The Reviews Lounge, Too
A forum for The Reviews Lounge, Too community, which promotes reviewing of all stories and spotlighting talented writers. Don't forget to read the rules and introduce yourself first!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 .. Last Next »
StormyMonday

I agree with this. I think my views on characterization might seem very stringent to people, but in reality I'm very forgiving. Lately I have read quite a few humor fics (mainly drabbles) where the plot scenario was very bizarre - technically the characters were out of character, but on the other hand weren't. Still, I never felt the need to point out the borderline OOCness to the author because they made it work so well. For me, my main pet peeves when it comes to out of character stories, are when the authors obliterate canon personalities - for instance, writing canonically masculine male characters as if they were giggly, overly emotional teen aged girls. Or the opposite, writing canonically feminine characters as being very masculine.

Just to give an example, years ago I started reading a fic in my primary fandom that started out with the male character lying on his bed propped on his elbows, kicking his feet and angsting over if the object of his affections was going to call him. Now, granted said character was portrayed as slightly, and I mean slightly feminine but not in a way that would warrant warping his character to this extent. I mean literally, like doing the hair flip and twirl even.

5/23/2012 #211
The Death Frisbee

I've never done a military training camp scenario before in all of my years as an RPer or as a fictional story writer, this being my first fan fic attempt and all. I have a general, really vague idea of what I want to do but any advice and help along the lines of a futuristic sci fi version of a boot camp set in a space station, (Mass Effect's Arcturus Station before it is destroyed by Reapers, or so I read in the wiki by accident while researching good areas to do said scenario,) would be greatly appreciated.

I agree with the suggestion of Full Metal Jacket and would like to add its inspiration. Gustav Hasford's The Short-Timers (and its even better sequel, The Phantom Blooper), written from Private Joker's POV, but going into a good amount of detail about Vietnam-era boot camps (and wartime Vietnam itself, obviously), and how Marine boot camps simultaneously break down and yet build up an individual. The cool thing is that the novellas are online and free: Hasford's estate had trouble with his publishers or something; I don't know the whole story, but it's legit: Check out gustavhasford dot com.

Also, reading some Lois McMaster Bujold (Miles Vorkosigan) wouldn't do you wrong, either.

5/26/2012 . Edited 5/26/2012 #212
The Death Frisbee

I actually have a question!

How do you handle situations where your story spins off in a different direction than the show?

I burned out on fanfiction the first time when Lost went in a very different direction than my stories did (I like mysteries. Lost used to, but then didn't. I hated the ship wars, and I couldn't stand Jack-as-mythic-hero. Hell, I couldn't stand Jack generally, but especially in the last season. And I hated the finale.)

With two of the fandoms I might write for (The Prisoner and Nowhere Man), this is inconsequential, as the series have both been over for decades. In the fandom I've written for, however, this is kind of crucial, as the last episode of Sherlock ended on a cliffhanger. If I do something other than just gap-filling one-shots, I'll have to address that cliffhanger. I just remember how defeated I felt when Lost went off the rails and, while I don't think Sherlock will necessarily do that (and can predict the ACD story they'll probably start with), it is somewhat of a block for me to do stuff post season-finale.

If I didn't care about canon, this wouldn't be a block, but I do care about canon, perhaps to a fault, and don't want to write anything drastically AU. I've probably got a year before S3 airs either in the UK or the US, but any advice would be welcomed!

5/26/2012 #213
StormyMonday
Well, I don't know your fandom, but I think I understand, even if it's just in general terms. I just try to make things as canon compliant as possible while still putting my own spin on things. On the other hand, I'm not writing for an ongoing series, so I doubt this helps much, but I do have experience with giving certain canon elements a new (and apparently acceptable) direction.
5/26/2012 #214
The Bitter Kitten

Well, you could either do a canon compliant AU (which sounds like an oxymoron); put your story on hiatus until next season; write now and revise/ rewrite when the new season comes out; write and retcon when the new season comes out... really it's a matter of do you want to change what you've written, wait to finish writing, or stick to your guns no matter what the writers do.

I feel you on wanting to respect canon, though. :)

Except for A Song of Ice and Fire, I don't have any fandoms that are ongoing, so I'm curious to see what you'll do.

5/26/2012 #215
The Death Frisbee

Thanks for the thoughts, guys! I get the canon-compliant AU that both of you guys are basically describing. Decided to go that route, anyway. I don't want to drastically change the structure of the story but I also don't want to retread the primary source material by way of the TV show, either, so that seemed the most elegant approach.

