First Ever Casson Family Series Forum!
Come here for the latest news on the Casson Family Series, to discuss pairings like Tom/Rose, and in general to discuss why we love this series so much! :- :-
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
DiegoRedeemedLover

Let's discuss Rose's Blog,

Link:

Here.

Can we consider the blog canon? Do you think Mckay might get Tom and Rose together through the blog? :) For those who have read the blog, what did you think of the Indigo/Sarah almost break-up because of the Icelandic girl Ilse? And any others can bring up more questions to discuss here too....

11/4/2010 #1
Holly-Rose Fowl-Casson

1, yes, 2, she's already started ages ago, 3, I thought of it as a bit of comedic relief. Not that any is needed, but I did find it hilarious. Also, I thought that Rose was 14, not 13, by now.

12/29/2010 #2
DiegoRedeemedLover

Hi again Holly-Rose! It's so good to have you here! :)

In response to your answers.

1, I'm glad we agree on that - I've been hoping for ages that the Blog is canon, specially since McKay has announced that the upcoming new book, Caddy's World, is a prequel and not the final chapter to the series. :( 2, lol yes I've noticed. ^^ I have an entire page of all the hints she has given us Tom/Rose-wise... I'm a relentless Tom/Rose shipper. 3, I didn't find it be a bit of comedic relief, but I must admit it was hilarious.

To your last statement, yes, Rose is fourteen now, not thirteen. McKay confirmed it when she updated for All Hallows Eve in her "Latest News" section on the site, which has since been changed for more updates on recent news. And also... now that you're here, I guess I better get to work on making some more topics to discuss, or you could make your own topic for us to discuss. :)

12/31/2010 #3
Holly-Rose Fowl-Casson

I also ship Tom/Rose quite relelntlessly. Haha, my friends accuse me of having a crush on Tom. I love all the Tom/Rose hints, and the Doctor Who references. ^_^ And I did see that on the Hallowe'en update. Yeah, I'm also a bit disappointed about Caddy's World being a prequel, but it will be interesting to see what was mentioned in Saffy's Angel.

12/31/2010 #4
DiegoRedeemedLover

Having never seen Doctor Who, I can't really appreciate all the references :/ but anywhoo, I myself think that I have a small crush on Tom - he's quite irresistible, and not to mention, he and Rose are perfect together. :D

Anyone who's a true Casson Family Series fan is going to be disappointed that Caddy's World is a prequel I believe.... Stephy and I were discussing briefly that I should maybe make a topic focused on a campaign for a genuine sixth book (set after Forever Rose of course) but I must admit I can't wait to see what happened before in the prequel that is only alluded to in Saffy's Angel. Unfortunately for us American fans though, McKay still apparently does not know when, if ever, the prequel Caddy's World will release into the US.... augh.

12/31/2010 #5
SummerStarWatcher

I 3 Rose + Tom! Most fated couple ever, best to write about. I do hope they get together in Rose's blog.

But about Caddy's World,

What? No US release? Nooo!

I'm almost glad Caddy's world is a prequel. I mean, I'd love to find out what happens after Forever Rose, but it's almost better to just imagine it... gives us more scope for fanfiction :) And I've always thought Caddy wasn't talked about enough, especially her childhood. The youngest she ever is in the books is thirteen, for only the first few chapters of Saffy's Angel. She's so unique, compared to any of the other characters. I'm interested to find out her story.

12/31/2010 #6
DiegoRedeemedLover

Yay, SummerStarWatcher, you came! We're so glad to have you here!

Me too! I so hope they get together on Rose's Blog, that'd be terribly stupendous/amazing/gorgeous/(I'm running out of adjectives....) But really, if she gets them together at least somewhere, fans will be squeeing in joy, we've waited so long for this! :D

Here's the news from Mckay's site (I check it often - and augh, no updates to the Blog as of late. *Sigh* Anyway, book news. Here is what McKay has announced about it:

"Caddy's World News.

