The Reviews Lounge, Too
A forum for The Reviews Lounge, Too community, which spotlights the excellent stories in our archives and promotes reviewing all stories without the promise of getting a review in return. Don't forget to read the rules and introduce yourself first!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 .. Last Next »
Megalink1126

To answer megalink's question its a magical girl fanfic the girl fought a monster and her partner helped her defeat it... Oh yeah and before that the same guest person was like: "I lick this story I thinck" XD they licked my story ;p

You can call me Mega, haha. And maybe she thought that your heroine defeated the monster too easily or something? Or maybe they just don't like her as a character. I've gotten reviews before about bodily harm coming to one of my characters because they didn't like him.

And that second review is a great typo, haha.

7/29/2012 #361
MissSonicX

Ha ok Mega! You can call me Mina :) and your probably right but I would have liked an explanation, I mean death is so...extreme...they never reviewed again so oh well...guess they didn't like the lack of death :p

7/29/2012 #362
Megalink1126

Ha ok Mega! You can call me Mina :) and your probably right but I would have liked an explanation, I mean death is so...extreme...they never reviewed again so oh well...guess they didn't like the lack of death :p

You ask for an explanation? That's quite an expectation you have there, huh?

/shot.

But yeah, people can be weird like that.

7/29/2012 #363
MissSonicX

I dunno :P it's just that when I review I chatter away...and when I don't like a character I'm usually like "ewww they are such a butt 'cause-blah blah blah blah blah..." mabye that's just me -_-

7/29/2012 #364
Rosawyn

"she should have died" who? What? Why? Ugh... *stares at iPod screen in dismay* I just don't get it :(

Wow. Yeah. What an unhelpful review. :/ Could have at least explained WHO they thought should have died, though even then...that's not much of a review!

I'd kind of like to know if they liked it or not, haha.

Yeah. And maybe also, why they liked it?

I've read over it and I don't really have anything to add. XD

Fair enough.

"I lick this story I thinck" XD they licked my story ;p

*mental image of someone licking their laptop screen with a fanfic open on it*

/dying of laughter

I would have liked an explanation, I mean death is so...extreme...

Yes, explanations are good. Very good.

when I review I chatter away...and when I don't like a character I'm usually like "ewww they are such a butt 'cause-blah blah blah blah blah..." mabye that's just me -_-

No, it sounds to me like you're doing it right.

7/29/2012 #365
MissSonicX
Thanks Rosa :3 (I'm on my iPod so it won't let me do that grey quotey thing)
7/30/2012 #366
truthsetfree

*mental image of someone licking their laptop screen with a fanfic open on it*

Depends on the story and the reader, I'd say. Might actually be accurate.

7/30/2012 #367
MissSonicX
Hahahahahahaha!!! That's funny :p and a little gross XO hope it was there own personal laptop they licked -.-
7/30/2012 #368
Appletree5

So glad I found this forum because I got two reviews today that have left me feeling a bit 'huh?'. They're unsigned reviews so I can't reply to them and I never answer reviews in my stories (I have two different accounts at ffnet) because that's not what stories are for in my opinion.

They clearly haven't read the whole story, or maybe they've done that 'skim through the chapters to find the good bits' thing I'm sometimes guilty of but either way they've missed the point so much and I really, really want to put them right on it. But I can't. And I'm annoyed because I could write chapter and verse about how and where they've misinterpreted the story.

Anyway, I feel better now I've got it out of my system. Thank you.

8/1/2012 #369
StormyMonday
I never answer reviews in my stories (I have two different accounts at ffnet) because that's not what stories are for in my opinion.

I can understand that an author may not have time to reply to every review, especially the one liners,and/or if they post in the heavily trafficked fandoms, but I find it incredibly discourteous to ignore the reviewers completely. Not only am I a writer, but I also review quite a bit, and I like to know that my feedback is appreciated. I have a feeling this is true for the majority of the members here on the site. Obviously it's your choice though.

They clearly haven't read the whole story, or maybe they've done that 'skim through the chapters to find the good bits' thing I'm sometimes guilty of but either way they've missed the point so much and I really, really want to put them right on it. But I can't. And I'm annoyed because I could write chapter and verse about how and where they've misinterpreted the story.

