District 14
We could be a career pack. We bash people to death with our laptops. And steal their wifi.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
whisperasweknowit

District 15 is an offshoot of District 14. When District 14 was founded, its main goal was, and still is, to clean up the Hunger Games fandom. This included reviewing rule-breaking fics to alert the author of their mistake, and reporting them if they did not take action, as well as helping authors to fix up their grammar and spelling and generally bring up the quality of the writing in the fandom.

As I'm sure you're all aware, a massive problem in the Hunger Games fandom is SYOT, or Submit Your Own Tribute, stories. These stories are against the guidelines for being interactive, and they also often have non-story chapters of lists and author's notes. The alternative to asking for tributes in reviews is to ask for them by PM, which allows the story by the guidelines. However, many authors are not willing to take this course of action.

And so, District 15 was created.

District 15 is a forum open to anyone regardless of their age, gender, grammatical situation, or really anything. If you are there to improve and to help others improve, then you are very welcome to join. Anyone at District 15 can create a thread for their SYOT. They can ask for characters and plot things with the authors who submitted. You can ask other members to give you constructive criticism, or you can give it to others. District 15 is there to help you improve, and to further District 14's work in cleaning up the Hunger Games fandom.

The link to the forum is here: http://forum.fanfiction.net/forum/District_15/94671/

We hope to see you there.

--

Got any questions? Ask them below~

7/20/2011 #1
Katydidxx

Hello District 14!

I've heard about you and District 15 through the fanfiction grapevine, and I'm really glad that I found you guys :) I think that having a District 15 to clean up the Hunger Games fandom is a great idea, would you be okay with me putting a link up on my profile?

It's annoying how the fandom has such a bad rep from people refusing to comply with the rules, and I think it would be great if more people could figure out how to improve their SYOT stories.

Thanks a bunch!

-Katydid

8/29/2011 #2
St. Elsewhere

That's most definitely okay.

Introduce yourself and join us in the chat thread, also, if you wish.

8/29/2011 #3
Blame-It-On-The-Alcohol
I think you guys need to focus on making it more publicly known to newcomers that review-based SYOCs are against guidelines. I mean, when I started mine I'd had no idea because I figured, there are so many in the fandom that is must be legal! I know quite a few who resent starting SYOTs and then getting the D14 post/PM telling them their story's against guidelines. Maybe if it was more public to newbies that wouldn't be a problem? A suggestion :) Kara x
10/3/2011 #4
whisperasweknowit

When you post a new story, you have to agree to the site guidelines. Those guidelines clearly state that interactive stories are not allowed. We've made it our mission to clean up the fandom, but it is first and foremost the job of the admins. They've done their part and written the rules. It falls to us to inforce those rules with reports.

I've gone on a bit of a tangent. The gist of it is that it's in the guidelines, therefore site users should know it.

10/3/2011 #5
Blame-It-On-The-Alcohol
I know it's in the guidelines, but tell me this-how many new users do you think read the guidelines comprehensively and fully understand them and their context as soon as they join the website? Kara x
10/3/2011 #6
whisperasweknowit

I understand that, but my point is that just because the site users are ignorant to the rules doesn't mean we have to work twice as hard to advertise our cause. We do have lives, you know.

10/3/2011 #7
St. Elsewhere

I think you guys need to focus on making it more publicly known to newcomers that review-based SYOCs are against guidelines.

And how do you propose we do that?

10/3/2011 #8
Blame-It-On-The-Alcohol
Something like asking the website owners to put up a simpler notice on the home page or in the guidelines section, like SYOTs are not allowed unless characters are collected by PM and review-based ones will be reported and taken down if not changed I'm honestly just making a suggestion that I figure could be easier than having to track down each individual SYOT, post a review saying this is illegal, and having a good deal not listen. At least this way a few people wouldn't start in the first place. Kara x P.S. Sorry about lack of spacing, iPad is bad with fanfiction.
10/3/2011 #9
St. Elsewhere

Something like asking the website owners to put up a simpler notice on the home page or in the guidelines section, like SYOTs are not allowed unless characters are collected by PM and review-based ones will be reported and taken down if not changed

The administrators are notoriously lazy, not to mention the fact that the Hunger Games fandom is one in thousands. They are not going to edit the rules they've put up four years ago simply to add something about SYOTs. It'd be like shouting at God; you can try until you're blue in the fact, but you're never going to get an answer. The only way we even know the admin exist is through story deletions.

10/3/2011 #10
Blame-It-On-The-Alcohol
:D Ah well, just a suggestion. :) Kara x
10/3/2011 #11
Forum Moderators: District14 Lostliveson4eva, SydneyLouWho, GlimmerIcewood, St. Elsewhere, Lightfall, whisperasweknowit
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member