Apocalypse
A modern fantasy setting in which magic has returned just in time for the recipients to be immune to a zombie outbreak.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Nitrogen Triiodide

Silnaen was standing within an old home. But it was not a normal home, the paint had long since peeled, gone beyond all recognition of color. Wooden planks from the walls were often missing, allowing the cold, gray light from the overcast outside to find its way in. The whole house groaned with even the slightest gusts of wind, and a quiet rasp whispered its way through the broken, tilted walls.

The floor gave as he walked, creaking with each step as he made his way down the hall. An ornamental table, which had once been covered in fine china and pictures, was now shattered on the ground at his feet. Everything was covered with a layer of dust as thick as his finger, and the disturbance Silnaen's presence caused filled the air with a choking cloud of the stuff.

The whole house was slanted, all of it leaning in towards a single room at the core of the building, just below the stairway up. A single unlocked door was all that barred his entry.

And yet, Silnaen could not bring himself to enter. His scaled hand rested on the knob, yet something prevented him.

"You must come; see with your own eyes," a woman's voice said quietly behind him.

He turned, not alarmed at all for some strange reason. She stood there, dressed in an elegant gown, some five paces away from him. A sad expression adorned her face, and a necklace of some black metal hung from her neck.

"Where are you?" He asked, not understanding why.

"Follow the currents of magic, you will find your way."

With that, Silnaen awoke.

"…holy shit," he muttered.

9/17/2010 #1
Nitrogen Triiodide

Earth is not the same. Magic and non human races were commonplace as far back as history goes. Society and the world advanced alongside them, ushered along by the elves or shunted back into darker ages by the orcs.

But magic slowly gave way to technology. The mystic forces seemed to weaken in the hands of those who used it, cold steel taking its place. A few retained the gifts of magic, though the force that had brought the sentient races out of the mud was relegated to inferior supporting roles.

Then, in the winter of 2012, a solar event occurred, in accordance with Mayan prophecy. Energy from the sun caused a major surge in magic strength on Earth, reigniting the magic that had gone nearly dormant. Those who had possessed no power before were now flooded with it, even if they had no clue how to wield it.

Whether by accident or design, disaster struck. In the spring of 2013 some forgotten necromancy unleashed a plague upon the world. Those few who had been blessed with magic, roughly 2 million globally, were immune, the rest of the world's billions fell victim to it.

But this was no ordinary plague. Those infested with it rose shortly after their death with the sole purpose of destroying anyone who was not like them. They did not need to eat or sleep, they seemed to feel no pain, and they came with a relentless abandon. Races such as the Asani and orcs responded even worse to the plague, mutating horribly into nightmarish creatures that joined the ranks of relentless human undead.

It has been two weeks since the outbreak destroyed civilization, and those few survivors that are scattered across the globe must now face the nightmare that has become existence.

9/17/2010 #2
bh18

In a dusty valley of what most still know as the American Great Planes, Sam rode a motor cycle down an old crumbling rode.

9/18/2010 #3
Nitrogen Triiodide

Silnaen was walking, not the best idea, but his only option. There should be a town ahead, according to the map he had, once there he could resupply and perhaps find a faster means of transportation. At his current pace, reaching the west coast would take months.

Most would think it odd, but for him, it made perfect sense. Just before this had all started, he had had a really weird dream, about an old house and a sad girl who told him to find her. From what she had said, the flow of magic would guide him.

And every night, a strange sensation like a light, electrified breeze would pass over his body as he slept. It always came from the west. So he was following it, because during the apocalypse, he had nothing better to do.

Somewhere in the distance, he heard a motorcycle.

9/18/2010 #4
bh18

Sam spotted a speck of a person up ahead. Not one to believe in paranoia he took out his handgun and weighed it in his hand. Full clip. He set it back in the holster, open, and eased off the throttle.

9/18/2010 #5
Nitrogen Triiodide

Silnaen had had his fair share of raiders in the last two weeks, but solitary travelers usually weren't violent. Nevertheless, he clicked off the safety on his pistol where it sat on his belt and stepped a little off the road.

9/18/2010 #6
bh18

Sam parked the bike a few hundred feet behind Silnaen and got off. "Hey." He said.

9/18/2010 #7
Nitrogen Triiodide

"Hey," he replied, not moving. This man appeared to be as cautious as he was, so it disregarded him as an immediate threat, "Got anything to trade?" It had become a common practice in his experience for survivors to exchange goods with one another, almost all of his conversations with strangers had started that way.