I'm assuming you're referring to the new moderated anon reviews. Except that I'm a little confused. This would indicate you'd like to respond to these reviews, but you already said you never do, so what's the point of being annoyed? Even if they were signed you wouldn't bother, right?

/Stormy highly values every one of her readers

8/1/2012 #370
Appletree5

Sorry - that was a bit ambiguous. I meant I never reply to reviews within the text of my stories. I will always answer reviews via the PM system and this is where I feel let down with the two reviews I recieved today. I can't reply to them because the PM option is unavailable to me for whatever reason, I presume it's because they haven't signed in?

8/1/2012 #371
StormyMonday
Sorry - that was a bit ambiguous. I meant I never reply to reviews within the text of my stories. I will always answer reviews via the PM system and this is where I feel let down with the two reviews I recieved today. I can't reply to them because the PM option is unavailable to me for whatever reason, I presume it's because they haven't signed in?

In that case I apologize for misinterpreting and being snippy. :)

I'm not sure anymore. I see some anon reviews have a name of some kind, and others just say 'Guest.' I have no idea if you review as a guest, if you get the option to type in your name or not. That's the way it used to be I think, but now... Either way, I don't like this new guest review option either, because I find it frustrating that I can't answer questons or even say thank you.

Also, you should pop into the intro thread if you haven't already, and then Randomness. We'd love to get to know you! :D

8/1/2012 #372
darkaccalia520
I'm not sure anymore. I see some anon reviews have a name of some kind, and others just say 'Guest.' I have no idea if you review as a guest, if you get the option to type in your name or not. That's the way it used to be I think, but now... Either way, I don't like this new guest review option either, because I find it frustrating that I can't answer questons or even say thank you.

You can type a name into that form as an anonymous reviewer. Still, it's assumed these reviewers don't have accounts. Just thought I'd clear that up.

Apple, because I can't reply to anonymous reviews as I would from people who sign them, I always give a general thank you in an A/N on the next chapter for the anonymous review (s). However, in this case where the reviews left you hurt/confused...well, I guess there is not much you can do. You could write an A/N of explanation on your next chapter, but that's about it.

8/3/2012 #373
StormyMonday
You can type a name into that form as an anonymous reviewer. Still, it's assumed these reviewers don't have accounts. Just thought I'd clear that up.

The one time I accidentally reviewed as a guest, I was never asked if I wanted to include a name other than Guest. Before the new system (as you know) the site gave you the option of either signing in, or just typing a name into the box. It didn't just automatically sign Guest in the from field. So then...if I were signed out I'm assuming I'd be able to modify Guest into whatever I want? Not that I'd leave an unsigned review on purpose.

8/3/2012 #374
darkaccalia520
The one time I accidentally reviewed as a guest, I was never asked if I wanted to include a name other than Guest. Before the new system (as you know) the site gave you the option of either signing in, or just typing a name into the box. It didn't just automatically sign Guest in the from field. So then...if I were signed out I'm assuming I'd be able to modify Guest into whatever I want? Not that I'd leave an unsigned review on purpose.

I don't know how people do it because I have unknowingly reviewed as 'guest' as well. But, for example, I have a following of anonymous reviewers that I have always known by names, such as kal, and sQAddict. Even after this new system has been in place, they continue to use the same names on their anonymous reviews, so there must be a way. And they don't have FFN accounts.

8/3/2012 #375
StormyMonday

I guess the only way to find out is log out and review something...which I don't like the thought of doing.

8/3/2012 #376
Lilly Valens

I think the box let's you type the name once again; it didn't initially when they changed the review box, but I think it's been fixed now.

8/3/2012 #377
Rosawyn
I don't know how people do it because I have unknowingly reviewed as 'guest' as well. But, for example, I have a following of anonymous reviewers that I have always known by names, such as kal, and sQAddict. Even after this new system has been in place, they continue to use the same names on their anonymous reviews, so there must be a way. And they don't have FFN accounts.

