Mass Effect Writer's Forum
A forum to discuss the writing of Mass Effect, both official and fan-written. Feel free to take apart the story, analyze the themes and trends in the fandom, or even discuss and muse about your own writing works. Hopefully the best writers of the fandom
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
College Fool

It's a question about more than your origin profile.

Mass Effect is an RPG, as we all know, but not everyone writes like it. For every renegade, there's a dozen paragons, and they all seem identical. Shepard comes. Shepard helps A because Shepard is a nice guy. A reciprocates with words/items/help/love, and the day is saved. His origins, his history, may well have been nonexistent.

Is that really your Shepard, though? Is he (or she) really so two-dimensional?

Here's a thread to define your Shepard. What makes him tick, and why? And just how consistent is he? I don't know about yours, but my Renegade Shepard is going to betray Samara every time: not doing so is begging for her to turn on you later on.

3/15/2010 #1
AssaultSloth

I admit it, my Shepard is two-dimensional.

I see my Shepard (who is in fact the default in nearly every way - come on, default MShep looks waaaaay better than any custom one of either gender you can create. You know, because he's a scanned face) as a simple man trying to make everything work out. He's a good guy - maybe not the smartest guy around - who agonizes over a lot of his decisions, but ultimately is going to cow to doing the nice thing.

I try to compensate for this boringness of character by A) not including him very much and B) making sure he's flawed and emotional and full of self-doubt, even if at the end of the day he tends to do the noble thing.

3/15/2010 #2
College Fool

Actually, a wishy-washy moral person can be interesting in their own right. It gives a foil to some of the more moral characters (Garrus, Kaiden, Samara), and emphasizing the not-fullblown Paragon nature can invert the stereotype. If he's good because he's ashamed to be bad, for example, that could be very unique take indeed. What's his backgrond, if you don't mind sharing?

3/15/2010 #3
AssaultSloth

If you mean background in a strictly game-mechanics sense, then it's War Hero/Spacer, which I like because it doesn't carry melodramatic baggage. Several of the others have a lot of potential but I think tend to turn into needless drama. I like the idea that Shepard, while certainly extremely talented, is a normal, mortal man. Turns out most accomplished people in the real world didn't have their parents murdered when they were kids, didn't live on the streets in a gang, didn't have traumatic experiences involving wild animals and poorly-conceived experiments, etc. Most of them came from stable backgrounds, so giving Shepard an explosively unusual past and making him/her special because he/she managed to overcome his/her checkered past seems unnecessary to me. My Shepard was chosen for the role because he's a good soldier and leader - 'nuff said.

As for a more specific background, don't know that I've really thought one out. To tell you the truth, I don't sympathize with Shepard that much in the game. He comes across to me as something of an anonymous, character-less narrator. You get to be basically one of two personalities. Shepard's character isn't important to me in an ME fic insofar as it is good enough not to detract from the NPC's who, I'd argue, are the real stars. In my own writing I want to portray Shepard in a realistic manner, because he still IS a character, but he isn't one I intend to use more than I have to.

Bring on the ALIENS.

3/15/2010 #4
Universitas

My Shepard is the type that tries to be Paragon, but certain types of people and events bring out the more Renegade-like actions that his past with gangs ingrained in him (though he would probably deny that), making him more Paragade. He's basically rejected the gang part of his past after enlisting in the Alliance and is nearly obsessed with "deleting" it forever.

3/15/2010 #5
Random Equinox

My Shepard, as demonstrated in my Mass Effect fanfic, started out as a Spacer who wanted nothing more than to stay as far away from conflict as possible, keep his head on his shoulders and live to a ripe old age. Unfortunately, he keeps winding up in situations that risk life and limb (usually his). While he has done his best to deal with such matters in as competent and professional a manner as possible, it has had the unfortunate side-effect of labelling him a Paragon and a War Hero (even though he thinks of himself as a self-centred Renegade at best, and a fraud at worst). It is his curse that he's stuck with that reputation, even though it frequently drags him into disaster after disaster, because the alternative is simply unthinkable.

