The Reviews Lounge, Too
A forum for The Reviews Lounge, Too community, which spotlights the excellent stories in our archives and promotes reviewing all stories without the promise of getting a review in return. Don't forget to read the rules and introduce yourself first!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
The Reviews Lounge Too

Edit: 2013 NaNo & Green Room conversation starts on page 12!

...also known as the thread created because Wendy really, really can't write this profile piece that's due in an hour and a half right now.

In case you have no idea what's going down, go here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/whatisnano) to learn all about NaNoWriMo.

Use this thread to discuss plot ideas, get and give encouragement when you're not meeting your word count deadlines, or find a listening ear so you can bemoan your writer's block. Remember that you are not suppose to write before November, but feel free to use this thread beforehand to discuss strategies or plot points. Basically, if you want to talk all about NaNoWriMo, this is is the thread to do it.

Do remember that any off-topic chat /will/ be deleted. Take it to randomness, ok?

Good luck!

The RLt Directory of NaNo-ers!

(FFN Pen-name -- NaNo Username)

Desktop Warrior -- dark_avatar

IrishPanther -- IrishPanther

MadameGiry25 -- Mother.Giry

meadow rue -- med_rue

ShadedRogue -- shadedrogue

ToManyLetters -- ToManyLetters

Wendy Brune -- WendyBrune

10/4/2010 . Edited by Wendy Brune, 11/27/2013 #1
eSJa

I'm very much looking forward to this and can't wait until Nov 1st to start writting. Good luck all!

10/4/2010 #2
NickyFox13

I've done NaNo a few times all ready and can't wait to do this!

10/4/2010 #3
Wendy Brune

Do you guys have plots figured out yet?

Want to share?

10/4/2010 #4
eSJa

I think I have one; that was the hardest part, coming up with a plot that would last realistically through 50k words. lol

It has three main character's and the idea is to split the "book" into three parts, one for each character.

A specific plot, sure I'd be happy to share...once I can get it all straight on paper. XD

Do you have one yet Wendy?

10/4/2010 #5
Wendy Brune

I keep switching between plots, actually. I can't decide.

I could work on the novel that I really want to write one day. It's nothing serious or ground-breaking, honestly, but more in the lieu of Sophie Kinsella (read: chick-lit) with just a touch more social commentary. I've worked at a country club pool for two summers now - once as a life-guard and once as a snack-bar person. I've met some CRAZY INSANE people who are rich but, well, insane. I really want to write a story one day about a girl who goes to work at a country club pool and her adventures there (hehe.) I've not really worked out the full details yet, but basically she'd come, be sucked into another world, eventually realizing that money doesn't buy happiness, etc. etc.

However, I don't feel like I have the fully fleshed out yet, so I'm hesitant to start on it, really. It's important to be, and right now it sounds too cliched to be any good.

Therefore, I have another story I'll probably do - a fantasy (I guess? Minus lots of magic, so maybe more like a fairy tale), more realistic re-telling of Cinderella. (With her actually knowing the Prince.) It's stupid, honestly, and I could never ever see it being turned into a book, but I'm not good with long plots, so I might use it as a way to practice novel-length writing plots. Like, it's so bad that I'd probably just let the main character be a Mary-Sue, focusing instead on the plot. I can always go back and clean up the characterization if I like the thing later.

OH. Or I could retry writing my murder-mystery novel I started but only wrote a 1000 words for last time. Styled sort of after the Stephanie Plum novels, I envisioned it about a reporter who's sent to cover the NASCAR circuit for a year. While she's there, a driver gets killed, and another driver looks like he's to blame. (But, of course, he's the red herring, and it's up to her to uncover what's really going on whilst also getting chummy with the bad-boy red herring.) It's not particularly thought-provoking or anything, but it'd be entertaining, I'd like to think.

Hm. Which one do you think I should do?

10/4/2010 #6
NickyFox13

I think I have one; that was the hardest part, coming up with a plot that would last realistically through 50k words. lol

I agree XD My plot still is kind of weak but it's there.

