The Store Next Door
The new version of The Shoppe, now affectionatly known as 'Sneed.' Home to the Old Kingdom RP that keeps Sanaryelle and Fishy Biscuits awake till Charter-knows-what time in the morning!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 .. Last Next »
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: Mebbe. Depends what it is.)

~Idriel~

I could see that the water was about to get rougher, so I curled my hand tighter around Junior's bridle and started soothing her even more, even whispering softly to her. She did calm down - but only a little bit. And I wasn't sure if it would last once more water started splashing over her hooves.

I glanced at Oliver. He seemed to be concentrating hard on pulling the ferry across as quickly as he could, so we wouldn't have to spend much time in the rough patch. I just hoped Junior managed to stay more or less calm.

11/8/2010 #481
Sanaryelle

(OOC: Someone falling in the water seems so cliche... How about a horse falling in the water? :P)

Oliver-

I put my head down and pulled, ignoring the scraping sensations on my hands.

Suddenly the ferry came to a stop with a jolt and a loud cracking sound, and I nearly fell flat on my face - it was only because I was hanging onto the rope that I stayed more or less upright. I looked up; the ferry had run against a large black rock. Some of the boards were split, and frothy water was pouring over the wooden surface.

11/8/2010 #482
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: Sounds like a plan.)

(OOC: One hour to go! XD)

~Idriel~

The jolt had almost made me fall over, and it was only because I was holding Junior's bridle that I managed to haul myself back up again. I looked around, and was relieved to see that Oliver and Cariel were both all right. Ale had started to snort in panic, and Junior was in the process of going completely haywire. The whites of her eyes were showing, and she was throwing her head around even more, clearly trying to make a break for freedom.

I ooked over at Oliver, who was still clutching the rope. 'What do we do now?' I called, having to raise my voice to be heard over the noise of the river.

11/8/2010 #483
Sanaryelle

(OOC: *glances at clock* It's the final countdown!)

Cariel-

"C'mon, shh, shh," I said, holding Ale's bridle as the usually-placid horse started to skitter from the cold water washing over its legs. "Oliver!" I called over my shoulder.

The ex-scout was wrestling with the rope. "It's stuck," he panted, "wedged in pretty good. I've gotta try to get it off that rock." He held onto the rope and edged his way down to the front of the ferry, but stopped and swore when he found his way blocked by a panicking grey mare.

What occured next seemed to happen in slow motion. Junior actually bucked, and when she landed her hind legs slipped out from underneath her, and she went sliding, snorting and scrabbling, into the water. Raylinn, still clinging onto the reins, was pulled to her knees and nearly off the ferry itself but managed to grab onto one of the cracked boards. Then Ale decided to rear, and nearly dislocated my shoulder, and my attention was temporarily drawn back to him.

11/8/2010 #484
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: *facepalm* Instructions from my cousin: 'Don't forget your ball gown and some dancing shoes as well as ordinary ringing attire!' Problem: I don't own a ball gown!)

~Idriel~

I probably had at least one splinter in my hand now, but I ignored that and concentrated on getting back to my feet. That had been close; I'd only just remembered to let go of Junior's reins in time to stop myself being pulled off the ferry.

Oliver was struggling to get the ferry off the rock in had collided with, and once I was standing again, I carefully made my way over to help him. Cariel seemed to be managing to calm Ale well enough.

'What do we need to do?' I asked Oliver, gripping the rope in the same way he was.

11/8/2010 #485
Sanaryelle

(OOC: Wow; that really IS a posh ringer's party!)

Oliver-

I glanced over at Raylinn, still shaken by what had happened. "We have to pull on the lower rope as hard as we can," I said, flexing my sore hands. "That should get it off the rock, then I can guide it around."

We gripped the rope, and braced our feet as best we could on the wet wood. "You okay?" I asked in an undertone.

11/8/2010 . Edited 11/8/2010 #486
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: I know! The uni ringing master's been wanting to go for years, so he's jealous of me right now. ^_^)

~Idriel~

'Yeah,' I said, nodding and trying to get my breath back. 'Might have got a couple of splinters, but nothing worse.' I managed a slightly shaky grin. 'Just as well I remembered to let go on Junior, I guess.'

We both pulled on the rope, being careful not to slip over. Slowly - very slowly - the ferry began to move off the rock. I hoped Cariel was doing all right with keeping Ale calm. We didn't want to lose another horse.

