Critics United
Critics United: a place for reviewers to gather and talk, exchange tales and support each other as we all try and help the authors of the site.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 82 89 90 91 92 93 Next »
PizzaSteve3902

The best trolls are ones you don't know are trolling with their fic, so in that particular case you'd be reading the story because they had a snazzy summary that drew your attention in, or the person reading doesn't know what quality writing is yet.

I've read a few of those before... and known some people who seemed to become dumber by reading them.

1/19 #2,731
catspats31

Do you think this story below has "Fiction MA" content?

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12386645/1/

2/5 #2,732
Katara Tojiro

No. It is rather violent, and implies rape, but it never goes into detail; it's not explicit. However, I'm not a CU member, so I'd advise you to get someone else's opinion as well.

Actually, I'm here for an opinion on sulliguodddddddddddddddddddddd's fics (yes, the username does have 22 d's). I think I read somewhere on this forum that a post should not single out a specific author, so I will focus on their fic called "ohihohalal."

There are many things wrong with it, first and foremost being that it is not in the language it's advertised as/ supposed to be. I know that it breaks FF.net rules, but I am also hesitant to call it out, because it is most likely a trollfic (well, I'm sure it's a trollfic, but I'd like another opinion). However, the author may actually be trying to write a story, but I wouldn't know because I cannot read the language it is in - either Chinese or Japanese. I also have not been able to obtain a clear definition of a trollfic, so I'm not exactly sure of what they are.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12709665/1/ohihohlalal

2/14 . Edited 2/15 #2,733
MrGoodyTwoShoes

You're going to have to post links to the story in question Katara Tojiro. Can't find it or the author via search so can't give you an answer to your question without seeing it.

As for Catpats - I gave it a quick read over despite my flu and to me it looks like it is properly rated at M. Depends on what they do down the line as they have stated "lemons" in the story. If they go full on into detail then it's MA for sure.

2/15 #2,734
Talarc

I'm unsure about whether this story violates the rule against using copyrighted song lyrics. My gut feeling is that it does - the author has changed the wording slightly, but it's still recognisable as the original song - but I thought it would be best to get a second opinion:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12836821/1/

2/15 . Edited 2/15 #2,735
MrGoodyTwoShoes

It's close enough to count as a parody in my eyes Talarc.

2/15 #2,736
Katara Tojiro

Ah, sorry! I added the link to my post, I don't know why I didn't put one on the first place...

I heard the flu is particularly bad this year, I hope you get over it soon!

2/15 . Edited 2/15 #2,737
MrGoodyTwoShoes

Thank you and yes, it's a troll but more likely a spam bot. Just report and move on.

2/15 #2,738
ZadArchie

I'm having trouble with this story. The guest review who sent this one to me wanted to peg it for non-story content, but since these are letters written by the characters of the story, it barely squeaks by in that regard. However, since the letters are addressed "Dear Fanfic Writers," does that make it interactive?

4/6 #2,739
MrGoodyTwoShoes

Since people are responding to it in the review sections I would say it definitely does cross the interactive line.

4/6 #2,740
Venomheart the Dreamer

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12797453/1/Zootopia-The-Savage-Return-Part-I

I think all of these should be put in the same story? Author has part 1, 2 and 3 posted as separate stories.

4/22 #2,741
MrGoodyTwoShoes

It could go either way as the way the writer has done things where it could be 3 chapters or seen as 3 separate stories that are connected to each other.

I would suggest just not doing anything.

4/23 #2,742
ZadArchie

Having a bit of trouble deciding on this one. According to the person who sent a guest review tipping me off about this one, the author was interactively responding to guest reviews. Though not quite the typical "shoutout" page like some authors do, which obviously break the rules, this one's kind of in a grey area for me. They acknowledge certain reviewers, but not in what I'd consider a "direct" way like most. I also feel that the guest reviewer who sent this to me is having their own personal war with this author, and I don't want to be a part of that drama (according to the reviewer, they sent a link to this story to two other CU members, so if any of you did get this and want to weigh in, I'd appreciate it).

5/16 #2,743
Venomheart the Dreamer

I think it's fine.

5/16 #2,744
MrGoodyTwoShoes

It looks clean to me as well Zad and I think you're right - someone is trying to get us to do their dirty work for them for whatever vendetta they have with the author.

Best we stay out of it though I'll drop a note to the author to let them know we're not getting involved.

