Fang X Vanille
Love Fang and Vanille? Whether you want to talk about the pairing, beg for reviews or just enjoy a wee bit of banter, this is the place for you!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Domo Arigateaux

Okay, I totally believe that Fang and Vanille are saucy lesbian lovers, but a surprising amount of people also see their relationship as that of best friends. I've even seen it described as 'sisterly'.

Just to clarify, I ain't never gonna be swayed. I am sure that there is hot yuri loving behind the scenes.

What's your view?

4/12/2010 #1
Weiss Rose Schnee

Hmm for me its kinda hard to say. I mean yeah Fang does act very overprotective of Vanille and makes fond comments towards her at time. There was even that time when she lifted Vanilles skirt to check on her mark. It made me wonder if they really are together.

However based on what Ive seen...big YES!!!! I think at times they try thier best to hide thier relationship.

4/12/2010 #2
Mini-true

I would have said sisters, but the ending made me change my mind and I was like "oh..."

4/14/2010 #3
Weiss Rose Schnee
I know what you mean. I saw the Japanese final battle cut scenes on youtube. It was touching what happens with these two.
4/14/2010 #4
chrispylid

I think there relationships mother+daughter. fang's always looking out for the option whats best for vanille, and is even willing to die for her, and until the end *kinda spoiler* vanelle seems to be totaly unawere of this, like a child. some peeps need to get sex out of their head, no offence :) I doubt Vanille's even away of what it is at her age,

5/28/2010 . Edited 5/29/2010 #5
HolyDragon2808

I think that Fang and Vanille are just really close family members as it's stated several times throughout the game. Sure, IMO they're are a couple of scenes where you could twist out of content and suggest they might have something going on but to me there's nothing substantial to say that without people twisting a lot of stuff. Here's the way I view their relationship. (I posted this same thing on another forum site were this subject was brought up so yeah)

To me, it seems Fang is all about protecting family and friends no matter what. Wikipedia (and some of the stuff in the game database) brought a lot of things in perspective for me. According to Wikipedia, the fal'cie Anima was once the protector of the village of Oerba. When both Fang and Vanille were very young they both lost their families to L'Cie and fal'cie of Cocoon. Because of that Fang developed a deep rooted grudge against the fal'cie Anima for failing to protect their families and friends lost in that accident. You can pretty much say that this traumatic experience is why Fang is so bent on protecting the people she loves. Her family died and she was unable to do anything to prevent it. I think that Fang was determined to never let something like that happen. Not to mention that Oerba's culture was quite different than what we're used to. In their village there was no such thing as "this is mine, this is yours". The people there shared EVERYTHING with one another, their homes, their food, their possessions, pretty much everything, so it's only natural that Fang and Vanille would seem real close because that's just the culture they were born and raised into. Also, Fang and Vanille seem to refer to each other as family constantly in the game (in both versions BTW). In Oerba the entire village was "One big happy family", then Fang at the end "I made another promise too....to protect my family" (which furthers my belief in the traumatic experience I mentioned earlier). Also during the ending scenes when everyone came back from being Cie'th or whatever, Lightning was like "You were there too Fang, same side, smiling with us. All of us, together until the end." Then at that moment Fang has the flashback of the events after the Hecaton fight. "You're not alone anymore. We have a new family now. We stick together, you hear me?" I think that just reminded Fang of the promise she and Vanille made to each other centuries ago about not being separated and looking out for each other.

So yeah, I'm with the sisterly relationship all the way but I still respect the fact that people view it otherwise. I'm quite serious when I say I just honestly....don't see it. The whole "Fang and Vanille are lesbians" had to actually be brought to my attention before I even considered it and I was like "Hmm....maybe so, I honestly didn't see it the first time, maybe some people on this board saw something I didn't" (and I never would've even thought about it had it not been for the FFXIII board). So after I saw all those lesbian topics I went back and viewed some of the scenes with them in it (and I read Episode Zero as well) and I still just don't see it.... I tried to see it from the other perspective, I honestly did, but that just wasn't the vibe I got from them. If you wanna see the Japanese cutscenes for yourself you can go to this site right here and read it for yourself.

Also, if you read about Fang on Wikipedia it flat-out says that Fang treats Vanille like a sister so yeah I agree with this post to a certain extent. Sorry for the long rant....

6/5/2010 #6
Mini-true

^ That sure is a big reply.

I agree with you though -- I don't think Square Enix's intention was to make Fang and Vanille a cannon lesbian couple. However, there's plenty of subtext there that allows for us to view it as whatever we want. IMO the preferred reading of their relationship in XIII is purely only friendship/family. The only way that would justify a romantic relationship between them would be if a member of SE made a statement to confirm it.

Most character's sexuality is left ambiguous anyway, especially in video games.

6/5/2010 #7
HolyDragon2808

^ LOL sorry. Got a little carried away I guess.

6/5/2010 #8
motchi

Fang always struck me as the big, bossy sister type to Vanille too—not too different from Lightning and Serah. In fact, it could just be me, but I felt like 13 was definitely more pro-family than any other FF game.

7/4/2010 #9
HolyDragon2808

No, you're not the only one. I viewed the game the exact same way more or less. In fact, if it weren't for the obvious Snow/Serah romantic melodrama going on, I would've said that FFXIII lacked romance altogether....

