The Store Next Door
The new version of The Shoppe, now affectionatly known as 'Sneed.' Home to the Old Kingdom RP that keeps Sanaryelle and Fishy Biscuits awake till Charter-knows-what time in the morning!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Fishy Biscuits

Continued from The Shoppe: http://forum.fanfiction.net/topic/66557/19157283/1/

11/5/2010 #1
Sanaryelle

Continued from The Perimeter, page 6.

Oliver-

I didn't answer Raylinn immediately. I quickly shrugged out of the straps, and clambered out of the Paperwing and onto the platform. With shaking hands I extracted a cigarette from my pack, and after wasting four matches I lit it with a Charter mark. "So I see," I said finally. "I'd kiss the ground, but I don't think I'd be able to get back up again."

After somehow surviving a flight through the air in a canoe made of paper, I wasn't even surprised by the sendings who had gathered on the platdform and were looking at us. Or rather, they were looking at Raylinn as if awaiting instruction.

11/28/2010 #2
Fishy Biscuits

~Raylinn~

I looked over at the sendings, then slowly got out of the Paperwing. My limbs had gone numb again thanks to the cold, and I sneezed twice in quick succession.

'Um, do... whatever you usually do with it,' I said to the sendings, gesturing at the Paperwing. I assumed that they could hear me, despite my quiet, croaky voice. I took my sword out of the cockpit, but didn't bother putting it back on. 'And I think we both need a bath, a good meal, and a long rest.' I turned to Oliver. 'D'you agree?'

11/28/2010 #3
Sanaryelle

Oliver-

I nodded, pulling my pack and weapons out of the Paperwing. The sendings led us down the steps, across the lawn, and towards the House.

"Er... did you fellows manage to rebuild the shed?" I asked, somewhat guiltily. One of the sendings just looked at me wordlessly, and even though I couldn't see any expression I could tell what it was thinking.

11/28/2010 #4
Fishy Biscuits

~Raylinn~

Oliver's question reminded me of that... interesting night, and I looked at the place where the shed used to be. The sendings hadn't quite finished rebuilding it yet, but they had clearly had nothing much else to do, as most of the work was done. From what I could see, the roof was the only unfinished bit. And whatever was going inside, I supposed.

The sendings led us into the House, and I immediately felt grateful for the fact that it was always kept warm by various fires and Charter spells. One of the sendings grabbed my wrist and started practically pulling me up the stairs. I had to follow it to stop it pulling on my newly-healed arm, so I could only look over my shoulder at Oliver. He was being approached by another sending.

'I guess I'll see you after we've both had baths,' I said, before the sending pulled me around the corner at the top of the staircase.

11/28/2010 #5
Sanaryelle

Oliver-

"Okay," I called after Raylinn as she disappeared up the stair. I eyed the sending approaching me. "Hey - there's really no need to act like that," I said, backing away. "I'll come along with you quietly, without a struggle. I promise."

Clearly the sending didn't believe me, because it actually grabbed my by the ear and started hauling me up the stairs. "Hey!" I yelped. "I'm a guest here! Oh - this is about the last visit, isn't it? What's this - a servant's revolt? Sendings finally getting their revenge? Ow!" The sending gave my ear a particularly nasty tug, and I followed it up the stair, only grumbling occasionally.

It practically dragged me into one of the bedrooms, where another sending was waiting by a steaming copper tub. My ear was released and I sighed with relief, but then the sending yanked away my pack and weapons, and the other was trying to pull my tunic over my head. "Hey - stop it!" I protested. "I can undress myself!"

Apparently they didn't believe that I could undress myself, or get into the tub myself, or even wash myself, but when they finally left I was able to lean back in the tub for a nice soak. At least I was able to dry myself. I rebandaged my foot and put on the clothes they'd lain out for me before heading downstairs.

11/28/2010 . Edited 11/28/2010 #6
Fishy Biscuits

~Raylinn~

I actually groaned out loud when I saw the cream-dressed sending waiting by the tiled area of the main bedroom. I'd suffered it before, and I wasn't sure if sendings understood the concept of recovering from several injuries. From the way this sending started to undress me, I started to guess not.

Thankfully, however, it let me get into the bath tub instead of dumping the water over my head, so I had the chance to relax in the warm water for a while. Not all that long, of course. The sending decided to disturb my resting time by hitting the side of the tub with the poker from the fire when I spent too long relaxing. After that, I did end up with a tub-full thrown over me anyway, and then the sending started towelling me dry. I hissed in pain when it pressed a little too hard on one of my stomach wounds, and it seemed to get the message after that.

Another sending had been busy laying out some clean clothes for me on the bed - an underdress and a simple, black surcoat - and the cream-dressed one pulled me over to the clothes before dressing me quickly. The clothes had been left in front of the fire for a bit, and they were nice and warm. I then had to put up with the sending brushing my hair - and neatening it up a bit - before it would allow me to leave the room.

