District 14
We could be a career pack. We bash people to death with our laptops. And steal their wifi.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »
nathan-p

doublepost because fuck you ff.net formatting ok

Also, I've always hated how far apart the districts are, given that much of North America should be underwater/uninhabitable and that District 12, at least, is no bigger than a county, maybe smaller. I know it's the smallest district, but still...

Surprisingly little of the current US would be underwater, even given maximum melting of ice caps. Florida would be totally gone, and the South would have a hell of a lot more coast; San Francisco would be halved in size, and both NYC and DC would be gone. Other than that, the current coastline wouldn't change very much.

As far as uninhabitable, probably not. The extreme southern deserts -- Texas, Arizona, lower California -- would be hotter in general, but still habitable.

Of course, given the whole series is set after a nuclear (?) war, you could also pass off any areas in which We Do Not Go as nuked into glass.

Also, 12 really should be bigger than that -- if they need an entire area devoted to coal-mining there should be more than one fucking mine unless robots are now mining the rest of the area. For my own peace of mind I'll just pretend that Katniss lives in Xtown, District 12, and that the district encompasses, let's say, current-day West Virginia. You'd need at least that much area to mine whatever the hell amount of coal they need.

Which is another thing that bothers me, actually. So you've got an entire "state" dedicated to mining coal. What in fuck's name are you doing with all that material? Heat appears to be electric-powered, so it's not coal-fired furnaces. The trains probably don't run on coal, and they're probably not used for goods transportation when there are fucking hovercrafts.

What are they doing, hovercrafting all the coal to the "power district"? Even if that's the case and that whole district is covered in coal-fire power plants, it would be an incredibly impractical way to generate power for an entire fucking country. "Yes, let's build thousands of miles of power line instead of putting generators and power plants in individual districts! Brilliant!"

1/3/2012 #31
Lightfall

Even if that's the case and that whole district is covered in coal-fire power plants, it would be an incredibly impractical way to generate power for an entire fucking country. "Yes, let's build thousands of miles of power line instead of putting generators and power plants in individual districts! Brilliant!"

Maybe District 5 is close to the Capitol. Y'know, power plants are ugly and shit, they don't want them near the city so instead they're in 5. So 5 is just generating power for the Capitol and their lunacy, while the rest of the coal goes to smaller power plants in the districts.

Also why are there still trains if you can use hovercrafts? I mean, do the things fall out of the sky when suspension of disbelief fails?

ed: Besides, I'm fairly sure it specifically mentions coal being loaded onto a train at some point. I'll need to check that one.

1/3/2012 . Edited 1/3/2012 #32
St. Elsewhere

WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE OTHER COUNTRIES?

I mean, racist much, Collins? North America was the only country that survived the MASSIVE!FUCKING! APOCALYPSE? Really?

1/8/2012 #33
Leaving At Midnight

I mean, racist much, Collins? North America was the only country that survived the MASSIVE!FUCKING! APOCALYPSE? Really?

That's what I was thinking. Surely some other countries must have had plans on how to survive a huge disaster like that.

Also, what happened to all the presidents, royalty etc. of the world? They would have been the government's first priority if the apocolypse did happen.

1/10/2012 #34
swinging from saturn

what happened to all the presidents, royalty etc. of the world?]

They were the first to test out the Games.

/inaccuracies, what inaccuracies?

1/10/2012 #35
St. Elsewhere

That answer up thar is how you win.

1/10/2012 #36
Generation Nothing

Where did it say there was an apocalypse? You would think America would turn into a slaughterhouse and everyone would just kill each other...

I made myself believe the other countries were around but just turning the other cheek.

1/10/2012 #37
nathan-p

It would be god-damned hilarious if America sunk into this ouroborous of violence and the rest of the world is going "Fuck them, they caused all this trouble for us, let them suffer!" Nukes did fall, after all, which means either civil war in the States, or someone got seriously pissed off at USA! USA!

ahem

3/6/2012 #38
nathan-p

You Gon' Die: What Would Kill You In The Districts

(a horrible analysis by Nathan, age 18)

Panem is a dystopian nation. Most of its citizens we can assume live nasty, short lives.

But what would actually kill them?

Let's have a look.

All of the districts share a dearth of healthcare and a cruel "overseer" figure in the government itself. They're literally worse off than the workers of the early Industrial Revolution -- at least then you had a thread of hope that the government could be persuaded to pass a law to take seven-year-old children out of the coal mines. In the districts there is no such hope. Workplace fatalities claim many people's lives and maim even more.

Lack of healthcare means that infant and child mortality is high: without vaccination and often without anything but a healer type of figure, sickly infants are more likely to die. Childhood diseases run rampant: chicken pox, measles, mumps, and diphtheria have a fairly good chance of killing the young -- and there are dozens of diseases which used to be rites of passage in childhood.

