The Reviews Lounge, Too
A forum for The Reviews Lounge, Too community, which promotes reviewing of all stories and spotlighting talented writers. Don't forget to read the rules and introduce yourself first!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Wendy Brune

So, after a too long hiatus of Story of the Week, we are officially reinstating this activity. To quote from the old thread...

Basically, each week, a mod will post a story from the Reviews Lounge archive that they think is worthy of more reviews. Everyone is encouraged to then review the story and discuss it here if they wish. However, off-topic conversations don't count, and will be deleted by a mod. It only takes five minutes, and I'm sure the author will appreciate it a lot.

To address a few concerns that some of you guys have expressed:

• We won't kick you off the forum or anything like that if you don't participate, but it's really important to us mods that everyone (or at least the forum regulars) review the selected story each week. The whole purpose of having the RLt forum and community is to promote reviewing under-appreciated stories, and the Story of the Week is the perfect opportunity for us to do exactly that. Besides, if you have the time to socialize on the forum every day or week like a lot of you guys do, you certainly will have enough time to devote (at most) a quarter of an hour, one day a week, to R&Ring a quality story--it wouldn't be in the archive if we didn't think it was worth reading!

•Even if the SotW isn't from a fandom that you follow, we ask that you still R&R it.You typically won't need a lot of prior knowledge about the fandom to follow and enjoy the fic that we choose. At most, you might have to look up the fandom on Wikipedia just to get an idea of the story's setting, but we promise that you'll enjoy the story whether or not you're especially familiar with its fandom.

•If the SotW is a WIP, we only ask that you review one chapter per week.We understand that, while you may have time to R&R a one-shot, it's a little much to ask you to read a novel-length fic, but we don't want the WIPs in the archive to be neglected. To that end, if and when we do choose a WIP as the SotW, you'll only have to read it one chapter at a time, though you can read ahead if you'd like; the story will recur as SotW every few weeks so that everyone keeps reading. Keep in mind that if you do read more than one chapter of a SotW, please review every chapter that you read--otherwise it'll be a long time before any WIPs graduate from the archive!

The Story of the Week will be chosen and posted every Monday by one of the mods, and you'll have until the following Monday to R&R it. Again, please make the effort to review every week: it doesn't take much time, and both the mods and the story's author will really appreciate it!

------

For mod use (SotW schedule):

May 6 - Giry

May 13 - Cass

May 20 - Wendy

May 27 - Darkin

June 3 - Mega

8/17/2011 . Edited by ShadedRogue, 5/6/2013 #1
Wendy Brune

Current Story of the Week: Counting off your heartbeats by Megageeko [GRADUATED]

Previous Stories of the Week:

• Week of August 14th, 2011 - Not Quite Myself by Desktop Warrior - [GRADUATED]

• Week of August 28th, 2011 - Within the Walls by Mrs.GingerHinkley - [GRADUATED]

• Week of September 12th, 2011 - Jamie by Fractaledsymmetry - [GRADUATED]

• Week of September 19th, 2011 - The Healing by crsg - [GRADUATED]

• Week of October 3rd, 2011 - with quiet words i'll lead you in by -qaby- - [GRADUATED]

• Week of January 9th, 2012 - The Same as it Always Was by Mackenzie L - [GRADUATED]

• Week of January 16th, 2012 - Family Pride by Bad Mum - [GRADUATED]

• Week of January 30th. 2012 - Ohio by respitechristopher - [GRADUATED]

• Week of February 12th, 2012 - Control by Permanent Rose - [GRADUATED]

• Week of May 28th, 2012 - Procyon by Prone to Obsession - [GRADUATED]

• Week of June 4th, 2012 - by the awful grace by Fialleril - [GRADUATED]

• Week of June 18th, 2012 - Soul by CatBru - [GRADUATED]

• Week of June 25th, 2012 - Play by MessengerOfDreams - [GRADUATED]

• Week of July 2, 2012 - Masterpiece by cloverhand - [GRADUATED]

• Week of July 9, 2012 - Meet Me Under the Mistletoe by MrsTater - [GRADUATED]

