The Reviews Lounge, Too
A forum for The Reviews Lounge, Too community, which promotes reviewing of all stories and spotlighting talented writers. Don't forget to read the rules and introduce yourself first!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Wendy Brune

Unsure how to use document manager? Can't figure out how to create a forum? What the heck is a C2?

We're here to help! Feel free to ask any technical questions you might have here; someone should get back to you!

6/6/2012 . Edited 11/27/2013 #1
Justice Tokidoki
I am curious about C2s. Their communities, right?
6/6/2012 #2
Miss Shad

On that note, how does one delete a C2 they have created? I have one I no longer want...

6/6/2012 #3
Justice Tokidoki
Also, i'd like some help regarding forums. how exactly do you post them and how long does it take for the forum to show up? does it even come up on the first page?
6/6/2012 #4
Wendy Brune

Before I go to bed, let me try to answer these questions! (Bolding the questions in case anyone in the future is scrolling/curious.)

What is a C2?

A C2, also known as a community or archive, is essentially a way for users to make lists of fanfictions. It might be a list of your favorite fanfictions, or maybe a list of great Harry/Hermione stories. You can add whatever you want, and give your friends permission to add to the archive, as well. Other users can view your lists, or even subscribed so that they're updated when something new is added.

Here is one of our archives if you're curious to see the layout. (And if you want to read some under-reviewed but quality stories!)

How do I delete a C2?

I can't find a way to do this, and google isn't giving me any answers, either. The only thing I can imagine is that you could delete every story and rename the archive if you're tired of it. The "Info/Guide" tab under Community says that there's a remove button, but I can't find it. Feel free, anyone, to correct me if I'm wrong.

How do I create a forum, and what is the process behind it? How does a forum get to the first page?

To create a forum, go to your login page and click the tab labeled "Forums." Under that subheading, click the tab labeled "My Forums." You'll see a little form (ha) to fill out, and boom, you've got a forum. Return to this same tab any time you want to edit your existing forums.

The forum will be created immediately, though it'll be buried in almost a thousand pages of forums. Before about half a year ago, all forums were ranked by the number of posts automatically, meaning that those on the front page were posted in the most. Users can change the ranking settings, but I don't know how many truly do. Currently, for what appears to be General Forums only, the first six forums are sorted by "Relevance" automatically. No, I have no idea what relevance means, especially since the order has shifted in the past six months. Because of this, for example, we're ranked number three, despite having the second lowest post count in the top six.

Hope that helped.

6/7/2012 #5
lilgenious

I can give you a yahoo answers page that has a link for how to delete a community. I found that it helped when I deleted the community for the Alexandre Dumas fanbase that I created years and years ago.

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100418101909AAvEtLQ

This actually was really, really useful to me.

6/7/2012 #6
TheFictionFairy

I have a question about links in forum posts (you've probably noticed my issue if you've seen any of my other posts). How do you hyperlink text? Whenever I try to link to my stories, the system doesn't allow me to make the story title the link/I can't figure out how to get rid of the really long link that it shows automatically. I'm pretty technology-dumb so... yeah. Help? Please?

6/10/2012 #7
Byoshi

Hey TheFictionFairy! I'm quite excited about this because it's one of those rare and special occasions I actually know the answer to a question...!

You can put in text hyperlinks by highlighting the text you want linked (e.g. a story title) and then there's a little button in your post box (next to styles, I think) that has the icon of a mini chain. By clicking that, you can paste in the web url, hit OK, and your selected text should go blue to confirm there's a hyperlink.

ff.net is a bit temperamental with forum posts, though, so there might be times when the site won't let you do this. If that's the case, you can manually put in the hyperlink by going into html mode -

[a href=http://www.story.com] Link [/a] (use less than / greater than tags instead of square brackets)

...but we usually just say ff.net is being screwy and leave it as a long link anyways :)

Hope this helps!

6/11/2012 #8
TheFictionFairy

Thank you so much!

6/11/2012 #9
SiriuslyPeeved

Hey! With regards to linking, it also makes a big difference which browser you use... I have a Mac and an iPhone and Safari refuses to let the rich text stuff work in any platform, so I have to use the HTML editor and code links by hand. Chrome will let me use the rich text drop-downs though. The site is going through a lot of changes right now so patience is called for (and don't feel bad, it's driving the long standing members nuts as well ;) ).

