The Reviews Lounge, Too
A forum for The Reviews Lounge, Too community, which promotes reviewing of all stories and spotlighting talented writers. Don't forget to read the rules and introduce yourself first!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Wendy Brune

I meant to do this WAY earlier, but since it's the last week, I figured let's go big or go home!

Use this thread to discuss your adventures during the Reviewathon. Did you find a gem in the archives you just HAVE to discuss? Were you surprised at how quickly you racked up points? Did you have a heartwarming - or hilarious - response to one of your reviews?

Did the Great Forum Blackout of 2012 screw you over? (Yes yes yes.)

Last week! WE GOT THIS!

--

WELCOME TO REVIEWATHON 2013 WHAT WHAT

2/5/2012 . Edited 7/7/2013 #1
Rosawyn

Yes, I think it screwed everyone over. :P

Were you surprised at how quickly you racked up points?

I'm not even sure how many points I have racked up, because I haven't been added them up.

...so, when is it officially over then? EDIT: never mind, I went and read your post in the Reviewathon thread. :P

2/5/2012 . Edited 2/5/2012 #2
Emily Mae

I LOVE the Reviewathon! I think it was a great idea and it really made me feel involved in the community. I'd also never really looked into the archive before and I was impressed with the quality of the stories I found there. Overall I had a super fun time participating and the whole ordeal reminded me of why I like fanfiction, writing, review, and this forum in the first place! So...good work mods! ^_^

2/6/2012 #3
Inkfire

I LOVE the Reviewathon! I think it was a great idea and it really made me feel involved in the community. I'd also never really looked into the archive before and I was impressed with the quality of the stories I found there. Overall I had a super fun time participating and the whole ordeal reminded me of why I like fanfiction, writing, review, and this forum in the first place! So...good work mods! ^_^

What she said. ^_^

2/6/2012 #4
Madam'zelleGiry

Yes, it did. But there was nothing that could have prevented it so we're no blaming the mods. ( :

Well...I haven't added up yet but I've found that the Reviewathon really made me want to continue reviewing.

I'm so glad that this happened! I feel like I've been able to help my fellow authors and receive some excellent reviews myself! Everyone's been so lovely and I'm just glad that I participated. Thanks so much for setting this up, mods! Lovely!

2/7/2012 #5
Wendy Brune

Well...I haven't added up yet but I've found that the Reviewathon really made me want to continue reviewing.

This makes me very happy. =) Honestly, I haven't been able to do much with this because of school and life, and I feel pretty terrible about that. It's rewarding, though, to see that we're making at least a bit of difference, you know?

I'm so glad that this happened! I feel like I've been able to help my fellow authors and receive some excellent reviews myself! Everyone's been so lovely and I'm just glad that I participated. Thanks so much for setting this up, mods! Lovely!

D'awh. Thank you for sharing!

2/9/2012 #6
Rosawyn

Unless I'm doing my math really wrong, it would appear that I currently already have 148.5 points, which is well over the minimum for prize level 5. I guess that's good news (for me anyway lol). I was going to do some more panic-mode reviews as the Reviewathon comes to an end...maybe I still will. lol

2/11/2012 #7
Megalink1126

Unlocking this thread just in case anyone wants to talk about Reviewathon related stuff. So if you find a great story you need to tell people about or are having trouble keeping up that reviewing and need a bit of motivation or really anything in between, feel free to post it here! :D

7/7/2013 . Edited 7/7/2013 #8
SunnyStorms

Can I ask clarification questions for the Reviewathon here too?

I have three:

1) Unlike for the RT, there's not a strict word count minimum we have to adhere to correct?

2) If reviewing a multichapter, can we just link to the review page in general or do you want us to link separately to the review page for ch1, ch2, and so on?

3) If in the course of the Reviewathon, a fic in the archive gets enough reviews to graduate, does our additional reviews to that same story count?

Thanks!

7/7/2013 #9
ShadedRogue

Sunny,

1. No, there is no word count. The requirements we have is this:

"try for at least three or four sentences. We suggest at least using a sandwich method, including your overall thoughts, one thing you liked, and one thing you thought could be improved. Try to be thoughtful and helpful. Reviews like "OMG this is amazing i loved it write more" will not count."

