The Reviews Lounge, Too
A forum for The Reviews Lounge, Too community, which spotlights the excellent stories in our archives and promotes reviewing all stories without the promise of getting a review in return. Don't forget to read the rules and introduce yourself first!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »
Wendy Brune

Discuss the new movie here and ONLY here so we don't ruin it for our friends! XDD

11/19/2010 #1
Mistical Ninja

Neeeeehh, I was alittle disappointed when they cut out Remus coming to see Harry at Grimmald place, but I can live with that. But omg, I almost cried when Dobby died... T_T Seriously, they did an EXCELLENT job on the movie.

11/19/2010 #2
Wendy Brune

I definitely cried when Dobby died, which was weird because it didn't affect me much in the book.

Scenes I Missed:

-Dudley shaking Harry's hand

-Remus' visit

-The Potterwatch Program

-The part when Harry was pretending to be that guy at the ministry who was actually a jerk. They never explained that.

....still, I didn't hate it. I actually liked it. I've not liked any of the others, so....

11/19/2010 . Edited 11/19/2010 #3
ladia2287

I shed a tear when Dobby died as well, but I think I was more upset by Hedwig getting hit. *sniff* All she did was deliver Harry's mail :'(

11/19/2010 #4
Luna Rapunzel

I cried on and off through the entire thing, starting when Hermione obliviated her parents up until Voldemort took the wand... aka from the first five minutes till the last scene of the movie. Was shaking with silent sobs at Dobby's death. I bawled outright in the book and was able to control it better for the movie because I was a lot more affected in the book, but still.

Mad that they cut Dudley's redeeming moment and Potterwatch and (it surprises me that I care so much because I don't ship them at all, but) the stuff where Harry and Ginny fought over whether she could come with him over the summer. They tweaked some details I wasn't okay with, but eh, it's been three years since I've read the book, so that helped with not being quite as livid over it. Most of the movie felt like buildup, and now we have to wait six months to see all that buildup come to something, so that kind of makes me mad. I guess it felt really anticlimactic as a movie on its own, but if I could have seen it together with the second half, I would have liked it better--because the stuff that happened was good; it just didn't feel right cutting it off where they did, although I guess it makes sense. I don't know. I don't make sense. :D

11/20/2010 #5
hiddlestons

I cried at Dobby's and Hedwig's death too.

But the beginning scene where Harry was zipping up Ginny's dress and George was watching was so awkwardly funny. Like seriously, I was cracking up. H/G is just so awkward. I like AVPM H/G much better than canon H/G. Yeah, I was also sort of disappointed that they cut off the scene where Dudley redeemed himself. I was also looking forward to the Potterwatch thing too. I agree with -ehwies that it felt like a buildup. But the dance was cute, I must admit. And O____________O Harry is hairy. Like, yeah.

11/20/2010 #6
TheWeaselette

I think the film was pretty awesome, for a change =)

I definitely shed a tear at Dobby's death. My best friend said he will never let me live it down =)

11/22/2010 #7
Jemennuie

I really liked this movie--I think it's probably been my favorite movie yet, just because there was a good mix of action, humor and character development. And although they cut some stuff out, I felt like they didn't cut as much out as they did for some of the other movies (or at least I didn't notice it as much, which may also have to do with the fact I haven't read the book that recently).

Also, the three brothers' deathly hallows animation sequence was absolutely amazing, I thought.

11/25/2010 #8
hiddlestons

I agree. The animation was done beautifully, and the transition between the scenes flowed wonderfully. It was probably one of my favorite scenes.

11/25/2010 #9
lydiamaartin

I find it ridiculously easy to nitpick the movies--why does Bill only have one scar? Why does Kingsley's patronus have no shape? Why on Earth were Harry and Hermione dancing?--but this time around, I completely forgot to harp on the small details. It was really, really amazing. Yes, they cut out some cool parts, and the camping trip was still too freakin' long, but overall, it was a fantastic movie, and I think the good definitely outweighs the bad.

Although, I have to admit, Nagini scared the everything out of me. I covered my eyes every time she appeared D: I really can't wait to see Neville slice her up!