Lots of you in America have asked, Will it be published here too? I still cannot say for certain, but I think it might be. Because this is the message I had from my editor in New York, after she read it:

'Dear Unleasher of Genies, BRAVA!!!! The Humble Editor'

And I think that sounds positive.

Here in the (snowy) UK the publication date is May 5th."

So.... it's still vague. I still hope it gets published over here, as I will read anything Casson Family related. Like the Blog. ;)

but it's almost better to just imagine it... gives us more scope for fanfiction :) SummerStarWatcher, you are a kindred spirit! :D

12/31/2010 #7
DiegoRedeemedLover

Continuation of my reply, as I don't know how to turn off the "quote" thing in the box without making a mess of the rest of my reply :/

You are right about Caddy, SummerStarWatcher. Other than in Saffy's Angel, there are allusions to her past and her story, but they are only mentioned briefly at best. I've always thought Caddy to be a fascinating character (she and Rose reminds me a lot of myself, that's probably why) and I must admit that it will be neat to see the events that shaped Cadmium Casson into her she is, because that was a insightful observation that she is rather pushed aside in Saffy's Angel because 1) Rose steals every scene she's in, from eating the paint in chapter one and then throughout the rest of the book she continues to do so, and 2) the focus of Saffy's Angel is on Saffy, though Rose, being the Ensemble Darkhorse that she is, captured everyone's interest in the other books. No offense to the other characters, but Rose has a habit of doing that. lol.

12/31/2010 #8
SummerStarWatcher

Aww, I feel so loved! You can call me Star, by the way. It's way easier.

Well, that certainly is good news about the US release. I'm really excited about Caddy's world, as she is one of my favorite characters. We really are kindred spirits, as I see myself as a mishmash of Caddy and Rose as well :) perhaps you're my long-lost sibling? Back on topic, I'm curious to see how an adolescent Caddy deals with having such interesting younger siblings. I wonder if Eve is any less scatterbrained, not having had to deal with all of those strong wills yet, and if Bill is around more. Maybe the entire Casson household will be more organized. More likely, though, Eve will be just as flustered and Bill just as absent as the other books. I'm also looking forward to hearing about little Saffy and baby Indigo, and how they contribute to Caddy's personality. Should be a very interesting book.

On a side note, how come you haven't written any Casson Family fanfiction, DiegoRedeemedLover? You seem to love it so much, giving me such fantastic reviews (thanks for those, by the way, I love knowing that people appreciate my work :D), so I was just wondering why you haven't written any yourself. And you have a good understanding of the books and the characters, so it just got me thinking. That's all.

Happy new years, everybody!

~Star

12/31/2010 #9
Holly-Rose Fowl-Casson

First of all, Star, thanks for posting another chapter!

I hope Caddy's World released in the US . . . if not, there's always Amazon UK.

Hilary McKay also said that Rose's Blog would most likely never be published as a book, so it would be confusing to the people who hadn't read the blog for another book to be published.

And Happy New Year!

1/1/2011 #10
DiegoRedeemedLover

I concur with Holly-Rose Fowl Casson, thank you for that lovely update, Star! :-)

I also hope that Caddy's World will release into the US (McKay's news seemed to indicate it might be) and like Star mentioned, it will probably be a very interesting book, the dynamics of the characters when they were younger, and Caddy experiencing a rather tumultuous childhood I'd bet, because of the arrival of Saffy into their lives. Now I'm all the more interested in seeing the book release here! It's really a shame that there isn't a bigger fandom for the books in the US, they deserve a bigger fandom I think. :-)

@Holly-Rose yes, I saw that too, much to my disappointment, as the blog would make a great sixth book - of sorts. It really isn't even that different from Forever Rose, which was told in a first-person diary sort of form, if anything.

On a side note, how come you haven't written any Casson Family fanfiction, DiegoRedeemedLover? You seem to love it so much, giving me such fantastic reviews (thanks for those, by the way, I love knowing that people appreciate my work :D), so I was just wondering why you haven't written any yourself. And you have a good understanding of the books and the characters, so it just got me thinking. That's all.