6/12/2012 #10
SiriuslyPeeved

I realize this might not work on all phones / tablets but its worth a try. It also seems kind of Captain Obvious, but hopefully it will be helpful :)

FYI for iOS users: If you choose "Regular Site" at the bottom of the mobile page, you will be pushed back to the standard browser version of the site. If you navigate here by going through the Forums -- General link, you should be able to edit your posts and stuff.

If you like browsing the mobile version or somehow find yourself pushed into it when it comes time to post, try changing the "m." extension to "www." and removing the "/m/" directory from the URL. You should get a regular browser version of your post window.

Example:

Mobile version:

https://m.fanfiction.net/m/forum/reply.php?forumid=70706&topicid=63779903&threadid=66221325&ppage=1

Becomes regular version:

https://www.fanfiction.net/forum/reply.php?forumid=70706&topicid=63779903&threadid=66221325&ppage=1

Rich texts, quoting, links, etc. are still crap on the mobile version unless you can tolerate hand coding in the HTML window with a mobile keyboard. (haha, yeah. It has to be a really special occasion to try that. Like page claiming. /shot by Wendy :D ). But, at least you'll have line breaks in your posts and be able to edit :)

HTH, feel free to pick my brain if needed!

7/10/2012 . Edited 7/10/2012 #11
Rosalina's Twerk Team Captain

For you guys on mobile devices!

If you're on a mobile device and want to get on the forums, USE THE REAGULAR SITE.

To enter, type, [<<] p [>>] all together without brackets or spaces.

To bold, it's the same, with a b in the middle. Same goes for underline and that other thing.

Any questions?

7/11/2012 . Edited 7/11/2012 #12
darkaccalia520

Someone asked how to do links like this:

The Reviews Lounge, Too

So, here are the steps.

1. Type out whatever you're trying to link to, such as the title of a story.

2. Open up a new tab (if it's not open already) and go to said story. Right click on the address and click copy.

3. Go back to the previous tab and highlight the words that you had typed out. Then, above, see where it says Styles? After that is a little chain link, binoculars, etc. Click the little chain link. A box will appear.

4. Click in the box where it says Link URL. Right click and select paste. Then, click Insert.

5. You have just done a link. :)

8/29/2012 . Edited 8/30/2012 #13
JeminiaMoon

I have problems with images. That is why I don't have one.

11/1/2012 #14
Madam'zelleGiry

Images as in avatars? Do you have an image that you know you want to use?

11/2/2012 #15
Shrimpmeister

I have a couple of questions - I have a few stories I have written that have fallen into Misc Movies. How do I get those movies 'upgraded' so that they have a listing of their own? It seems like there's no easy way to promote your own stuff unless you revert to writing further variations on the Harry Potter / twilight genres - there should be an easier way to get fanfics of less mainstream / current movies in front of potential readers.

My other question relates to getting reviews - I really struggle in this, because I feel I need reviews to understand how to improve. But very few people will review stuff unless it's the aforementioned mainstream, 'trendy' themes. Any pointers would be cool.

Thanks all

11/2/2012 #16
Madam'zelleGiry

I have a couple of questions - I have a few stories I have written that have fallen into Misc Movies. How do I get those movies 'upgraded' so that they have a listing of their own? It seems like there's no easy way to promote your own stuff unless you revert to writing further variations on the Harry Potter / twilight genres - there should be an easier way to get fanfics of less mainstream / current movies in front of potential readers.

The only way I know of is to email the site. I've requested a fandom in the past and the fandom was created.

From the site:

Email:

For New Category/Character(s) Requests

Please include the following "[category]" tag in your support email subject. Please note which main category it belongs to: anime, tv shows, movies, etc. To submit new characters for a category, please use the naming standard used by the site. The site will only display the part of the character name used most often within the show and abbreviate the rest. For example, if a fictional show called 'Stars and Suns' has a character named 'Jane Doe' and the character is always referred to as only 'Jane', then submit the character as 'Jane D.'. Note the part of the name not often used, in this case the last name, is abbreviated. You can submit a character list along with your new category request

As for your other question:

My other question relates to getting reviews - I really struggle in this, because I feel I need reviews to understand how to improve. But very few people will review stuff unless it's the aforementioned mainstream, 'trendy' themes. Any pointers would be cool.

Well, if it's reviews that you want, you've come to the right forum! My first reccomendation would be to play Review Tag. If you're willing to review others, you'll get good concrit. We also have threads for promoting our work and you can rec your story for our archives as well.

There's nothing we can do to make people read our stories on their own. Forums like this have been my best source for reviews. Hope this helps!

11/2/2012 #17
JeminiaMoon
Images as in avatars? Do you have an image that you know you want to use?