2. We'd prefer the latter, but it's not a strict requirement.

3. As long as the fic is still in the WIP, M-rated, or one-shot/two-shot archives we will accept the reviews even if it is technically graduated. However, once a story has been moved to the graduated archives, it will no longer count for reviews.

7/7/2013 . Edited 7/7/2013 #10
starlight.moon.princess

I'd like to clarify something about the Reviewathon please :)

If a fic is moved to graduate archive while the Reviewathon is in progress, will any reviews before the movement be counted?

7/8/2013 #11
Madam'zelleGiry
If a fic is moved to graduate archive while the Reviewathon is in progress, will any reviews before the movement be counted?

If it is a multichapter (WIP) that is not complete, we will not be moving it unless the number of reviews becomes really high. Otherwise it's just too hard to keep track of whether or not the average stays when the fic is updated.

If it's a oneshot/twoshot, we're trying to graduate them as soon as they get the required number of reviews so that it doesn't get confusing. If you see that you've given it the last review, do let me know, and I'll move it. :)

7/8/2013 #12
StrawberryDuckFeathers

One story I particularly enjoyed from the One-Shot Archives that I feel like mentioning here was Fallen (Death Note) by Captain Zangano. I rarely ever find fanfics about Teru Mikami, and I think he's quite an interesting character, so it's a real shame- and this one is based on the ending to the anime as well, and I think that one was one of my favourite episodes. :D

I really loved the way this story was worded, and the connotations with Christianity were something else I thought worked well in it. There's a brilliant sense of graudal increasing madness within Mikami, to the point where actually starts licking Kira's blood, like he wants to have some of 'God' inside him. I really liked the viewpoint of Light as it was described in this story as well. Whilst most stories try to balance the viewpoint, which is interesting, this one stuck to the viewpoint of the main character in the story, which was completely one-sided, and it matched Mikami's views of Light so well. I think it's my favourite one I've reviewed yet, but I also liked One Hundred Pages of Death and Unthinkable Acts a lot as well.

The Reviewathon is great fun, even if I am much further behind than most of the other participants, but I don't mind it since, after all, at least people are getting more decent feedback on their work now, thanks to this! I suppose adding the competitive side to it urges people to write more reviews, which is great, because I think people need to learn how to write reviews in the amount of detail that the rest of you write it in! If only more people had all of your incredible dedication to reviewing... :O

Thanks to the mods for letting me take part in this!

7/8/2013 #13
Megalink1126

So you're asking something like if you review a one-shot that only has 16 reviews at the time, and then three other people all jump in and review the same story right after you so it gets 20 reviews and graduates if your review would still give you points, yeah? The answer is yes, of course. We're not going to count it against you if a fic you review graduates after you review it. Same thing if a one-shot has 19 reviews and you supply the 20th, your review will still count. It's only if a fic gets graduated and removed from the archive it is in to the graduates archive and then a day or so afterwards you try and go review it that it wouldn't count. Hope that clears everything up. :)

7/8/2013 #14
Madam'zelleGiry
One story I particularly enjoyed from the One-Shot Archives that I feel like mentioning here was Fallen (Death Note) by Captain Zangano. I rarely ever find fanfics about Teru Mikami, and I think he's quite an interesting character, so it's a real shame- and this one is based on the ending to the anime as well, and I think that one was one of my favourite episodes. :D

Oh, I loved that one as well. I didn't know the fandom at all, but it was really well written.

7/8/2013 #15
Wendy Brune

Hmm, if I had to pick a favorite thus far, I think it would be home by Tune4Toons. It's a three-chaptered Super Smash Brothers story written only in dialogue, but you don't need to know the fandom at all, really, to understand the story. I hate dialogue-only stories because they're usually not done that well, but this is brilliant. BRILLIANT. The way she sets the mood and the tone without any describing prose just blows me away. This is one of the stories where you might actually cry. I really cannot say enough good things about this piece.