:D Why, thank you for your interest, Star! In fact, I am working on a Two-Shot at the moment based off the 19 December 2010 blogpost, which alternately caused me to squee inwardly with pent-up joy (and I even had someone to squee/ m*** together with - Stephy-Lou Clark-Weasley - on the first topic "Upcoming New Book: Caddy's World because I posted about it there) and a minor heroic bsod since the hints Rose gave about what happened between her and Tom {because something has obviously "happened" between them} are so vague and we only know that something has come about to make her ask him that, but we don't know the background, so I was inspired to write Three O'Clock in the Morning, (already at 1,137 words. *Sigh* my stories have a habit of doing that) which is going to fill in the gaps of what transpired between Tom and Rose, told in first person by the two of them at the various times at their ends.

This is my first time writing a Casson Family fic though, and I only own Saffy's Angel out of all five books, (though, lol, I have chunks of the books memorized) although I do haunt the Blog rather erm, obsessively, but I am still rather hesitant about it, as this is my first time really writing Rose, Tom, and the Cassons, so I really hope they are all in character. lol I have read so much Permanent Rose Casson that I am starting to think like her, so it shouldn't be too hard. I hope. :-)

1/1/2011 . Edited 1/1/2011 #11
SummerStarWatcher

You're welcome, you guys! I'll try to update more regularly, but school keeps messing me up.

And thank you thank you thank you for telling me there was a new update on Rose's blog! I, too, used to check it obsessively, but then as no updates came, the recurring disappointment grew too much for me. I just read it and now I really really really want to know what went on between Tom and Rose!! What "other things" did Tom say?? You're totally right, something has definitely happened between them:)I can't take the suspense! And the whole bit about Buttercup was hilarious. You'd think that four people with a combined age of seventy-seven would know better than to give sugar to a three-year-old in the middle of the night! And I totally get Buttercup's fear, I was a bit scared of Santa for a while too, especially the one in the mall....

"the hints Rose gave about what happened between her and Tom {because something has obviously "happened" between them} are so vague and we only know that something has come about to make her ask him that, but we don't know the background, so I was inspired to write Three O'Clock in the Morning, (already at 1,137 words. *Sigh* my stories have a habit of doing that) which is going to fill in the gaps of what transpired between Tom and Rose, told in first person by the two of them at the various times at their ends."

Okay, you've got me interested now. I'm super looking forward to your story! I'm confidant that it will be great and in character and just all around awesome. And the longer it is, the better, so please, write every detail! I can't wait to read it. Good luck!

1/1/2011 #12
Holly-Rose Fowl-Casson

Okay, just randomly thought of this while reading the post on Rose and Ollie. Tom/Rose is sort of like Amy/Rory/Doctor, from Doctor Who. Amy being Rose, the Doctor being Tom, and Rory being another guy that Rose meets. With Amy/Rory/Doctor, the Doctor's the one Amy is crushing on, and Rory's her boyfriend (now husband). What I'm saying is that Rose is probably (canonly) going to get over Tom, and get married to some other guy (who we all hate). Maybe. Just random . . .

1/3/2011 #13
DiegoRedeemedLover

O.O O.O

Oh no.... please don't even think of that Holly-Rose! At best, I hope Ollie will only be a OneShot Character, and so far there's been no mention of him again, and Rose has implicitly implied that her heart belongs only to Tom. So. (yeah, I have a problem of thinking and writing like Rose a lot. lol)

But then again, I am totally not adverse to Wild Mass Guessing in the Casson Family series, I can't bear the thought of Mckay sinking the ship of Tom/Rose. T_T

@Star thanks again for your interest in my story! Yes, I really hope it turns out all right, I'm working on both their parts at once (Tom's has almost reached the dialogue of the Dec. 19th update!) so it hope it turns out fine.

