The Reviews Lounge, Too
A forum for The Reviews Lounge, Too community, which spotlights the excellent stories in our archives and promotes reviewing all stories without the promise of getting a review in return. Don't forget to read the rules and introduce yourself first!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Wendy Brune

January 4th: I no longer have any invites, but many of our members do! Feel free to ask in this thread! =D

---

If you don't know what Archive of Our Own (AO3) is, it's essentially another fanfiction site. It's got some really nice features - a better tagging system, less constraints, etc - so I've been personally using it to back up my stuff.

It is, however, invite only.

I know some of you wanted to be invited, and I just got four! I can probably request more, but for now, if you're interested, just post here. Rachel might have some, too, so hopefully we can get everyone.

6/1/2012 . Edited 1/4/2013 #1
MalkieriJester

I would love to have another outlet! Anything that broadens the chance for criticism and advice!

6/1/2012 #2
Aspiring Hobby

Yes! Me too!!!

I would really like to be invited to that site and have some help full criticism over there!

:)

6/1/2012 #3
The Death Frisbee

Shoot me one, if you would like. Thanks! Can people who post here for an invite offer invites of their own once they sign up? If so, I'd certainly be willing to do that.

6/1/2012 #4
The Bitter Kitten
If you please, Wendy! And once I get some invites I'll spread the love.
6/1/2012 #5
darkaccalia520

Yes, please. I'd like one. Thank you. :)

6/1/2012 #6
SiriuslyPeeved

I guess I would like one as well... just to check it out.... Thanks so much! --hearts--

6/1/2012 #7
StormyMonday

I took a brief tour of AO3 last night, and I think I like it (as much as I could see on my phone anyway). If anyone can spare an invite, I'd love to have one too. But...I did sign up for a site generated invitation. Would that interefere with a personal invite if someone were so kind to provide one?

6/1/2012 #8
CF Vici

I am interested, but I see there are already way more interested than available invitations. I'm due to get my invite Sept 15th. If anyone can spare one before then, I'd gladly accept.

6/1/2012 #9
lilgenious

I am already on Archive of our own so if Wendy needs anybody to help then I can send out invites as well. I found out where to go and what to do I think. It may take awhile but I can definitely help if anybody wants to get on the site.

6/1/2012 #10
Accidentally The Whole Fanfic

To answer a few questions:

1. Invites don't overlap/interfere... to my knowledge, anyway. I originally signed up for the waiting list, but since it said "September", I just asked around the AO3 community on dreamwidth. Got an invite from there, was able to sign up and post right away last night.

2. Members CAN request a number of invites for them to personally dole out at their discretion (though it does take them a moment to generate the invites for you). I currently have five I'm giving out to the first five commenters on the dreamwidth community, and I plan to do five more at a time when those run out (I could do it here, but I do lose track of things very quickly). I'm not sure what the upper limit is, if any - I've seen people giving out ten at a time.

6/1/2012 #11
darkaccalia520

What is dreamwidth?

6/1/2012 #12

Basically, DreamWidth is LiveJournal with a different name and look. I'm not sure if there are any other real differences beyond the cosmetic.

6/1/2012 #13
darkaccalia520

Oh...well, thanks for explaining it. I don't have accounts for either of those, so that doesn't really help me in the way of an invite. But, thanks for explaining some things.

6/1/2012 #14

Well, it only takes a quick moment to sign up for either. Or I could request another invite code and PM it to you when I get it.

6/1/2012 #15
darkaccalia520

I might on a day when I have more time since I'm writing with intent of posting today. And I would greatly appreciate an invite. However, if you're going to do that, then I ask that you go in order of the postings since this thread is for people asking for invites...and by fairness should be first come, first serve. Thank you for thinking of me though. :)

6/1/2012 #16

EDIT: I'll just leave this to the ones who've got it running. Think I'm biting off more than I can chew trying to help out two very different areas at the same time.

6/1/2012 . Edited 6/1/2012 #17
bleachers

in order of the postings since this thread is for people asking for invites...and by fairness should be first come, first serve.

There were some people who asked in the chat thread; they'll probably get priority.

I have eight.

6/1/2012 #18
darkaccalia520

Well, I asked in randomness yesterday, here today. What does that mean?

I'm sure Wendy'll figure it out.