5/16 #2,745
Venomheart the Dreamer

Well, I'll admit I checked out this story simply because of the author's profile:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11336021/2/Saudade

I compared it with chapter 1 of Twilight: New Moon

readtwilightsagaonline.blogspot.com/2010/07/twilgiht-new-moon-chpater-1-party.html

Is this a case of copyright infringement? I'm not sure if that's the official copy of Twilight, but there are significant similarities in dialogue and in other cases, completely identical.

5/18 #2,746
DarkSiren49

Doing this now while my hands are free and signal is strong, going to CD and SiV quickly after.

Having a bit of trouble deciding on this one. According to the person who sent a guest review tipping me off about this one, the author was interactively responding to guest reviews. Though not quite the typical "shoutout" page like some authors do, which obviously break the rules, this one's kind of in a grey area for me. They acknowledge certain reviewers, but not in what I'd consider a "direct" way like most. I also feel that the guest reviewer who sent this to me is having their own personal war with this author, and I don't want to be a part of that drama (according to the reviewer, they sent a link to this story to two other CU members, so if any of you did get this and want to weigh in, I'd appreciate it).

I 'm one of the ones, I think, got this same heads up. In my opinion, I think it does go a bit over the interactive rule - only in chapter 5 and 20 where they seem to be directly talking to at least one reviewer. If they fix that, they should be fine. In my opinion that is.

However...

someone is trying to get us to do their dirty work for them for whatever vendetta they have with the author.

That's what I got when I read my email alert. I don't want to get dragged into that drama either. Specially if the author is creating it to get attention - according to the guest. Even if the person broke the rules, best to stay out of the way of that T. Rex. Sorry, been in Jurassic World mood lately. So I say good call from Goody on that.

But, I still feel they broke the rule on those two chapters. I think I'm just going to give minor mention to it in my report email to the admins. Let them deal with it. I really don't know though.

I'm sorry, Venomheart. I can't say with a certainty. I'm no fan of Twilight, and am unfamiliar with the books. But maybe someone who is can help confirm where it is or not.

5/21 #2,747
Yemi Hikari

I'd not noticed the question regarding the Twilight fic the last time I checked. The answer is no, it would not get a pass. The most obvious part is where the writer copied dialogue verbatim from the books. The writer couldn't have done that without having the actual book open in front of them. Then there's the prose part. There are parts of the prose which wouldn't exist if the writer hadn't had the book open in front of them. For example, this part...

She finally made it to me and I reached for her eagerly. Her skin was warm on mine and I squeezed her hand. I heard the change in her heartbeat and grinned at her. Unwilling to have her even at an arm's length away, I closed the distance between us and lifted my other hand to trace her lips with my fingers. I could feel her warm breath on my cold skin, and stared into her melted chocolate eyes.

... happens to be plagiarism of this paragraph...

We reached Edwardd then, and he held his hand out for mine. I took it eagerly, forgetting for a moment, my glum mood. His skin was always smooth, hard, and very cold. He gave my fingers a gentle squeeze. I looked into his liquid topaz eyes and my heart gave a not-quite-so-gentle squeeze of its own. Hearing the stutter in my heartbeat, he smiled again.

Changing the wording doesn't make it not plagiarism.

5/27 #2,748
Letsnottalkaboutitaye

Hmm, but I wonder if it does count as plagiarism. You have to remember, if one is writing fanfiction for something it means that they've studied the works--this means the writing style. I know that my style of writing is a big mixture of my favorite author's styles. That's how writing works. If the writer happens to read very little other than their fandom, or even if they only read simple fiction LIKE their fandom, it could result in their descriptions and scenes being very similar. It doesn't mean that they plagiarized. Also, (oh, please don't take this as snarky! :) I only wish to share my thoughts) the verbal verbatim should not be something that you are policing, seeing as this is fanfiction. They are using characters that are not theirs, meaning that the characters' speech and actions come with them. It's natural.

6/6 #2,749
Venomheart the Dreamer

I don't agree with Yemi that specific example counts as plagiarism since it's different enough. I think because the meanings are (mostly) the same, the courts may rule it as plagiarism on a case-by-case basis. Although, that story has more obvious flaws of verbatim dialogue from mundane parts.

I only wish to share my thoughts) the verbal verbatim should not be something that you are policing, seeing as this is fanfiction.

If I understand this correctly, are you arguing for that copying verbatim from the source material should be allowed?