I just read it and now I really really really want to know what went on between Tom and Rose!! What "other things" did Tom say?? You're totally right, something has definitely happened between them:)

Aye, that is exactly it, Star! The "other things" Tom said just gripped my imagination (and terribly, terribly, terribly excited me. Ever.so.much.) that I just had to write a story based off of that Blog update!

And question: please tell me I am not the only one yearning for people to write more fanfictions based off the Blog? I mean, it's practically canon!

1/3/2011 #14
SummerStarWatcher

Oh no, now I'm really worried about Ollie reappearing! He better not! Now you've made me extra anxious that Tom/Rose will never happen, Holly-Rose.... But no, we all must think positive thoughts.

Anyway, I keep meaning to write a story based off the Blog. The thing with my current story is, I started it ages ago before I knew about the Blog. So I didn't go through and change things around to match the events in the Blog, but later tried to incorporate some things into the story (like Indigo telling Rose that Tom is too old for her.) I know it really doesn't fit with the blog at all, but I'll write a new one that is an extension of one of the Blog posts, kind of like what I think you're story's gonna be like.

But people other than us need to start using the Blog more for ideas. I mean, come on. There's just so much good stuff in there, think of what people could create!

1/3/2011 #15
Holly-Rose Fowl-Casson

Sorry, it was just a random rant.

About fanfiction for the blog, yes, yes, there really needs to be more! I've only found one fanfic that actually acknowledges that there is a blog. Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5903011/5/Totally_Rose I love the writing style, it's almost exactly like Rose's in the books and the blog. Only, it's been left since April, and of course it ends at a cliffhanger . . . . And I really hope (sorry random) that McKay includes a little more detail of the last post in the next one.

1/4/2011 #16
DiegoRedeemedLover

Aw, that's okay Holly-Rose :) It just might be that Star and I are such relentless Tom/Rose shippers is why we just cannot believe that McKay might end up sinking the ship...

Speaking of fanfiction for the blog (and yes, I love Totally Rose! The author so needs to update it!) I have written a small oneshot that is tangentially connected to Three O'Clock in the Morning, which is admittedly still in progress... but anyway, it's an expansion of the Dec. 24th 2009 sledging scene Rose mentions on her blog.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6659152/1/In_the_Snow.

Hope you all like it! :-)

1/17/2011 . Edited 1/17/2011 #17
Holly-Rose Fowl-Casson

I'm quite relentless as well, only I tend to be more gloomy and depressing . . . and I wasn't exactly thinking of McKay sinking the ship, I was just thinking of it happening. If that makes sense.

About the fanfic, I really liked it, as you can tell by the review.

1/18/2011 #18
DiegoRedeemedLover

lol hi again Holly-Rose! I think we just reviewed on Star's update to Mismanagement at the same time! :D

I can understand you thinking that given what you mentioned, and I guess you do have some right to believe to be thinking of it (potentially) happening, though we all would probably go mad if that actually happened....

And thank you for the review! I had an inkling that I probably didn't have Rose down completely well, but I just saw the images of the snow, and them falling, and that happening whilst in church and I just had to write it....

Thank you for favoriting it too! I tried my hardest with it, and I'm trying even harder with Three O'Clock in the Morning! :-)

1/18/2011 #19
SummerStarWatcher

Hi guys! Thanks for the reviews! They were great, I'm so glad you like my story. 3

Anyway, I just want to think only positive thoughts in terms of Tom and Rose's budding relationship. I'm far too superstitious, so I don't want to tempt Fate (or Hilary McKay) into making my nightmares into reality. Melodramatic, I know. Ah well.

I just read your story, DiegoRedeemedLover, and I really like it! I thought it was well written, and there were a couple phrases that I liked in particular. (Details in my review). Still looking forward to Three O'Clock in the Morning; do you have any idea when it will be finished?

1/18/2011 #20
Holly-Rose Fowl-Casson

Haha, I've actually written fanfiction during church. Well, it was sort of a dream-ish. And a bit before church . . . Did I mention I tend to be quite random? Just warning . . .