I don't want to wait, as then I might not be interested anymore, and retcons would be stupidly labored due to the slow speed of show production, so... But thank you!

5/26/2012 #216
ArtistoftheBlueMoon

Alright, I have been trying to re write my story for a while, and this is a part from the first draft of my re write, I know it's not gonna be perfect...But I hope people will give their 100% truthful honest opinion on it. Alright, here goes...

A young boy was sleeping in a small bed in a shoddy, cramped wooden room in the slums of Truce Dome. This boy's name was Trent, and he was lying in bed after pressing the snooze button for the fifth time. Unfortunately for him, the voice of the caretaker woke him from his blissful sleep.

"Hey, wake up Mr. Mad Scientist; you don't want to be late for the science fair do you?" The caretaker yelled through the door in a playful manner.

Trent woke up with a start and started struggling to get out of bed as fast as he could. He changed out of his pajamas, got his school books and notes ready, and started grooming himself to look his best for this most fabulous of days.

If he stayed still long enough to admire his reflection, he would have noticed that his normally long and curly hair was now all over the place and in serious need of cutting. Not to mention his green eyes were pale and drawn, as he had stayed up nearly all night working on his project. But alas, he did not.

He ran out the door, nearly hitting the caretaker in the face on the way out. He also noticed that no one else was here either.

"I really hope I'm not late for the bus." Trent worried.

As he ran out the front door he could see the bus doors closing. He called out to them just in time before it took off without him. He took his usual seat and looked out at the accursed building where he lived. Truce Orphanage was slowly becoming a speck in the distance.

That building held only bad memories for Trent. He hopes that the day will come soon that he will be able to leave forever, but he knows such thoughts are not to come true easily. He would have to make a good reputation for himself at the science fair. All the parents would be there, and maybe then he would get adopted and taken away from this place.

And for the record this fic is a big crossover between multiple series and this is an OC in this section, I am trying to do my best to make some character development for him unlike other OCs I've seen. This is just the begining part, I want it to have a strong opening. The first chapter is going to be much, much longer than this.

6/4/2012 . Edited 6/4/2012 #217
The Death Frisbee

Hey there. I'm not sure this is specifically a critique thread, but here are some thoughts:

Trent seems a good viewpoint character and a reliable perspective. Coming from someone who does not know this fandom (it could be anything from The Hunger Games to Logan's Run, as far as I'm concerned), you do a good job at the hints of weirdness ("Truce Dome") without giving away the whole thing.

You have some grammatical snafus in there -- for starters, check your commas, and you punctuate thoughts with a "thought tag" differently: I hope I'm not late for the bus, Trent worried -- and you're doing a lot of telling, not showing. For instance, "in a playful manner" -- how is it playful? What does playfulness do to the voice? You can get away with telling for expediency at times, but it should be used sparingly.

Continuing with "show, don't tell": Looking in the mirror is a bit too obvious of a way to describe your main character's appearance. I am going to assume your story is from limited-3rd (we only have Trent's thoughts) instead of omniscient-3rd (we have others' thoughts), because that's a harder viewpoint from which to work in description. However, this suggestion applies to both -- work it in with the action. For instance, maybe Trent's so worried about going to school (a good way to get rid of the awkwardness of the thought section) that he shoves a hand through his messy hair, and his pale and drawn eyes are blinking from insomnia, et cetera.

It also seems to me that you're starting the story too early -- nothing has happened yet. Yes, Trent's woken up and caught the bus, but your reader won't care about that. Start with a bang, not a whimper (to bastardize T.S. Eliot). It seems like the story starts at the science fair -- show us Trent there, shaky and sleepless, soldiering through with his presentation.

On the plus side, you have a good sense of pace for where you have started (although you're starting too early) and your tone is even and smooth, easy to get through and not presenting itself as awkward or hindering your story.

Hope this helps!

6/5/2012 #218
StormyMonday

I apologize in advance if this makes anyone uncomfortable. My story is M rated for at least one of the reasons indicated in this question.

Ok, I'll try to keep this as simple as possible. My question has to do with my OC, and how I should handle a very specific, ADULT matter.

So I'm on my way to being finished with my WIP revisions, and as I was doing the rewrites, something occurred to me. The relationship is a little tricky because of certain canon-related circumstances; both characters are very fond of each other, but due to the fact my canon is going to be leaving town for an undetermined amount of time, they have made a silent, mutual agreement that things aren't going beyond just spending time together. Of course, it doesn't take long for the two to start reconsidering this because there is a really strong attraction between them.