Oh, and I agree with those who loved the story of the Three Brothers :) I thought that looked really cool and awesome. In fact, the entire movie was just fantastic! I can't wait to see it again!

11/25/2010 #10
Il'Diko

All in all, HP7/1 is perfect (for me).

I had a little hair problem ... I mean, did Snape actually use a shampoo (he had waves many wimen would kill for...) ? And what about Tonks' blond/ brown hair? And according to his hair style, Harry is 30! :O

I loved the added scenes! Ron getting a kiss from Mrs. Cattermol was a kick ass scene! :) And Harry and Hermione dancing (there was a chemistry there, I admit, but Hermione decided against Harry)... oh and the scene about the three brothers was very well done!

Also loved the seven potters scene, the Doby dying scene, and loved the whole camping thing (it was a lot better than in the books...). Also the UK is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I missed the Dudley/ Harry scene, the Remus/ Harry fight, I missed Hermione beating out the ... out of Ron when he came back....and I missed Pettigrew dying!

I saw it with my brother a bf, they never read the books and they thought everything was understandable, so cudos for that. It could have been darker though, the only frightening scene was the Godrics Hollow scene, but it was not as dark, as in the 7. book....

Ooooh and I loved Bella!!!!!! And Scabbers is sooo sexy!!!!! 3

The actors: Rupert and Emma acted the hell out of their characters, Rupert was amazing. And this was the first movie where I actually liked Daniel. :)

All in all VERY GOOD, the split was perfect! :D

YAAY

11/28/2010 . Edited 11/28/2010 #11
Luna Rapunzel

(PEARL I HAVEN'T TALKED TO YOU IN FOREVER WHAT IS THIS NOT ACCEPTABLE DX)

Saw it again with my sister on Friday! Good stuff. Cried harder the second time around. The works.

Why on Earth were Harry and Hermione dancing?

And Harry and Hermione dancing (there was a chemistry there, I admit, but Hermione decided against Harry)

I have mixed feelings about this scene, personally. I thought the acting was fantastic, they had great chemistry together in that scene (even just as friends--I don't ship H/HR, but I still loved them together in this), and I'm in LOVE with the song they played (I looked it up on YouTube and have been listening to it on and off for the last two days). But... I don't know. On the one hand, I thought it was a fantastic addition in that it really hammered home the fact that Harry and Hermione were forced to grow up so fast because of the war--I thought it was really heartbreaking to see them dancing to such a crappy radio and trying to have a good time with what minimal entertainment means they had available to them, but in the end, it didn't change anything, didn't change Hermione's loneliness without Ron there, etc., etc. But I think it was an OOC moment for Harry to think to ask her to dance--so even though I love what the scene symbolizes, it doesn't really match up with what I think JKR's characters would have done, and I can't imagine this scene having taken place behind the scenes of the book.

Oh, and I agree with those who loved the story of the Three Brothers :) I thought that looked really cool and awesome.

This! Loved the animation.

And what about Tonks' blond/ brown hair?

YEAH. EXACTLY. WTF.

Ron getting a kiss from Mrs. Cattermol was a kick ass scene! :)

Agreed! Usually I take issue with scenes inserted into the movies that weren't in the books, but I got a huge laugh out of this (and I was all broken up/overemotional to begin with and needed the laugh anyway :) ).

Also the UK is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IKR. WHAT. GORGEOUS. I love the irony of it, more than anything--the settings are all so completely gorgeous, but the trio can't enjoy/appreciate it because there's so much weighing on their minds--or if they did recognize it, like Hermione mentioning how her parents took her to that one patch of forest once and was reflecting, it was so bittersweet and they couldn't properly appreciate it. I love that. Even though it's horribly sad.

I missed the Dudley/ Harry scene, the Remus/ Harry fight, I missed Hermione beating out the ... out of Ron when he came back....and I missed Pettigrewdying!

All of this!

