The Reviews Lounge, Too
A forum for The Reviews Lounge, Too community, which spotlights the excellent stories in our archives and promotes reviewing all stories without the promise of getting a review in return. Don't forget to read the rules and introduce yourself first!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »
Rosawyn

A few I found on teh internets when searching for quotes, so they may not be 100% accurate. I love them anyway.

All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers. --Francois Fenelon

Either men will learn to live like brothers, or they will die like beasts. --Max Lerner

We fear violence less than our own feelings. Personal, private, solitary pain is more terrifying than what anyone else can inflict. --Jim Morrison

We are afraid to care too much, for fear that the other person does not care at all. --Eleanor Roosevelt

1/4/2012 #61
i'd sink us to swim
Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes. ~Jim Carrey
1/8/2012 #62
Wendy Brune

JC, that's an amazing quote. So true.

So, in that vein:

I'm not denyin' the women are foolish: God Almighty made 'em to match the men. -George Elliot

1/8/2012 #63
Rosawyn

I'm not denyin' the women are foolish: God Almighty made 'em to match the men. -George Elliot

Which is possibly even funnier when you realize that George Elliot was a woman.

A completely unrelated one...

"Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." - Hebrews 13:2 KJV

1/8/2012 #64
Ragnelle

I like this one by Samuel Becket quite a bit:

"Ever tried? Ever failed? No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."

1/9/2012 #65
Hope the Ghost Writer

Random quote on the neeeeet!

"Forget love, I'd rather fall in chocolate!" :DD

That makes me think of a line in Owl City's song "The Yacht Club":

"She'd rather fall in chocolate than fall in love, especially with me."

Oh, Adam Young, who wouldn't want to fall in love with you? :3

2/24/2012 #66
Hope the Ghost Writer

I love this quote from Phineas and Ferb:

"A hero's a hero, but everyone loves a great villain."

I can't remember what episode it's from, but it's so true! :D

2/24/2012 #67
McJunker

"For every hundred soldiers you send us, 10 shouldn't even be here. 80 are just spear carriers- they'll do their job and nothing else. 9 are real fighters- they the battle will make, and we are glad to have them. But the one... the one is a warrior, and he will bring the rest home."

-Heroditus

2/25/2012 #68
Rosawyn

McJunker, that quote reminded me of some of my fav Crüxshadows song lyrics:

I believe in what I fight for

And I have paid for it with pain

I am here because my contributions

May help turn this fate away

And all who stood by and did nothing

Who are they to criticize?

The sacrifices of others

Our blood has bought their lives

from their song "Eye of the Storm"

And in this moment..I will not run

It is my place to stand

We few shall carry hope

Within our bloodied hands

from their song "Winterborn"

Nearly every song the Crüxshadows have ever sung has awesome lyrics, but these were the ones I thought of after reading the quote you posted.

2/25/2012 . Edited 2/25/2012 #69
Hope the Ghost Writer

Although I've gotten virtually nowhere in The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (I'm reading it for school), I have found the preface to be extremely captivating and well-written, primarily this line:

Those who find ugly meanings in beautiful things are corrupt without charming. This is a fault. Those who find beautiful meanings in beautiful things are the cultivated. For these, there is hope.

And I favored this line as well:

There is no such thing as a moral or immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all.

I have a feeling that I'm going to end up writing fanfiction about this book when I'm finished with it. :3

2/25/2012 #70
SimonSeville27

How can I not post some of the most inspirational music lyrics there are? Sung by Chris Classic and um... well... another musical group... okay so it's Alvin and the Chipmunks... don't judge me. (The song is 'Acceptance' by the way)

Uh huh, yeah.

As I woke up this mornin' and looked in the mirror,(Hey!)

The message that I saw couldn't get any clearer. (No oh oh.)

The one conclusion of what defines me (Oh!)

Is everything I am is a great thing to be.

C-H-I-P-M-U-N-K

What's in a name?

Well, it's all we are,

Who we'll be,

You see, it's everything.

We got the rhythm,

Got the music in us.

It never really mattered what breed we are.

We're little, we're brown, we're different,

So here's a little ditty 'bout acceptance.

Whoever you are,

Wherever you live,

Whatever you look like,

Whatever it is.

The person you see

Is just asking

All of the good stuff

Ain't out, it's in. (Uh.)

You know I heard that people who judge you don't matter,

And so I feel like those who love you won't chatter.

As long as I know you take me for me,

'Cause everything I am is a great thing to be.

I ain't never seen

Anyone who looks a thing like me,

But still, I'm never shy,

Because I know it's all about what's up inside.

