Viral Mutants Anonymous
Want to promote a fic? Bounce ideas off of other writers? Talk about the game? Everybody's welcome here.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »
Ferric

The other night I was talking with a friend of mine about Mayan and Aztec religion, which ended up flowing into a conversation about how some religions are overused in fiction when it comes to writers coming up with god and goddess names. This conversation stuck in my mind, leading me to think about how Blackwatch gave Alex the codename ZEUS, which then made me think that there must be some system to how codenames are assigned.

My assumption is that all runners and noteworthy individual infected (since previous outbreaks were always on a much smaller scale I figure that hunters were likely considered serious enough threats to be named ) are given a codename based on mythology, but not necessarily the name of a Greek or Roman deity. Along the same line of thought, I want to think that there is more to the system than simply picking a random deity name and using it for the runner.

If the notion that any exceptional infected is given a codename, then the reason Alex ended up being ZEUS might simply be that the letter Z had been reached on whatever codename list Blackwatch goes by.

With that in mind, and because I figure that people here will write stories where Blackwatch needs to give runners, infected and other things codenames I plan to try and come up with a list of names that come from sources other than Greek and Roman myth (though I will try to include some Greek and Roman gods and goddesses, just not too many).

That and boredom makes me want to see if I can come up with a pagan deity for every letter of the alphabet. Feel free to give suggestions and once I do a bit more poking around in what sources I have I will edit this post to start the list. I would have started the list tonight, but in the time between starting and finishing this post I got seriously distracted looking around on wikipedia and all of a sudden realized it was after midnight. The internet seems to be very good at eating my time.

5/8/2010 . Edited 5/8/2010 #1
DarkGidora

I definitely like the idea of mythological codenames.

Q is for Quetzalcoatl, the MesoAmericam feathered serpent god, the Aztecs were big fans.

5/8/2010 . Edited 5/8/2010 #2
Lang Noi

T is for Thor.

N is for Nyx.

H is for Hades.

F is for Frey, Freya, and any number of other gods hanging about.

B is for Baldr. Who wouldn't be a good example of badassery or even target-worthiness unless he was Edward Cullen. Bishie sparkles.

S is for Set, Sekhmet, and other violent deities.

5/8/2010 #3
DarkGidora

R is for Ra.

B is for Ba'al.

A is for Apophis and Anubis.

C is for Cronus.

S is for Sokar.

5/9/2010 #4
DarkGidora

I forgot, Lang, Nano, Guess, and me brainstormed a few codenames earlier:

A is for Athena and Artemis, which I like just a bit. And Aphrodite, though that name would be a terrible fit.

B is for Batman, kinda not sane.

C is for Circe. And hell, why not Cain?

E is for Eris and Eve. Both woman caused some trouble.

H is for Hel; I imagine her home is largely rubble.

K is for Kali, a goddess of death, kinda mean.

M is for Morrigan, Medea, Medusa and Magdelene.

P is for Proteus and Pandora, who had a box.

R is for Raiden from MK, which rocks.

S is for Scylla and Shiva, an Indian god.

Y is for Ymir, a frost giant, poor sod.

5/9/2010 . Edited 5/9/2010 #5
Lang Noi

A is also for Apollo and Azrael (angel) and Azazel (demon) and Anubis (god of death) and Apep (god of meaningless carnage and destruction of all that is good).

B is for Bast(et).

F is also for Frigga, but that just sounds too funny nowadays.

H is for Hermes, which I suppose could work if there were ever any male Runners. And Horus and Hathor, but I doubt any characters worthy or fitting of those names would show.

I is for Isis, the Egyptian goddess of family, loyalty, and magic. Also a really powerful one.

L is for Loki.

N is for Nepthys, winged goddess of the dead.

O is for Osiris.

P is for Poseidon, which honestly would have been a better fit for THOR but I'm too lazy to go back now and Po-po never threw thunderbolts for the hell of it.

S is for Shiva (Hindu) and Skadi (Norse). And Sobek the crocodile god.

T is for Thoth and Tyr.

5/9/2010 #6
DarkGidora

A is also for Asmodeus, a demonic king. Or Abbadon, an angel associated with destruction.

B could also be Belial.

C could be Charybdis, a greek monster depicted as having a gigantic maw; she lived in the same straight as Scylla (if you were too far to be harmed by Charybdis, you were too close to Scylla and vice versa).

F for Fenris; a giant wolf in norse mythology. Ate odin at Ragnarok.

J could be Jormungandr, a giant snake and enemy of Thor at Ragnarok. Fenris, Jormungandr, and Hel were all the children of Loki.

L could also be Legion; which come to think of it, would suit Alex. And Lilith and Lucifer.

M for Mephistocles, the demon in the legend of Faust.

5/9/2010 . Edited 5/9/2010 #7
Lang Noi

B could also be Beelzebub. I don't know if I spelled that correctly.

D for Dagon? I can't remember if anyone was actually named that.

E also for Euryale?

I think Legion referred to the Roman legions that swarmed Israel, though. It was supposed to be not-so-subtle allegory.

5/9/2010 #8
DarkGidora

It might not've been subtle, but the passage is pretty well known. "My name is Legion; for we are many".

EDIT: Also, Leviathan.

Alastor

Ifrit

EDIT mk. II: What exactly was Baldr god of, anyway? I just remember that his mom made everything on Earth promise not to hurt him.