• Week of July 16, 2012 - Let Immortality Begin Again by McJunker - [GRADUATED]

• Week of July 23, 2012 - Wrong Number by Lynse - [GRADUATED]

• Week of July 30, 2012 - The Inspection by wordybirdy - [GRADUATED]

• Week of August 27, 2012 - The Thing in the Bottom by ECGordon - [GRADUATED]

• Week of September 3, 2012 - A Field of Buttercups by TheWordFountain - [GRADUATED]

• Week of September 3, 2012 - Decisions by Slytherin Head - [GRADUATED]

• Week of September 10, 2012 - Iceberg by Rita Arabella Black - [GRADUATED]

• Week of September 17, 2012 - Azula Always Lies, by Infinitely Silver - [GRADUATED]

• Week of October 1, 2012 - Why Haymitch Drinks by truthsetfree - [GRADUATED]

• Week of October 8, 2012 - Insomnia by Outlander [GRADUATED]

• Week of October 15, 2012 - Contrition by Flaming Kitten - [GRADUATED]

• Week of October 22, 2012 - Crasher Wake by St. Elsewhere - [GRADUATED]

• Week of October 29, 2012 - Mortality by Aleine Skyfire

• Week of November 5, 2012 - While You Were Asleep by Araceli L - [GRADUATED]

• Week of November 12, 2012 - I Remember by Esther A2J - [GRADUATED]

• Week of November 19, 2012 - Home Alone by Susan M. M. - [GRADUATED]

• Week of November 26, 2012 - Digits by Villainy - [GRADUATED]

• Week of December 3, 2012 - Quest for Royalty by tetekanui [GRADUATED]

• Week of December 10, 2012 - Mortality by Aleine Skyfire

• Week of December 17, 2012 - Snow and Angels by Rosawyn - [GRADUATED]

• Week of December 24, 2012 - Justice is Done by Nimbus Llewelyn - [GRADUATED]

• Week of December 31, 2012 - Speak Now by Romeo.Cinderella - [GRADUATED]

• Week of January 7, 2013 - Sorority by Omnicat

• Week of January 14, 2013 - Thorn of Camorr by Min Daae [GRADUATED]

• Week of January 21, 2013 - The Long Road by Rivergift - [GRADUATED]

• Week of January 28, 2013 - Dine with Me by GoldFountain [GRADUATED]

• Week of February 4, 2013 - Quest for Royalty by tetekanui [GRADUATED]

• Week of February 10, 2013 - Jealousy is a Fruitcake by wordybirdy - [GRADUATED]

• Week of February 18, 2013 - Driving Lessons by Ace of Gallifrey - [GRADUATED]

• Week of February 25, 2013 - I Was Supposed To Go First by Padfoot3456 - [GRADUATED]

• Week of March 3, 2013 - orthodox by Tune4Toons

• Week of March 11, 2013 - Dinner First by mirage24

• Week of March 18, 2013 - The Last Resort by allismine [GRADUATED]

• Week of March 25, 2013 - Remember by violaclaire [GRADUATED]

• Week of April 1, 2013 - The Best Man by lights-on-the-lake [GRADUATED]

• Week of April 8, 2013 - Coldness and Burning by Rosa Cotton - [GRADUATED]

• Week of April 15, 2013 - Puppets on Strings by n00b-masta2112 - [GRADUATED]

• Week of April 22, 2013 - Creeper by Kaz McDonell Miller [GRADUATED]

• Week of April 29, 2013 - Strangled by Basser

• Week of May 6, 2013 - Wedding Gift by CrazyTenor42 [GRADUATED]

• Week of May 13, 2013 - Freckles by Satiah

• Week of May 20, 2013 - Butterfly by Rory4 - [GRADUATED]

• Week of May 27, 2013 - Furry Iron by Marie Nomad [GRADUATED]

• Week of June 3, 2013 - Counting off your heartbeats by Megageeko [GRADUATED]

-------------------------------------------------- -----------------------

• See old thread for SotW from Feb 22nd, 2010 - October 25, 2010

8/17/2011 . Edited by The Reviews Lounge Too, 10/13/2014 #2
Wendy Brune

Our very first story of the week is Not Quite Myself by our very own Desktop Warrior. This beautiful Pokemon one-shot features many beautiful descriptions and absolutely fluid writing. For those who are not familiar with the Pokemon fandom, never fear! Read up on Mew Two on Wikipedia and you should be good to go. You do not want to miss out on this gorgeous piece of work.

