Critics United
Critics United: a place for reviewers to gather and talk, exchange tales and support each other as we all try and help the authors of the site.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 12 19 20 21 22
Venomheart the Dreamer

You do know that Critics United cannot delete stories right? The most they can do is report. Why are you blaming Critics United when the authors themselves decide to remove their stories because it violated guidelines? If it's admin deletion - well, they've been warned and chose not to listen.

12/20/2017 #631
Qwerty65

And you can continue to say how stupid I am, and how much entertainment you get from me, when the fact of the matter is you will NEVER be rid me. Edit this if it makes you feel better, to me it shows your insecurities.

12/20/2017 #632
MrGoodyTwoShoes

No, what we will do is leave you messages up StachkeKing so everyone can see what a messed up person you really are. I mean, this level of assault is bordering on mental illness. You really should consider seeking out professional help.

12/20/2017 #633
iafjladf

Hi! First of all, I fully support this forum. People should follow the rules. And I am aware that I am breaking the rules, and I am in the process of remedying that. However, one of your reviewers is insulting the stories they review. And I don't thank that's okay. They said my story "likely won't be worth reading." I'm not going to name names here, but if you truly believe this is a problem, please PM me.

12/21/2017 #634
WargishBoromirFan

Technically, finn, Venom is not a member, but rather a like-minded ally. And sorry, but even if it wasn't phrased very sweetly, which he doesn't have to, (no reviewer does; being blunt about the work is not the same as flaming you as a writer) experience tells me that he is correct on that front. If you don't show the imagination to either come up with your own OCs or adapt canon characters from either the Warriors 'verse or another fandom to the roles you need, then I as a reader don't trust you to show the imagination to come up with much of a plot, either, and you don't exactly have any actual stories on your profile to build that trust. It's not that you can't get better - gods know my first fic was a massive Mary Sue and wasn't worth reading, either - but you've already got the Erins giving you characters. Are there none of them that you can use or tweak? Nothing from Richard Adams or Gabriel King or Tad Williams or Rita Mae Brown or Lauren Faust that could inspire you? Good luck.

12/21/2017 . Edited 12/21/2017 #635
Yemi Hikari

I'm not a member, but what Warg said. More specifically, this isn't a game. By posting publicly, you've become a published writer, but your work is out there for people to read and react to. The writer can't except special treatment, but if they're not ready for the blunt reviews that come with being a published writer, they need to honestly hold off posting stories online.

12/24/2017 #636
LeoTheQueen

I find this group amusing. Also if my stories and or profile for whatever reason are deleted I honestly pity my readers. Too much effort to change anything and I value my video games more than anything, writing is an after thought and a hobby which someone encouraged me to write for them on this site (I usually just read and review). But thank you for reviewing my story and sorry I will not be changing anything.

3/1 #637
Cha's Aegis

Like everything, the choice is all on you. You chose to write at someone else's encouragement. You chose to post on a site, like every singe site on the internet nowadays, that has TOS you have to agree to. You agreed to the writing guidelines when you posted. And you're making a choice not to follow the rules you agreed to.

You've made several choices of your own free will. We're just going to make one and report your story for any violations it contains. After that it's the site admins choice to do something about it or not.

Not sure why you're including your profile and all your stories as we only report one story per author at a time. No wonder you find us amusing, you didn't bother doing any research like you clearly didn't bother reading the TOS & guidelines you agreed to. Honestly, did you think they wouldn't be enforced by the site admins sooner or later whether we report the story or not?

Don't bother answering because it's clear you don't care and are just making sure we know how much you don't care. Nice waste of effort. We're still reporting. We're not sorry and thank you.

3/1 . Edited 3/1 #638
LeoTheQueen

I was sincere. But please by all means 'The Whine'. I did apologize did I not? I am okay with being reported seeing as there are plenty of stories here with explicit content....(Insert Thinking emoji)

This group is a voluntary stacking of individuals who think they control the site by regulating what people publish? We are all fully aware of what the TOS state. We are also fully aware of the many stories that have been on this site for YEARS, that have not been removed. Again, that is why this group amuses me. But alas I did apologize for lack of effort on my part to comply to your wishes 'Oh Great Ones'.