The scene that presents the problem is that they're both back at their room at the inn, after being caught in a heavy downpour. My female character has gotten out of a very wet dress and heels, and has changed into her favorite nightie, when she notices her male counterpart seems uneasy, and that's where the sexual tension becomes the focus of the scene. Because my canon knows that his...well, let's go ahead and call her his girlfriend, was a victim of a pedophile when she was a child, he finally comes out and asks her if she's been with anyone in her adult life.

My question as the author is this: at twenty five years old, is it too cliché or Sue-ish for her to say she hasn't. To further the question, she was dating someone else when she met my canon character (off screen boyfriend was a jerk, and she was planning to break things off, so it's not like there's triangle potential there). Initially, I was going to mention that she had been in at least one serious relationship before because I wanted to avoid that aspect of Sue-dom, but a couple of friends/readers tell me it would be perfectly fine considering her childhood for her to be a virgin.

Also, I should make it clear that I do not take this lightly. I realize people that have been in the situation she has have serious issues to deal with. What I've done, hopefully with relative success, is to make her quite a bit headstrong, and pretty much on the assertive side, while at the same time being fragile and in need of someone she feels she can trust. My canon is that person, so I think they feel very comfortable with each other. My OC's problems manifest mainly in the way of nightmares, and sometimes blackouts, and she can also has the occasional habit of displacing blame. 'You're a fine one to talk', for instance.

Anyway, I'm on the fence as to what she tells him. Either way it's going to be awkward, oddly enough more so for him than it is for her I think.

6/11/2012 #219
TheFictionFairy

I don't think it would be Sueish for you OC to be a virgin. Trauma of that kind could easily put her off physical relationships. However, be very careful - if you're going to play the "sexual tension" angle with the canon character, be sure that her problems with physical intimacy don't just instantly and magically disappear because she's found "The One." I think that there's a lot of potential here for some good, meaty drama - just so long as you're respectful of the subject matter.

6/11/2012 #220
StormyMonday

I don't think it would be Sueish for you OC to be a virgin. Trauma of that kind could easily put her off physical relationships. However, be very careful - if you're going to play the "sexual tension" angle with the canon character, be sure that her problems with physical intimacy don't just instantly and magically disappear because she's found "The One." I think that there's a lot of potential here for some good, meaty drama - just so long as you're respectful of the subject matter.

I don't plan on writing anything other than the conversation. And I can't honestly see that she's put off by phyisical interaction, because he's been very good to her, always being there for her and insisting that she not be alone when she wakes up from her nightmares. I've done quite a lot of research on the subject, and found that not everyone deals with that sort of trauma the same way. With that in mind, I really didn't want her to be a shrinking violet, as it were. I have reasons for everything. I don't just write stuff because it sounds good at the time. I always consider all angles before I even put the first word on the page.

Thank you for the insight though. I appreciate it. :)

6/11/2012 #221
Desktop Warrior

I'm surprised your character has had any romantic relationships at all, honestly. Not shocked, but it's not something I took for granted would happen, either. In any case, I think your OC's being a virgin is quite understandable. As Fairy said, though, don't make her problems just vanish. I'd think it'd take some time for her to feel fully comfortable around her new amore.

6/11/2012 #222
StormyMonday
Oh dear, where to start... This is an important part of the story, but not the main focus. Lets see...right from the start Neil (my canon) defends Scarlet (my OC) from the local sleezeball. After which, Neil treats a nasty cut she sustains during the ordeal, and then instead of letting her take a taxi home (from the pub) Neil takes her home because he's a nice guy. A few weeks later they meet again when, just as she's leaving work, she realizes she's locked her keys in her car - on a Sunday night where the whole town is closing down because there's a bad storm moving in. Again, Neil takes her home, but not without protest from Scarlet as she hates the thought of being seen as the damsel in distress. However, this time she invitees him in because she feels that he's gone to a lot of trouble for her, so she offers to make him dinner. They talk over dinner and end up watching a movie, she falls asleep and instead of waking her, Neil decides to stay on the sofa, only to be awakened later by Scarlet having a nightmare. Ultimately he decides there's no way he'll be able to just leave and never see her again, so they agree to have dinner again the following evening. And so it goes from there. The question pertains to chapter five of 12 so far, and I haven't even gotten to the canonical timeline yet. From start to finish I'm looking at an 8 - 10 year timeline. In my fandom, we all know that Neil is one of those rare types you can meet for the first time and feel like you've known him all your life. For this reason I believe Scarlet wouldn't be as hesitant to warn up to him as she would someone else. Canonically, it was only about six years before this when Neil and his brother watched their parents and sister die during a homicide bombing. So it is my belief it wouldn't take long for them to establish a firm bond . Also, I will have been working on this story for about two years come September. And I trust my readers to tell me if something seems off, and so far I haven't had any complaints about believability. I don't claim that it's easy to tackle a subject like this because it isn't, but I hope I've done a reasonably good job.
6/11/2012 #223
Desktop Warrior

