The Store Next Door
The new version of The Shoppe, now affectionatly known as 'Sneed.' Home to the Old Kingdom RP that keeps Sanaryelle and Fishy Biscuits awake till Charter-knows-what time in the morning!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Fishy Biscuits

Continued from The Shoppe: http://forum.fanfiction.net/topic/66557/20084694/1/

11/5/2010 #1
Fishy Biscuits

~Yvanna~

I walked into the staff room, having just finished a lesson with some rather noisy first-formers. Orien was already there, sitting in one of the chairs and drinking a cup of tea. She looked up as I entered, and we smiled at each other; it was time for the morning break, so we had a nice chance to relax and moan about various students. I glanced down at the pile of mail on a small table by the door, and was surprised to see a letter addressed to Orien on the top of the pile. I wondered why she hadn't picked it up herself - maybe she hadn't noticed it or something.

'Post for you,' I said, handing her the letter before sitting in the chair beside her. Then I got up again and poured myself a cup of tea while Orien opened her letter and started to read it. 'Who's it from?' I asked her, hoping that I sounded casually curious, and not nosey.

11/28/2010 #2
Sanaryelle

Orien-

"My brother," I said absently. "I was dreading it would be from Emerson. Our double date was a disaster, wasn't it?"

Yvanna made a face. "Well..."

"First we have trouble sneaking out of the school," I said. "I can't believe you told the gardener that we were going into town to buy gloves, and that we would stay late because we were very particular about our gloves."

11/28/2010 #3
Fishy Biscuits

~Yvanna~

I gave Orien an apologetic look. 'It was the best thing I could come up with at the time,' I said, shrugging. 'And it worked, didn't it? He didn't tell the Head anything.'

Orien still didn't look particularly impressed, which I supposed was rather understandable.

'Anyway,' I continued. 'I thought you'd told Emerson to bring a friend with him?'

11/28/2010 #4
Sanaryelle

Orien-

"I did!" I protested. "Or at least, I think I did. Anyway, we both agree it was a bad idea to invite the bartender from the first place we visited along as your date. Er - sorry about that."

11/28/2010 #5
Fishy Biscuits

~Yvanna~

I rolled my eyes. 'Sure you are,' I said, then grinned. That was the sort of thing our students normally said. 'By the way, Emerson really likes you, from what I could see. He seems like a decent guy, too. Lucky...' I muttered under my breath.

11/28/2010 . Edited 11/28/2010 #6
Sanaryelle

Orien-

"Oh, I don't know," I said, trying to hide my blush. I quite liked Emerson too, but we hardly knew each other yet. "And besides, that bartender seemed to really like you too. Didn't he ask you to go see the - er - dogfights next week?" I was aware that dogfights were illegal, but the bartender had been very enthusiastic.

11/28/2010 #7
Fishy Biscuits

~Yvanna~

'Only about five times,' I said, rolling my eyes. 'I'm afraid I had to turn him down. Really not my scene, dogfights.' I looked back at the letter in Orien's hand. 'Your brother say anything interesting?'

11/28/2010 #8
Sanaryelle

Orien-

"I don't know yet," I said, turning back to the letter. Oliver's normally-neat writing was scrawled - he must have been in a hurry when he wrote it, or extremely agitated. As I read through the letter, I felt my eyes widening and my hand clenching. I read it through a second time, and then the important bits a third time.

I was dimly aware of Yvanna asking me if anything was wrong. "Oh..." I said, blinking and looking up at her. "It's just..." I looked around the staff room, then pulled Yvanna in the direction of the wardrobe where the teachers all hung their coats. "Get in," I said, shoving her inside and casting a silencing spell on the door."

11/28/2010 #9
Fishy Biscuits

~Yvanna~

'Wait - what?' I asked, almost tripping over inside the wardrobe. It wasn't a particularly big space, and it was pretty dark. 'Orien?' I said. 'What was that for? What's happened?'