Rupert and Emma acted the hell out of their characters, Rupert was amazing. And this was the first movie where I actually liked Daniel. :)

Loved the acting from all three, but I'm going to have to disagree with you a little on the Daniel count. I think it had more to do with his appearance than his acting (because I'm shallow XD apparently), but this was the first movie where I didn't feel like he was 100% in character Harry all the time. idk, he just looks SO OLD OMG/not at all like the Harry in my head anymore (he did as a kid, but he's grown out of it, I feel like), plus in some of the scenes (like the H/HR dance) the characterization felt off, and I don't know. But that's more to do with his bone structure and the way Harry's character was written/directed, not so much a slight against Daniel Radcliffe, honestly.

11/28/2010 #12
lydiamaartin

(PEARL I HAVEN'T TALKED TO YOU IN FOREVER WHAT IS THIS NOT ACCEPTABLE DX)

(Haha, hi! Yeah, IKR? I missed talking to you :( Funnily enough, I was just thinking about PMing you again yesterday...but I forgot XD)

Cried harder the second time around.

Oh, goodness, I did not cry at all the first time I saw it. But I went to see it again yesterday and I started crying with Hedwig, again at poor Xeno, and nearly started bawling at Dobby's last words :'( That was not fun, but it was such an amazing movie!

I think it had more to do with his appearance than his acting (because I'm shallow XD apparently), but this was the first movie where I didn't feel like he was 100% in character Harry all the time. idk, he just looks SO OLD OMG/not at all like the Harry in my head anymore (he did as a kid, but he's grown out of it, I feel like), plus in some of the scenes (like the H/HR dance) the characterization felt off, and I don't know.

[more shallowness] Does he get less cuter every movie, or is it just me? [/more shallowness] But, yeah, this XD He's just...not Harry anymore. Like, he grew out of more than just the looks, he grew out of being Harry. I don't know if it's just me, but when I think 'Harry', I don't think 'Dan' anymore, and I used to :-/

But back to gushing about the movie, I forgot to mention one thing: Oh, my goodness, the wedding was absolutely beautiful. The tents, the lighting, Fleur's dress, and then, the drama and the tragedy of Kingsley's (shapeless!! and I noticed this time there were, like, people flying out of it...WTH???) patronus and the message. It was just very well-done. And Aunt Muriel was pretty much exactly how I picture her, and I totally cracked up when I saw her XD

Oh, and the eye candy XD Some of the guys are so ridiculously good-looking here...

What? I'm just saying :P

11/28/2010 #13
hiddlestons

I think Harry looked most like 'Harry' in the first, second, and third movies. Otherwise, he just looked like DanRad. The thing that had always confused me was that in the books, Harry was supposed to have "unruly black hair" and "green eyes". But Dan has brown hair, and blue eyes, likewhat. Shouldn't they dye his hair or give him contacts in the first movie, or something? So strange...

Ooooh, SCABIOR. SQUEEEEEEEEEEEE. I loved the Snatcher scene, that was done brilliantly.

I cracked up when Ron was kissing Mrs. Cattermole, it was hilarious, LOL.

Xeno didn't seem as..'loony' as he was supposed to be, so I was a little disappointed. Yeah, but other than that, it was brilliant.

11/28/2010 #14
Wendy Brune

But I think it was an OOC moment for Harry to think to ask her to dance--so even though I love what the scene symbolizes, it doesn't really match up with what I think JKR's characters would have done, and I can't imagine this scene having taken place behind the scenes of the book.

Basically this. I feel like it implied that there could have been something between Hermione and Harry. And yeah, while that is often done in fanfiction, I've never seen much proof in the books. (I'm currently re-reading.) I'm sure some H/Hr shippers will want to fight me on this one, but yeah. Harry has (I think) said somewhere that Hermione is just a friend. Didn't he talk with Dumbledore, or something? Or is that AVPM? ANYWAY, what I'm trying to say was that I didn't like the scene. I understand why they did it - it added something and it sort of set up Ron and the horocrux, but it irritated me. Don't imply something that wasn't ever implied in the books.

Oh, and I agree with those who loved the story of the Three Brothers :) I thought that looked really cool and awesome.

Indeed. That was REALLY well done!