We got the rhythm, got the music in us.

It never really mattered what breed we are.

We're little, we're brown, we're different,

So here's a little ditty 'bout acceptance.

Whoever you are,

Wherever you live,

Whatever you look like,

Whatever it is.

The person you see

Is just asking

All of the good stuff

Ain't out, it's in.

This is the moment of truth.

I give it all I've got with no additional proof (yeah.)

I put my cards on the table and deal,

In other words, I only worry 'bout what's real.

'Cause people say this, (this!)

And people say that, (that!)

But I've been being Chris

Ever since way back. (Ah ahhh ahhh ahhhhhh!)

Maybe if you focus,

You can get like me,

'Cause everything you are

Is a great thing to be.

Whoever you are,

Wherever you live,

Whatever you look like,

Whatever it is.

The person you see

Is just asking

All of the good stuff

Ain't out, it's in.

Whoever you are,

(whoever you are)

Wherever you live,

Whatever you look like,

Whatever it is.

(it doesn't matter)

The person you see

Is just asking

All of the good stuff

Ain't out, it's in.

2/25/2012 #71
Rosawyn

Just thought I'd share a bit of further evidence that Crüxshadows lyrics are freaking awesome:

And I will write her name and cast it to the sky

Silhouettes recede into a mother's tearful eyes

A host of angels clamor to her side

A light dissolves to kiss the wind,

Release the dragonfly.

I mean...WOW; that is the kind of poetry I want to write. Edit: And, um, yeah...that's from their song "Dragonfly." (Forgot to say that. :P)

2/25/2012 . Edited 2/25/2012 #72
darkaccalia520

Oh, I have a ton that I love, but these are some of my favorites that I thought I'd share:

"You should never let anyone change who you are because the only commodity you really have is your individuality."~Christina Ricci

"What anyone thinks of me is really NONE of my business for NO ONE knows me as I know myself."~James Van Praagh

"Obviously, a writer cannot know everything about what she writes. It's impossible."~Anne Rice

"When my enemies stop hissing, I shall know I'm slipping."~Maria Callas

"FACEBOOK VIRUS WARNING: Friends, there's a contagious virus being spread on Facebook, Twitter, though emails, and even conversations on the telephone or in person. The virus has been viral on planet earth for thousands of years. It's called fear, and if it is sent to you as an attachment, the best thing you can do is to...not open to it, and don't get attached to it. Don't agree, disagree, or resist it in any way. Send love and compassion to the people, software, and systems infected. And if you are already infected, please stop spreading it to others, no matter how valid your intentions are. Spread the antidotes instead: safety, hope, light, levity, forgiveness, and love. Fear can only thrive and spread in darkness. It cannot continue to exist when it is exposed to the light. So, lighten up, let in the light, and let fear be gone!"~Kathleen Kurtzweil

"Whatever you give a woman, she will make greater. If you give her sperm, she'll give you a baby. If you give her a house, she'll give you a home. If you give her groceries, she'll give you a meal. If you give her a smile, she'll give you her heart. She multiplies and enlarges what is given to her. So, if you give her any crap, be ready to receive a ton of sh*&."~Kathleen Kurtzweil

3/7/2012 #73
Runsoirse

I suppose we're allowed to say that we think some of our own stuff is particularly well written. So, here are a couple of quotes from my own stories:

"All people receive much that they don't deserve...You were not allowed to choose whether or not to accept the bad you did not deserve—why do you fight so hard to reject the good?"

from my X-Men story, "Born For Adversity" (I am so insanely proud of that line!!!)

Jon's eyes widened, finally looking at Sam's face. "I-I thought—" Jon looked thoroughly lost. "I thought you liked girls!" he blurted out, his cheeks reddening.

"I do like girls," Sam replied. "But I—" He looked down, feeling heat rising to his own cheeks. "But I also like you."

8D I am *also* insanely proud of that exchange, which is from my Game of Thrones story, "Reasons to Stay"

3/7/2012 . Edited 3/7/2012 #74
Rosawyn

"The truth is usually just an excuse for lack of imagination." -Garak in Star Trek: Deep Space 9

3/7/2012 #75
Hope the Ghost Writer

"Seaworld is better. It has Shamu, who is literally tons of fun." ~Big Bang Theory

Oh, Sheldon. More reasons to love you. :3

3/8/2012 #76
Madam'zelleGiry

"In this world, nothing is sure but death and taxes." - Ben Franklin

3/9/2012 #77
Hope the Ghost Writer

"In this world, nothing is sure but death and taxes." - Ben Franklin

True that. *nods in agreement*

3/9/2012 #78
Hope the Ghost Writer

"Looking for peace is like looking for a turtle with a mustache: you won't be able to find it. But when your heart is ready, peace will come looking for you."