5/9/2010 . Edited 5/9/2010 #9
Lang Noi

Then Uriel,

Yeshua

Michael (which sounds so mundane now)

Gabriel

Odin

Amaterasu

Susanoo

Orochi

Juno

Inari

Abraham

Adam

Abel

Nephilim

5/9/2010 #10
DarkGidora

You used Adam in your Pariah oneshot, right?

EDIT: Vioarr; the aesir that killed Fenris.

5/9/2010 . Edited 5/9/2010 #11
Lang Noi

Not really. I decided if I ever wanted to write a sequel his name would be Abel or Adam, but then I remembered that the Antichrist in Good Omens was named Adam. I'd pick some other biblical name, but probably not Adam, at least. PARIAH actually had a confirmed mother, for one thing.

Njord, the Norse god of the sea, one of the Vanir.

5/9/2010 . Edited 5/9/2010 #12
DarkGidora

Atlas, the dude holding up the world.

Argus, who had one hundred eyes.

Calypso, who held Odysseus hostage to try and force him to marry her.

Kraken, a giant sea monster.

5/9/2010 . Edited 5/9/2010 #13
Lang Noi

What would you have renamed PARIAH?

Prometheus, he who brought knowledge to men. And was chained to a rock for fucking forever and had his liver ripped out by an eagle every day. Zeus was a dick.

EDIT: And Atlas held up the sky.

5/9/2010 . Edited 5/9/2010 #14
DarkGidora

I don't know, that Abel would sound good. Joseph would be good too, for some reason, though it might not be "biblical" enough.

Pretty much the entire Greek pantheon were either dicks, or suffered from the dickery of the others.

I forgot about that.

5/9/2010 #15
Lang Noi

It's what happens in a world where half the children are named after biblical figures to begin with.

Pretty much. The only guy who got out pretty much unscathed was Perseus (because he was a son of Zeus who didn't get too full of himself) and Hestia (who didn't do anything).

It's okay--when I was reading Atlas Shrugged I was like, "dude, if Atlas could shrug off the burden of the world, we'd all be flat." But then, what did the gods do before Atlas was there?

EDIT: Argus was a hero (sort of) because he killed Echidna--the literal mother of all monsters that people like Hercules had to face.

5/9/2010 . Edited 5/9/2010 #16
DarkGidora

Yeah, I just remembered the hundred eyes part of that. Y'know, the important stuff. ^_^

5/9/2010 #17
Lang Noi

And then he was put to sleep by Hermes and his head was cut off. You just need to remember the entire context before giving something a name like that.

Also, here's a list of every monster Echidna had:

Nemean Lion

Ladon

Lycian Chimera

Theban Sphinx

Lernaean Hydra

Cerberus

Orthrus

Ethon/Caucasian Eagle

Teumessian Fox

Crommyonian Sow

Colchian Dragon

5/9/2010 #18
DarkGidora

Okay, the lion was impervious to anything, so Hercules had to strangle it.

Hydra, cut of one head, two grow back, so you had to burn the necks.

The Sphynx had it's riddle, and after Oedipus solved it, the Sphynx killed itself.

Cerberus was the giant guard dog of the river Styx.

The fox was uncatchable, right? And then this guy got a dog that had to catch whatever it hunted. Then Zeus decided to turn them to stone, like a jackass.

The rest I'm going to have to read up on.

5/9/2010 #19
Lang Noi

The Chimera was stabbed in the throat by a spear tipped with lead (by Bellerophon and the Pegasus), and molten lead dripping into anyone's stomach is a horrible way to go.

Ladon used to guard the golden apples of the Hesperides (daughters of Atlas. Somehow). It was put to sleep forever.

The bottom dragon used to guard the Golden Fleece.

The eagle was the same one that tortured Prometheus for centuries.

5/9/2010 #20
DarkGidora

Thanks.

Do you think Charon would fit? The infected tend to help people cross over from the land of the living to the land of the dead.

5/9/2010 #21
Lang Noi

Not unless Charon got violent. He never did. Thanatos, maybe?

5/9/2010 #22
DarkGidora

Yeah, that consideration did enter my mind.

First I was "Yeah! He ferries people to the land of the dead!"

Then I realized "Yeah... literally. As in he owns a boat."

5/9/2010 . Edited 5/9/2010 #23
Lang Noi

Legion works almost better. What about the Stymphalian Birds? The ones that had swords for feathers and were defeated by copper maracas.

5/9/2010 #24
DarkGidora

The ones that had swords for feathers and were defeated by copper maracas.

I have no clue what mythology they are from. But I want to practice it. Almost as endearing as drop bears.

EDIT: Okay, Greek.

5/9/2010 . Edited 5/9/2010 #25
Lang Noi

I keep thinking that drop bears have three rows of teeth.

Fun, aren't they?

EDIT: And that's not counting the maneating horses Hercules took from a king who wouldn't pay him.

5/9/2010 . Edited 5/9/2010 #26
DarkGidora

Ancient mythology is awesome. It's like 1950s Sci-Fi; take one animal, give it features of another, and then let them run amok!

5/9/2010 #27
Lang Noi

The chimera was the worst about that. Dragon, lion, snake and goat. And all of the heads breathe fire? Some versions have wings, too.

5/9/2010 #28
DarkGidora

I think Godzilla fought a flying dragon-lion-snake-goat in one of his films.

5/9/2010 . Edited 5/9/2010 #29
Lang Noi

And here I thought he was a dude in a rubber suit that happened to have magical powers. How else would he grow to seventy billion stories and breathe radioactive fire?

5/9/2010 #30
Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: DarkGidora Ferric
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member