9/18/2010 #8
bh18

"Depends.... do you?" Sam replied. Always a standard question to ask.

9/18/2010 #9
Nitrogen Triiodide

"Got a box or two of 9mm I probably won't need, spare magnesium striker too. And if you don't mind dry bread, I've been eating it for the past week," he offered. Food, ammo, utility item. Nice spread, he thought. His hunting rifle swung a little on his shoulder as he took a step in the man's direction.

9/18/2010 . Edited 9/18/2010 #10
bh18

"I've got some birdshot I picked up, a can opener and 20oz of water I can spare." Sam said.

9/18/2010 #11
Nitrogen Triiodide

"Trade you three days of the bread for the can opener," he offered.

9/18/2010 #12
bh18

"Show me the bread first." Another standard question before a transaction was made.

9/18/2010 #13
Nitrogen Triiodide

He slipped a hand into his pack, pulling out three square packets of bread. They were covered with green plastic wrap, like an MRE, but had a small clear viewing window so that anyone could check to see if they had gone bad. Standard issue emergency rations.

9/18/2010 #14
bh18

Sam pulled the out the can opener from his pack. It was a standard kitchen variety but would do good.

9/18/2010 #15
Nitrogen Triiodide

Silnaen walked the rest of the distance over, keeping his right hand, with the food, extended and far from his pistol. The other hand was held out, palm facing towards the man. Instinct made him curl the fingers in slightly, an Asani habit that kept the claws from being seen. Among their kind, it was a sign of good faith.

9/18/2010 #16
bh18

Sam held the can opener far from him and his pistol and the other hand held up, palm open. Common sign of no hostility.

9/18/2010 #17
Nitrogen Triiodide

"Where you headed?" He asked after they had exchanged the items. It had left the realm of apocalypse traditions, Silnaen was just curious.

9/18/2010 #18
bh18

"Nearest town. Might be fuel."

9/18/2010 #19
Nitrogen Triiodide

"Mind if I tag along? I'll throw in another piece of the bread, you'd save me a day of travel," he gestured down the road he had been walking. Hot afternoon sun poured down on it, making heat waves rise from the cracked pavement. To an Asani, this was heaven, they were built for the desert, but he still wanted to be in the town as soon as he could. Most of his talents replied upon buildings being present.

9/18/2010 #20
bh18

"Forget the bread, just help me search when we get there and we'll split the spoils." Sam said.

9/18/2010 #21
Nitrogen Triiodide

"Deal," he held out his hand to shake, this time curling the ends of the fingers back so that he wouldn't accidentally cut the man, "My name's Silnaen."

(Posted a new thread, may want to check it out)

9/18/2010 #22
bh18

Sam took the hand. "Samuel or Sam. Whichever you prefer."

9/18/2010 #23
Nitrogen Triiodide

"A pleasure," Silnaen said as they shook, "Well then..." he glanced at the motorcycle, not sure exactly how to arrange himself on it.

9/18/2010 #24
bh18

Sam went back and got back on it. "Get on behind me." He said.

9/18/2010 #25
Nitrogen Triiodide

Silnaen somewhat awkwardly got on. He had never ridden a motorcycle before, hadn't done much driving either. Sure he had ridden plenty of cars, but when he really needed to go somewhere, he would usually just run across the buildings or through parks.

9/18/2010 #26
bh18

Sam started the bike and revved a little before throttling it and taking off.

9/18/2010 #27
Nitrogen Triiodide

Silnaen held on best he could, watching as the hot ground that had previously taken so long to cross sped past him. Yes, if he was going to proceed west, he would need motorized transportation.

9/18/2010 #28
bh18

What would've taken a day for Silnaen was a couple hours at full throttle. Good thing too, the cycle was running on a gallon of reserve Sam brought.

9/18/2010 #29
Nitrogen Triiodide

As they pulled into the town, an abandoned gas station stood off to their right. Silnaen hopped off the motorcycle, glancing around at the lay of the buildings. It looked every bit like a small town in the mid USA, there wouldn't be that many infected left here, "If you want to start at that station, I can get a better layout of the city from up there," he pointed at a three story building that had been under construction. The second and third floor were nothing but steel reinforcing bars, "Meet you back here in a half an hour?"

9/18/2010 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Nitrogen Triiodide
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member