Yes, avatars. I do have images that I want to use, but they're still only word documents because I can't figure out how to upload them.

11/2/2012 #18
Madam'zelleGiry

Well, you can't upload a word doc as an avatar.

Supported image file formats: .jpeg, .jpg, .gif, .png, .bmp, .tiff.

You need to convert the file. Do you have Paint on your computer? If you copy and paste the picture and save it in paint, then you can upload it.

11/2/2012 #19
JeminiaMoon
Well, you can't upload a word doc as an avatar.

Oops.

You need to convert the file. Do you have Paint on your computer? If you copy and paste the picture and save it in paint, then you can upload it.

No, I don't have Paint, but are there any other programs that work?

11/2/2012 #20
Madam'zelleGiry
No, I don't have Paint, but are there any other programs that work?

Emmm.....there probably are but I don't know of them. I'm not skilled in the tech department. ( ;

What you could also do is do a Google image search to find a pic that you like and those are almost always compatible.

11/2/2012 #21
SimonSeville27
Yes, avatars. I do have images that I want to use, but they're still only word documents because I can't figure out how to upload them.

If you have a single image inside a word doc you want to upload, right click on the image inside of the word document and click "Save as picture" and then you'll be able to save the image as a jpg or other image file that you can upload.

If you have images and words or multiple images that you want to combine into an icon, you'll need to combine them in a picture editing program... Paint.net is free and will do the job nicely.

/Month late reply is late

12/4/2012 . Edited 12/4/2012 #22
JeminiaMoon

/Month late reply is useful

Thanks, Simon!

12/7/2012 #23
Helicarriers

I have a question for anyone who can help out. I feel really dumb in asking it, but oh well - that's what this thread is for, right? x'D

I'm working on a new chapter for Iridescent and want to insert it between chapters 2 and 3. However, I have concerns about the reviews I've received for this story. I'm concerned that if I insert a chapter in between 2 and 3 (hence this will be a brand-new chapter 3 and the previous chapter 3 will be pushed to 4, and so on for the rest of the chapters), the reviews won't ripple along with the chapters. Does this make sense? If so, will the reviews stay put with their respective chapters (since chapter 3 would change to chapter 4 once I insert the chapter, will all reviews for chapter 3 now say 'chapter 4'?).

I seriously hope that wasn't too confusing. Anyways... Yeah. Thanks guys.

1/8/2013 #24
ShadedRogue

Yay for super late replies!

Your reviews that were originally for chapter 3, will continue to be for chapter 3 even after you shift the chapter back.

2/13/2013 #25
Helicarriers

Thanks! xD Well, that's a relief to know. If I want to change my stories around or add chapters, I guess I won't have to worry about the reviews then.

2/13/2013 #26
Ragnelle

I actually think it will not shift to follow the chapters. I have not tried the moving around, but there was a story I reviewed chapter 3 of, then the author took down all the chapters but the last - to rework - and when he posted the new chapter 3, I could not review it because the old review was still there.

It might be different when you do it the way you propose, Cleuq, but it might not.

2/14/2013 #27
SonicXMinagirl
Okay so whenever I try to upload a chapter via doc manager, the document will vanish and not upload when I press the upload button. So now I have to copy and paste on an already uploaded chapter by editing it. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this because don't old chapters vanish after like 60 days? :( after all my chapters vanish I won't be able to upload anything. I hope this makes sense. Thanks!
3/5/2013 #28
TikiPrincess

I'm not quite sure why doc manager isn't working. Perhaps it's saving as the same file name instead of a different one. When you save your file, do you save as individual chapters and change the file name when you upload it to the site? For example, I upload them as STORY01, where the number is the chapter.

You can also use the Copy-N-Paste method instead of File Upload. When you click on the button, it brings up a form like the one used to post in the forums, create a profile, etc. Copy from your document onto the form and hit Submit.

As for the old chapters being removed from your list, here's a handy tip. If you've already published your chapters, then you can still access them by going to the Content/Chapters tab and hitting the export icon. It's in between the Edit and Save columns on the right hand side. That will export the chapter to Doc Manager, where you can make changes, etc, then Replace an Existing Chapter.

3/5/2013 #29
SonicXMinagirl
I usually name my chapters SB1 SB2 CMM5 HMM12 etc. (the title annitials plus chapter number) And the copy paste method should hopefully work for me then. Thanks :)
3/5/2013 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Wendy Brune Luna Rapunzel, The Real F'n Scorp, Madam'zelleGiry, ShadedRogue, The Reviews Lounge Too
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member