6/1/2012 #19
Asase

I will take an invite if their are any to spare.

6/1/2012 #20

I will take an invite if their are any to spare.

Alrighty, check your inbox. That's the only one I can spare for now until more come in, though, but I'll let you all know when I get more.

6/1/2012 #21
darkaccalia520

I thought we were going to be fair with this. :/ Do you realize how many people were just skipped?

6/1/2012 #22
CF Vici

What I would really like to know is how all these different places measure up in terms of audience and readers. It sounds to me like writers are using it as a back-up and still posting here, or they're only using it for stuff they can't post here because of the rules (songfic, NC-17, etc). So far, I have not written anything that is anywhere near danger for rule violations. So the more relaxed rules there means nothing to me. I have tried LJ, but the fandom I write in is almost dead there except for occasional dribbles and people making/sharing artwork. The folks who do write fanfic all post it here and then put up links on LJ! So to me, there is just no real point to posting fic on LJ. I am wondering if the same might be true of AO3.

I already have backups. Everything I write is automatically backed up on Dropbox every time I close the DOC file (which is also on my HD, of course). I post finished chapters on my own website. When I finish a story, I always get a paperback made for myself, plus I convert to MOBI and drop a copy on all the Kindles in the house (currently 4 of them). I also mail the MOBI file to Amazon and keep a copy in their cloud so I can always get it again if I need to. And I periodically backup my HD with a jumpdrive and I email files to my googlemail archive. I am absolutely obsessive about backups!

So no, I don't really feel like I need yet another backup. What I am looking for is a venue where there are readers who wouldn't see my work otherwise. Does anyone (besides the people who have rule issues) use AO3 as a SUBSTITUTE for FFN instead of a backup?

I guess I won't know until I post there and I can't post there until someone has an extra invite to share, but it would be nice if anyone who already uses the site would share their experience as far as whether they're finding new readers there and if the readers are as supportive.

6/1/2012 . Edited 6/1/2012 #23

I thought we were going to be fair with this. :/ Do you realize how many people were just skipped?

Dunno if this was directed at me, but I asked people who had posted here before to post whether or not they'd already received invites, that way invites don't get sent to someone who already has them. And I was of the impression that you meant you would rather get an invite later, though I think I misread your post. I can send you one if you want, it was just a misinterpretation.

6/1/2012 #24
bleachers

Cass and Rosa requested in the chat, from what I see.

6/1/2012 #25
darkaccalia520

Cass and Rosa requested in the chat, from what I see.

So did I. I asked Wendy last night in randomness.

6/1/2012 #26
darkaccalia520

Dunno if this was directed at me, but I asked people who had posted here before to post whether or not they'd already received invites, that way invites don't get sent to someone who already has them. And I was of the impression that you meant you would rather get an invite later, though I think I misread your post. I can send you one if you want, it was just a misinterpretation.

Well, it kind of was. You need to give some of these posters more than a few hours since they might not be online at the moment. Also, again, I think you need to check with Wendy or Marsy...whoever has invites available before you decide who gets them. I just thought this was going to go as a first come, first serve basis. If people are going to pick and choose out of order, well, that just doesn't seem right to me.

I am on their 'waiting list', so I'll get a place eventually, but I would like one sooner rather than later. Yes, I would like an invite, but I would not feel right taking one if I knew that someone who had asked before me didn't get one first.

That's my opinion, but maybe it doesn't matter.

Sorry for getting annoyed with you. I just want to see this go fairly, that's all.

6/1/2012 #27

I'd like to see it go fairly too, but there's no really perfect way to organize this on here. Either way, I think I'll just leave this up to the people already here to avoid any further mess.

6/1/2012 #28
bleachers

As it is, you'll need to PM your e-mail address to get an invite. If you want, you can go ahead and PM me and Wendy and I'll discuss/give them out in terms of fairness.

Remember to space the emails out in the PM!

6/1/2012 #29
darkaccalia520

Ugh, if we need to PM you or Wendy, what's the point of this thread?

I am sorry for getting annoyed, but it seems very unorganized right now....

6/1/2012 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Wendy Brune GeorgyannWayson, Luna Rapunzel, The Real F'n Scorp, Madam'zelleGiry, ShadedRogue, The Reviews Lounge Too
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member