It doesn't help that he has certain kleptomaniacal tendencies and an insatiable curiosity that drives him to explore every nook and cranny, find out everything he can about a person or subject (even if it means yet another hazardous mission), and swipe anything he can find (regardless of whether it's locked up).

As a result, he is resigned to the fact that the universe is determined to throw him into every meat-grinder that pops up, simply to satisfy its seriously warped sense of humour.

3/15/2010 #6
College Fool

Ah, yes, the Caphias-Cain type unwilling hero. Good one, with a lot of deconstruction of typical RPG elements going on (item collection, area exploration, etc.).

I've been wondering, though: is he a coward? It's something I've been meaning to ask in reviews of late: for someone who allegedly tries to avoid danger at all costs, there haven't been many times he's heroically hidden behind cover from the rear. I think I can only remember one time he did that to play sniper, which was balanced by a number of times he charged in the front lines.

3/16/2010 #7
CrazyMorbidity

Just to say my mind, I find pure renegades or paragons both 2D... unless the character itself is fleshed out. My renegade character Jillian is very 2D in my mind, her only purpose in life to be a b*** and nothing else explaining why she acts the way she does. But my 'paragon' character Janelle, she doesn't simply do good because she's a 'nice girl;' she has her own belief about what actions are and are not appropriate. Nor are all her actions 'white.' She'll delve in the gray and even black areas of decisions, taking the first shot if she feels certain that there is no other way for a situation to proceed. And she'll b*** a person out if he/she does the same to others.

She's a spacer (mostly because I don't need her to be so emo -_- ), her naive mother (Zabaleta does mention such) would have instilled a belief to always do good while her father (whom I imagine as strict) would have enforced her tendency to do was it right at all times. But Janelle is not so naive as her mother, especially after enduring Akuze (because I didn't want her to be a ruthless sort of person nor to have an ego of being a war hero, so here I did go the emo route -_- ). Since Akuze, she has a more brutal view on life and a determination to survive (taking the first shot, killing whom she finds an irredeemable character), though the latter also leads into her keeping a hold of whatever she has, including friends, going out of her way for someone she trusts as she regrets being unable to help her friends that she lost on Akuze. But she is more reluctant to do something for someone untrustworthy.

I don't know if she's what other's consider as 3D, but to me, she's at least got reasons and motivations behind her actions. And she's not constrained to one moral spectrum. She's more likely to do the 'right' decision as she has no desire to see things grow worse than they are, but she does have a temper that can get the best of her, thus has a tough time dealing with people that can't learn from their mistakes.

There's prolly more I could say, but I have evil class coming up, so I'm off.

3/16/2010 #8
Random Equinox

CollegeFool, I think this is where my version of Shepard deviates from Ciaphas Cain. My Shepard "claims" to be a self-serving fraud, and an utter coward. But when push comes to shove, as you and quite a few other people have noted, my Shepard's usually the first into the fray (and he wonders where this Hero rep comes from!). He's also much more interested in finding out about and reporting on stuff, regardless of whether it affects him personally or not--something that Ciaphas doesn't do.

I will try and keep an eye on things, and see if I can guide things down a more "Ciaphas" path. Having said that, if my Shepard naturally grows and evolves down a separate path, there may be only so much that I can do to correct that. I'm just a civvie, after all!

3/16/2010 #9
College Fool

I'll admit that I'm having some delimma over my Renegade Shepard, which is causing me some trouble.

For those who've read it, it's clear I see him as a 'end's justify the means' guy, but also as a Greater Good guy as well. However, I'm also in the position of wanting to impress upon the audience that He Is Not A Nice Man. If you knew what was in his head, you might be disgusted. He is amoral, should be two steps away from being a pyschopath, and only a single, irrationally held belief (Greater Good) from being a monster.