The Reviewathon is great fun, even if I am much further behind than most of the other participants, but I don't mind it since, after all, at least people are getting more decent feedback on their work now, thanks to this! I suppose adding the competitive side to it urges people to write more reviews, which is great, because I think people need to learn how to write reviews in the amount of detail that the rest of you write it in! If only more people had all of your incredible dedication to reviewing... :O

Thanks to the mods for letting me take part in this!

You're probably beating me. XD

No, I'm so so impressed with how involved everyone's getting, as well as the quality of reviews people are submitting. If I had to say one thing that I was most proud of with this forum, it'd be how people have made a great effort in improving their review quality. Of course, Strawberry, you're probably the one everyone could learn from. XD You should pop into the How to Write a Review thread and share your knowledge!

7/8/2013 #16
Wendy Brune

Oh, and I'm scarily impressed with how many points everyone has. EVERYONE is going to reach the top prize level. XD

7/8/2013 #17
StrawberryDuckFeathers

@Wendy: Aww, thanks so much! I'm glad my reviews are adequate for the Reviewathon, and I'm glad you think they're good. :D I've been learning a lot of everyone else as well, mostly to pay more attention to characterisation, something I tend to forget about a lot. :) I learn a lot from the good ol' guys over at the Harry Potter Hardcore Concrit Challenge as well.

Turns out I didn't write something on the 'Beyond Good Job Update plz!' thread that was particularly detailed, so I did. Thanks for letting me know about it! :D

7/8/2013 . Edited 7/8/2013 #18
starlight.moon.princess

Of what I've reviewed till now - a paltry five fics, to be honest - my favourite would have to be Puppets On Strings, a Hunger Games poem. It's really rare for me to find poems that are - well, poems, not freeverses, and it was a lovely change to read that.

Beyond that, the author characterized the feelings of both the tributes and Katniss very well, which I'm guessing would have been hard to do in a poem format.

To the mods: I hover around the Review Tag forum and am barely ever here, but I'd like to thank you guys for this too. It's loads of fun, and it's pushed me to read through the community, something I doubt I would have done without this :3

7/8/2013 #19
Madam'zelleGiry
Oh, and I'm scarily impressed with how many points everyone has. EVERYONE is going to reach the top prize level. XD

No kidding! You guys are all absolutely amazing, and I love each and every one of you for how much you've been doing! Keep up the fantastic work!!

Of what I've reviewed till now - a paltry five fics, to be honest - my favourite would have to be Puppets On Strings, a Hunger Games poem. It's really rare for me to find poems that are - well, poems, not freeverses, and it was a lovely change to read that.

Oh, I love that one as well. I remember finding it a while ago and realizing that I just had to add it to the archives. It was too good not to!

7/8/2013 #20
StrawberryDuckFeathers
No kidding! You guys are all absolutely amazing, and I love each and every one of you for how much you've been doing! Keep up the fantastic work!!

You're welcome! I'm having fun doing this. :D And I got a lovely review reply yesterday from one of the people I reviewed for the 'thon, which is great, because I love review replies. :D

Ooh, I'm completely fandom blind on the Hunger Games, but I love reading fanfic poetry. I can see what you mean; it's hard to find ones that are freeverse, and for me, as fun as poetry is to write, it's so damn hard to write it well. XD I'll be sure to review that one then!

7/8/2013 #21
Megalink1126

Let's see... My favorite fic that I've reviewed so far would probably have to be with quiet words i'll lead you in. It's a Glee fic, a show that I don't watch or really know all that much about, but the characterization and the way the author wrote it just really blew me away. And it only needs a few more reviews to graduate, which it definitely deserves. :)

Also, as a bit of a programming note, I did a quick review tally, and if my math is correct, we all collectively have submitted over 300 reviews in about a day and a half, which is super amazing! Not only that, but it's about half of the total amount of reviews that were submitted for last year's Reviewathon, so we're on pace to not only break it, but to pretty much utterly destroy that record. Keep it up guys, you're all doing amazing! :D

7/8/2013 . Edited 7/8/2013 #22
Madam'zelleGiry
Let's see... My favorite fic that I've reviewed so far would probably have to be with quiet words i'll lead you in. It's a Glee fic, a show that I don't watch or really know all that much about, but the characterization and the way the author wrote it just really blew me away. And it only needs a few more reviews to graduate, which it definitely deserves. :)

Ooh, thanks for the rec, Mega. I'll check that one out.

