!

((As always, remember to follow forum etiquette rules and keep the quotes rated T! Profanity is ok, but if it's anything major make sure it's asterisked out!))

2/18/2010 . Edited 11/27/2013 #1
Wendy Brune

I'll start this off. Here is a quote I recently found in fanfiction that I really enjoy. It's found in Girl with the Yellow Umbrella's story, Privacy -http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5753029/1/Privacy ((Fanfic won't let me use the link button...weird.))

Both Harry and Ron froze on the rickety wooden landing outside Ginny’s bedroom: Harry with the surprised look of a stupefied goldfish, Ron fighting a sudden urge to choke- but Hermione took Ron by the elbow and dragged him up the stairs, still prattling on about her packing.

2/18/2010 . Edited 2/18/2010 #2
Love From A Muggle

I like this idea. I've always loved the very first quote from the book The Great Gatsby.

"Whenever you feel like criticizing anyone, Just remember that all the people in this world, haven't had the advantages that you've had." The Great Gatsby.

I try to remind myself that when I think about judging people.

I also like this quote from Winnie The Pooh!

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think," Christopher Robin to Pooh.

2/18/2010 #3
lyin

I LOVE that Winnie the Pooh quote~ they used it nicely in Pooh's Grand Adventure, so that I think any kid of a certain age seeing it ends up remembering that line ever after ;D

i have an obsession with first sentences of books, and a lot of times, decide whether or not i'm going to read a book based on the first sentence. IMHO, best 1st sentence ever:

"He was born with the gift of laughter and the sense that the world was mad." Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche. (fandom-wise, I can completely see this quote applying to Sirius).

a lot of my favorite lines have been copied/paid homage to a million times over. like Dorothy to the Scarecrow: "I think I'm going to miss you most of all!" (still gets me every time).

and the exchange in Empire between Leia and Han: "I love you!" "I know." (So bada$$. so frustrating, if you're Leia. but what, Han's supposed to say it back in front of Darth Vader? ;D)

i love unexpected, fresh responses to 'I love you' in movies/TV actually (not stupid ones, like 'Ditto', in Ghost ~ I mean really. ;P). like in oh-so-quotable Buffy the Vampire Slayer, when she finally says "I love you," to Spike as he's burning up to save the world, and he gives back, "No, you don't. But thanks for saying it."

can't think of anymore, but i'm sure they're out there :)

2/18/2010 #4
Wendy Brune

I agree about opening lines. They can make or break a story for me, especially on fanfiction. I wish I had better talent in making them, though.

One of my favorite opening lines is:

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.

From Pride and Prejudice. (Don't kill me, but I LOVE this book.) And of course, the monster spin-off isn't bad either:

It's a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains

from Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

XD

2/18/2010 #5
EHWIES

Love the spinoff. XDD

From 1984:

Freedom is the power to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.

And just because I can't leave this one out XD:

For now we see through a glass, darkly, but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

2/18/2010 #6
xabandonedaccountx

I have a quote from a book I'm reading called Dancing With The Devil by Keri Arthur.

And the spider laughed in demonic delight.

2/19/2010 . Edited 2/19/2010 #7
StoryGirl02

Random quote on the neeeeet!

"Forget love, I'd rather fall in chocolate!" :DD

2/21/2010 #8
imlying

"Not that smart. Not that hot. Not that nice. Not that funny. That's me: I'm not that."- Will Grayson, Will Grayson

2/21/2010 #9
Mistical Ninja

"No. So I'd use a rifle at a thousand yards. The bullet outruns its own sonic boom, and you'd never even hear the shot. You'd be dead before you realized what happened."-- Kincaid to Harry Dresden, Blood Rites. Book six of The Dresden Files.