11/8/2010 #487
Sanaryelle

Oliver-

Finally, the ferry pulled free of the rock with a jolt, a full quarter of the ferry's mass tearing off and hurtling downriver.

We pulled on the top rope again, kicking off of the rock to keep clear until we had rounded it, and then continued pulling for shore. When we finally reached the landing platform, Cariel and Ale practically dashed off the rickety ferry and onto solid ground.

I wrinkled my nose as I examined my chapped and bleeding hands; I was not looking forward to another two trips across on that miserable excuse for a ferry.

11/8/2010 #488
Fishy Biscuits

~Idriel~

'Are you all right?' I asked, looking over Oliver's shoulder at his hands. I winced; those rope burns looked painful. And he was going to have to take the ferry - or what was left of it - back across the river.

'Here,' I said, gently placing a golden healing spell in each of his palms. I couldn't do anything to stop the rope cutting his hands again, but at least that spell would numb the pain for a while.

11/8/2010 #489
Sanaryelle

Oliver-

"Thanks," I said, looking back across the river at Serran and the two horses. By now I was beginning to get used to Raylinn healing me. Was that a good thing?

I turned to Raylinn. "You coming along?" I asked. "Transporting two horses, especially with that rock right in the middle of our path, is a job for three rather than two."

11/8/2010 #490
Fishy Biscuits

~Idriel~

'Sure,' I replied. I couldn't say I was keen on going back on that ferry, but Oliver was right - getting past that rock would take more than two people.

Once the healing spells had soaked into Oliver's hands, we both straightened up and started pulling the ferry back across the river.

11/8/2010 #491
Sanaryelle

Oliver-

With just Raylinn and I, and both of us pulling, the trip back across wass much easier. Serran, to her credit, walked onto the ferry leading Drew and Steak without complaint. The same couldn't be said for the horses. I narrowed my eyes at Drew; that was the most nervous horse I'd ever seen. He'd probably die of fright on his way over.

11/8/2010 #492
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: 10 minutes! :O)

~Idriel~

'Do you want to take one of the horses?' I asked, thinking of Oliver's bleeding hands. 'I'll pull the rope, so your hands can get a rest.'

11/8/2010 #493
Sanaryelle

(OOC: omgnowai!!!)

Oliver-

"It's heavy," I warned, then looked at my hands which had already opened up again and sighed. "All right. But I'm joining in when you get to the rough patch."

11/8/2010 #494
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: And that would be exactly 24 hours! XD)

~Idriel~

I nodded. 'Okay.'

Oliver took Drew's reins from Serran, and I started pulling on the rope, just as I'd seen Oliver do before. He'd been right - it was heavy - but not unmanagable. The rope was coarse and scratchy, though, and I could tell my hands would be in a similar state to Oliver's by the time we got to the other side. With any luck, we wouldn't have any more mishaps, and we'd get around that rock safely.

11/8/2010 #495
Sanaryelle

(OOC: Yup! *pops champagne* *facepillow* Ugh...)

Oliver-

Drew was being the predictable pain in the ass that I thought he'd be, and finally I got so fed up that I tied a strip of cloth over his eyes, and he finally settled down - more or less. I couldn't stop frozen water from cascading over his hoofs, but at least he didn't shy at every sudden movement - and there were a lot of sudden movements on an old ferry crossing a swift river.

The current seemed to pick up, and I handed Drew's reins to Serran and grabbed onto the rope, making my way towards Raylinn. "Can you see the rock yet?" I asked, helping her pull - slowly, this time. We didn't want any surprises.

11/8/2010 #496
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: *gulps champagne*)

~Idriel~

'I think so,' I replied, pointing ahead to where a small fraction of the black rock was just visible above the water. I didn't know how big it was under the water, but at least we had some sort of idea.

11/8/2010 #497
Sanaryelle

(OOC: *pours champagne over head to wake up*)

Oliver-

"Okay." We slowed down, and as we came nearer to the rock, we kicked off it and just managed to swing clear. We got several inches of water washing over the ferry in the process, but soon we had made it to the other bank, horses intact and hands leaving red stains on the rope.

Cariel instantly healed Raylinn and me, and surveyed the damage, her head tilted thoughtfully to the side. "Idriel can take turns riding with each of us," she decided. "You can go with me first, because Ale has calmed down and the others are still skittish from the crossing."