For context, something I hope to do at a future point is give a Renegade interpretation of a Shepard/Tali relationship: Renegade Shepard doesn't have romantic feelings for Tali, but intends to manipulate her youth and affections in order to use her status in the Quarian Fleet to his advantage: she is the daughter of an Admiral, possibly in line to become one herself (IIRC), is well respected throughout the fleet regardless, and playing her heartstrings is a means to throw the Migrant Fleet into the Reaper War. Shepard even goes through an entire process of learning to woe a Quarian in order to seduce/pretend a 'normal' relationship.

For another example, a one-shot AU in which the Collectors recover/ressurect Shepard, and use his psychosis and 'morals' (and intimate mental contact with the Human Reaper) to turn him for the Human-Reaper process by, over-simplified, showing him that the Human-Reaper is an ascended existance of humanity that defies death, making it the most logical path for enabling the most lives as organics inevitably die and live in misery. Because more humans 'live' in the Reaper than would outside of it, he willingly allies with Harbringer, no indoctrination involved.

That's clear, in what I intend. What's missing is the execution, and part of that is in just how, and why, Shepard is the way he is.

I've considered, for example, that he's simply a guy who gets off on the misery of others. But that isn't him at all: I envision someone who's not so much hateful as numb to emotional stimuli. Love, hate, are distant things that touch him only in the rarest conditions. The sort of person, in a sense, who would get nothing out of an Asari melding, because the 'triggers' for emotional (and even physical) stimuli don't exist. In the same fashion that Grunt knows what Krogan should like, but has no connection, Shepard could receive sensations, but get nothing out of it. Cliche, perhaps, but it's my take. But I'm trying to figure a basis for it.

One possibility, for example, is damage from Mindoir. Shepard may have been an unusual kid before, but injuries from Mindoir (trapped in the burning rubble of his own home) did something to his brain and nervous system, along with the mental trauma involved. With this possibility, the writing emphasis is that Mindoir marks a before/after point, and most of Shepard's behaviors might be attributed to damage, and conceivably be 'fixed' through some means. Renegade Shepard isn't himself, but someone damaged in a way that is useful for the Galactic Powers that Be. Conceivably, it could be 'cured'.

Another is natural chemical imbalance. For various reasons, as they grow and mature some people's bodies don't produce the chemicals most people have, and it can effect behavior. Steroids make people aggressive, deficiency of hormones can lead to lack of interest in social activities or even sex, can even alter mindsets from over-emotional to emotionally dead. Shepard's behavior, a result of natural biological failures, can be altered/changed by regular intake of medicines that he otherwise refuses.

Related to chemical imbalance, but a different emphasis, is mental disorder of some sort. But besides what I can look up the definitions of (like characteristics of psychosis), I'm not familiar enough to decide on what. While in real life many mental disorders can be thought of and treated as the result of chemical imbalance, in terms of writing it's a 'natural' state. Shepard has always been like this, and most likely always will unless major changes are forced.

These may seem similar enough, but I feel I need to finalize why Shepard the Renegade is unlike people on the most human levels. He's not 'whole', or what we would see as whole, regardless. He doesn't think like a healthy person, doesn't form attachments, in a sense shouldn't even feel personal desires on the level we do. But I'm struggling to define why.

Thoughts?

3/22/2010 #10
AssaultSloth

Myself I'd lean towards option 3, that Shepard is basically a psychopath, and has been since birth. The second I consider to really be the same thing. The first just strikes me as too unbelievable and unnecessarily dramatic - I know that head injuries have had interesting mental effects in the past, but that's extremely uncommon and reading it would turn me off, at least. The idea that Shepard has a mental illness feels very plausible and simple to me. Further, it isn't hard to believe that, even if the condition were congenital, the events on Mindior exacerbated it. Mindoir could still represent a huge turning point in Shepard's character without requiring the implausibility of him having been completely normal beforehand.

A better question, I think, is why does this psychopath so tenaciously cling to the greater good idea? What put that in his head?