Also, as a bit of a programming note, I did a quick review tally, and if my math is correct, we all collectively have submitted over 300 reviews in about a day and a half, which is super amazing! Not only that, but it's about half of the total amount of reviews that were submitted for last year's Reviewathon, so we're on pace to not only break it, but to pretty much utterly destroy that record. Keep it up guys, you're all doing amazing! :D

See, what did I tell you? You guys are incredible. I can't tell you guys how big my smile gets every time I see you update your posts with your reviews. I'm going to keep gushing until this is done... Big hugs for everyone!

7/8/2013 #23
Tune4Toons

Wait, how much now?! Holy cripes…!

Well I'm glad I got to reread my favourite story KoS. It's a Kingdom Hearts fic, but it might not be for everyone as it's pretty dark with some pretty intense content, but I've been able to read so many awesome fics, including one Cam kept recommending to me for ages: Firefly (A mario fic, an awesome mario fic that I'll continue reading after lunch haha, she lacks so many reviews though and I think she totally deserves more haha XD)

7/8/2013 #24
StrawberryDuckFeathers
lacks so many reviews though and I think she totally deserves more haha XD)

Oh my, the amount of people whose stories I read who are terribly, TERRIBLY underrated... :(

I know, I can't believe we managed to write all of these reviews. And we're a pretty small group as well, so with that said...Imagine how much review counts would be on FF if everyone bothered to post reviews like that. Now that'd be awesome. ;D

7/8/2013 #25
MissScorp

I'm not sure if anyone else has read this one-shot yet, but I just read a Sherlock one-shot by BundiBird that I think is just fantastic (and I know bats all about the fandom!). It's called Dying from the Exit Wounds for anybody interested. It has become my most favorite story that I have read and reviewed so far.

And I am seriously enjoying this Reviewathon. I've gotten a chance to read some stories that I never woulda have tried reading before and introduced me to a few new authors that I will be reading more from in the future. I'm honestly glad I joined this Reviewathon and feel like the real prize has been the quality reading that I've gotten to enjoy (but I am a weirdo... heh)

Oh my, the amount of people whose stories I read who are terribly, TERRIBLY underrated... :(

I think a lot of people tend to stick with authors they know and trust, or stick with story formulas that work for them

7/8/2013 . Edited 7/8/2013 #26
StrawberryDuckFeathers
I think a lot of people tend to stick with authors they know and trust, or stick with story formulas that work for them

Yeah, that's true. :) And you're not wierd for thinking that's the real prize of the comp- I think your outlook is lovely. :) I'm thinking less of the prizes and more of hopefully helping people and upping my review count. I'm trying to get to 1000 by the end of my summer holidays, and at the moment, I'm on 767 in total. :D

Also, the author of Text Messages, PrincessVictory, gave me a review back as a thanks, which I thought was sweet. :)

7/8/2013 . Edited 7/8/2013 #27
MessengerOfDreams

So very fun to see all the stories I added get love, especially Firefly, which I've pimped the hell out of for at least 30 million years.

7/8/2013 #28
IrishPanther

Wow...I have to say that we as a group are doing an amazing job at reviewing! Keep up the great work...and the competition; it should be fun to see who wins this whole thing! :)

7/8/2013 #29
infiniteworld8

Okay, so the reviewathon is amazingly fun, (and I need some fun in my life now) but I have to problems.

One : I can't figure out how to edit my post to put in a link to the specific review. I can put in a link to the reviews page for that fic, but not one for my specific reviews.

Two: I reviewed a Firefly-fic and got a nasty PM back inn return from a person who as far as I know isn't the author, while the actual author PM'd me and stated he/she disagreed but wasn't nasty about it. Anybody else received nasty PM's yet in response to their reviews for this reviewathon?

On a nicer note, by my Tally I'm at 118 points. Which is great since I'm going to have to slow down and write some papers for school.

7/8/2013 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Wendy Brune EHWIES, MissScorp, Madam'zelleGiry, darkin520, ShadedRogue, The Reviews Lounge Too
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member