Hogwarts OnlineCLOSED see summary
we are closed. Check out our new forum. HOGWARTS Online II. WELCOME! WELCOME! To Hogwarts school of Witch craft and Wizardry a home for those of us who live and breathe the World of Magic. At our core we are a home for those looking to unite under the M
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Bad Mum

In the absence of Points, we thought we would give you something else to keep you busy over December and into the New Year.

Every week, starting today, we will give you a theme and some prompts. Your task, should you choose to accept it, is to write a 400-1000 word oneshot using them. Then, post the fic to your own profile, and post the link here, telling us which House you're in.

Because we want to get three competitions in before Christmas, we are going to be very strict on deadlines for this. The deadline for this first competition will be midnight fanfiction time on Thursday 9th December. (The second competition will be posted on the same day, so there will be a small overlap.) We are also going to be strict on the wordcount. No less than 400 words, no more than 1000 (not counting author's notes, obviously). No need to claim characters or pairings; write whoever you want.

The four Heads of Houses will each choose the best story submitted for their House, and we will announce them in this thread. Then the four Heads of Houses will vote on the overall winner from the four House winners. We hope to announce winners pretty quickly after the deadline.

There will be three competitions before Christmas running from 2nd - 9th December; 9th - 16th December and 16th - 23rd December. Then there will be a fourth running from 23rd December until 3rd January. The four overall winners will then be voted on by the Heads of House to find the Grand Champion! (You don't have to enter all four of the compeitions - although we'd love it if you did! If you just want to enter one or two, that's fine.)

Details for the very first weekly compeition can be found in the next post.

12/2/2010 . Edited 12/2/2010 #1
Bad Mum

So the very first weekly competition is as follows:

Theme - Winter

Prompts - ice, cloak, hot chocolate, regret and "Never again!" (to be said by one of your characters).

You must use all the prompts, and stick to the theme.

Word count - 400-1000 words.

Post to your own profile and post the link in this thread - tell us which House you belong to when you post.

Closing date/time (and we will stick to this) - midnight fanfiction dot net time (that's Pacific Standard Time or GMT-8) on Thursday 9th December.

No need to claim characters or pairings. Link your fic here as soon as it's posted.

Have fun!

12/2/2010 #2
Ariana Ethaitrius

I've got a question regarding dates/times (and I'm doing Severus Snape), will that be the 10th for me, and what time will that be in Australia? I get confused with timezones.

12/2/2010 #3
Bad Mum

I think it will be the 10th in Australia, but I have no idea about the actual time there. If you look up the difference between your timezone and GMT, you can work it out.

12/2/2010 #4
Paper Pearls

I'm going to give this a try. It sounds great!

12/2/2010 #5
Ariana Ethaitrius

From what I found out from the world clock I think its the 10th and 11 hours difference (not sure if its behind or in front though) what is GMT?

I'm also thinking of doing the story on how Snape has to talk to Dumbledore about killing him.

12/2/2010 #6
Bad Mum

GMT is Greenwich Mean Time.

12/2/2010 #7
shockin'blueeyes
Okay, so I claim for the first prompt and such. Ah, I'm Isa from Gryffindor.
12/2/2010 #8
Bad Mum

Isa, you need to use all the prompts.

12/2/2010 #9
shockin'blueeyes
Ooops, sorry, I claim for all. I actually meant I'm just signing up for the 2-9th challenge, because I don't know if I'll be avaliable.
12/2/2010 #10
Bad Mum

That's fine Isa. Take part in as many or as few as you like/can.

(And to everyone - if you don't claim, that's fine too. Just make sure you post the link to your story once it's done.)

12/2/2010 #11
FrivolousFlare

Question: Does the "NEVER AGAIN!" have to be in capitals?

12/2/2010 #12
Ariana Ethaitrius

Finished!(wow, that was fast). It is the latest chapter of

Ariana's Challenges

and I just uploaded it, so it might not be on my story for a while. It is called regrets.

12/2/2010 #13
Bad Mum

Does the "NEVER AGAIN!" have to be in capitals?

No. It wasn't as I posted it ;-)

12/3/2010 #14
FrivolousFlare

Hmm *frowns* I swear it was in capitals yesterday...

12/3/2010 #15
Bad Mum

LOL. I promise you it wasn't.

12/3/2010 #16
FrivolousFlare

Hmm, maybe I need to get my eyes checked again. That or I was hallucinating. (From hearing things to seeing things...oh dear...)

12/3/2010 #17
shockin'blueeyes

Here it is, The Structure Of A Snowflake. It's a Teddy/Victoire, but hopefully it won't be too mushy.

12/3/2010 #18
Bad Mum

Bumping this thread so that people see it over the weekend and hopefully take up the chalenge!

12/4/2010 #19
Ariana Ethaitrius

I thought I'd posted here, I am sorry my challenge is short, I may be able to finish it, but my Nans are in hospital, and I'm stressing out. It is also my 21st birthday on Monday.

12/4/2010 #20
thenewkait

Question can we add these straight to one giant story...i think that would be cool but idk...help please??

12/4/2010 #21
Inkfire

Azzie of Hufflepuff has written Castles of ice for that first December competition.

12/4/2010 #22
thenewkait

Kait of Ravenclaw wrote Of Snowball Fights for the first week challenge.

12/4/2010 #23
Bad Mum

Question can we add these straight to one giant story...i think that would be cool but idk...help please??

Do you mean like the collabs? Or individually with each competition being a different chapter?

You can do the latter, but to be honest, I don't think any of the mods have time to put up an extra collab this month.

12/4/2010 #24
thenewkait

The latter is what I meant. Thank you. I understand there not being enough time for the mods so its all good. =D

12/5/2010 #25
Julia Claire

Is it alright if I change the "regret" to "regretted"? If not, I can change it...

12/5/2010 #26
Bad Mum

Yeah, Julia I think that's close enough to count.

12/6/2010 #27
Julia Claire

Thanks!

12/6/2010 #28
CityGirl419

I think I'm gonna try this. It would be my first story I would do for this forum. =] And question. Do you have to use the prompts in the story? Just wondering. I don't quite know how these work yet.

12/8/2010 . Edited 12/8/2010 #29
Bad Mum

Yes, you do have to use all the prompts in the story.

12/8/2010 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Hogwarts Online II WelcomeToLolaLand, Slytherin Head, Love From A Muggle, Mistical Ninja
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member