Sounds like you're doing a great job so far. The only issue I see here is Neil possibly becoming a Gary Stu, but I'm sure you've given his character enough thought so that doesn't happen. Also, just because Scarlet warms up to him more easily than she does to others, it still doesn't mean she warms up to him easily.

6/11/2012 #224
Rosawyn

I feel bad for not reading and replying to the whole thread (or at least the whole thread since I last posted), but I did want to reply to the one question of is it realistic for a character to be 25 and still a virgin? I would say most definitely yes. I know four people in real life who were still virgins at 25 (incidentally, all four of them are now married, so I assume none are still virgins), and I know for sure that at least two of them never experienced any sort of sexual trauma in childhood to "explain" that. In fact, I suspect that I actually know a lot more people who are/were still virgins at 25, but it's not exactly a topic that comes up in normal conversation a whole lot. There are many reasons why a person might not choose to have sex at whatever age, and to the individual who is 25 (or older) and "still a virgin" it might not be that big of a deal.

6/11/2012 . Edited 6/11/2012 #225
StormyMonday

Sounds like you're doing a great job so far. The only issue I see here is Neil possibly becoming a Gary Stu, but I'm sure you've given his character enough thought so that doesn't happen. Also, just because Scarlet warms up to him more easily than she does to others, it still doesn't mean she warms up to him easily.

Oh Time, honey, everyone in my fandom knows Neil and his brother, and their male comrades are Gary Stus. I mean, it's just something we accept as fact and don't really think much about it. But they are nothing compared to the main character, who has godly skills in many areas, AND communicates with aliens. The whole series is seriously messed up like that. Which is why we have so much room to make stuff up.

Also, I didn't give Scarlet's complete back story as it wasn't relevant to my question. She's been an OC of mine since 2002. Originally she was meant for something else that never got off the ground. Not only that, back then she was very one dimensional. When I decided to transplant her into this universe though, she really started to evolve. The main reason I don't update often is because I have to let things flow naturally, and that means letting the characters speak through me, as opposed to forcing them to do what I want. Scarlet is...not even close to be a social butterfly. She is happy with her life, as it is in stark contrast to what she knew growing up. The one thing she tells me is that she refused to let what happened to her rule her life. No she's not happy all the time, and is very prone to depression, but does not complain to otohers. I even have it stated that she DOES see a psychiatrist (I think that's the right one) on a regular basis, and sometimes has to take meds to manage her symptoms. So it's not like just some "oh by the way" thing that isn't ever mentioned again.

Again, two years spanning 12 chapters so far, but even before I posted the first two chapters back in 2010 I had been doing some extensive planning on the frame work. Add to that countless hours of chat and emails between two of my most trusted character consultants and fellow writers, as well as quite a few discussions on the Gundam 00 Character Analysis forum.

I feel bad for not reading and replying to the whole thread (or at least the whole thread since I last posted), but I did want to reply to the one question of is it realistic for a character to be 25 and still a virgin? I would say most definitely yes. I know four people in real life who were still virgins at 25 (incidentally, all four of them are now married, so I assume none are still virgins), and I know for sure that at least two of them never experienced any sort of sexual trauma in childhood to "explain" that. In fact, I suspect that I actually know a lot more people who are/were still virgins at 25, but it's not exactly a topic that comes up in normal conversation a whole lot. There are many reasons why a person might not choose to have sex at whatever age, and to the individual who is 25 (or older) and "still a virgin" it might not be that big of a deal.

Yes, I know this Rosa. My question was in direct reference to the part of the Mary Sue test that says 'if the OFC loses her virginity to a canon character, she is an automatic Sue.' So I wondered if, in the case of my fic, whether this Sue-ism applies; if it's better to have her as being in a previously serious (or semi) relationship, or if it's ok to go with the Sue-ism.

Frankly, I don't know why this is a Sue-ism to begin with. The only way I could validate this is if the female character goes around telling everyone she's saving herself because of her devout religious values or something. Not that that's a bad thing in itself, but I'm talking about those people that do it so you can't stand to be around them. Otherwise, so freaking what if Mary Sue gets with a canon male? As long as there's proper context, I don't really see a problem. Unfortunately though, too many other people do.