2/22/2010 #10
lyin

i had to look up Will Grayson, Will Grayson ~ now i kinda want to read it. and i've heard of the Dresden Files before, but never picked them up... if i see 'em at the library i may have to check them out ;D

i'm a little bit hooked on this speech from Buffy ~ my love for this series has gone through a total renaissance in the past month, inspired by all the vampire-ness that is out there lately. forgot how darn quotable it is... Beat THIS, Twilight:

"You listen to me. I've been alive a bit longer than you, and dead a lot longer than that. I've seen things you couldn't imagine, and done things I prefer you didn't. I don't exactly have a reputation for being a thinker. I follow my blood, which doesn't exactly rush in the direction of my brain. So I make a lot of mistakes, a lot of wrong bloody calls. A hundred plus years, and there's only one thing I've ever been sure of: you.

Hey, look at me. I'm not asking you for anything. When I say, "I love you," it's not because I want you or because I can't have you. It has nothing to do with me. I love what you are, what you do, how you try. I've seen your kindness and your strength. I've seen the best and the worst of you. And I understand with perfect clarity exactly what you are. You're a hell of a woman. You're the one, Buffy."

~Spike to Buffy, Touched

(pssst: better in delivery: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2_vta4I_7o . Unfortunately they skip maybe the best part, the follow-up ~ Buffy: "I don't want to be the one." Spike: "Well I don't want to be this good-looking and athletic. We all have crosses to bear." )

;D

2/22/2010 #11
EHWIES

Quotes I came across today:

When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on. (Franklin D. Roosevelt)

Talk nonsense in your own way. That's almost better than talking sense in somebody else's. (Fyodor Dostoyevski, as Razumikhin in Crime and Punishment)

2/22/2010 #12
Il'Diko

"You listen to me. I've been alive a bit longer than you, and dead a lot longer than that. I've seen things you couldn't imagine, and done things I prefer you didn't. I don't exactly have a reputation for being a thinker. I follow my blood, which doesn't exactly rush in the direction of my brain. So I make a lot of mistakes, a lot of wrong bloody calls. A hundred plus years, and there's only one thing I've ever been sure of: you.

Hey, look at me. I'm not asking you for anything. When I say, "I love you," it's not because I want you or because I can't have you. It has nothing to do with me. I love what you are, what you do, how you try. I've seen your kindness and your strength. I've seen the best and the worst of you. And I understand with perfect clarity exactly what you are. You're a hell of a woman. You're the one, Buffy."

~Spike to Buffy, Touched

(pssst: better in delivery: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2_vta4I_7o . Unfortunately they skip maybe the best part, the follow-up ~ Buffy: "I don't want to be the one." Spike: "Well I don't want to be this good-looking and athletic. We all have crosses to bear." )

Oh wow, that so beat Twilight. :/ I kind of regret never have seen Buffy...

2/23/2010 #13
lyin

;D glad you agree, Diko!

http://www.iwatchbuffythevampireslayer.com/

has all the episodes, and ye gods are there a lot of them, with many different links. the problem is finding any time to watch them, lol. Angel ~ the original vampire in Buffy's life ~ basically is the prototype of Edward, as well as her big 'loved him more than anything in this life' love... and yet her life goes on her when he leaves for her own good (and for his own spinoff haha) ... instead of blank pages or seasons speeding past her window. *cannot describe how much i hated that part of New Moon.* thanks for taking feminism back a quarter century, Stephenie Meyers.

plus, Twilight doesn't have Spike. (Vampire Diaries, on the other hand, basically does ~ Damon, with his pretty blue eyes and oh-so-snarky personality, is possibly even more ruthless than Spike ever was, even though Damon's been romanticized from Day 1 while Spike was originally intended to be a disposable villain, who was just too, among other things, quotable, to kill off.)

