A Bug's Life Discussions
Talk about anything A Bug's Life related here. Movie moments, your own Fanfictions, ideas for other people's Fanfictions, particular characters, ideas for a sequel, your own feeling about the film... the possibilities are endless!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »

Well, I'm presently trying to work on my own fanfiction arch for ABL, both a prequel and a sequel of sorts.

The first one revolves around how the circus bugs got together, however, most of my ideas revolve around Manny and Gypsy thus far (how they met & fell in love and why they got married). The second one is another circus bug story that mostly is about the troupe getting better at what they do, gaining some new performers (namely French bumblebee twins), and Manny and Gypsy's wanting to adopt a baby caterpillar, much to P.T's displeasure.

But mostly that's all I have. I can't think of a villain WORTHY of being in a Pixar-based fanfiction, and especially a villain that would match the likes of Hopper without being a copy of Hopper.

6/17/2010 #1

Hmm,well it's not a bad idea. And you can make the villain a termite,if you want.

6/19/2010 #2

A termite, hm? An interesting suggestion myself.

I'm thinking that there could be several "antagonists" or rivals for each of the characters. Maybe the termite could be a "rival" of P.T's in the circus business.

6/19/2010 #3

Heh heh. I can hear the song eye of the tiger playing inside my head.

6/19/2010 #4

Why is that?

6/19/2010 #5

"It's the eye of the tiger and it's the thrill of the fight rising up to the challenge of our rival."

That's the part that is playing in my head with the rival of P. T. Flea and the termite.

6/19/2010 #6

I've considered a slight change with the "Adoption sub-plot" and decided to turn the caterpillar into a Mayfly larva. Should I really do it or is the moth caterpillar still good?

6/19/2010 #7

Yeppers Peppers.

Well,it's your imagination, do whatever you want.

6/19/2010 #8

I am having a fairly difficult time putting down a solid plot for it, though. I'm not really sure what it will be about.

6/19/2010 #9

I'm sure something will pop up.

6/19/2010 #10

Right now, the story is starting to look FAR more like a Manny-based story, which I'm trying not to do. I guess the reason is because most of my ideas are for him thus far.

6/22/2010 #11

I can tell you're a Manny fan. Heh heh.

6/23/2010 #12

Yes, I am! But I'm also a Gypsy fan =P

6/23/2010 #13

I can tell.

6/23/2010 #14

Usually it's easy to tell when I have a favorite character XD

So, here's my ideas for each of the characters:

Manny is the apprentice/assistant of a traveling magician

Gypsy (a caterpillar for some of the story) is a showgirl at a diner/motel that is owned by Heimlich's mother

Rosie is Gypsy's roomate and is also employed by Heimlich's mother, helping her in the kitchens

Dim is an orphan who is found by Rosie...how, I'm not sure.

Francis and Slim are both runaways, and they both desire to join a circus.

Heimlich, like I said, is the child of a diner/motel owner

Tuck and Roll are young foreigners

P.T is the son of a circus owner, and will inherit said circus (I decided that his real name is Phillbert Tiberius the Third/Junior Junior. He needed something as embarrassing as possible XD)

6/23/2010 #15

That's cool. And Francis from Bug's Life sounds like Diego from Ice Age.

6/23/2010 #16

I kinda doubt they're the same actor though. But then again, I really don't know the actor very well XD

One thing I'm trying to figure out is the age. I definatly think that Manny and Gypsy are the oldest of the troupe and Heimlich is the youngest, but I don't know where to put everyone else.

For now, I've placed it as

Manny, Gypsy, P.T, Rosie, Slim, Francis, Dim, Tuck & Roll, Heimlich. I'm not sure if I should change anything, though.

6/23/2010 #17

Denis Leary plays as Francis and he also plays as Diego from Ice Age. Look it up.

Well Heimlich may sound like an adult,but he's a kid in general.

It's up to you.

6/23/2010 #18

Oh cool :D .