8/17/2011 #3
xoxcrescentmoonxox

Just R&Red Not Quite Myself. I admit, I was a closet Pokémon nerd through middle school, and am awed at the depth given to the characters in this story. The writing is beautiful also. Great choice, Wendy!

8/17/2011 #4
Avora SaDiablo

This is odd... I can't find this thread unless I go through the link, but says that I'm in the same forum....

Is confuddled.

Edit. I am a complete and total blonde at heart idiot. Pay no attention to my random incoherant babble /fail

8/27/2011 . Edited 8/27/2011 #5
E.C. Scrubb

Well, being new to this forum, I thought I'd be my bashful self and dive right in. . . and go and review.

I have absolutely no idea about the universe written about, as I said in the review. But it allowed me to focus on the crafting of the words a bit more. I was very impressed. I think I should go see if there's anything more written by this person. . . in a universe I understand! (Why do I sound so old? When did that happen?)

8/28/2011 #6
xoxcrescentmoonxox

The story of this week is in the Harry Potter fandom: Within the Walls by Mrs.GingerHinkley. Written from the point of view of Azkaban prison (what?!) as Bellatrix Lestrange goes mad, it's a haunting and intriguing read.

8/28/2011 #7
Ikrona

Great choice! This is a really well done fic, I love how the first person perspective is used. Longer review on the fic, but in short-- I love it!

8/28/2011 #8
E.C. Scrubb

Gave it a read. Quite interesting. I've never thought about viewing Belletrix from that perspective, or seeing her as someone I'd even remotely want to know more about. But this story made me interested in her.

8/28/2011 #9
Avora SaDiablo

Yay, one from a fandom I know (I feel pathetic) but god I loved it!

It was so full of emotion, I couldn't help but get comepletly sucked in. I really hope they do continue, it was amazingly written.

8/29/2011 #10
ShadedRogue

This week's story is a short and sweet piece that has been in the archive for a long time and could really use some more love: Jamie by Fractaledsymmetry.

It's a short one-shot based on what would happen if Captain Hook had a son, and he and Wendy (not OUR Wendy ;D) met. It's a little bit bittersweet, but an enjoyable read.

9/11/2011 . Edited 9/11/2011 #11
ShadedRogue

This week's story is The Healing by crsg. It's a relatively short, but lovely, piece about the relationship between Remus and Sirius from their time together in Hogwarts up to the time when Sirius finally escapes from Azkaban, and how they're trying to heal despite everything that's happened.

9/20/2011 #12
StoryGirl02

So, I'll admit, I haven't had time to read Cass's pick for SToW, buuuuuuut I will get around to it! :)

This week's story is with quiet words i'll lead you in, by -qaby-. It is a Quinn/Puck one-shot, from the fandom Glee and it is amazing! It's short, but incredibly poignant, so read on.

10/2/2011 #13
Wendy Brune

GUESS WHAT'S BACK? Story of the Week! =)

This week's story is The Same as it Always Was by Mackenzie L. It's been our SoTW before, but only Crescent and Diko, neither who are sadly super present right now, reviewed it. Therefore, I'm bringing it back. It's in the Titanic fandom, but you don't need to know an OUNCE of the fandom, other than the boat sank and some rich guy named Benjamin Guggenheim was on it. (So there's no sappy romance with Jack and Rose, etc.) If you've seen the film, then Benjamin is the guy who wouldn't put a life boat over his tuxedo because he said something to the affect of, "We are dressed in our best and we are prepared to go down like gentleman." You later see him looking surprised at the water.

