The Reviews Lounge, Too
A forum for The Reviews Lounge, Too community, which promotes reviewing of all stories and spotlighting talented writers. Don't forget to read the rules and introduce yourself first!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
singer22498

I do have a question, though...how do I politely tell someone that I have no interest whatsoever in co-writing with them?

Since you have never met the person, I'm guessing you could just say no. Though if you want to be nice about it, you are probably going to have to lie. Say you'll beta, or if you don't even want to do that; just tell her you already have too many requests and such. Plus, Rosa, you got kids and stuff right? =excuse #2.

Also, since you've never met them, that's a reason. You could just explain how you feel uncomfortable and don't know how you can co-write with someone you've never met.

but I don't want to be mean, so how do I say no without discouraging her from writing?

To not discourage her from writing, maybe beta it? Or say you'll review and keep an eye out for the story? I've beta-ed a couple stories, and trust me, they weren't very good. Apparently my ideas were good though; I had one guy wanting to have me write a chapter, like a sort of co-write thing, but I ended up saying NO. Like you, I had never met the kid, nor knew anything about him. I still beta-ed and helped him with ideas though, and reviewed a few of his chapters. Made the kid happy.

It's alright to be a little blunt, but just... try to explain your thoughts in a nice way, and give her the benefit of the doubt.

4/16/2012 #5,971
songstar13

I mean, the answer is a resounding NO, but I don't want to be mean, so how do I say no without discouraging her from writing?

You could tell her that while she is a great (if that is applicable) writer, you don't think your writing styles mesh well enough to attempt a collab. Or pull the old 'I'm too busy' card. Or maybe tell her that you've got enough on your hands with the stories you're already working on.

4/16/2012 #5,972
singer22498

All you lurkers feel free to jump in and be all random!

We like the company. =-D

I CAN BE RANDOM!

I'm not really considered a lurkerish tho.. I'm not sure.

GAH THIS IS CONFUSING. It's too late in the night for me to be doing this! GAH. Algebra homework has fried my brain.

4/16/2012 #5,973
Rosawyn

Is there a point where you get so behind on sleep that your body just says "f*** it" and bypasses the tired stage?

I think that might be the point my friends and I used to call "lack-of-sleep hyperness". Also, have lots of fun at your prom! ^_^

/doesn't know Spanish.

I know a bit of Spanish, but not enough to follow the conversation. :P

Communism: something that could work if the majority of people in the world weren't selfish and/or lazy.

^

/apparnetly there wasn't all that much to reply to in the backlog

/now to reply to you all who replied to me...

4/16/2012 #5,974
songstar13

Also, have lots of fun at your prom!

Thanks! :D

4/16/2012 #5,975
Rosawyn

She sounds young ._.

Could be, but she must be old enough to have watched the X-Men movies that actually have Wolverine and Rogue in them... Not that she couldn't have seen them years and years after they came out, but still.

I'm flattered that you'd like to co-write something with me, but I generally don't do that. I'd be happy to beta for you, and I'd be willing to help you think your way around sticky plot points or give you pointers. Besides, since this is your first fic, you'll want to hold it up as your own, right? I'm sure it will be great.

:P You are so much better at this than I am.

Plus, Rosa, you got kids and stuff right? =excuse #2.

LOL! Yes, that is an awesome excuse, I mean reason. XD

You could tell her that while she is a great (if that is applicable) writer, you don't think your writing styles mesh well enough to attempt a collab.

She doesn't have any fics posted and says she's never written a fic before, so. :/

Or maybe tell her that you've got enough on your hands with the stories you're already working on.

Yeah, those stories she (most likely) hasn't read, so she actually has no idea if I'm even a good writer. :P Honestly, I'm not quite sure why I'm so offended that she asked me to co-write with her when she hasn't even read my stuff, but I am. :[

It's too late in the night for me to be doing this!

Maybe try to get some sleep? :/

4/16/2012 #5,976
ToManyLetters

*responding way late, got distracted.*

Ai sa.

Yeah. It was a bit silly, but *shrug*.

Get ú rum?

ai sú•pouz ui câl.

uen•di al•sou dúz•nt laik ús tak•îng ðîs uei....

Yeah, but we're trying to be discreet, here. I think it's warranted on some level. Besides, I think a little use is still amusing and that she'd probably be okay with it as long as we provide a "translation".

4/16/2012 #5,977
ToManyLetters

I'm off; got things to do.

Hi/bye Time!

Angel Beats is one of the best anime I've ever watched.

It's pretty damned good. Kanade for the win!

4/16/2012 #5,978
songstar13

/sigh

Why is this taking so long???

/still working on Spanish homework

/shot

4/16/2012 #5,979
Rosawyn

So...did Time just come into the thread and then delete his own post? Did I just try to reply to Time's post only to have my post get all confused and refuse to post?

/confused

4/16/2012 #5,980
ToManyLetters

Yeah. He EXTERMINATE!ed his post.

4/16/2012 #5,981
Rosawyn

Well, I'm off to eat, but I hope to catch you online again soon, Song, because I was gonna ask you if you ship any of the older guy/younger girl ships that I ship. XD (That was you who said you had the fetish, right?)

4/16/2012 #5,982
songstar13

(That was you who said you had the fetish, right?)

SHIP ALL THE FETISHES.

Yeah, that was me.

4/16/2012 . Edited 4/16/2012 #5,983
lilgenious

I check out my email and find myself overwhelmed with science courses to get ready for this September. I have to take a virology prep course in one of three areas in France: Paris, Lyon, or Strasbourg... I will be among thirty seven students who are getting into the program itself. The first class takes place next Monday and will go all through the summer until I move to Canada. This should be fun... oh and biology!