As district workers age, they also face the Games, which also drop life expectancy, especially in career districts where I would expect training accidents to be frequent. There might be relatively few deaths, but quite a few maimings.

In adulthood, workplace accidents would not be the only cause of mortality -- genetic disorders will always have their place, and the same lack of healthcare that caused childhood diseases to come back would cause sickness to be much more common in adulthood as well. And of course there's always the good old bar fight gone wrong.

Of course, workplace accidents would come in different forms depending on district.

- 1 specializes in luxury goods: jewelry, perhaps furs and carpets. Jewelers work with sharp things and dangerous chemicals, as do furriers; carpet-weavers, doing close work in poor conditions, tend to have weakening vision.

- 2, with masonry as its primary industry, enjoys the good standby of heavy-shit-dropped-on-you. Slip with the chisel, stone dust in the wound, gas gangrene, dead in a week.

- 3, electronics, poisonous components.

- 4, fishin', never come home from fishing, fell off the boat, attacked by shark.

- 5, "power", electrocution, burned in coal furnace, skin scalded off by steam, exploding boiler.

- 6, transportation, hit by train, transport dropped during repair.

- 7, lumber and paper, fell in sawmill chemicals, trapped in saw, tree fell on him, eaten by bear.

- 8, textiles, chemical poisoning, slow blindness, caught in machinery.

- 9, grain, ergot poisoning, death via factory.

- 10, livestock, trampled by cattle (assholes), eaten by pigs, drowned in pig shit.

- 11, agriculture, stung to death by demon bees, bad moonshine.

- 12, coal, mine collapse, mine explosion, caught in machinery, electrocuted self on fence.

- 13, motherfucking nuclear weapons, I don't think I need say more.

And there's always "picked a fight with a cop".

3/6/2012 #39
wach

What is the 'meaning' behind THG?

3/6/2012 #40
St. Elsewhere

- 11, agriculture, stung to death by demon bees, bad moonshine.

Lol.

3/6/2012 #41
A Ghost Who Walks
Is this just a HG nitpick? Or can I pick apart other books/movies?
3/7/2012 #42
nathan-p

Just Hunger Games :\

3/7/2012 #43
Lightfall

I think "electrocuted self on fence" applies to most districts.

There are so many ways to die in factories - crushed by machinery, electrocuted, clothes caught in machines, explosions, whatever you like.

ed: Any of your more agricultural districts you've got snakebite, given SuCo demon insects probably, and plain ol' heatstroke from being out all day.

3/7/2012 . Edited 3/7/2012 #44
Finding Tobias

I knew a kid who was unfortunately named Graham Thacker. I had a teacher whose name was Harry Farmer.

3/7/2012 #45
St. Elsewhere

I love everything about this thread, jsyk.

3/10/2012 #46
wach

The whole 'Entire District Generated to Power' thing actually does make sense, though. If you think about it, energy production is a huge part of any sort of communal infrastructure.

3/10/2012 #47
nathan-p

It's much less expensive and more practical to localize it when your community is the size of the US.

3/10/2012 #48
MusicIsMyGame

Nathan, your effort!post is beautiful. :'D

Also asdfghjkl District 6. Why the need for an entire transportation district? Wasn't it already covered that District 3 is in charge of most of that? Maybe I'm making that up, but still.

Apparently, 9 is the grain district, which annoys the crap out of me. Katniss said in book 1 that 11 deals with grain, being an agricultural district. (She mentions that Thresh, being from 11, must be accustomed to being among grain when he hides out there for a while.)

I believe this may have already been mentioned, but if they're important enough to need an entire district, how can the Capitol afford to bomb D8 and D12, where clothes and coal are made? (I don't understand the need for all that coal, anyway, but this makes even less sense.)

Lastly, where do they make medicine? Soap? Plastic? Anything dealing with chemicals? I thought that surely must be 6, but again, evidently not. I'm sure there are multiple other trades not included that I'm forgetting.

--

Ahem. That was bothering me. Now I feel all better. :D

3/10/2012 #49
nathan-p

Before I keep going I'd like to get it out of the way that while the worldbuilding she does (and the traditions it birthed in the fandom) make me want to slide a shiv into someone's ribcage, Suzanne Collins is probably a really nice person.

That doesn't excuse being a bit of a fuckwit when it comes to planning...

Why the need for an entire transportation district? Wasn't it already covered that District 3 is in charge of most of that?

Transport would probably include coordinating the massive amounts of inter-district import/export that happens to keep Panem on its feet. I imagine they work a lot on the railroads -- don't tell me they built a railroad just to ferry sacrificial lambs to the Capitol, because that's a load of horseshit even if it's somehow canon.

If Panem hadn't given up cars they'd also be in charge of that industry.

3 is tech -- R & D, I guess. 6 is keeping shit running, and therefore has a lot more duct tape.