3/23/2010 #11
College Fool

Myself I'd lean towards option 3, that Shepard is basically a psychopath, and has been since birth. The second I consider to really be the same thing. The first just strikes me as too unbelievable and unnecessarily dramatic - I know that head injuries have had interesting mental effects in the past, but that's extremely uncommon and reading it would turn me off, at least. The idea that Shepard has a mental illness feels very plausible and simple to me. Further, it isn't hard to believe that, even if the condition were congenital, the events on Mindior exacerbated it. Mindoir could still represent a huge turning point in Shepard's character without requiring the implausibility of him having been completely normal beforehand.

---

Thanks for the pointer: I'd like to avoid the biggest cliche possible, at least. I'll certainly think on it.

---

A better question, I think, is why does this psychopath so tenaciously cling to the greater good idea? What put that in his head?

---

Part of it, at least, is that there isn't a rational reason for him to do so. Not really.Part of the danger of being captured by the Collectors, for example, is that Harbringer would expose it in a way that Shepard could not avoid.

Why? I have some ideas on that front. It may well come to a mix of fear and trust.

1) Going on the 'different from birth', one thing I think affected Renegade Shepard as a kid was that he was different from others. He was the creepy kid, the one others avoid, but like any person he tried to fit in, only it doesn't work. As a child, Shepard tries to do good in hopes that it will help him make friends, only it doesn't work out well. I have a scene where a young Shepard hears some kids crying that their pet has run into the woods, and so Shepard sets fire to the forest to scare the pet out. It works, but-

Reason one: Loneliness. As a child, Shepard tried to help others because he wanted to make connections.

2) Shepard's parents left a mark on him. They loved him, did their best to raise him, and while he was distant, he trusted them and so they shaped his thoughts. I envision Colonist Shepard's parents (or one of them) as a civil-servant, and that he was brought up with a strong emphasis of helping others before himself.

Reason two: Upbringing.

3)I think Shepard met someone, probably former Alliance, who inspired him. That's my opinion for all Shepard's, but in mine, I think it was a At-All-Costs Renegade soldier of some sort. He would have been the one to impress upon Shepard the Absolute Rules of the Greater Good, and give a intellectual foundation. All lives are equal, therefore thou shalt save the most possible or else it discriminates against the few, to take one. Another is, If you are convinced you are right, holding back due to the appeals of others is compromising justice. A mentor figure, if only briefly known, who lays the foundation for what Shepard will become.

Reason three: Trusted Mentor.

4) The consequences of NOT acting for good. At some point, Shepard will know/suspect why he's not like others, but what really drives the point home is the fate of people he sees like himself. Namely, how they act, hurt others, and are promptly and completely hunted down and killed. Probably emphasized by the Mentor, there's a simple message there: those who forget their place, who don't remember their role, die. Shepard, at some point, accepts that he can either turn his habits to good use and serve the Greater Good and be valued for it, or be hunted down.

Reason four: Self-preservation.

I think these are all true, but for the most part I think only 3 is something Shepard is regularly cognant of, mainly in that he thinks alot about what's best. However, while he holds his own sort of code, he doesn't have a reason for it anymore: after Mindoir, the reasons why it came together are gone. He isn't looking for friends or acceptance, he doesn't have the people he trusted more than himself to guide him. Self-preservation is there, but after a point Shepard comes to have something of a invincibility complex. It's actually common in those with psychosis, a belief that they won't be caught/stopped/outmatched, but in Shepard's case it's reinforced by that he is great at what he is. Survival is somewhere deep in his mind, but it's a terror of being without use (and therefore hunted without refuge) rather than fear of bullets.

At this point, Shepard's code is held together by inertia from his childhood, maintained by an unhealthy obsession and self control to not even think about why.

I imagine that it's part of why Renegade Shepard hates Asari and psychologists: they could realize just how tenuous his grip is, but worse they could make him realize it as well. I know my Shepard's murdered at least one Asari to keep the secret. (Why did he? It was after Mindoir, and part of him still wanted to be normal and Asari seemed the way to do it.)

3/23/2010 #12
Harold Trilby

I have to admit that I've not written fiction involving Shepard yet, but I have a tendency to read between the lines of the actions of the Shepard that I play as, and to sort of envision her mental processes as she does things.