I've gotten reviews from people who are not logged in who had names other than "guest" as well. I got one from one of my brothers who doesn't have an account here (none of my brothers have an account here), and he typed his first name in somehow and also told me on facebook that it was him who'd left the review.

8/3/2012 #378
songstar13

On the subject of leaving names on anonymous reviews: If it's anything like it used to be, you have the option of giving yourself a name other than guest; there was a box that allowed you to put in the desired name to the leave the review under, and if you left it blank, you just appeared as Guest.

On to my weird reviews! I had someone review two chapters of WIP, Behind the Scenes, last night.

Review one:

Hated it! :(

Review two:

Hated it! :(( try harder no offence!

What makes these reviews weird is that the same author favorited and followed the story and myself as an author.

8/3/2012 #379
Lazerwolf314

"This is BORING! Write some real stories will ya? BTW, do you think that it is funny to flame stories like you did to me? Don't bother to remove this review because it is saved on my computer and will re-post it. Karma will get you, ScottSilverado2005."

Feel free to visit this guys profile to read my so called flame review. This was also posted as a guest along with another one.

"Hey it is me again, your writing to still terriblle. I will not leave you alone until you leave a nice review for one of my stories. I MEAN IT!"

trolololol... Almost amusing.

8/7/2012 . Edited 8/7/2012 #380
Ventisquear

Um... you mean this one, yes? At least I didn't find any other. Story: Dragon Riders Of Mobius , review 10/9/11

You do realize that this could almost qualify as plagerism of Eragon? Which is illegal. So you know.
You writing, is still terrible. There was some obvious grammar screwing, but mostly, it was short. Too friggin short. Again. Even combining the two chapters (which would make so much more sense seeing as there is nothing of interest or hook in both.) would barely put this on the fringe of a prologue.
You need to learn how to write more in one, because this just isn't attractive.
Lazer

Sorry, but yes, your review it is very close to flame. You don't offend the author personally, true. But you accused him of 'plagerism', you tell him his writing is terrible, and unattractive, all of it in rather harsh and patronizing tone. You don't point out anything positive, and you don't offer anything constructive.

And, your main objection is the length of chapters? There's nothing wrong in writing short stories and chapters. Some people, me included, find drabbles very attractive, and enjoy reading them. If you didn't like how it was written, then that is what you should have mention, not the length.

The reaction of the author was trollish and childish, yes. But honestly, what reaction did you expect, when you wrote that review?

(Edited to add the title of the story).

8/8/2012 . Edited 8/8/2012 #381
darkaccalia520

Lazer, you seem like a nice person, from what I know; you've always given me nice reviews. However, the review that you left this person was very...rude. As Ventisquear pointed out, there is nothing wrong with short chapters/stories. Just because you don't like them doesn't make them wrong.

Yes, the other person is simply lashing out at you for revenge. But instead of telling someone his or her writing is terrible, why not offer a little help? Why not say something like, "I noticed some errors or some areas where your story needs work. If you'd like some help, PM me and I could give you some of my opinions." This is what I do when I find a story that really needs work. I realize we're all busy, so maybe betaing or helping isn't up your alley. But if you took the time to review, took the time to care enough to say what you said, I think you should take the time to help a little bit. Who knows? Maybe you'll even make a new friend with this person? Besides, it's certainly a lot better than constantly having to delete awful reviews like that. It's something to consider.

Or you could just give him or her a compliment. That would get him or her off your back. Is there really nothing good you can say?

8/8/2012 #382
songstar13

I agree with darkin and Ventisquear. There are some authors on this site that can't take criticism; if there is a single negative comment in the entirety of the review, they flip out and accuse the reviewer of having flamed, but this is not such a case. To be blunt, your review WAS a flame, Lazer. As mentioned by others before me, the review consisted of nothing but criticism and put-downs. It's not even necessary to include a compliment in your review to change it from a flame, if you'd just worded it differently, you could have pointed out all the same things in a much less abrasive manner. But if you really disliked the story that much, sometimes it's better to say nothing at all, yeah?