10/4/2010 #7
NickyFox13

Therefore, I have another story I'll probably do - a fantasy (I guess? Minus lots of magic, so maybe more like a fairy tale), more realistic re-telling of Cinderella. (With her actually knowing the Prince.)

The way you describe it here makes it sound pretty awesome! /useless comment is kind of useless LOL

10/4/2010 #8
eSJa

They all sound good honestly, but I can tell the country club one is the one you're passionate about, so I'd shelve that until you feel like you can do it justice, like you said.

Maybe I'm on a princess kick, but I like the re-telling of Cinderella, it's right up your alley, you have a good idea of where you want it to go and aren't all that concerned with making it REALLY good(even though I know coming from you I would thoroughly enjoy it!). As you said you can always go back and tweak it as you see fit.

The third would be entertaining, but it would take some inside knowledge of NASCAR to really make it work and authentic. Which you may have, I don't know. lol. All of them sound like a good read but my vote is for Cinderella. XD

10/4/2010 #9
Wendy Brune

The way you describe it here makes it sound pretty awesome! /useless comment is kind of useless LOL

Awh! ♥ Maybe I'll do that one, then. I don't know, I'm just not sure how original it will sound. I like the idea of the Prince becoming friends with her, but then getting bad at her for some reason. I don't know. At all. Hopefully something will happen.

Do you have a plot, Nicky?

10/4/2010 #10
Wendy Brune

Maybe I'm on a princess kick, but I like the re-telling of Cinderella, it's right up your alley, you have a good idea of where you want it to go and aren't all that concerned with making it REALLY good(even though I know coming from you I would thoroughly enjoy it!). As you said you can always go back and tweak it as you see fit.

Cinderella re-telling it is. XD

10/4/2010 #11
Cerulean City

Should I post my plot again for like the thousandth time? ;)

Also, is anyone else having problems logging into the website? Literally every time I try it times out and I can't log back in to set up my account!

10/4/2010 #12
Dejsha's World

I'm going to work on two stories:

"Scrolls of Orillium," which is on fictionpress, under the name "Ariana Ethaitrius," is a fantasy novel, and

my Egyptian story.

Basically, Evelyn Herbert - who accompanies Howard Carter and her father, George Herbert - realises she's King Tuts wife, reincarnated.

10/4/2010 #13
Wendy Brune

Yes! Re-post so it's no longer buried in Randomness!

...and I can log in. Or, I did earlier, anyway.

10/4/2010 #14
Cerulean City

Okay, here's the official blurb/novel excerpt for what I'm doing this year.

In a world where everyone's a superhero, Sagel struggles to find herself and her way in a college built for instructing young people in the ways of their powers. Sagel's ability is new and foreign, and that captures the interest of others who wonder if their super-powered world has stagnated on the ability of humans to grow past what they've accomplished so far. Sagel must come to grips with her power--and these villains--in the quest to find her true place in the world.

"Sagel was a bright girl, really, she just had a little temper. When she was mad, she didn't scream and yell like other people, or storm off dramatically and write poorly thought out poetry like teenagers were wont to do. She would think hard about encasing whatever had offended her in a bubble, a big shiny silver bubble that would crowd out her anger because she put it all in that bubble and then smashed that bubble down until it was nothing.

Imagine her surprise when she killed her mother by putting her in a bubble and smashing her until she was nothing."

...and I can log in. Or, I did earlier, anyway.

wtf. I may have to have you hack me the first time just to get my account set back up again so then I can futz with everything else later.

10/4/2010 . Edited 10/4/2010 #15
Wendy Brune

Oh god. I could never do two stories at once. Just doing the one has always proven impossible for me!

10/4/2010 #16
Wendy Brune

YOU ALREADY KNOW HOW I FEEL ABOUT YOUR PLOT, BLAKEY-BOO, SO I'LL REFRAIN FROM REPEATING AGAIN! ♥

totallywantbagelsagainthanks

wtf. I may have to have you hack me the first time just to get my account set back up again so then I can futz with everything else later.