I roll a Earthborn/War Hero female Shepard. So she's seen how things are at the bottom of the barrel, and how bad people can be. This has given her an edge, but it's also somewhat emboldened her to be better, to rise above her circumstances. This leads to both her enlisting in the Alliance military and her actions on Elysium. She's trying to prove to herself that despite the fact that she came from such low circumstances, and by all rights should be just as bad as the people she left behind, she can be a good person, a Paragon. She may even hope that she can be an example to others. But this desire to do good may lead to conflicts with officials when they are breaking the law and doing bad things themselves. She could become overzealous about bringing others to justice, stepping over laws to right what she perceives as wrongs. It's almost like Garrus, in a way, though not quite so extreme. And, to set up the romance my Shepard has with Garrus, that may be why she is affectionate with him, somewhat. She recognizes that the both of them can get so caught up in the desire to do good that they loose themselves on occasion. While this might not be all that bad in and of itself, it could lead them to some very dark places, such as what Garrus did when he was tracking down Sidonis. Maybe, when Shepard was helping him with that, she saw what was happening, and all the different things that had lead him to this point, her own advice about bringing in criminals possibly included in that, and how it had helped put Garrus in that situation and mindset. It might be what would convince her to try to talk it out with Sidonis, to stop Garrus from simply pulling the trigger on him, because she sees a bit of herself in Garrus and what he's doing. And if she were to let him pull that trigger and kill Sidonis, then it would be the same as her pulling the trigger and doing it. And so she might see that simply doing good, administering justice, and being an example for others can't be all there is. She realizes that she needs to soften somewhat, because she doesn't want to become whatever hardened kind of person she might be if she continues down this path. And she might externalize this by preventing Garrus from killing Sidonis, perhaps letting him see this same thing, letting him see that there is more to a criminal sometimes than just someone who commits an injustice and that it's in a sense criminal to blatantly see all people who break the law the same. And maybe, through the process of both of them learning this lesson together almost, they come to view each other a bit more affectionately than before, setting up the romance.

Wow. I did not expect to elaborate that much with just that one facet.

4/16/2010 #13
pepoluan

Let's see...

My Shepard is a Spacer/Sole Survivor, who knew nothing about life among the stars except what he's seen from his mother. So, it was almost a given when he joined the Alliance.

He's 'indoctrinated' by Alliance propaganda since an early age, but somehow felt being part of the navy is just too... casual. So he joined the marines.

Originally, not someone wishing to be a hero. He just had the situations thrust upon his shoulders.

Since he saw the Alliance as do-gooders -- and also because of all the propaganda -- he tends to view the world in black-and-white.

Until he was revived by Cerberus and bore the blunt side of the Alliance indifference. Then he started losing his footing, and started to explore the wide swath of gray.

Still, he's basically a nice guy, even a fun guy to be with. So, in terms of ME morality, he's more like a Paragade: Do good whenever possible, but in dire circumstances take whatever action is necessary.

You can see him descending into 'grayness' in my story: Explanations and Excuses :)

10/1/2010 #14
Neross-qod

Okay this is hard becuase I have several Shepards. But I guess I'll stick to my main four.

Gene Shepard : Earth-born/ Warhero, Sentinel. Female

Gene Shepard is sort of a half-rebel, half-big-sister type. Her early life was rough and full of turmoil because of the people who raised her ( first one Aunt and then another). With a life constantly in flux she turned inward and forced a sort of discipline upon herself based on the teachings of family members. So while she demands a lot of herself and others she's come to understand that the world doesn't work in perfect order. She controls her feelings and takes on the role of care-taker to those around her because it's a way to avoid looking inward (or in this case backward) and reflecting on her own problems. While she holds a deep respect for the law she also seems to understand that it doesn't always help the ones it's meant to protect. So she doesn't mind breaking a rule here and there if it means doing what she feels is right. She has a furious strive to do everything perfectly, to be as good as possible, and to never let anyone down because that's what happened to her in the past. She focuses on helping others and doing good because she doesn't want to admit to herself that she has the potential to wind up like the first woman who raised her. A murderer and a psychopath. This makes her a bit repressed which is why she enters something of a different state when on missions. She'll gladly talk someone out of whatever wrong thing they're doing...but the second it gets in the way of the greater good she's attempting to accomplish she has no problem pulling the trigger and moving on. She always regrets it later and tends to have moments of deep self-loathing...which she works out by beating the crap out of punching bags....but she'll do it without a second thought. She'll also never admit to herself...or others...but Gene has a hard time relating or feeling attracted to human men. Probably due to the only male role-model in her life being a Turian. Although she refuses to engage in romance at all (especially with co-workers or teammates) she has no problem forming deep and personal relationships, including sexual ones (so long as she can avoid going into too deep of explanations about her past).