Happy reporting and Oh & Guys. I'm on ***. My user name '***'. Feel free to message and have a party chat. I'm always up for a debate.

And Yes the attention is very nice.

And Yes This really works.

Note: Redacted for spamming.

3/1 . Edited by Cha's Aegis, 3/1 #639
Minipa

Why do you even care about some random people think over the internet?

You are never going to see them and are going to forget them in a day.

I'm pretty sure it's been said many times that other people breaking the rules aren't a reason to break the rules as well.

If you don't care about your stories getting removed, than care so little that you can't even bother to spend your time replying to the reviews, or even to responses.

If you do care, then change the stories.

You found this group amusing, yet you cared enough to say that you don't care. You even said that you played a lot of video games and writing was something you didn't care about. If you had to respond to this forum in defense, it meant you cared - doesn't matter how much, but you did. You took the effort to mention it took too much effort to change anything. Why not just ignore CU and just keep posting if you didn't care? What's the point of even thanking them for the review and not change anything? They are some random people on the internet so there's really no point explaining yourselves to them.

Usually everyone's passive aggressive and presents their statements slightly self-righteously and pretentiously anyways, so I'll admit that I do it too.

You mentioned you apologized, but you apologized saying you are not changing anything? Isn't that just a more polite way to say f*ck off?

Again, you used other people breaking the rules to justify your own breaking. When does this argument work ever? Why bother apologizing to a group you find 'amusing' and probably not care about? You even left your name for PSN and asked for a 'debate.' That sounds like a more poetic version of 'cash me outside how bout dah?' Just because its presented differently it doesn't make it any less similar to 'fight me IRL.'

Think of it this way, I totally could have just ignored everything said here and just unsubscribed from the forum. However, I admit I do care enough to spend my time responding to people who would respond to me.

TL:DR Your argument is flawed, you are acting pretentiously, self-righteously, and are essentially complaining like a child but with the grammar and presentation skills of an adult.

Also, if you read through this paragraph, your ego will force you to reply to my comment with yet another response of similar presentation.

If you read through this whole paragraph, it means you somehow cared about what some random people over the internet thinks, and allowed them to affect your emotions in a negative way. You could technically call me out on doing the same thing, but I admit to that people over the internet do affect me even though they don't change anything.

3/1 . Edited by Cha's Aegis, 3/1 #640
Cha's Aegis
I was sincere. But please by all means 'The Whine'. I did apologize did I not? I am okay with being reported seeing as there are plenty of stories here with explicit content....(Insert Thinking emoji)

To be honest, it did come off as patronizing, especially the way you said you weren't going to make changes, which is your choice, but 'The Whine?' I never implied you were whining. Also, you're not sorry. You don't mean it. When someone is truly sorry they not only acknowledge what they did wrong, but they resolve to fix or not do that again. You didn't even acknowledge you broke the site rules you agreed to and you made it very clear you're not going to do anything about your story.

Again, it's your choice. You don't have to be sorry, you don't have to fix your story. I'm just making very clear that based on your choices we are going to report the story that got reviewed.

As for explicit content, yes, we do report those when we come across them, but we don't focus on just that. If you feel that it's such a massive problem, honestly, you should be doing your part and reporting those stories. You can do what we do and warn the writer before reporting or you could just submit an abuse report without saying a word and walk away. Otherwise, shut up about it. Do not imply that is what we should be focusing on. A violation is a violation.

This group is a voluntary stacking of individuals who think they control the site by regulating what people publish? We are all fully aware of what the TOS state. We are also fully aware of the many stories that have been on this site for YEARS, that have not been removed. Again, that is why this group amuses me. But alas I did apologize for lack of effort on my part to comply to your wishes 'Oh Great Ones'.

And you wonder why I question your sincerity. I also question your intelligence because we're not trying to control the site. The site admins do that and set their rules how they wanted them. No, I know you didn't bother reading the TOS. Most people don't. As for the stories that have been on this site for years, your point is? Again, shows your ignorance and laziness because had you bothered to learn how we work you'd know we don't waste our time on old stories and there aren't that many of us. Instead, we'll just focus on know-it-alls like you.