4/16/2012 #5,984
Rosawyn

Yeah, that was me.

Okay. :) So...do you watch Game of Thrones and/or read the novels it's based on? Because...Drogo/Daenerys, Sandor/Sansa, and Gendry/Arya? Also, have you seen Avatar: the Last Airbender? I very much ship Iroh/Ming, which my sister tells me is "gross," despite the fact that Ming is clearly an adult (at least early to mid 20s), so...not "gross" imo, regardless of if Iroh's old enough to be her grandfather. Also, Iroh may be old, but he's HOT. 8D And Iroh/Ming is just so adorable. ^_^

edit:

lil, that sounds like fun! Hope you enjoy and do well in all your classes. :)

4/16/2012 . Edited 4/16/2012 #5,985
lilgenious

Rosa: Thank you! I am really excited for this. I decided that I want to move on with my life and even though my higher ups argued that they need me, they realise that I am a grown woman who can make my own decisions and be extremely hardheaded while doing so. They wished me the best of luck and also told me that anytime I want to get a job as a virologist that they will always have a spot open for me.

*smiles*

I still have to watch Game of Thrones but I read the books! *scribbles down a date when I can watch the TV show*

4/16/2012 #5,986
Rosawyn

I still have to watch Game of Thrones but I read the books! *scribbles down a date when I can watch the TV show*

I haven't read the books, but the show is awesome. ^_^ Arg, speaking of the show...I haven't seen this week's episode yet! Gotta wait for my kids to go to sleep, because this show isn't one they can watch. :P

4/16/2012 . Edited 4/16/2012 #5,987
ToManyLetters

but he's HOT

Only because he's a fire bender. /cat

4/16/2012 #5,988
lilgenious

Speaking of Game of Thrones, how is your forum doing Rosa? I think I may have the right person... looks just to be sure.

Yes I know... I am horrible for not watching the shows *bad lil!*

4/16/2012 #5,989
Rosawyn

Only because he's a fire bender. /cat

:P No, he's hot because he's wise and athletic and makes awesome tea.

Speaking of Game of Thrones, how is your forum doing Rosa? I think I may have the right person... looks just to be sure.

Yeah, I'm the right person, but my forum sucks. :P No one posts there any more (not that many did ever), but I spend all my time here anyway.

4/16/2012 #5,990
songstar13

So...do you watch Game of Thrones and/or read the novels it's based on?

No, I haven't started in on that fandom yet. But I've been hearing so much about it that I'm probably going to at some point.

Iroh/Ming

I never got far enough into Airbender to see much of Ming, though I know who she is. But...I would have to agree with your sister. My version of the fetish is milder; I don't think I'd go above a 15 or 20 year difference.

4/16/2012 #5,991
songstar13

Only because he's a fire bender.

Hey, hey, hey. Zuko is the hottest character on that show. /shot for bad pun

4/16/2012 #5,992
ToManyLetters

Okay, Song, I said I would post some of TB's awesome random. Here you go!

TotalBiscuit Sings Santa Baby.

TotalBiscuit plays Magicka with the Yogscast.

TotalBiscuit plays Terraria with Jesse Cox.

WTF is... Super Crate Box?

The TGS Podcast, Episode 1.

4/16/2012 #5,993
Rosawyn

But...I would have to agree with your sister. My version of the fetish is milder; I don't think I'd go above a 15 or 20 year difference.

Wow. I mean, I don't even have a "fetish," and Iroh/Ming is awesome. Maybe it's because I don't have a fetish? I mean, I just see them as two characters who obviously have a lot of chemistry and such. Also, I know at least one person in real life who married a man who has grand kids older than she is, so maybe my perception is just...different? Also, what about parings like Angel/Buffy, where the age difference is more like a couple hundred years? Or, Doctor/Rose, where it's closer to 800 years difference? Is it just because Iroh *looks* old that it's gross?

4/16/2012 #5,994
songstar13

TotalBiscuit Sings Santa Baby.

He has quite the voice. O.o

4/16/2012 #5,995
ToManyLetters

Or Aang/Katara where the difference is close to 100 years...

/awesome canon

x.x

He has quite the voice. O.o

He really does.

4/16/2012 #5,996
Rosawyn

Meh, maybe I'm weird, but I've always thought old guys like Capitan Picard were really hot. *shrug*

edit:

Or Aang/Katara where the difference is close to 100 years...

/awesome canon

Exactly. ^_^ lol

4/16/2012 . Edited 4/16/2012 #5,997
songstar13

Is it just because Iroh *looks* old that it's gross?

This is probably it. It seems super shallow, but then, isn't our entire society based on appearances? I'm not saying I agree with it, but I'm a victim of my culture, I suppose. /shrug

It also might be different for me since I'm so young compared to you. We probably have very different conceptions of what constitutes "old."

Angel/Buffy

Doctor/Rose

Call me deprived, but I don't know these pairings, so...

4/16/2012 #5,998
pixileanin

Oh the ages... you'd think that those vampires would mature with age, but then why are they inexplicably drawn to angsty teens??

*wonders*

4/16/2012 #5,999
ToManyLetters

Call me deprived, but I don't know these pairings, so...

You, me, bed now. We have some of the Doctor to play.

*loves playing on words* /shot & /cat

4/16/2012 #6,000
« Prev Page 1 .. 190 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 210 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Wendy Brune GeorgyannWayson, Luna Rapunzel, The Real F'n Scorp, Madam'zelleGiry, ShadedRogue, The Reviews Lounge Too
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member