11/28/2010 #10
Sanaryelle

Orien-

I took a deep breath. "I have to tell you something," I said, "and you must promise not to interrupt or ask any questions until I'm done. Agreed?" Yvanna nodded, still looking surprised, and I told her about my involvement in Garret's murder at that pub in Wyverley. I told her what Oliver had told me in the letter: how the sisters had fled across the Wall, how Oliver and his friend Nate had gone across as well, about Nate's death - I choked up a bit at this point - about Oliver and Raylinn's capture, and what Cariel had done to ensure their freedom. "She's being held in Wyverley as we speak," I finished. I stopped, and waited for Yvanna's reaction.

11/28/2010 #11
Fishy Biscuits

~Yvanna~

I didn't quite know what to say at the end of Orien's story. It all seemed rather confusing to me. Orien seemed to be waiting for me to say something, so I said the first thing I could think of.

'So... your brother's gone back to the Old Kingdom then? With... Raylinn, was it? Seems a bit odd to me. Why didn't he go back to live with your parents?'

11/28/2010 #12
Sanaryelle

Orien-

"I... don't know," I admitted. "Oliver was always a bit - reckless. He'd make snap decisions without telling anyone. Like refusing to enrol in the officer's academy. I think he mentioned something about avenging Nate's death..." I fumbled with the letter. I really was worried about Oliver. I knew he could take care of himself, but if Nate had already died...

11/28/2010 #13
Fishy Biscuits

~Yvanna~

'Ah, right,' I said, still not really understanding. 'I don't suppose you'd know why this - what was her name? - Cariel? - why she would take her sister's place in prison. It doesn't make much sense to me. If my sister had murdered someone, I don't think I'd cover for her like that.'

11/28/2010 . Edited 11/29/2010 #14
Sanaryelle

Orien-

"I don't know," I admitted. "But I met Cariel, on the night of the Winter Dance, when we were fighting that - um - that thing on Docky Point. She seemed really nice. And, well, maybe a bit stressed. We all were. But... Oliver asked me to visit her. You know, give her some company. I think I should."

11/28/2010 #15
Fishy Biscuits

~Yvanna~

I nodded. 'I guess, if you know her, then it might be a nice thing to do,' I said. 'I don't suppose she knows many people around here, does she?'

11/28/2010 #16
Sanaryelle

Orien-

"I don't think she knows anyone," I admitted. "She's from the Old Kingdom. I think that was her first time in Ancelstierre. And... well... in Oliver's letter, he wrote that she had been engaged to Nate." I didn't know quite what to feel about this. I'd liked Nate for a whole year, even though I'd only met him once.

11/28/2010 #17
Fishy Biscuits

~Yvanna~

'Engaged to him?' I repeated, blinking. Wasn't Nate the guy Orien had had a crush on? Orien nodded, but didn't say anything else. 'So...' I said, batting one of the coats out of the way. 'I assume you want to go and see Cariel, then?'

(Yvanna!OOC: *bats coats out the way* Hey! I found Narnia!)

11/28/2010 #18
Sanaryelle

Orien-

"Yes," I said, though I felt a bit nervous about visiting the police station and asking to see a prisoner. What would the Headmistress think. "Would you come with me?" I asked with a grin. "We can pretend we're going to Wyverley to buy gloves."

(OOC: Orien!OOC: Look at the goaty little man...)

11/28/2010 #19
Fishy Biscuits

~Yvanna~

'All right,' I said, rolling my eyes at her. 'As long as you don't try and fix me up with a prison guard or something.'

(Yvanna!OOC: Omg a talking beaver!)

11/28/2010 #20
Sanaryelle

Orien-

I laughed. "That might be a step up from the bartender," I admitted, opening the door to the closet. With Yvanna coming along with me, the prospect of visiting Cariel didn't seem so bleak.

"I guess we should go on the weekend," I remarked, straightening my hair.

(Orien!OOC: Yes, I'd love some Turkish Delight.)

11/28/2010 #21
Fishy Biscuits

~Yvanna~

I nodded and followed Orien out of the wardrobe.

'That sounds like a good -' I stopped in mid-sentence as I saw the person standing just in front of us, her hands on her hips. 'Oh - hello, Headmistress,' I said, trying to sound casual.

(Yvanna!OOC: Yay! Santa!)

11/28/2010 #22
Sanaryelle

Orien-

I froze. The Headmistress had her arms crossed, and she was tapping her foot. "Where are you going on the weekend?" she demanded.