6/6 #2,750
Letsnottalkaboutitaye

To a...fuzzy point, yes. Copyright laws are here to protect authors. They make it so that creators can work with a small amount of financial and moral safeties. And unofficial sequel being sold as official is illegal, and may very well be taken to court. Producing mass amounts of plagiarism and claiming them as yours for financial gain may also get one taken to court. However, small things like a fanfiction is not likely to stir up much drama for something like a line of dialogue lifted. Especially if that line was twisted to be apart of something new. The author isn't hiding the fact that their inspirations are based in this universe. The author, by posting here, has openly given their source.

I didn't read the fic that you guys are referencing, and I didn't read the book it was based off of, so I couldn't tell you how lifted it was or was not, but I do know these things:

1) If a work is in any way transformative enough, it is allowed legally.

2) If a work is in any way a parody or a satirical piece, it is allowed legally.

3) If a work follows the Fair Uses limitations (which are quite vague and easily arguable case by case, especially when finances are not involved), it is allowed legally.

4) If a work does not make any revenue, and is not based off of something created by someone who has explicitly stated against natures like FF, the law seldom gets involved.

I know that there are things that I disagree with on a totally logical basis, that I am sure some of CU agree with as well--though hands are forced when being a part of something like this, I know--that can't be allowed due to major infringements or policies, but, I am also a strong advocate for not muddling in something that doesn't need to be muddled in. There is a lot of tension in this community as of right now as has been pointed out to me within my recent days of returning to the site, and I believe that there is a fix somewhere around it.

Now, what I don't know is what caused this to happen. Perhaps a possible threat of siege upon fanfiction . net? There must have been a catalyst, but the current political standpoint of "People policing people," and then making it so that the people who are actively policing have enough power to silence those attempting to follow anything close to a checks and balances system is corrupt.

This is a privately owned site.

There are rules for people who are using the site.

I understand this. I am not saying that I, nor my ideologies in this situation are right. Not by any means. To break the rules means to suffer the consequences, I know. However, there is something happening here today that is not against the rules--heck, it's fighting for the rules!--but is very much wrong. And that's the practice of stifling the creativity of so many authors just looking to bask in a fandom or practice their trade without doing anything to offend the authors or, purposefully, the technicalities of the law. They are not trolling the site, looking to anger people. They are not openly harassing anyone. They are just writing.

Unlike those who some are feeling have been employed by CU.

Do not take me wrong, oh please don't, I only speak only on behalf of myself--though I am fueled by common opinions--and I am lucky enough to not have been attacked. However, there is an abundance of authors on here being bossed around by guests, and then fearing the removal of their story or suspension of their account on the basis of little things. There is a law somewhere for any and everything, but a good majority of them are looked past because 'no harm no foul.' When an author is being berated, bullied, and then made out to be the bad guy, authors stop writing and critics thrive. (Please note: I am not going over constructive criticism. Telling someone that they've done wrong is okay, but threatening them, openly ridiculing them in an unjustified matter (please note this is of course a case-by-case decision, as to what is justified) and then referring back to a group such as CU gives them more power than they should be allowed to have.

I offer my apologies for anything I am ignorant to, as my arguments may be littered with misunderstandings. Also, please take my apology for getting off topic. I felt there was a broader subject than just a Twilight fanfiction lifting dialogue in need of light. I am sure this isn't the first time you've been presented with such claims, either.

Thank you guys for working hard to keep Fanfiction a safe place for everyone, and thank you for educating writers of the dangers that could possibly befall them. Just please allow your hard work to help more than it stifles, as creativity can be a very blurred line for some, and I would very much like to see the people policing the people not become ostracized by the people they are policing :)

6/6 #2,751
ZadArchie

Look, I'm no lawyer, so I won't pretend to be one. Honestly, in the example above, even I would be hard-pressed to call that plagiarism. Because I'm not as well versed in the legality of it all, unless it is direct word-for-word copying, I would usually turn a situation like that over to a CU member more experienced. But, I do want to point out a couple things you've said.

However, there is something happening here today that is not against the rules--heck, it's fighting for the rules!--but is very much wrong. And that's the practice of stifling the creativity of so many authors just looking to bask in a fandom or practice their trade without doing anything to offend the authors or, purposefully, the technicalities of the law. They are not trolling the site, looking to anger people. They are not openly harassing anyone. They are just writing.