7/8/2010 #10
motchi

Exactly. And to be truthful, it was kind of refreshing. It used to be that when I'd play a Final Fantasy game, all sorts of romance stories would pop in my head. In this one, all I got was Fang-gen—and even that wasn't a very strong urge. I had forgotten what it was like to just -play- a game for gaming's sake.

7/8/2010 #11
ElissaCousland

heh, been writing this whole time and I just now realized there's forums.

So...are they lovers? bffs? sisters?

Exhibit A: At one point in the game, (I don't recall exactly, probably when Fang's talking to Light), Fang actually refers to Vanille as her "Partner". She doesn't say, my friend and I, or my sister and I, she specifically says, "My partner and I". Now one could argue that she meant, comrade, as in 'partner-in-crime', etc. however, that leads me to...

Exhibit B: Turn on your PS3, Xbox, whatever, and replay the scene where Fang shoves Vanille into the elevator. Just before the elevator closes, you catch a brief *very brief* glimpse of Fang looking at Vanille with a loving look. NOT 'sisterly' at all, that look. 'I love you so much' that's what that look says.

Exhibit C: The scene where Fang says "we have a new family now". Fang pulls her close and EMBRACES Vanille. That is not a 'hug'. The girls are joined from the knees up, plastered to each other. In all of my life during stress, strife, or good times, there is only one person I have ever hugged "that way" and THAT is my WIFE.

Exhibit D: Snow loves Serah, yes? "I'll do anything to save her. Whatever it takes!". Fang: "I'll tear down the sky to save her!" sound similar?

Exhibit E: Vanille blatantly draws a line in the sand, she orders Sazh not to cross. If we are to believe she is "of age", maybe she just doesn't want a creepy old man spooning her....then again...maybe she's a lesbian?

Exhibit F: The upskirt shot. Vanille's arms go way up near her head and sort of hover there, as if she's not really sure what to do with them. Maybe she's not used to public displays? If my "sister" kept looking at my brand, I'd be rather annoyed, but I certainly wouldn't act all nervous and like I'm just holding my breath, dying with embarrassment. Come on, if she was really that embarrased about showing a little bit of skin, she'd dress differently, so we know "that" isn't the reason for her reaction.

I suppose I could go on, but what's the use of ranting endlessly to prove my point. Hell I don't even stick with just one "relationship" for them. One could even say there's unspoken mutual feelings of romance or attraction between them that have never been realized. When I write FLight, I like to keep Vanille as Fang's "sister", cause I don't like the idea of breaking her little heart or making Fang have to choose, although Jaybear's In the Middle is an awesome story with just that same plot. I like that Fang/Vanille's relationship isn't truly defined one way or another. But I do ship them. It's so easy to see.

10/14/2010 #12
NostalgicInsanity

I've only just found this forum :) Just been browsing everyone's comments and I happen to agree with most of them. I'm still split into two minds about this pairing; even though I write them as a couple (or building up to it), and have been ever since I completed the game. One the one hand it's obvious these two are close as close can be but whether or not it goes as far as to say they're lovers I can't really tell; yet some certain elements through the game made me question this.

Bearing in mind, almost right up until the game was created, Fang's part was origionally written as a male character. This is probably where the agruement about the 'yuri' pairing comes into context. If they had stuck with a Male Fang, all of the interaction between 'him' and Vanille would definately be seen as romance. I think logically, it's just a case of they changed Fang to female but didn't have the time to sort the 'yuri-like' bits, in the Japanese version of the game the Yuri vibe is more present due to the differing dialogue, where the western version seems to be more conservative; focusing on their bond as 'sisters'.

I'm still a big fan of the two as a couple though, if we all followed cannon then Fan Fiction wouldn't be very interesting would it? :)

11/23/2010 #13
DeletedAccount00

Totally agree :) I heard rumours that Square Enix held a press confrence saying that Fang and Vanille are lovers, but they would just let it hang in the air for a while. I don't know if it's true or not, but that would be so CUTE!!!!

1/23/2011 #14
Alyss Sayuri

I do believe their relationship is kind of 'sisterly' but there's nothing wrong with incest right? IN the anime and gaming universe that is, I suppose.

I'm not too far into the game...(I'm late I know)... but I can definitely see some potential there.

Vanille appears as being cute and innocent

Fang appears to be a strong badass-like warrior that is over protective of her 'sister'

But really, they both lust for something more and kind of 'forbidden'

1/9/2012 #15
Alyss Sayuri

I do believe their relationship is kind of 'sisterly' but there's nothing wrong with incest right? IN the anime and gaming universe that is, I suppose.

I'm not too far into the game...(I'm late I know)... but I can definitely see some potential there.

Fang appears to be a strong badass-like warrior that is over protective of her 'sister'

1/9/2012 #16
Alyss Sayuri

1/9/2012 #17
Sel-Brauss
Meh, I love seen Vanille and Fang as a couple <3 They're my OTP <3 <3 But sometimes I like the Fang x Lightning stuff (No one needs to call the crack ship police!!) xDD
6/14/2014 #18
Forum Moderators: Domo Arigateaux
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member