"You're not friends. You'll never be friends. You'll be in love till it kills you both. You'll fight and you'll shag and you'll hate each other till it makes you quiver, but you'll never be friends. Love isn't brains, children, it's blood. Blood screaming inside you to work its will. I may be love's b*tch, but at least I'm man enough to admit it."~ Spike to Buffy & Angel

2/23/2010 . Edited 2/23/2010 #14
StoryGirl02

Buffy is the best vampire thingy ever. The end :)

2/23/2010 #15
lyin

nicely put, Maddie ;D

i also love this quote from Blink, my favorite episode ever of Doctor Who (season 3):

Sally Sparrow: I love old places. They make me sad. Kathy Nightingale: What's so great about sad? Sally Sparrow: It's happy for deep people. (I think I have that Pieces of Flair on Facebook. Sad: happy for deep people. ;D of course, it's referring to a particular type of sad and completely out of the 'old places' context, perhaps slightly less awesome...) 2/25/2010 #16
Jemennuie

"He was born with the gift of laughter and the sense that the world was mad."That quote is awesome.

A quote that I've had stuck in my head recently is from Catch-22: "Man was matter, that was Snowden's secret. Drop him out a window and he'll fall. Set fire to him and he'll burn. Bury him and he'll rot, like other kinds of garbage. The spirit gone, man is garbage."

2/26/2010 #17
lyin

"Man was matter, that was Snowden's secret. Drop him out a window and he'll fall. Set fire to him and he'll burn. Bury him and he'll rot, like other kinds of garbage. The spirit gone, man is garbage."

that quote literally had goosebumps running up my arm when I read Catch-22 ~ because it's so chillingly true. Good one, Jemennuie~ (and hi, I don't think we've 'met' on here yet, *waves*. glad you liked the Scaramouche quote :) do you go by Jem?)

Catch-22 was one of those books I put off reading, because it's become one of those school classics and feeling like you *have* to read it can suck the awesome right out of books~ and then when I did read it, for a great class, I was blown away by how sheer and scathing it was, one of those movie-playing-in-your-head-and-you'll-never-forget-it books. and with a ton of memorable quotes, from just about every character in the book but especially Yossarian, of course. The whole recurring scene with Snowden you quoted is the fuel of nightmares. i also really like this one from Catch-22, especially since it's Yossarian's driving motivation throughout:

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt..."

2/26/2010 #18
Jemennuie

I really like Catch-22, especially the first half or so, where it's very darkly funny. (Last time I read it I couldn't pin-point when it started to get more serious and less funny, so I'm just going to guess and say the half way mark.) I actually had to look up the last half of the quote I posted, since I didn't remember it all, and the sentence "The spirit gone, man is garbage" kind of surprised me because Yossarian isn't spiritual at all. Makes me wonder if there's another layer of depth to his character I missed. Haha, this might end up warranting another re-reading of Catch-22 on my part.

And since this is a quotes topic and all, I'll throw out another quote I've had stuck in my head recently (this one from the movie Memento): "I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there."

(P.S. Nice to "meet" you, too! And, yes, I do go by Jem. Do you go by anything different from lyin'?)

2/26/2010 #19
lyin

(P.S. Nice to "meet" you, too! And, yes, I do go by Jem. Do you go by anything different from lyin'?)

Nah, I'm pretty much the only one sans-nicknames, possibly because two syllables can be a little hard to cut down in (same for me in Real Life, actually; I'm just not nickname girl, as much as I love when fictional characters etc. have them ;P). A lot of ppl drop the apostrophe and just type lyin ~ that works too :)

and since this is the quote thread, part of one of my favorite poems, by W.B. Yeats (my fave poet, and I'm in a seminar on him now), "Brown Penny":

"O love is the crooked thing / There is nobody wise enough/ To find out all that is in it,/ For he would be thinking of love/ Till the stars had run away/ And the shadows eaten the moon."

(I also love the line "I am looped in the loops of her hair" from the same poem. :) )

2/27/2010 #20
Jemennuie

I like the last two lines of that Yeats quote :)

The only Yeats poem I remember reading is "The Second Coming", because the line "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold" is another one of those quotes that is stuck in my head.