I think that's a very loaded statement here, and a gross misconception of what CU is. Now, I'm no mod, and definitely no founding member. But, what we do isn't "policing" by any means. We totally understand that there are some writers who are unaware of the rules, and several who just don't understand them due to some ambiguous terminology on the part of the rules. Our job isn't to scare away writers or stifle their creativity. It's not even really a job. What we do is volunteer to take some time to be a warning voice to those people. We let them know, "Hey, this is what the rules say (whether I personally agree with them is a moot point), here's what the consequences can be if you don't fix it (because chances are some other jerk has already reported it without having the kindness to try and tell the author how to fix it), and here's what you can do to fix it (whether that's tweak a few things or helping you understand how to sign up for alternative fanfic sites).

I really don't have to do any of that. I could just report the story for breaking the rules, keep quiet, and be on my way. But, that's not fair to the author, especially, if like you said, they didn't do it on purpose. That's not what CU is about. I don't know about other members because I can only speak for myself, but I try to avoid getting to the point of reporting a story as much as possible. I'd rather take the time to help a person fix an issue rather than just leave in a huff or lose their story to the admins.

However, there is an abundance of authors on here being bossed around by guests, and then fearing the removal of their story or suspension of their account on the basis of little things.

You have no idea how much I hate these guest reviewers as well. They make things so much harder for us. Some of them do try, and are nice about it, but for most of them, if they're using a guest account, it's usually because they're up to no good. 9 out of 10 times I see this, they're just in it to stir the pot. They are not looking out for the author's or anyone's best interests.

There is a law somewhere for any and everything, but a good majority of them are looked past because 'no harm no foul.'

True, the sluggishness of the admins' system has made this a possibility. Rule breaking stories could sit on here for years with nothing happening because no one has a d*** clue how the report system works or how the admins prioritize which reports to look into first.

When an author is being berated, bullied, and then made out to be the bad guy, authors stop writing and critics thrive.

And no CU member actively tries to "bully" anyone. To be fair, I'm not familiar with everyone's communication technique, but I try to take on the role I live in real life: a teacher. I want to help, and I want authors to learn from their mistakes. I never berate, bully, or threaten in my communications.

True, our Worst Responses thread doesn't always show us at our best. Most of the time, the conversations I save for that are the ones where the author has already made up their mind to throw a temper-tantrum and doesn't bother to try and help themselves. Learning is something you have to want. It can't be forced. Therefore, my communications there are calm, but affirming the point that rules are rules, I wil help when you calm down, and nothing more.

Telling someone that they've done wrong is okay, but threatening them, openly ridiculing them in an unjustified matter (please note this is of course a case-by-case decision, as to what is justified) and then referring back to a group such as CU gives them more power than they should be allowed to have.

So, I'm getting the impression that what you're talking about has more to do with non-CU members who go reviewing on their own and then refer to us? Okay, I can kind of see where you're going with this, if this really is your argument. Unfortunately, we can't control what everyone else does. We are humans after all. Heck, we can't really control each other. Sure, a CU member could go nuts the next day and start abusing their membership, and all that'll happen is they just get kicked out of the forum. Will that stop their behavior? I doubt it. Does it still give a bad rap for CU? Well, if people knew they were a former-CU member, it isn't going to look good, but we have to hope that people are smart enough to figure out the difference from people we do consider members and those we do not.

6/6 #2,752
Letsnottalkaboutitaye

Oh okay, I understand your points! :) Like I said earlier, I certainly don't know everything that you guys are doing or are for, and it is nice to see your guys' side of the story! I'm glad that you are not encouraging the guests, and certainly hope none of you are (I'm sure you can see how suspicious it looks when a new-comer sees a bunch of people talking about anonymous tips...)!

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, Zad! You've cleared up a lot of concerns.

6/6 #2,753
ZadArchie
(I'm sure you can see how suspicious it looks when a new-comer sees a bunch of people talking about anonymous tips...)!

These aren't the easiest situations to navigate, I'll give you that. On the one hand, there are some anonymous reviewers who you know are itching for trouble, but at the same time, they have provided you a link to a story that does clearly violate the rules (sometimes they're just blowing smoke, but some are genuine), and so you're left with a dilemma. On the one hand, you don't want to be a part of the drama, and on the other, it isn't fair to the author to just ignore their story and not at least have the courtesy to try and tell them that there is a problem. But, these situations rarely end well since the guest reviewer already got them riled up. It's often a lose-lose situation for us. Some can be reasoned with, and they'll ask me how I found their story, and I won't lie to them about that. Usually, those authors appreciate that I have the courtesy to review them from a signed account so that they can have an open dialogue.