Leda Shepard: Colonist/Sole Survivor, Sentinel. Female

Leda sees the world in a very warped Black and White. Much like a f*** or the Gentry( Celtic f*** mind you...not that b*** tinker bell. True f*** are actually rather scary) Leda in kind and good to those who are also good but is cruel and downright sadistic with those who are 'evil'. While she doesn't mind working with someone who seems slightly....corrupt...she doesn't bother to hide the fact that she would gladly shoot them blank in the face if they weren't necessary for her to carry out some higher form of good. While she doesn't see herself as a 'hero' she doesn't mind adopting that role since it all really boils down to the same thing in her mind. Be good to the good and Evil to the Evil. This is probably why she gets along so well with people like Jack, Thane, and Miranda. She appreciates the way they generally want what is good but don't mind dipping their hands in blood in order to do so...and feel no guilt about it either. Unlike Gene, who generally treats those around her with kindness and respect while still viewing them in the light of her own code of morals and beliefs, Leda is bluntly honest and completely pulls herself away from expecting others to believe or act as she does. A sort of cold and aloof type leader in the war-room Leda is a blood-thirsty fiend on the battlefield. She does not attempt to shy away from the part of her that has killed...and will most likely kill again (completely opposite Gene who can't stand to examine that part of herself). Leda attempts to take joy in all that she does. And if she can't then she finds the reason why she is NOT enjoying herself and eliminates it. So while all in all Leda is an excellent soldier and an excellent commander, she is generally not the most stable person outside of wartime.

Cyprus Shepard : Earthborn/ Warhero, Vanguard. Male

Cyprus placed pretty much all of his hopes into the alliance. With his early life so filled with cruelty and despair he saw the alliance as his only way out of a bad situation. To that point he does his best to follow the alliance code of conduct. Although nervous around other races ( and other genders for that matter ) Cyprus views the galaxy with hopeful optimism, and so often is hurt when his expectations aren't met. Although not naive in the least most often believe him to be because of his 'rose-colored glasses' view on the world. But in truth it's a way for him to hide the scars of his childhood and prove to himself that YES the galaxy IS a good place. Following the rule of smile constantly to mask my depression Cyprus tries desperately to fit the galaxy into his perfect image for it so that he won't fall into the mindset that nothing is really worth saving. Because of this every little good thing is a miracle to him and everything has a different (slightly better) side that he's just yet to find. With a general hatred for killing Cyprus justifies his occupation in his mind by telling himself constantly that the people he shoots down aren't actually people...or aliens...or even things that are capable of feeling some semblance of pain...but are instead simply monsters from his own imagination. So, despite his little imbalances, or...perhaps...because of them Cyprus is something of a hopeless romantic and falls easily for Liara. Although slightly hurt when she doesn't come with him after they reunite on Illium (and fighting with his disappointment in how she's changed) he continues to love her. This causes him some distress because he can't be with her like they were when they met. Especially after the incident with the Shadow Broker. So, while something of a mental case Cyprus is a good guy with good intentions that struggles eternally with depression as well as with the true grimness of reality.