Let me know if you need help! =)

10/4/2010 #17
Cerulean City

Let me know if you need help! =) I need help. Pop on Skype real quick?

10/4/2010 #18
eSJa

HEY! I remember this plot Blake! I can't wait to read it and see where you take things. Do you have the whole thing plotted out or just the general direction?

10/4/2010 #19
Wendy Brune

...I've been on skype!

(Nice icon, btw. That was my guess for what it was going to be!)

10/4/2010 #20
Cerulean City

Sorry, had to get that login thing straightened out and then a friend called me!

Anyway, SD, um, I have a general direction but no hard outline. I do have character sketches (mostly) done and introductions already planned and then some general plot points I've got to hit but other than that I don't like restricting myself. I found that last year. Even though I had a very rigid plan, the writing spun itself off in a brand new direction that actually made the project richer. XD

Clear as mud?

10/4/2010 #21
eSJa

The high end New York spa mud. XD

10/4/2010 #22
Dejsha's World

I know, Wendy, but if I work on two, it makes it (in a way) less stressful, then, I don't have to try get word count in one single story...

10/4/2010 #23
NickyFox13

Awh! ♥ Maybe I'll do that one, then. I don't know, I'm just not sure how original it will sound. I like the idea of the Prince becoming friends with her, but then getting bad at her for some reason. I don't know. At all. Hopefully something will happen. Do you have a plot, Nicky?

To be honest, NaNoWriMo stuff doesn't have to be good since I like to think of it as just writing a first draft. You can always fix it up to make it less cliche in the rewriting stage.

I have a veeery vague plot idea, which is just about six kids in two different bands whose friendship is tested when they have to compete in a battle of the bands contest as rivals. I have lots and lots of characters whose interactions would be fascinating when actually put together. And I kind of want to do it in poetry format for the extra challenge.

10/4/2010 #24
xoxcrescentmoonxox

To be honest, NaNoWriMo stuff doesn't have to be good since I like to think of it as just writing a first draft. You can always fix it up to make it less cliche in the rewriting stage.

Word. On my novel last year, I ended up having to completely rework one of the major plotlines, but even though the part I wrote in November was awful, you can't edit what doesn't exist. After having done it once, it's definitely true that no matter what, the only thing to do is keep writing.

Plus, being able to tell people you're written a novel just sounds super impressive!

And I kind of want to do it in poetry format for the extra challenge.

That's awesome! Have you read the book What My Mother Doesn't Know? Well, it's all in free verse, and it's really cool. So if what you're imagining is the same thing as what I'm thinking of, that'll be a great style to experiment with.

10/4/2010 #25
NickyFox13

Yeah, it's an awesome accomplishment. Also, that's what editing is for: to make your novel better.

I've heard of What My Mother Doesn't Know, but haven't read it. I was inspired by Ellen Hopkins (she wrote various books like Burned and Crank) but I'll read up on that book. Thanks for the recc!

10/4/2010 #26
Wendy Brune

And I kind of want to do it in poetry format for the extra challenge.

That's crazy. I'm so impressed, because that sounds like it would be hard to do. (But the plot sounds so interesting!) Good luck! =)

10/4/2010 #27
NickyFox13

That's crazy. I'm so impressed, because that sounds like it would be hard to do. (But the plot sounds so interesting!) Good luck! =)

Thanks so much, both on the luck and for the plot compliment 3

10/4/2010 #28
Wendy Brune

Yay for being supportive! ♥

10/4/2010 #29
eSJa

Support is 9/10 or writing. =DOh man, I just tried writting out a blurb for my plot and totally failed. Maybe I should work on that instead of more Princess drabbles. .

10/4/2010 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Wendy Brune GeorgyannWayson, Luna Rapunzel, The Real F'n Scorp, Madam'zelleGiry, ShadedRogue, The Reviews Lounge Too
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member