Happy reporting and Oh & Guys. I'm on PSN. My user name '***************'. Feel free to message and have a party chat. I'm always up for a debate.

And Yes the attention is very nice.

And Yes This really works.

Pffft, if this is how you debate then you've failed already by your own laziness. I am editing out your advertisement. Want attention? Pay us. Now go away. No one cares.

3/1 . Edited by MrGoodyTwoShoes, 3/1 #641
LillyOfFire

Hello guys,

I have a question and I hope you don't mind - do you ever leave anonymous reviews to fics?

I read on your Q&A section that you never do, but I've been getting a few of these in the course of time and frankly they have bothered me. The reason why I ask is because after getting the last of these a few days ago, yes, I went and deleted the author note which was in breach of regulation, but at the end of the following chap of my fic I did mention that anonymous comments do bother me because they're a refusal of dialogue (and because this person also 'kindly' suggested I should get a life outside fanfiction). I also pointed that if someone doesn't log in, they're not taking responsibility for their comment so I will disregard it. So the person came back and said "oh, so you don't like guest comments, even if they're trying to help? but what did I do wrong?" in yet another anonymous review.

In the same time I also got a review from one of you guys (who did log in) on the same author note I'd posted on another fic. I thanked them and deleted it from there too, but I'm wondering whether there's a connection. I am in doubt because the tone of the CU reviewer was very different and very polite, which further leads me to believe that the first person is in fact a troll.

Please let me know you view on this.

Thank you!

6/1 #642
Metal Navy

Regardless of whether they are polite or not, whether they are a troll or someone who's just trying to help, if it's anonymous, it's not a CU member. You can find all official CU members here.

6/1 #643
ZadArchie

But, you are right: there is a connection. There is an anonymous reviewer in your fandom who does try to review rule-breaking fics, but for whatever reason, doesn't use an account. Whenever this reviewer either gets a negative reaction or the author ignores them and continues to update, they send an anonymous review to me with a link to the story. This is how your story came onto my radar. Essentially, they are someone who follows our tipline process, but cannot or chooses not to have an account. But no official CU member will ever give you an anonymous review.

6/1 #644
LillyOfFire

Thank you for the clarification!

Frankly, I wish they would have referred it to you directly without their own input, which was quite unfortunate.

And yes, I did have a negative reaction, but not to the fact that they said I should remove the author note - which I did right away! - but to their reply on the actual content of my author note which for some reason they took personally and decided to offend me about. My 'negative reaction' was also that I pointed out the unfairness of being threatened to have your fic reported without allowing you the possibility to ask for explanations or any kind of civilized discussion. I am more than open to constructive criticism that is delivered to me in a polite way and always reply in the same fashion.

You will forgive me for saying this, but no wonder authors ignore or react negatively to this person, they are aggressive and rude and that's probably why they don't log in.

6/1 #645
Yemi Hikari

I've dealt with one of these before, so yeah, that's why. They don't understand why people aren't bowing down to them under their signed account, so they tried sockpuppeting as an anon to get their way. Mine sadly created a sockpuppet signed account, but because they did I'd asked the admins to look into things and because I knew WHO they were they got a ban of some kind on both accounts so they couldn't review anybody, because I was not the only person. Of course, there are numbers attached to anon reviews, so one simply needs to send those in to the admins via e-mail and they will look into things.

6/1 #646
ZadArchie
Frankly, I wish they would have referred it to you directly without their own input, which was quite unfortunate.

Actually, for me, I'd rather people try it themselves first before dragging CU into a situation. There are some other anonymous reviewers (and even people with signed accounts) who review/PM me to review rule-breaking stories at the drop of a hat like I'm their personal genie because they don't have the guts to do it themselves. And that ticks me off to no end. For our tipline, we strongly encourage users to review themselves first, and only when it goes sour to ask for our help. At least that way, we're not always getting thrown directly into hostile environments (mostly). Some of these tipline reviewers do stir the pot, making things worse for us, but the good outweighs the bad here.

My 'negative reaction' was also that I pointed out the unfairness of being threatened to have your fic reported without allowing you the possibility to ask for explanations or any kind of civilized discussion. I am more than open to constructive criticism that is delivered to me in a polite way and always reply in the same fashion.

