How to Train a Writer
A forum for all things pertaining to the writing of fanfiction. Share writing tips and challenges. Bounce ideas off people. Perfect your characterizations and help others do the same!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Duchess Delanie

All right, I'm going to post my New Year's Resolutions regarding fanfiction.

1. Update something every week.

2. Work on my descriptions.

3. Give better reviews.

1/2/2011 #1
Backroads

Ooh! Good idea!

1. Update weekly, at least.

2. Give more detailed reviews and try to hit good and bad on each one I give. I feel my reviews have been slacking as of late.

3. Read something the first time it appears in my inbox or not open it at all untill I have the time to do so.

4. Write another RufFish piece.

5. Make my writing prettier.

6. Finish my current fics.

7. Write a Deltora Quest piece because I've always wanted to.

8. Get to 100 pieces of fanfiction by my 10th anniversary of being on this site.

9. Write an M piece. For the heck of it.

10. Edit/Rewrite/grammar check everything I have.

11. Convince RufFish to exist in the tv show and movie sequel. Not sure how to go about that...

1/3/2011 . Edited 1/3/2011 #2
Gumdrop Boo - Ch4rms

1. Overhaul sweep on the Seasonal Series for grammar/spacing/spelling errors.

2. Finish Slivers and Slices [not far from being done actually]

3. Start third HTTYD full-length installment

4. Update another one of my stories in a different fandom [because HTTYD put a big PAUSE on everything else with all the inspiration]

5. Send notes to thank those who favorite my stories [people thank each other ll the time on Deviant Art, why not here too?]

6. Read more in the archive [I kind of got discouraged from seeking out new stuff because of the overload of badly-written stuff :/]

7. Attempt to offer Beta-reader services.

BTW - Backroads you can combine your 4 and 9 resolutions into one ;)

1/5/2011 . Edited 1/5/2011 #3
Backroads

BTW - Backroads you can combine your 4 and 9 resolutions into one ;)

That's been the plan for months! =D

Weirdly enough, my hesitation against is my little cousins who like to read my stuff.

1/6/2011 #4
Gumdrop Boo - Ch4rms

Oh yay! That was something I was considering writing, and maybe will in the future but good to know other people are interested in it. As for cousins, do they actively look through your new stuff or do you just tell them when you put stuff up?

1/6/2011 #5
Backroads

Back in the summer someone requested "wedding night" details from IHaSE and we thought that would be a really fun project, but it hasn't happened.

The cousins just randomly go through it! They've done it for years, ever since I was their nanny. I'm not too concerned about the older ones, but there's a couple of really young ones that wouldn't read the rating or even get upset by the rating. Silly kids.

1/6/2011 #6
Duchess Delanie

Darn little kids getting in the way of things! Yet I fully understand it. It's a concern if you're a role model and the kiddies are shocked to see M-rated stuff coming from you.

1/6/2011 #7
Backroads

I'm also going to respond to every review!!

1/14/2011 #8
Backroads

I have successfully completed 4 and 9 and I'm feeling pretty good about 1 and 2.

How y'all doing?

1/24/2011 #9
Duchess Delanie

I really think I'm failing epic style.

4/7/2011 #10
Backroads

I managed to finish another story! That's something.

I still really really really need to get into my reviewing style of oh, say, a year ago.

4/7/2011 #11
Forum Moderators: Backroads Gumdrop Boo - Ch4rms, Duchess Delanie
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member