11/8/2010 #498
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: *sticks head in bucket of cold water*)

~Idriel~

I was a little disappointed that I wouldn't get to ride with Oliver first, but it couldn't really be helped; Drew did look very jumpy still, as did Steak.

Cariel mounted Ale again, and helped me onto the saddle too. It wasn't exactly the most comfortable way to ride, but it was only to be expected, seeing as the saddle was only designed for one person.

We rode at a reasonable pace along the road, but there was no sign of a necromancer anywhere.

'How do we know we're on the right track?' I asked Cariel.

11/8/2010 #499
Sanaryelle

(OOC: That's how Oliver tries to forget Raylinn! ^_^)

Cariel-

"We're heading for Roble's Town, to question the Royal Guards there," I said. "If we keep going west, we should hit the road soon. And then we follow that north to Roble's Town." I glanced over my shoulder at Raylinn. "You've been there, haven't you?"

11/8/2010 . Edited by Fishy Biscuits, 11/8/2010 #500
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: Lol! Wasn't it also how Cariel cured Raylinn's drunkenness?)

~Idriel~

'Yeah, a couple of times,' I answered. Roble's Town had been one of the first places I'd gone to after I'd left the House. I'd ended up in a tavern, having a pint with a group of Royal guards there.

11/8/2010 #501
Sanaryelle

(OOC: It cures a lot of things!)

Cariel-

"Think anyone will recognize you?" I asked in a low voice. "Even in your new get-up?"

11/8/2010 #502
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: Oh, the wonderous healing powers of a bucket of water! ^_^)

~Idriel~

'I hope not,' I muttered. Roble's Town wasn't all that far away from the Wall. There was every possibility that the scouting patrols from Ancelstierre had asked the Royal Guards to keep an eye out for me.

'Do you think they will?' I asked.

11/8/2010 #503
Sanaryelle

(OOC: I bet granny Lirael used it loads.)

Cariel-

"I'm not sure," I confessed. "If they're a stupid lot, they'll just see that you're the Abhorsen, and they won't ask questions. Speaking of which, I haven't informed the palace of Tarael's passing... though perhaps the Clayr have already notified Belisaere."

11/8/2010 #504
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: Possibly even more than she facepalmed!)

(OOC: Btw, do we need a Roble's Town thread?)

~Idriel~

'Do you think they'll ask why you're not the Abhorsen?' I asked. Surely the King at least would have a record of who the Abhorsen was and who their successor was.

11/8/2010 #505
Sanaryelle

(OOC: Sure!)

Cariel-

"If they do, I'll just tell them I found someone better," I said. "And I can put off explaining the situation at least until these first two missions are over."

11/8/2010 #506
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: Ok. I'll do that after I've posted this.)

~Idriel~

I nodded. Hopefully, if anyone did ask questions, they wouldn't ask too many.

'What if someone does recognise me?' I whispered, suddenly paranoid again. 'You don't think the guards will know about... you know... do you?'

11/8/2010 #507
Sanaryelle

Cariel-

"I don't think so," I said cautiously. "That was all just news in Ancelstierre, and the Old Kingdom doesn't really care about what goes on south of the Wall. And none of the people in Pond Village seemed to know about what happened, so I don't see why the people in Roble's Town would."

I made an effort to sound confident, but Roble's Town was on a major road. If any scouting parties had gone that far north - I'd never heard of that happening, but there were always exceptions - then they would have left descriptions of us with the mayor and town hall. Of course, nobody knew that Raylinn was the Abhorsen, so we had that advantage.

11/8/2010 #508
Fishy Biscuits

~Idriel~

'That's a relief,' I said.

I didn't say much more for a while. The thought of the scouting parties still hunting for me brought back that almost paralysing fear I'd felt after Cariel and I had crossed the Wall. I wasn't sure how long it would take for them to give up searching for me. Maybe they had already. There was no way of telling.

11/8/2010 #509
Sanaryelle

Cariel-

"Here's the road," I called, glancing back at Serran and Oliver. We guided our horses out of the forest and onto the wide Old North Road.

"And there," I said to Raylinn, pointing, "is Roble's Town."

(OOC: Switch threads?)

11/8/2010 #510
« Prev Page 1 .. 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Fishy Biscuits Sanaryelle
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member