"Wyverley," I answered quickly before Yvanna could say something daft. "My brother wants me to visit one of his friends there." That was mostly true.

The Headmistress narrowed her eyes. "And what were you doing in the closet?"

(Orien!OOC: A cordial that heals people? Can I have a sword instead?)

11/28/2010 #23
Fishy Biscuits

~Yvanna~

'Looking for our coats,' I said, in what was hopefully a convincing voice. 'We couldn't remember if we'd left them in there or not. The door shut while we were looking,' I added, then winced. That really hadn't sounded too convincing at all.

11/28/2010 #24
Sanaryelle

Orien-

I tried not to stare at Yvanna or groan or roll my eyes or do anything in any way to confirm the obvous lie.

"I see..." said the Headmistress, looking between us. "This wouldn't have anything to do with the... glove shopping trip you went on last weekend, would it?"

"Gl- glove shopping trip?" I repeated faintly.

"The gardener had quite an interesting story to tell," said the Headmistress. "Something about two of the youngest teachers in my faculty getting back on the late bus and tripping over a wheelbarrow on the lawn on their way back."

I almost winced; Yvanna and I really had quite a bit to drink - Yvanna more than me, because the bartender kept insisting that she try different cocktails. She had tripped over the wheelbarrow, and I had fallen over trying to help her up. We'd thought that nobody had heard us, though.

11/28/2010 . Edited 11/28/2010 #25
Fishy Biscuits

~Yvanna~

'Oh, that,' I said, laughing a little. 'Well, as I told the gardener, we are both rather particular about our gloves. We came back so late because we'd spent so long trying to find a pair of gloves that we liked, that were also a sensible price. And I tripped over the wheelbarrow because... well, I'm a bit clumsy. And it was dark.'

I was starting to really hate the fact that I couldn't lie for toffee.

11/28/2010 #26
Sanaryelle

Orien-

The Headmistress clearly didn't believe a word, and I very nearly buried my face in my hands. But I didn't. I needed to say something to save the situation.

"We may have had one or two drinks at the pub after our shopping trip," I admitted, trying to sound ashamed.

The Headmistress nodded. "I thought it was something of the sort. I do not mind my faculty going out once in a while to relax, especially you girls." I had to refrain from rolling my eyes at being called "girls". "But this sort of behaviour, sneaking back to the school late at night, is unacceptable. Do you understand me?" I nodded, trying to look apologetic. "Now this visit to Wyverley wouldn't be along the same lines, would it?" If the Headmistress' mouth got any thinner, it would cease to exist.

"No," I said. "My brother really did ask me to visit a friend." I folded over Oliver's letter so that only the bottom part was visible, and showed it to the Headmistress.

She nodded. "Very well. You may go to Wyverley, but I expect you both back at a decent time." She turned on her heel and left the staff room.

"I hate her, the old bag," I grumbled, throwing myself back into my chair. "Giving us permission to visit the town - who does she think she is?"

11/28/2010 #27
Fishy Biscuits

~Yvanna~

'Our boss?' I suggested, still looking at the staff room door. I poured myself another cup of tea, then got one for Orien too. 'At least she's letting us go,' I added. 'You know what she can be like sometimes.'

11/28/2010 #28
Sanaryelle

(OOC: Hello again!)

Orien-

"I know," I sighed, accepting the cup of tea and taking a grateful sip. "I suppose I should write to the police station and notify them of our impending visit. Though if the dragon lady ever found out that we were visiting someone in prison..." I shuddered at the idea. Wyverley College was a place to educate "young women of quality", and the Headmistress prided herself on running a very tight ship. The slightest hint of inappropriate behaviour, and Yvanna and I would be sent packing. We all knew what had happened to the previous mathematics instructor.

11/28/2010 #29
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: *yawn* Morning.)

~Yvanna~

'I'm sure she won't find out,' I said, sounding more confident about that than I felt. 'She doesn't read letters we send, and she doesn't intercept our post, so I don't really see how she would. Unless we run into someone we know while we're in Wyverly, that is...'

11/28/2010 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Fishy Biscuits Sanaryelle
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member