Heimlich is defiantly the youngest, since he still hasn't reached his final metamorphosis into the "adult" stage. I'd say he'd in his early twenties, right before being really, truly, officially an adult. I'm still not sure about Dim, Tuck, and Roll on the age chart, though.

6/23/2010 #19

From my point of view,I think Pixar made the bugs from Bug's Life act like humans and make them age how humans age (I know that grasshoppers live for about at least a few months except Pixar gave them the aging of humans, like I said). I think Heimlich is like 18 or 19 or so. And I think Dim is in his late twenties,and I think Tuck and Roll are about 25 or so.

6/23/2010 #20

That sounds pretty good too.

I'm trying to figure out what their ages would be exactly before I go trying to set everyone up age-wise in my prequel. My "blocks" are Manny and Heimlich and then I'll go from there.

6/23/2010 #21

Yeppers peppers.

That's cool, I can guarantee that.

6/23/2010 #22

Another problem I have is that so far, only a few characters have met each other. They are Manny, Gypsy, Rosie, and Heimlich. Slim and Francis have met too, but I'm not sure how they all meet each other yet.

6/23/2010 #23

You're a fanfiction author aren't you? You can make it up.

6/23/2010 #24

Sometimes, I like suggestion and input on some of my writings. That's what most writers do. They communicate with other writers and "brainstorm" with them if they are stuck in a box for ideas.

6/23/2010 #25

You got that right. It's like working at a studio. This is like making a movie in writing (sort of) although I try to imagine what the characters sound like and which possible actors would play as them if it was a real movie.

6/23/2010 #26

I try to do that too, especially if I have to completely make up a voice. Ha, I imagine Heimlich's mother, Madam Monera, sounding a bit like Mrs. Gloop in the original Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, but a bit more like a Sugar Mama that loves everyone.

6/23/2010 #27

LOL. Good imagining. And hey,in my Bug's Life fanfiction stories the character I made is Shelby,and I can imagine Renee Zellwegger doing her voice.

6/23/2010 #28

So, another point I struggle with is the plot itself, other than "the circus bugs meet".

6/23/2010 #29

Look around you. Use your life for inspiration (just don't take it from your life directly; alter it).

Personally, I try to make my fanfiction fit in with the others - for instance, Tuck and Roll are last to join the troupe (like in Neithersparky's "One Bug, Two Bug"). As far as I'm concerned, the order of the circus bugs joining is:

Francis, Heimlich and Slim, two months before A Beetle's Life. The circus starts with them, P.T., and the fireflies and drum tarantula.

Manny, a month and a half before A Beetle's Life.

Rosie, four weeks before A Beetle's Life.

Dim, one day after A Beetle's Life.

Gypsy, three weeks after A Beetle's Life (try making a story about Manny and her falling in love during the five weeks before Tuck & Roll join).

Tuck & Roll, a month and 26 days after A Beetle's Life. This is done in "One Bug, Two Bug."

Molt, three months after A Beetle's Life.

If you want tips on a good villain, look at Queen Maula in A Beetle's Life (written by yours truly). She's menacing, and she's a cross between Darth Maul from The Phantom Menace, Hopper from A Bug's Life and Adolf Hitler from Nazi Germany (and yes, the hornets do represent the Nazis). In my next Fanfiction, I plan for the antagonists to be locusts. And in that, many A Bug's Life characters will die... (they're all in it though, except for Hopper as he's dead).

Try having your story center around what circus bug you want (ensure he experiences emotional change during the story) with the others adding color to the story. Make as few new characters as possible. If possible, give emotional change to other major characters too (In a Beetle's Life, Rosie and Cora experience it, and all the beetles and circus bugs learn something VERY important at the end).

The lengths above are in human time (remember, bug's only live so long). Try to mention as little time-periods of any sort, as it causes confusion.

P.S. I can also picture Cora being voiced by Bonnie Hunt (also Rosie's actor, as that's a major gag in the story), Palpatine by Ian McDiarmid, Weaver by Sam Worthington, Berry by Julia-Louis Dreyfus and Maula by the actress who plays the White Witch in The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

6/24/2010 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: Groudon202 FemaleJester1212
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member