And no, this is not just a convenient plot device I pulled out of thin air to facilitate a quick and dirty happily ever after. Hell, they're not even going to be together after I get chapter 13 posted. The whole damn fic is about trust, and having to decide when to give the other person the benefit of the doubt. Never mind the kids, and being captured by enemy forces, undergoing harsh interrogations, and then having to start a new life after escaping certain death while being transported to a high gravity work camp on a mining satellite.

Ok, well, I've made a decision. I really like how it plays out in my head. That said, I'm a little put off at the suggestion I don't have a clue as to what I'm doing. All I wanted was an opinion on the Mary Sue issue.

Edit: (from my friend, Green about Neil)

emotionally scarred/imbalanced people were drawn to him like moths to the light

This is canon.

6/12/2012 . Edited 6/12/2012 #226
Rosawyn

the part of the Mary Sue test that says 'if the OFC loses her virginity to a canon character, she is an automatic Sue.' So I wondered if, in the case of my fic, whether this Sue-ism applies; if it's better to have her as being in a previously serious (or semi) relationship, or if it's ok to go with the Sue-ism.

Frankly, I don't know why this is a Sue-ism to begin with.

Well, I don't write OCs into fanfiction, and I don't tend to read fanfiction with OCs in it. If I do read a fanfic with an OC, I don't want them paired with a canon character, period. It wouldn't matter to me if they'd never had sex with anyone ever before or if they'd had sex with everyone and his second cousin before. I just don't like seeing OCs paired with canon characters. I honestly don't see how their sexual history factors into the question at all. I guess even though I tend to dislike most OCs in fanfiction, I also tend to disagree very strongly with those Mary Sue tests. It's my thought that if someone really wants to write an OC into a fanfic, they should do it pretty much however they like, Mary Sue tests be dammed. The most important person you're writing for in my opinion is yourself. So if you like your character and story the way you've written it, then that's awesome.

6/12/2012 #227
The Bitter Kitten

[Frankly, I don't know why this is a Sue-ism to begin with.]

Because of all of the E'Milia Grace Vanit'y Star Sunshynne Saph'irs with eyes that change colors depending on their mood running around stealing Harry away from Ginny and Peeta away from Katniss and bedding him almost immediately, whilst being simultaneously a blushing virgin and a sex goddess who is the best he's ever had. At 13.

On it's own, it doesn't mean a thing, really, and as long as everything is grounded in realism, with consequences for actions, and backstory informing on reactions and the like, you should be fine.

6/12/2012 #228
truthsetfree

OK, I have a question. I've pretty much got a whole story written out. I'm at a place where I could add more chapters if inspired, or I could just leave it as it is. The question is this: should I post everything all at once, or should I post a chapter a day or a chapter a week?

6/12/2012 #229
TheFictionFairy

OK, I have a question. I've pretty much got a whole story written out. I'm at a place where I could add more chapters if inspired, or I could just leave it as it is. The question is this: should I post everything all at once, or should I post a chapter a day or a chapter a week?

My opinion? Spread out posting the chapters a bit to get some reviews on each one. If you post them all at once, you run the risk of people only reviewing the last chapter.

6/12/2012 #230
Isao Fujita

Concerning your question, about virginity in adulthood, I consider it realistic, although uncommon. You don't have to invent a childhood trauma, or anything of the sort, to justify it: as many people have already given their thoughts on the matter, I will only try to bring another angle to seeing the problem. If statistics -those of the Kinsey institute, for example - are to be trusted, approximately 7% of the general population (physically able to do so) over 25 did not have sexual intercourses. 3% to 5% of the population will never have sexual relationships. Therefore, there is 4% to 2% of people in the situation of your character, that, even if they are still virgin in their mid twenties, are still likely to have a sexual intercourse at some point of their life (the latter being, for instance, people who might have taken a vow of chastity, or simply not interested in sex).

Although this not common, it still represents a significant amount of people, and is in no way unrealistic.

6/12/2012 #231
truthsetfree

My opinion? Spread out posting the chapters a bit to get some reviews on each one. If you post them all at once, you run the risk of people only reviewing the last chapter.

So are we talking daily here or weekly? Because if we're talking daily, I should and could totally get on that.

6/13/2012 #232
Merry Masquerade

So are we talking daily here or weekly?