Oliver was already waiting at the bottom of the stairs when I got there. He was wearing another tunic and surcoat which, in my opinion, suited him more than his army uniform. He looked up at me as I started coming down the stairs.

'Feeling better?' I asked him, once I was near the floor.

11/28/2010 #7
Sanaryelle

Oliver-

"I think so," I said, rubbing my ear which was still sore. "Oh - you look nice," I said as Raylinn stepped off the last step. "You actually look good with short hair," I said, tilting my head to the side appraisingly. "I don't know why Cariel said she'd rather you had a different colour."

11/28/2010 #8
Fishy Biscuits

~Raylinn~

I ran a hand through my damp hair, trying to hide the fact that I'd blushed at Oliver's compliment. 'I think she was being sarcastic,' I said. 'She didn't want me doing anything different with my hair.'

There was a rather appetising smell coming from the kitchens. As it was several hours later in the Old Kingdom than it was in Ancelstierre, it was already late afternoon. 'I think dinner will be ready soon,' I remarked. Right on cue, two sendings started to usher us through into the Hall, where two places had been set at the long table.

11/28/2010 #9
Sanaryelle

Oliver-

I glanced at the table, then nearly laughed; the sendings had seated us at opposite ends. Because Raylinn was Abhorsen she got the imposing carved chair at the head of the table, but from where I was I'd have to shout if I wanted to talk to Raylinn during dinner.

One sending firmly pushed me down into my chair, as if warning me not to move from my place. Before I could protest, other sendings were bringing in the first course - a creamy soup. I waited until the food had been served and they were gone, then I picked up my bowl, spoon, and napkin, and walked over to the chair at Raylinn's right hand. "Easier to talk this way," I remarked, sitting down.

11/28/2010 . Edited 11/28/2010 #10
Fishy Biscuits

~Raylinn~

I had almost whacked my head on the table when I'd seen the seating arrangements, and when Oliver had moved to sit beside me it hadn't mattered that the sendings were all cowled - I could tell that they didn't approve at all.

I nodded at Oliver, then glared at a sending, who had appeared from the kitchen and approached the table with the obvious intention of taking Oliver's soup bowl back to the other end of the table.

'Leave it,' I said, in as firm a voice as I could manage. The sending seemed to hesitate for a second, but then retreated back into the kitchen. I rolled my eyes after it, then ate a spoonful of the soup. 'I think they're just going to have to get used to you,' I commented to Oliver.

11/28/2010 #11
Sanaryelle

Oliver-

"I think they know that I burned down the shed," I said, tasting the soup. It was very good - much better than army rations. "They probably think I'm a bad influence on you," I said mischievously, "trashing the House... swimming in the fountain... drinking all the wine..."

11/28/2010 #12
Fishy Biscuits

~Raylinn~

I smirked. 'You're a bad influence on me?' I repeated. I didn't need to remind him that he had been a well-behaved soldier until he'd met me. 'Anyway, I'm sure I would have drunk all the wine by myself if I'd had the chance. It wasn't like I they were too fond of me before... before I left. Especially that one,' I added, shooting a pointed glare at the cream-dressed sending that was lurking in one corner of the Hall. 'When I was younger, I nicknamed that one 'Tarael.' I'm not entirely sure who was more offended.'

11/28/2010 #13
Sanaryelle

Oliver-

I laughed, almost spitting soup all over the table, and several of the sendings made panicked motions before relaxing. "Well, they have to listen to you now," I remarked. "Don't they?"

11/28/2010 #14
Fishy Biscuits

~Raylinn~

'They do,' I replied, taking another mouthful of the soup. I noticed that the sendings had put out glasses of water instead of wine for both of us, and I wondered whether that was because they didn't want us getting drunk again, or because they hadn't restocked the wine cellar yet.

'We can look forward to a good sleep tonight,' I commented. 'Which bedroom have they put you in, by the way?'

Why had I decided to ask that? Was it really any of my business whatsoever?

11/28/2010 #15
Sanaryelle

Oliver-

"Second floor," I said. "Let's see... you turn left at the top of the steps, and it's the first one on your right. It's got green walls." Raylinn was nodding. "It's bigger than the last one they gave me," I noted. "Nate and I slept in those little rooms on either side of the stairs." I fell silent, thinking about Nate. Why hadn't I gone out there with him? Why had we let him go alone? Perhaps he could have escaped the necromancer...

11/28/2010 #16
Fishy Biscuits

~Raylinn~

I noticed that Oliver had gone unusually quiet. Probably thinking about Nate, I assumed. Tentatively, I reached out and rested my hand on top of his on the table.

'We'll avenge him soon,' I said softly. 'I promise.'