I think that's fair. I don't throw around the "report" word a lot in my reviews, as I'd rather you have a plethora of options for how to avoid that kind of unpleasantness, but every reviewer does it differently here. Besides, I'm more likely to get better results and better conversation with authors if I don't go in "guns ablaze."

6/1 #647
TARDIS1039

Hey, thanks for the review, I am aware of the guidelines but I have some concerns. I have seen some stories with song lyrics in them that's been on the site since 2009 (there a lot of stories that feature the music of Elton John which my story includes) which was after the guidelines was updated, some of them are normal stories and some are songfics (which are an exception?) and they haven't been touched. So what's up with that?

On a side note, the guidelines just encourage what not to do on FF, it doesn't enforce them so it's not mandatory to follow them.

6/20 #648
MrGoodyTwoShoes
I have seen some stories with song lyrics in them that's been on the site since 2009 (there a lot of stories that feature the music of Elton John which my story includes) which was after the guidelines was updated, some of them are normal stories and some are songfics (which are an exception?) and they haven't been touched. So what's up with that?

And? Just because others may have done it doesn't make it right. We're also not a all seeing, all knowing group. People review as they see things and condering the group wasn't around in 2009 you cannot expect us to be aware of things like that.

You should also express your concern to the admins of the site since this is getting into an area that members of Critics United have no power or say over.

On a side note, the guidelines just encourage what not to do on FF, it doesn't enforce them so it's not mandatory to follow them.

RULES and guidelines. Don't ignore the full terms just because you don't like it. You can choose to follow that line of thinking as well but once you are reported and your story removed and (possibly) your account banned then your thought process isn't much help.

No one wants that to happen so why not just remove the lyrics and stay on the right side of the rules?

6/20 #649
Yemi Hikari

Chances are though, the admins aren't going to change the rule regarding song fic. It's a definite copyright issue. Even published writers get nicked by the publishing industry when their use is in fair use, but a lot in fanfic really isn't in fair use. No, seriously - published writers have been made to pay money for single lines of prose despite not being the central key element of the song. They don't want to pay 100 to 500 per line per use, but I've heard some artists charge as much as 1000 per line.

Can I add here that slow to enforce is not the same as not enforcing something, but this is no different than arguing that you can break the law because nobody enforces said law. Enforcing requires catching, but also a due process which takes time. The fact you didn't get caught before is a mute point. Yes, due process takes longer than on other sites, but at least you get due process.

6/20 #650
Venomheart the Dreamer
Can I add here that slow to enforce is not the same as not enforcing something, but this is no different than arguing that you can break the law because nobody enforces said law. Enforcing requires catching, but also a due process which takes time. The fact you didn't get caught before is a mute point. Yes, due process takes longer than on other sites, but at least you get due process.

I would say the admins actively turn a blind eye to certain stories or if it's older than x years they don't bother, especially since there are famous/popular stories that blatantly violate this website's rules.

Copyright lyrics seems to be something they're somewhat keen on enforcing though (at least if it's new.)

6/20 #651
TARDIS1039

I fixed my story... happy now?

6/22 #652
MrGoodyTwoShoes

Why do you think this is about our happiness? Isn't it more that you did it because you want to keep your writing here in case you were reported for using copyrighted song lyrics?

6/22 #653
TARDIS1039

Well yeah. But wouldn't you be happy if someone took your advice instead of ignoring it?

6/22 #654
WargishBoromirFan
It's never a bad thing, but if you want a cookie for basic decency, I'm afraid I couldn't be bothered to bake any this morning, sorry.
6/22 #655
MrGoodyTwoShoes
Well yeah. But wouldn't you be happy if someone took your advice instead of ignoring it?

True but the end part "happy now?" comes across as needlessly sarcastic and snarky. If that was not your intention then I apologize for being a tad defensive as we've had others pass through and say exactly you did and not truly be sincere about it.

6/22 #656
« Prev Page 1 .. 12 19 20 21 22
Forum Moderators: CU Administration Cha's Aegis, WargishBoromirFan, Whimsical Symphony, MrGoodyTwoShoes
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member