Apparently, 9 is the grain district, which annoys the crap out of me. Katniss said in book 1 that 11 deals with grain, being an agricultural district. (She mentions that Thresh, being from 11, must be accustomed to being among grain when he hides out there for a while.)

This makes me kind of cross-eyed. god... damn... it...

OK. 9 seems to have a lot of factories (???), so I'd guess that they process the grain that 11 grows. This doesn't make much sense, given the heavy load that would place on transportation when you could just process grain in the same damn district, but hell.

I believe this may have already been mentioned, but if they're important enough to need an entire district, how can the Capitol afford to bomb D8 and D12, where clothes and coal are made?

Once you're bombing your own populace, what they do is fairly irrelevant. (Not-so-hilariously, the US government has a history of bombing its own citizens. The Navy shelled NYC during the 1863 draft riots, for instance.)

I'd imagine that someone did a cost analysis and found that 8 and 12 were the center of unrest -- and also happened to be somewhat expendable. You don't need vast amounts of textiles to run a society -- they just come in handy, and the Capitol would be more than capable of dropping its new-textile use to zero for a few years while rebuilding factories in a new location. They wouldn't like it, but it would be doable.

Also, while 12 is useful, there are coal deposits in other districts as well that could be mined just as easily. It is totally expendable.

(I don't understand the need for all that coal, anyway, but this makes even less sense.)

Collins gives no indication of where it's going, but were I to design Panem, all that coal would be going to power plants to power steam turbines. (And possibly some for home heating.)

Lastly, where do they make medicine?

If I had to pick I'd make it a Capitol business; why trust the icky district people with making drugs? This also enables Capitol businessmen to charge crazy markups if they want to sell drugs of any sort in the districts: it's either a homebrew remedy or an arm, leg, and firstborn child for medicine that's guaranteed to work.

Soap?

Can be made at home fairly easily! This and all 'medicine' in the districts I would expect to be old American folk recipes.

Anything dealing with chemicals?

District 3. Let the techies deal with it vOv

Plastic?

Wait, isn't Panem supposed to be post-oil-crisis?

...that's it, I'm out.

3/16/2012 #50
Lightfall

If Panem hadn't given up cars they'd also be in charge of that industry.

Uh...there are cars. Very specifically mentioned that they have them in the Capitol. Also it's mentioned elsewhere that there are trucks and shit. vOv

Plastic?

Wait, isn't Panem supposed to be post-oil-crisis?

...that's it, I'm out.

Yep, plastic is a thing. Goddamn, did she plan this at all?

3/17/2012 . Edited 3/17/2012 #51
nathan-p

Uh...there are cars. Very specifically mentioned that they have them in the Capitol. Also it's mentioned elsewhere that there are trucks and shit. vOv

Unless she explicitly mentioned that... no, no. That's another one in the Fuck This I'm Out column.

3/17/2012 #52
Generation Nothing

Any immigrants before the apocalypse, Suzanne? :I

3/24/2012 #53
swinging from saturn

How much the Capitol fails as a dictatorship.

Something I brought up some time ago in another forum.

3/24/2012 #54
St. Elsewhere

I just can't get over how stupid HAVING AN ENTIRE DISTRICT DEVOTED TO GRAIN WHEN THERE'S AN AGRICULTURE ONE ALREADY is.

4/6/2012 #55
VividlyVisceral

District 9 should've been oil or something along those lines. D:

4/6/2012 #56
St. Elsewhere

SCIENTIFIC REASEARCH

ALSO WHAT THE FUCK COAL

WHY COAL

KATNISS WHINES ABOUT HOW WE DIDN'T RESPECT THE PLANET

HER OWN DISTRICT MINES SHIT OUT OF THE GROUND.

4/6/2012 #57
Lightfall

Theoretically, if Panem is post-oil, you could run cars on ethanol.

Which you can make out of plants.

District 9 starts to make some more sense. They're growing fuel crops.

4/20/2012 #58
Twig Punky

I respect that all the people of District 11 are supposed to be dark skinned, but...

I find it slightly illogical that The Capitol would go the effort to racially group their districts. It just seems silly. Even if you put it down to genetic isolation, you'd find that the few hundred years that had passed since the forming of Panem would not have been long enough for any kind of racial evolution.

Also, why is the district dedicated to coal mining one of the smallest? Surely you'd want lots and lots of coal miners.

I apologise for grammar, I'm sure there were buckets full of bad expression in there.

4/23/2012 #59
Twig Punky

Oh, and where does the coal come from? Panem is a big place, you'd need a lot of coal, which is becoming a rarity nowdays. In the future you'd imagine there'd hardly be any! It's not very sustainable.

4/23/2012 #60
« Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »
Forum Moderators: District14 Lostliveson4eva, SydneyLouWho, GlimmerIcewood, St. Elsewhere, Lightfall, whisperasweknowit
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member