It's really up to you. What I would do in that situation would probably be something like telling my readers in an AN that the next chapter will be up in (for example) 3 days, OR when I receive X number of reviews - whichever comes first. But that's just me.

6/13/2012 #233
TheFictionFairy

Whoops! I didn't realize my sister hadn't logged out of her account. That was me in the previous post.

6/13/2012 . Edited 6/13/2012 #234
truthsetfree

I don't think I should hold my breath for reviews. The first chapter has only been hit 4 times. All of those hits are from the first day it was posted. It was posted on the eleventh.

I know that might not seem all that unfortunate to some folks, but even though my reviews are always slow in coming, I've always received plenty of hits on day one of posting.

And nobody seems to be following it, so...

I guess I'll just post the next chapter today, and a new chapter every day.

I appreciate your input.

6/13/2012 #235
StormyMonday

Concerning your question, about virginity in adulthood, I consider it realistic, although uncommon. You don't have to invent a childhood trauma, or anything of the sort, to justify it: as many people have already given their thoughts on the matter, I will only try to bring another angle to seeing the problem.

Although this not common, it still represents a significant amount of people, and is in no way unrealistic.

Well, it's not just that. The additional circumstance is that she was a victim of a preferential sex offender when she was a child. Since I posted the question here, a trusted consultant and fellow fangirl has agreed to advise me on sticky issues such as this. I really can't say more than that, but what she tells me is that my character entering into a romantic relationship is not at all unheard of as long as I approach the subject very carefully.

Thanks for that information though. It's quite interesting. :)

6/13/2012 #236
The Bitter Kitten

[OR when I receive X number of reviews]

Dude, I hate it when authors hold stories hostage for reviews. It makes me not want to read them at all, honestly. It's fine if you put up chapters on a schedule, but the whole "you better review or I'm taking my ball and going home" is begging for attention and I just can't stand it.

/would make a horrible ambassador

Truth, I'd update on a weekly basis or every three days. You're not making anyone wait that long, but it gives enough time for the chapter to sink in and people to get around to reading / reviewing.

6/13/2012 #237
truthsetfree

I could try for every two or three days. It's pretty tempting to just post everything I have. But I did that a couple of times, and although those got record hits, they got no reviews. Ever. Eventually I figured they were dusty and I took them down.

6/13/2012 #238
TheFictionFairy

Dude, I hate it when authors hold stories hostage for reviews.

I wasn't trying to imply that anyone should hold chapters hostage - I also really hate it when an author says something like: "I'm not posting the next chapter until I get X number of reviews!" It seems really childish to me to punish your readers for not reviewing. But I have read a lot of stories where the author posts on a regular schedule (for example, once a week), but will post a couple of days early if they get a lot of reviews. I think it's a pretty good system of reward, not punishment.

6/13/2012 #239
SiriuslyPeeved

I usually try to stick to a weekly schedule if I have chapters prewritten but as I hardly ever pre-write, (heh) usually my updates are monthly or less.

I agree there's nothing shady about accelerating posting if readers are fired up :)

Personally I am bookmarking your new HP story, Truth, that is my very favorite kind of story in the fandom. :D

With fandoms like HP the world itself is one of the stars (IMO) so you can totally take a good OC or ancillary canon character and run with it. I guess OC stories come naturally to me since I came up through RPGs where canon characters and certain settings were explicitly disallowed by the author for several years. (Pern). They aren't anymore but it still feels weird to me to even consider writing a story with canon Pern characters.

My Star Wars story is a parallel original trilogy -- taking place at the same time as the original films but with OCs experiencing canon events, and some interaction with canon characters. Some people don't enjoy those but I do. To each his or her own. This is supposed to be fun, right? )

Chapter lengths: online my chapters run from 1800-4500 words. A very few in the 5Ks. In original fiction they are somewhat longer... I think reading online makes a big difference to me in my preferred chapter length. Personally anything under 1500 words usually leaves me wanting more unless it fits the style. Anything over 7K online and I glaze over ;). (or come back and read more later!). That's just my eyes and attention span talking. My eyes are not that great and honestly neither is my attention span ;)

Stormy, I think your story sounds fascinating, and I don't even know your fandom. Good luck with it! Exploring a character's psychology is one of the most satisfying parts of writing for me as well.

Sorry for the rambly Siri!style reply with no quotes -- I'm supposed to be packing :p

6/13/2012 #240
« Prev Page 1 .. 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Wendy Brune Luna Rapunzel, The Real F'n Scorp, Madam'zelleGiry, ShadedRogue, The Reviews Lounge Too
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member