Shyla Shepard: Colonist/Warhero, Infiltrator Female

Where as Gene is a tomboy and Leda is a dangerous anti-hero, Shyla is a honest to goodness Femme Fatale. Currently the only Shepard I've actually featured in a story Shyla is the kind of person who can make being good look really....really bad. She can also make being bad look really....really good. She's a master at deflection, implication, and interpretation and has no problem twisting the truth to suit her needs. While she is the type who will do anything to get the job done she holds herself up to certain standards to make sure she's not turning into the thing she's trying to destroy. While she would trade one man's life for another's she wouldn't particularly feel good about it afterward unless it was completely necessary....or unless she really hated the guy that died or really loved the man that lived. Still for all her subterfuge Shyla wears her heart out on her sleeve. Perhaps because she believes in always getting what she wants Shyla refuses to hold back when it comes to the way she feels and also refuses to make excuses if someone finds her actions or choices to be questionable. She lives with no regrets and likes it that way. Constantly flirting with death Shyla accepts all that comes her way with graceful stride and refuses to let others tell her she has a place...and really hates it when they put her in it. An all around fatal dame Shyla flirts with death and trouble and likes it that way.

1/6/2011 . Edited 1/6/2011 #15
EM98

Here's my main Shepard.

Will Shepard. Male, Spacer/Warhero.

A fun loving man Will enjoys being with his friends more then anything else. He's quick to help people in need and always stands up for his friends. If you mock or hurt one of his friends, nothing can save you, not even death. If you're in his way when he's helping a friend on purpose expect to be on his kill ASAP list. Once he says something will be done he will show he can do it. Oh and don't say "this is your spot" or "this is your role" you'll just p*** him off. Oh and all xenophobes better keep their mouths shut, or you'll find a pistol being pointed at your face. He views the world as shades of gray and is prepared to commit acts of evil if they serve a higher purpose. He's prepared to do anything to ensure his friends survival and well being.

I could of been more descriptive but I tend to show how my characters through stories.

2/10/2011 #16
RikaHara

ManShep: I tried to make him boring on purpose. He's more or less renegade, he's just there to get the job done and won't take any crap. I've always tried to write him as the straight man, while everyone else around him is having fun being zany and psycotic. His gruff exterior is mainly militaristic and strictly proffesional, I mean, considering he's THAT good at what he does, it has to be his life, which doesn't leave much room for anything else. That means he's pretty much a social retard, and almost naive about anything that goes on outside his job, so he rarely volunteers to leave his comfort zone, and gets angry at whatever pulls him out of it . That's why he is often irritated/exasperated at his squad, whose varied and highly colorful personalities are rumored to be slowly driving him insane....So I guess tempermental, stressed, hyper lethal, and clueless sums him up pretty well :P

LadyShep: She's the relunctant paragon. I wish in ME it had the sarcastic dialogue options like in DA, because that would of definitely fit the character I wanted her to be. Her confidence and snippy comments comes across to alot of people as hot headed. She's the one who acts tough and tries to be renegade, but alot of the time fails miserably, due to, despite as much as she tries to hide it, she might actually like people, and looks out for her squad.

8/24/2011 #17
Takaiteishu Naruto

I recently started playing a male Shepard (Colonist/Ruthless) in ME1 with the intent of taking him all the way to ME3 in March, he can be summed up in a single word: broken.

The attack on Mindoir occurred the morning after he had gotten into a major fight with his parents about a bad grade in school. He wasn't home when the batarians arrived and that is the only reason he wasn't captured. More than that, when he was assigned to Torfan he and his squad eventually made it to the slave pens where he saw a dead slave that he recognized: his little sister. Que a roaring rampage of revenge that resulted in all of the pirates dead as well as most of his squad and almost his own mind.

After Torfan he just lost interest in everything. He did what he was ordered to do, nothing more, nothing less. It isn't until the mission to stop Saren that he even remotely begins to heal. By Illium in ME2, he still isn't even halfway healed but he is one the way.

One side effect of everything that he has been through is that he places a very high value on family. Whenever a crew member has family issues, it is the one thing that no matter what point in the series can get him to care.

2/25/2012 #18
Forum Moderators: College Fool
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member