2/27/2010 #21
eSJa

I am an avid fan of Stephen King, not really for the "horror" of his stories but the humanity of them. There is one passage in Bag of Bones that...man I don't know just hits me so squarely and rings of such simple truth that I will pick the book up in a store just to read the one passage.

I don't have the book on hand be he goes on to describe the character of Mattie dancing in her backyard during a BBQ to the old Don Henley song "All she wants to do is dance."

It's near the end of the book and the events that follow make it all that more vivid. If I can find it I will add it but next time your in a book store I suggest picking up. XD

3/5/2010 #22
Wendy Brune

Mhh, I'll remember that! I'm usually not a horror-genre fan, but it sounds like a good book if it has such a lovely quote! =)

3/5/2010 #23
eSJa

It's not one of his "horror" books per say, but more of a thriller/drama with some supernatural aspects to it. When he wrote it it was a departure from what he was know for and got a lot of flack for it but over the years more people have realized that it's a well written book with a strong characters and a great story that stands on it own without it being a "Stephen King" novel.

3/6/2010 #24
EHWIES

From David G. Myers's Psychology, Eighth Edition:

Our catch-phrases, hem lengths, ceremonies, foods, traditions, vices, and fads (think Harry Potter) all spread by one person copying another.

;D

3/16/2010 #25
lyin

haha nice. ;D

there was a good line on Greek the other night~ i've heard words along these lines before (actually, i think there was something along these lines said in Sex & the City: the movie, of all places lol) but this put it very nicely and simply and bittersweet-ly enough that i really appreciated it:

"Some love stories are short stories. But they're still love stories."

3/18/2010 #26
Wendy Brune

Speaking of Sex and City, one of my favorite girlpower!quotes comes from the t.v show.

"Maybe our girlfriends are our soulmates and guys are just people to have fun with."

Also, one of my favorite love quotes comes (oddly) from the Simpsons:

"Some time when you least expect it, you'll realize someone loved you; that means someone can love you again." I heard this right around the time that my ex and I broke up, and it made me feel much better.

3/18/2010 #27
imlying

"They say when you meet the love of your life, time stops, and that's true. What they don't tell you is that when it starts again, it moves extra fast to catch up." - Big Fish

"Dad, you're like Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny combined....you're just as charming and just as fake." - Big Fish

"You were a big fish in a small pond, but this here is the ocean and your drownin'." - Big Fish

"The man tells his stories so many times that he becomes the stories. They live on after him. And in that way, he becomes immortal." - Big Fish

3/18/2010 #28
cerseilannisters

"Because she is my sister and therefore one half of me." Mary The Other Boleyn Girl (Movie version)

I have never had a sister but I do imagine that sisters are quit like that. You hate and envy her! Because she can be everything your not and everything you want, but at the same time you love her because she is everything you aren't and everything that you look up to or hope for. She is your natural born rival and your best friend. You relie on her to be there when no one else is yet she can hurt you like no one else can. I love this quote because its so true. Sisters are one half of another.

"The heart dies a slow death, shedding each hope like leaves... Until one day there are none. No hopes. Nothing remains." Sayuri Memoir of a Geisha

This one I keep very close to me, after all heartbreak and pain like these she describes perfectly. And when one finds themselves breaking one also must remember that it was coming.

3/29/2010 #29
Wendy Brune

Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts...

And then she knew...

a name that means something

It came so suddenly that there was no space ebtween knowing and not knowing....

a sturdy name

like two edges of time had slipped together and whatever had been between them was nothing...

a strong name

It drifted up from somewhere deep insider her, like a piece of music broken free. It touched empty places as it rose, brushed against her heart...

a name that's gonna withstand a lot of bad times...

floated up into the light behind her eyes. Then she felt the shape of it on her tongue, the slip and slide of it thorugh her lips...

a lot of hrut.

and the taste of it as she whispered "Americus."

4/4/2010 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Wendy Brune EHWIES, MissScorp, Madam'zelleGiry, darkin520, ShadedRogue, The Reviews Lounge Too
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member