Ron getting a kiss from Mrs. Cattermol was a kick ** scene! :)

Agreed! Usually I take issue with scenes inserted into the movies that weren't in the books, but I got a huge laugh out of this (and I was all broken up/overemotional to begin with and needed the laugh anyway :) ).

That was so funny! I'm glad they put it in there!

Loved the acting from all three, but I'm going to have to disagree with you a little on the Daniel count. I think it had more to do with his appearance than his acting (because I'm shallow XD apparently), but this was the first movie where I didn't feel like he was 100% in character Harry all the time.

And I have to disagree with. From the third movie on, I've thought that Emma and Daniel over-acted WAY too much. Hermione was always so shriek-y, and Harry was full of wizard-angst. It wasn't as bad in this one. I didn't LOVE the acting, but I didn't dislike it, either. Overall, I found then pretty on par. I've always thought Rupert was amazing, and I think he did a good job in this one, too.

11/28/2010 #15
Il'Diko

And I have to disagree with. From the third movie on, I've thought that Emma and Daniel over-acted WAY too much. Hermione was always so shriek-y, and Harry was full of wizard-angst. It wasn't as bad in this one. I didn't LOVE the acting, but I didn't dislike it, either. Overall, I found then pretty on par. I've always thought Rupert was amazing, and I think he did a good job in this one, too.

My opiniontoo. But this time Emma was good, Rupert was amazing and I didn't mind Daniel being in the movie! ;) And yes, I might be shallow too, but he isn't Harry Potter (in my eyes...). Off topic, but the kid who plays James Sirius is the perfect James Sirius! :D

Oooh and am I the only one who liked the actor who played Harry in the Ministry? The way he walked, the faces he pulled! Epic! :-P

And youare right Wendy, there isn't any proof in the books for Harry/ Hermione.... Every time I read them, I only see Ron/Hermione. But they have done the movies as if there was something between Harry and Hermione, so they had to insert that dancing scene (like the Harry comforting Hermione scene in HP6, after Ron got together with Lavender) to explain that there isn't anything between them, if they wanted to stay canon...

11/29/2010 #16
tangled sentence

Just saw the Harry Potter movie last night! MAJOR SQUEE! I adored it. Thank god, since the last two movies were crap, it's about time we got a good one again. I've only skimmed this thread because I'm at school and don't have a lot of time, but I missed i) the scene between Harry and Big D shaking hands, ii) Harry freaking out on Remus and Remus explaing that Tonks is pregger, iii) and I wish they had explained if that damn sexy Snatcher was Greyback because my best friend and I are toally arguing about it. He seemed to have Greyback's role to me. What do you guys think? As for the scenes I thought were awesome i) the dance scene between Harry and Hermione, ii) the death of heroic Hedwig, iii) and the race scene with Hagrid where they went onto the Muggle roads.

edit: I forget the Story of the Three brothers. Man, if they made a book of those drawings I'd give an arm! Amazing.

12/1/2010 . Edited 12/1/2010 #17
Fatalyst

/unquote

I was extremely bothered by Mad Eye's death in the movie. Found that sort of odd.

I also find it odd that the part where Ron smashes the Slytherin necklace horcrux isn't as controversial as it was for me. I mean, that was pretty durrrrn graphic right there. I mean, they were naked and holding each other and I think my memory might be bad but IIRC Hermoine was groaning.

The fact that Harry had a shadow throughout most of the movie made me want to laugh every time we had a close up of his face. And herp derp I felt no chemisty between Harry and Ginny AT ALL. I'm pretty disappointed with the movie. But then again, the book chemistry isn't really all that great either. I'm just of the opinion that Rowling randomly decided half way through to make them a pair and didn't go about it really well.

Why haven't they divided the movie into parts from the very beginning? It seems it would have been more reasonable to make the book into a weekly television series instead of a movie.

12/1/2010 #18
Wendy Brune

You know, that's a good point, Josh. I completely forgot about how they were naked in the movie. That bothered me a little too - it didn't quite mesh well with the book, in my opinion. It's like they were trying to make the saga sexier, but it's not about sex. Or something.

This post makes no sense.

12/1/2010 #19
Luna Rapunzel

Figured out one of my problems with the movie franchise.