1/18/2011 #21
SummerStarWatcher

During church? Isn't that kind of frowned upon... Ah well, i wouldn't know. I'm an atheist.

Anyway, I was going to ask you guys a question. So I just finished writing the next chapter of Mismanagement but I wasn't sure when I should put it up. I like to put up my stories/chapter right after I write them, but usually I don't have time to write a new chapter for a while. (I was able to write it really fast this time.) So the question is, do I update sooner or later? Thoughts?

1/18/2011 #22
Holly-Rose Fowl-Casson

Hmm . . . I say wait maybe a week before posting it . . . Or maybe a Valentine's Day special chapter?

1/19/2011 #23
RicardianScholar Clark-Weasley

speaking of fanfiction, i have started another Casson crossover only this time with Harry Potter. what do you think Harry's life would be like if he was raised by the Cassons? and what Hogwarts would be like if Rose went there?

1/26/2011 #24
DiegoRedeemedLover

Sounds interesting, Stephy! *Goes to read*

@Star, saw the update to Mismanagement, sorry I haven't reviewed, I've been busy :S

@both Star and Holly-Rose regarding your discussion about whether writing fanfics in church is allowed lol well... for me I wasn't writing anything. I was just zoning..out in the middle of the sermon :S

To everyone: if you need any ideas for more Casson Family Fic stories to do, I've made a prompt forum topic called Canon Fodder that details other scenes missing from the books/the Blog that we could do..

1/26/2011 #25
SummerStarWatcher

Crossovers always interest me, I love seeing how creative people get with them. I'll go read yours in a minute, Stephy. (And I'll review, of course!) I'm sure it's fantastic. :)

About the zoning out thing, I do that all the time in class. I am forever getting yelled at for not paying attention, or staring out the window. (The sky is just so interesting sometimes...) So I can totally see just spacing out and planning a story during church. The actual writing of the story, though, should probably take place elsewhere. Just saying.

And I am now going to add so many things to the Canon Fodder (nice pun, there, by the way) that everyone will get overwhelmed at how much is missing from the books. We should try to do aaaall of the things people mention there. (I'm actually glad you've started this; I already had a mental list going and was a bit apprehensive about trying to complete it all by myself.)

1/26/2011 #26
Holly-Rose Fowl-Casson

@Stephy-Lou Clark-Weasley Harry would be less accepting of his fame, and about Rose going to Hogwarts, she would always be in trouble with Filch . . . I suppose she would be accused for writing in blood on the walls about the chamber of secrets.

About spacing out, I usually get an idea that way, but I'm so forgetful that I forget it within five minutes. I usually write it down at the first opportunity I get.

(Also love the Canon Fodder pun . . . )

1/26/2011 #27
DiegoRedeemedLover

Yes, crossovers are so much fun, lol I actually wrote a small crossover some time back that slightly crossed over Ice Age (2002) and PoTC. haha

@Stephy I will be following along with your HP/Casson Family series fic, but sadly I can't review because I have never read the HP books. O.o But I will be following it eagerly! :D

@Star and Holly-Rose I can't claim any right for the name "Canon Fodder" I actually discovered that first at tvtropes . org, where the trope describes basically "fodder within canon" that provides impetus for more stories, ahem, fanfiction based off of it. And yay lol again we appear to think alike, because reading (I mean rereading ;) ) the books over again made me realise how little McKay has actually shown us, and oooh, the desire for more stories to explain/justify/explore this.

1/26/2011 . Edited 1/26/2011 #28
RicardianScholar Clark-Weasley

Yes i have to say i have a habit of zoning out in some classes...not a good thing really when i need notes for the exam revision.

Holly-Rose, you're write about Rose getting into trouble with Filch a lot. with all that wall to draw on she will be in trouble a lot

1/27/2011 #29
Forum Moderators: DiegoRedeemedLover
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member