Help from Mr Benedict
"Oh, welcome. Do you need assistance? Don't worry. Come in, please. The children and I would love to help."
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Dove's Wing

"Hello, children. It's certainly great to see you!

I, as you must know, am Nicholas Benedict, though of course, you could always refer to me as Mr. Benedict. I believe I'm more commonly known by my surname.

Here is one of my companions, Number Two. And before you inquire, no, that is not her real name, but she'd prefer to go by that. Understood?

And to my right here, is Miss Rhonda Kazembe, my other much appreciated helper, and my second adopted daughter.

We are here to give any help for...well, grammar. If you are unsure of a grammatical or spelling situation, please stop by. It'd be a pleasure to help!"

12/10/2010 #1
ka has moved

Mr Benedict! Wonderful to meet you, I'm a huge fan.

I was wondering - what's the deal with apostrophe-s? For example, if you have a name that ends with 's', would you say "s's" or just "s' "? Everyone has different opinions, and frankly it's annoying me.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

~ Kahlan

12/15/2010 #2
Dove's Wing

Oh, there's not much to me to be a fan of, but thank you all the same. I apologize for my late reply, as the manager of this thread isn't always prompt.

That's quite a well thought out question, Kahlan. I do believe it was once "s's", but a grammatical law was passed, stating that one should only allow an apostrophe. Very true; I've seen people use both. It's a grammar disagreement, I suppose.

I hope I was able to help.

Note: Honestly, I'm not sure. I remember something about a grammar rule change from school, but that could have been the 'don't put a comma before "and" when listing things' one... But I do know what you mean by how irksome it is... Sorry I couldn't be of much assistance...

1/2/2011 #3
Grammar Defender

Hello, Mr. Benedict. I hear that you are an expert upon grammar (among countless other things), and I come to you with a bit of a quandary concerning parentheses and capatilization.

How do you begin a parenthetical phrase? Do you capitalize the first letter, or not? The way that I've always written it, if the phrase in the parentheses is a sentence fragment I don't capitalize the first letter, but if it is a complete sentence, I do. For example, I wouldn't capitalize the parenthetical statement, "(not to mention a fire hydrant)," but I would capitalize, "(I shall refrain from expounding upon the fire hydrant.)." Is this format grammatically correct?

Thank you very much for your time, sir.

~Grammar Defender~

5/2/2011 #4
GreatKateZonkeyMachine

Again, I'm not Mr. Benedict, but I shall answer for him.

If it's a complete sentence, you capitalize it and use punctuation. If it's not a complete sentence, you don't do either of those things (unless it starts with "I" and/or ends with a question or exclamation). Also, sometimes (though I don't know exactly when), the parenthetical phrase goes after the non-parenthetical sentence. As in, outside of the punctuation. Sometimes.

5/2/2011 #5
TheBigCat

Hey, has anyone noticed that 'Lethdropda Curtain' sounds like : Let drop the curtain?

4/24/2012 #6
Forum Moderators: Dove's Wing AdorableElephant
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member