8/8/2012 . Edited 8/8/2012 #383
StormyMonday
I agree with darkin and Ventisquear

As do I. And I'd just like to say that I fully understand how tempting it is to completely shred a story that, after reading it, makes you want to pull your hair out. I've been there many times. But in these cases I force myself to not say anything, because it wouldn't be beneficial to anyone. Don't forget, our goal as responsible reviewers is to help others improve their writing, not tear them down and leave them there. Of course, helping them often times does mean harshly criticizing their stories, but it is also important that we don't insult them in the process.

Honestly, telling the person he's a terrible writer was just like putting a bull's eye on your forehead. You pretty much were begging for a negative reaction, and I don't blame him for giving you one. Sure, he didn't exactly take the high road himself, but you didn't have to invite his ire either. In the future, if your first and last thought after reading a fic is "This is just awful" then it's best to leave it be and move on. Otherwise, try to point out the things you did like, as well as focus on how they can improve the story.

8/8/2012 #384
Lazerwolf314

I apologize.

My deffinition of a flame, as you say, is completely different.

And much, much harsher.

Also, I've never been very good at holding my tongue.

You all bring up valid points. Thank you.

8/8/2012 . Edited 8/8/2012 #385
StormyMonday
I apologize.

I don't know why you're apologizing to us. We're not the ones that are mad. :P

My deffinition of a flame, as you say, is completely different.

Just out of curiosity, what do you consider a flame then? No venom intended. I am genuinely curious.

Also, I've never been very good at holding my tongue.

It's tough. Trust me I know. Just within the last week or so I noticed a story that had been neglected for several days with zero reviews. I read the first chapter and couldn't stop cringing at how much of a train wreck it was, so I decided to go elsewhere. Then a few days later I saw the author had updated, and was begging for reviews, so...I told him the story so far was a total mess. But I also managed to pick out a couple of good things which, by the way was insanely difficult. Never got a response, but I felt that he needed to know.

8/8/2012 #386
PlainSimpleGarak

On short fics: While the fic you reviewed may just be an inexperienced writer, there are several amazing fics that are written completely in drabbles. The very best example I have of this is: Call For the Doctor

Point being short =/= badly written.

Another thing I noticed on the fic you reviewed is that I cannot see the author begging for reviews. In general if an author does not beg for reviews I strive to keep my comments more positive than negative, and if I cannot say anything positive I skip the review. Why? Attention seekers deserve to know the bitter truth. But If they're not begging you to review in a jerkish way think of it from their point of view: they want help. They want a conversation with a reader to find out what to do better and what they did right. They're trying. While I'm not big on sugar, spice and everything nice, telling someone they are a terrible writer is akin to telling them to stop writing. So while I don't condone the backlash he gave you, I would agree that you did not phrase your review well.

I don't know what your experience on FFnet is, but over five years I have found that posting stories here is pretty thankless. Flames and semi-flames just increase the bad attitude of the userbase. In TMNT there's a few amazing off site forums where I valued the conversations and feedback from the members there far more than most of what I got on FFnet. Most fandoms do not have this (hence why many of us probably post here.) If you want someone to get better, be conscious of phrasing it in a way that says 'get better' and not 'piss off' If you mean piss off because they are stealing someone's work, or violating the site's rules use the report function. And if it's so bad that it really isn't worth your time, my advice is: it's not worth the time to review. Just close the window. It saves heartache all around.

8/8/2012 #387
sangkar

This is a review I saw on someone else's story, not mine:

Haha i dont really know whats fgoin on in this stoiry. i think its Quite funny. But Maybe you could put one word infront oj it????? Thnks

lol

wut

oj

I'm assuming they meant 'of'. The 'j' key is nowhere near the 'f' key. O.o

Anyway. That was certainly hilarious. xD

8/9/2012 #388
Mottsnave

Ha! Random capitalization is Random.

Thnks. thnks aloj.

8/9/2012 #389
sangkar
Ha! Random capitalization is Random.

Thnks. thnks aloj.

xD xD xD

That review was really priceless. :")

8/10/2012 #390
« Prev Page 1 .. 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Wendy Brune GeorgyannWayson, Luna Rapunzel, The Real F'n Scorp, Madam'zelleGiry, ShadedRogue, The Reviews Lounge Too
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member