6/6 #2,754
Yemi Hikari

Except it's not different enough Venom.

"She finally made it to me an I reached for her eagerly," is just the writer rewording "we reached Edward then, and he held his hand out for mine." "Her skin was warm on mine and I squeezed her hand" is the writer rewording "his skin was always smooth, hard, and very cold. He gave my fingers a gentle squeeze." "I heard the change in her heartbeat and grinned at her" is just rewording "hearing the stutter in my hearbeat, he smiled again." "...stared into her melted chocolate eyes" just rewords "I looked into his liquid topaz eyes..."

The only line which is the writer's own is, "Unwilling to have her even at an arm's length away, I closed the distance between us and lifted my other hand to trace her lips with my fingers. I could feel her warm breath on my cold skin...." is the only thing not plagiarized from that paragraph, but some is just rewording things from other paragraphs, but this was only an example of some of the plagiarism going on as there are other paragraphs which are just the writer rewording Meyer's words.

Randy Ingermason - advancedfictionwriting dot com/blog/2010/06/09/fiction-writing-and-plagiarism/ - Plagiarism happens when you type out paragraphs or pages of somebody else's work and call it your own. It is still plagiarism if you tweak the words a bit. It is still plagiarism if you move a few sentences around.

Do the above in a professional novel and what you've published gets pulled from publication. The only difference is that plagiarism is taking words from one fandom and pretending it is a different fandom, but in this case the plagiarist is taking the words from the fandom they are supposed to be making a derivative work from. The fact it is supposed to be derivative of the work they're plagiarizing from doesn't make it not plagiarism. There's a reason to Wattpad's guidelines says "adaptations or slight alterations to a work, such as changing names, are a violation of copyright." in their guidelines. There's a reason A03 says " Simply finding and replacing names, substituting synonyms, or rearranging a few words is not enough to make the work original to you." It doesn't matter that this only occurs in ONE section, it's still plagiarism.

6/7 #2,755
catspats31

Do you think the story below breaks the rule against chat/script format?

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12967320/1/

6/17 #2,756
Cha's Aegis

Oooh, this one is a tough one. Someone else might come up with a better argument that it is chat/script, but I'm going to say it isn't.

It starts out like a letter. Even if it's an e-mail, it still falls into the same format. Obviously, where it gets tricky is the responses. However, I'm reading the responses as one would reply to an e-mail. They could be taken as IM responses, therefore making them chat/script, but how they are structured convinces me to give this story a pass. It's very close, but vague enough in my opinion.

6/17 #2,757
MrGoodyTwoShoes

It may not be chat/script but it's definitely Interactive given how the author is responding to the reviewers questions within it.

6/17 #2,758
ZadArchie

So, this story was sent to me via anonymous review, and even they weren't sure what to call it, but it does seem like there's a problem of some sort. Would I call this one second-person, you-based since the author is addressing the reader in a few spots, or is it MST because those spots where they're addressing the reader are basically author's notes and commentary on fanfiction?

6/21 #2,759
MrGoodyTwoShoes

I'll give them credit for being creative with it because at first glance it looks like a normal story till you catch their commentary breaks in between. A few things I picked up:

1) It definitely falls under the MST rule and specifically the portion about "inserted notes and commentary" which this has in spades. They were smart on how they hid it but they are still going against the rules of this. (side note - I hate these "here's how you write XXXX story" things. The sheer arrogance that one would know the ONLY WAY to write stories in a fandom and that everyone MUST DO THE SAME is just stupid. People who write those and present them as stories really need a smack to the head and should keep that crap on forums.)

2) I would not call it second person. While it does address the reader it does not tick the boxes for a second person story.

3) They're above the T-rating. It's actually just a few ticks over the line but enough that it should be mentioned as I don't think the author realizes it. If they changed it to M they'd be fine since the few chapters I read are nowhere near the MA line but as noted above the T rating.

edit - I should add it that since it hasn't been updated in over a year that chances are the author has walked away from it. Might not get much traction on it should you opt to try and deal with this one Zad.

6/21 . Edited 6/22 #2,760
« Prev Page 1 .. 82 89 90 91 92 93 Next »
Forum Moderators: CU Administration Cha's Aegis, WargishBoromirFan, Whimsical Symphony, MrGoodyTwoShoes
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member