11/28/2010 . Edited by Sanaryelle, 11/28/2010 #17
Sanaryelle

Oliver-

I blinked in surprise, then turned my hand over so that I was gripping hers. "Thank you," I said quietly.

There was a clang, and we released our hands and jumped as sendings took away our soup bowls, and placed down a large platter of fish. One of the sendings holding that platter looked straight at me; I supposed it had hit the platter with its serving fork. I glared back. It just had to ruin the moment, didn't it.

11/28/2010 #18
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: Yus. Yus it did. :P)

~Raylinn~

'Can you not do that?' I said irritably, glaring at the sending. I was pretty sure that it was giving me an innocent look underneath its cowel. Either that, or a disapproving look. 'I have a headache,' I added, so the sendings had what they would consider a proper reason.

11/28/2010 #19
Sanaryelle

(OOC: *sigh* I love the sendings...)

Oliver-

The sending just started dishing up portions of fish with unnecessary violence. It slammed my helping down in front of me with such force that I though the plate was going to break.

I felt hands lifting my elbows, and for a moment I was afraid that the sendings were going to drag me away somewhere - but they merely shoved the cutlery I'd left at the other end of the table under my arms. "Oh, thanks," I said sarcastically over my shoulder. One of the sendings went so far as to give an ironic little bow.

"Nice to enjoy a quiet dinner," I remarked to Raylinn as I selected a fork from the pile of cutlery. "Isn't it?"

11/28/2010 #20
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: XD So do I...)

~Raylinn~

I glared at the sendings again. 'Behave,' I said sternly, before tucking into my fish. The sendings didn't visibly react, but they all disappeared back into the kitchen again. I sighed and glanced at Oliver.

'Sorry about them,' I muttered. 'They can get like this sometimes, especially when there's visitors.'

11/28/2010 #21
Sanaryelle

Oliver-

"I noticed," I said ironically. "However - they can cook very well. That just might make up for it."

I took a bite of fish - a pink salmon prepared in a creamy sauce. "I suppose we'll stay here for a while?" I asked. "You'll need to... train, or practice, I suppose. And I want full use of my foot back. Maybe we could try to find some information on where the necromancer has gone."

11/28/2010 #22
Fishy Biscuits

~Raylinn~

I nodded. 'I have no idea who we can ask, though. Except - hey, what happened to Serran? She seemed to know something, didn't she?'

11/28/2010 #23
Sanaryelle

Oliver-

I frowned. "She said something about trading hats - I don't remember anything else," I admitted. "The last I saw of her was when... when I stayed behind."

11/28/2010 #24
Fishy Biscuits

~Raylinn~

'So, all we know about this necormancer,' I said, turning my thoughts away from the moment when Oliver had jumped off Drew and had made me go on without him, 'is that she was heading North, and that she was masquerading as a hat trader.' I sighed and ate some more fish. 'That doesn't really narrow things down, does it.'

(OOC: I'm going to head off to bed now. I'm kinda nackered from the weekend, and I've got an early start tomorrow. I'll be back on at 10pm-ish. :P)

11/28/2010 . Edited 11/28/2010 #25
Sanaryelle

Oliver-

"Well, now that you're Abhorsen, perhaps you can let the King know what we're doing," I suggested. "And maybe he can alert the guard outposts. I'm sure not all the guard are like Sorienne and Mawbor," I added gently.

My toe chose that moment to start burning. Even though my toe wasn't there anymore, I still felt it. Usually it was a tingling feeling, and sometimes a maddening itch, but every so often it felt like it was on fire. I clenched my fork and stared at my plate of salmon, trying to concentrate on something else. I could tell that Raylinn was staring at me. "My toe," I grated out. "It'll pass."

(OOC: Goodnight!)

11/28/2010 #26
Fishy Biscuits

~Raylinn~

I watched Oliver closely until his expression returned to a more normal one. Maybe I could cast a healing spell on his foot later, if it was still bothering him like that. And if I could stomach looking at it.

'I suppose we could,' I agreed, shrugging. 'Providing that the King isn't too busy organising an elaborate funeral for his precious little niece.'

11/28/2010 #27
Sanaryelle

Oliver-

"What happened to his niece anyway?" I asked, taking another mouthful of salmon. Ancelstierrans made a point of not keeping up with Old Kingdom news at all. I knew there was a King, and that he had a Queen, and that they were childless. But that was the extent of my knowledge of the Royal family.

11/28/2010 #28
Fishy Biscuits

~Raylinn~

I looked at Oliver for a moment, before remembering that he wouldn't have known.

'His niece was Tarael,' I said shortly, eating some more of my salmon and making a face at my cousin's name.

11/28/2010 #29
Sanaryelle

Oliver-

"Oh - right," I said, suddenly feeling very stupid. "Er... were they close?"

11/28/2010 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Fishy Biscuits Sanaryelle
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member