~Ajahn Chah

3/9/2012 #79
SiriuslyPeeved

If you're in outer space / Don't feel out of place / 'cause there are thousands of others like you!

- The B-52s, "There's A Moon In The Sky (Called The Moon)"

...That song makes me think of the RLT :)

3/13/2012 #80
Sloan33

"And here you are, acting like a bumbling, bubbly, band of baboons!"

- McGonagall XD

Ooh, another one:

"If you sing one time or touch my leg on any part of the ride I'll throw myself out of the moving car." (Kensi)

(after Kensi leaves)

Deeks: Works every time."

3/29/2012 #81
Sloan33

(another random one, sorry to double post)

A writer starts the story, and a reader finishes it.

3/29/2012 #82
truthsetfree

I never even watched an episode of Smallville, but I have a friend who is/was? (is it still on?) a fan. They drew my attention to the following exchange between characters:

"Lex: 'This Naman guy is supposed to come from the stars, have the power of ten men, and shoot fire from his eyes, right?'

Clark: 'It's just an allegory, Lex.'

Lex: 'I know. But if one person could do all that, he'd be a formidable enemy. He could conquer the world. He could become a tyrant if no one kept him in check. So I've been thinking...anybody who'd be willing to fight him would have to be pretty brave. Clark, did it ever occur to you that the hero of the story...is Ziget?'"

I love it. It's just such a different way of looking at the characters/story.

3/29/2012 . Edited 4/1/2012 #83
Rosawyn

A writer starts the story, and a reader finishes it.

Probably not what was originally intended, but when I saw this quote, I immediately thought of fanfiction. XD

Here's a few Dr Seuss quotes that I'm pretty sure I haven't shared here before:

'No one can sing who has smog in his throat'

You'll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut.

I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!

Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.

You'll play lonely games too. Games you can't win 'cause you'll play against you.

It's high time you were shown that you really don't know all there is to be known

:)

3/29/2012 #84
Sloan33

I can keep up this game. XD

"No one can ever feel that much at once! They'd explode!"

"Just because you have the emotional range of a teaspoon, Ronald, doesn't mean everyone does."

- Hermione and Ron, Chamber of Secrets.

This is what my friends say to me. Daily.

3/29/2012 #85
Madam'zelleGiry

The price of war can be computer in figures; th eprice of peace calls for another accountant. - Agnes Repplier

3/30/2012 #86
lilgenious

I have a lot of favourite book quotes that I would love to share:

"Nothing feeds forgetfulness better than war, Daniel. We all keep quiet and they try to convince us that what we've seen, what we've done, what we've learned about ourselves and others, is an illusion, a passing nightmare. Wars have no memory, and nobody has the courage to understand them until there are no voices left to tell what happened, until the moment comes when we no longer recognize them and they return, with another face and another name, to devour what they left behind." The Shadow of the Wind. Written by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

"There are no chances in life, except to feel remorse." Julian Carax in The Shadow of the Wind written by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. This quote actually has inspired one of my new fics that will be coming soon.

"You're young." said Athos. "Your bitter memories still have time to turn into sweet ones." Athos response to d'Artagnan's in the conclusion of The Three Musketeers: "I'll have no more friends," said d'Artagnan. "I'll have nothing but bitter memories..."

4/1/2012 #87
truthsetfree

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-Robert A. Heinlein

"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." - Dalai Lama XIV

I don't think I've ever read any of Heinlein's works and I know I haven't read any of the Dalai Lama's, but I've always really loved those two quotes.

I don't remember where I first heard the Heinlein quote, but both of those quotes just resonated when I first heard them.

4/2/2012 #88
lilgenious

-And these four men were united, you say?-

-As if these four men had been but one, as if their four hearts had pulsated in one breast. So what have they not accomplished, those four!-

Conversation between M. de Rochefort and Cardinal Mazarin about d'Artagnan and his three friends Athos, Porthos, and Aramis. Being posted here because I love the quote and it speaks true to friendship!

~Twenty Years After: Alexandre Dumas~

4/16/2012 #89
Sloan33

Monsters are real, and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes, they win - Stephan King

4/17/2012 #90
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Wendy Brune GeorgyannWayson, Luna Rapunzel, The Real F'n Scorp, Madam'zelleGiry, ShadedRogue, The Reviews Lounge Too
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member