When I think of Harry Potter in the books, I think of the guy who was embarrassed for the Weasleys to take him to his Gringotts vault and tried in vain to block the heaps of gold in it from their view. When I think of Harry Potter in the movies, I think of the guy who flirts with Muggle waitresses and enjoyed the idea that being the Chosen One was attracting Romilda Vane's attention before Hermione smacked him upside the head with a newspaper and knocked sense into him. Movie!Harry can be kind of a douche. Book!Harry has his fair share of problems, but he's a sweetie with good intentions.

12/11/2010 #20
Shuna

I was highly disappointed with how Peter Pettigrew wasn't chocked by his own silver hand. In the book it had a clear symbol. But here it seemed like he was only stunned. I also think that they should have let Harry and Nagini talk "English," since Harry can't distinguish the languages.

Speaking parshelmouth (sp) in that scene was way too suggestive, even for me who has read the books.

12/12/2010 #21
Il'Diko

Yeah, I agree Shuna, I thought, that he would talk 'English' too... And I was highly disappointed with Wormtail not dying, I mean, what? That was pretty significant....

And your are right EHWIES. Moovie Harry is like the fanon!James, a flirt.... (while Harry should be in nature like Lily)...

12/14/2010 #22
Shuna

I think I will maim if Wormtail just suddenly disappears from everything in the next movie.

12/14/2010 #23
Luna Rapunzel

I remember that for COS, in the duel scene where Draco conjures the snake and Harry talks to it, they had it sound like Parseltongue instead of English so that the audience would know what was going on--I think they were just going for continuity by having them not speak English, so I can understand that. But I totally agree about Peter's death. He's a coward, but I stand by the fact that he had redeeming qualities and wasn't a monster, and his death scene and the loyalty that he shows in it, however small, were something that I loved in DH.

12/14/2010 #24
Shuna

But at the same time, Harry and the snake spoke English in the first movie, so it would not be uncontinuaty. And add more suspense.

12/15/2010 #25
Il'Diko

I just read on mugglenet:

Deleted Scenes

- The Burrow's Shed: Ron Discusses Radios with Mr. Weasley - The Dursley House: Harry and Aunt Petunia As They Leave House - The Dursley House: Harry and Dudley Shake Hands - The Granger House: Death Eaters Search Deserted Home - Ministry of Magic Lifts: Harry Tells Arthur He's Being Tracked - Tent: Trio Discusses Destroying The Locket - Rabbit Chase in the Forest - Montage: Ron and Hermione Skimming Stones

So, there was a Harry shaking Dudleys hand scene... It's to bad they deleted it...

And I would have love to see the Death Eaters searching trough the Granger's house and the trio chasing a rabbit scene!

1/23/2011 #26
my best enemy

I was extremly annoyed by them leavng out Dean. Acually, i was annoyed by very many things. Argh.

1/23/2011 #27
c.sheep

I really enjoyed the movie. (Saw it twice.) Absolutely loved the three brothers animation sequence. Cried through Dobby's death (twice). Maybe I'm being a little nitpick-y but the trio had quite the wardrobe despite being on the run/camping. I get that Hermione packed but she didn't know how long they'd be on the run for. They were all also supremely underdressed for cold weather. Otherwise, this has to be my favorite out of all the movies so far.

4/13/2011 #28
Wendy Brune

CINDYYYYYYYYY.

4/14/2011 #29
SiriuslyPeeved

So, there was a Harry shaking Dudleys hand scene... It's to bad they deleted it...

I just got the DVD... I bawled when I saw the Dudley and Petunia deleted scenes. Just adding in one or both of those 45 second snippets would have made the beginning of the movie so much less choppy. I wanted to go hug Petunia. Or punch her maybe, but that's the way that character affects me... lol! All highly recommended. (The special feature about Dan Radcliffe, the Phelps twins, and Rupert Grint playing golf together was pretty funny as well)

4/28/2011 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: Wendy Brune GeorgyannWayson, Luna Rapunzel, The Real F'n Scorp, Madam'zelleGiry, ShadedRogue, The Reviews Lounge Too
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member