I also think this is a great story to jump start our Reviewathon because its got EXCELLENT character development. Also, you need to have no understanding of the fandom whatsoever to understand and appreciate this story, so it's something everyone should be able to read and review.

This is the only story where a review starting today, Monday the 9th, can count towards your reviews. You are responsible for putting it in your thread.

Feel free to discuss the story here! XD

1/9/2012 #14
Desktop Warrior

Better late than never, this week's story is Family Pride by Bad Mum. It's a nice little piece focusing on Andromeda Tonks (mother of the more famous Tonks in the Harry Potter series, and sister to Bellatrix and Narcissa), and what 'family' meant to her over the years. Like the last SotW, it has great character development, and doesn't require you to know too much about the fandom to enjoy it.

1/17/2012 #15
Susan M. M

How many do you consider enough reviews? I read the two most recent stories of the week, and reviewed them, as requested. However, both of them had so many reviews that under normal circumstances, I wouldn't have bothered reviewing unless I considered the story outstanding. When a story has twenty-plus reviews, does it really need more? I'd rather review a story that hasn't any reviews, or only one or two. That author will appreciate it more.

Or did they only have so many reviews because of the Story of the Week request?

1/30/2012 #16
ShadedRogue

Susan, when a one-shot story reaches 20 reviews we consider it graduated and move it into the Graduated C2 community. Multi-chaptered are considered graduated with 15 reviews/chapter. The SotW when they were posted would not have been graduated, and are probably graduated now because so many people have reviewed them recently.

For everyone else: I'm going to be posting the new SotW in a bit, so stay tuned!

1/30/2012 #17
ShadedRogue

Okay, guys, the fic chosen for this week is Ohio by respitechristopher. It's a Daria fanfic, but it's also an important address of the university shootings in Mississippi during the 1970s and addresses a lot of really important social and political issues.

1/30/2012 #18
Rosawyn

So...there was a story of the week during the blackout?

1/30/2012 #19
Desktop Warrior

Yeah, there was. I linked to it during the couple hours on Jan. 17th when the site worked.

I say we still count it as a SotW (worth three points if you review it), but I'll have to consult with the other mods.

1/30/2012 #20
Luna Rapunzel

Mk so I'm the worst mod ever and missed my week, so here's your belated next Story of the Week: Control by Permanent Rose (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5897391/1/Control because this website hates my browser and it's not letting me embed links anymore). Have at!

2/12/2012 #21
truthsetfree

Control by Permanent Rose

4/12/2012 #22
SiriuslyPeeved

I reviewed that one and totally loved it. Any chance of reviving Story of the Week once finals / etc are over? :)

4/25/2012 #23
Wendy Brune

Yes! That's actually on my to-do list...along with another fun idea I've been toying around with. =)

4/25/2012 #24
Madam'zelleGiry

Sounds intriguing, Wendy. Any hints?

4/25/2012 #25
Ericat15
I think this is a really cool idea! I love it and definitely want in on this once a week action! Off to review "control"! Thanks for coming up with this Wendy!
4/26/2012 #26
ShadedRogue

Kicking off this jazz again, this week's SotW is Procyon by Prone to Obsession. It's a short, but sweet Doctor Who piece featuring Eleven's tendency to ramble.

ff.net isn't letting me link the fic the nice way, so here's a bunch of URL for you: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7211635/1/Procyon

5/28/2012 #27
Ericat15

Thanks! Really love this idea. I think this is my favorite forum on ff.net.

I also really enjoyed the story!

5/28/2012 . Edited 5/28/2012 #28
Spellshadow98

The Dr. Who story, Prone is adorable. I loved reading and reviewing it! What a wonderful job this forum does to find the invisible stories out there. I'm grateful they do!

5/30/2012 . Edited 5/30/2012 #29
Wendy Brune

I just reviewed! A very cute story that even those who never watch Doctor Who can appreciate!

(Also, I'm glad y'all like the concept! We should be continuing this every week!)

5/30/2012 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Wendy Brune GeorgyannWayson, Luna Rapunzel, The Real F'n Scorp, Madam'zelleGiry, ShadedRogue, The Reviews Lounge Too
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member