The Store Next Door
The new version of The Shoppe, now affectionatly known as 'Sneed.' Home to the Old Kingdom RP that keeps Sanaryelle and Fishy Biscuits awake till Charter-knows-what time in the morning!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Fishy Biscuits

Continued from The Shoppe: http://forum.fanfiction.net/topic/66557/19530274/1/

11/5/2010 #1
Sanaryelle

Continued from Roble's Town, page 25.

Cariel-

I watched Iselli fly back north in her Paperwing, then crossed the Wall.

The guards looked over my papers and glanced suspiciously at my belongings, but let me through. Being the Abhorsen actually counted for something around here, especially since the days of Sabriel.

At my request I was brought to the commanding officer, a Colonel. When my name and station were announced at the door of his office, he immediately arose from his seat and extended a hand courteously. "You are most welcome here, Abhorsen," he said as he shook my hand. "I am Colonel Gerren. Please have a seat."

I deposted my bags on the floor, and sat on the wooden chair. I glanced at the paperwork littering Gerren's desk. "Busy?"

"Never too busy for the Abhorsen," said Gerren, shifting a stack of documents and folding his hands on the top of his desk. "Now - what can I do for you?"

I took a deep breath. "I need to tell you something..."

11/17/2010 . Edited 11/19/2010 #2
Sanaryelle

Cariel-

I was sitting across the table from Colonel Gerren, the Wyverly Chief of Police, and a Minister that had just come in by "aeroplane". A scribe was seated in the corner.

"Let's go over this again," the Chief of Police said tiredly. "You murdered Garret Krane, but your sister Raylinn - er - performed the spell?"

"That's right," I confirmed. "Raylinn was engaged to Garret - she wouldn't have killed him on her own. I wanted her to leave him, because I couldn't have my sister married to a man like that."

"Your sister is sixteen?" the Minister asked, peering over his spectacles.

"Seventeen this morning," I said with a slight smile. Raylinn always forgot her birthday... "But she would have had no problems lying about her age to marry that drunken lout."

"I think we've cleared that up, Minister," said Colonel Gerren firmly. "The Abhorsen naturally felt protective of her sister. Witnesses claim Raylinn cast the spell, but she was only the instrument for the Abhorsen's crime. I might have done the same if it was my daughter engaged to this man." I gave Gerren a grateful smile.

The Chief of Police was frowning. "I still don't get this, though," he said, holding up a piece of paper. "A woman matching Raylinn's description was found dead. The case was closed."

"That wasn't my sister," I said firmly. "The true Raylinn was caught by the Royal Guard, and is being brought to Ancelstierre as we speak. They are due to arrive sometime today." With Raylinn captured, by people who could vouch for her identity, the decoy body was useless. "Are we quite finished?" I asked. I had been talking all night, and now it was dawn. My throat was hoarse. Colonel Gerran refilled my glass of water.

"I believe so," said the Minister.

I sighed. "Then let's talk about the Abhorsenship. I am the Abhorsen, and you all recognize me as such." The Minister nodded, and I continued. "I have named Raylinn my Abhorsen-in-Waiting, and have sent the necessary notification and documents to Belisaere. She is officially my successor. And now that I am to be arrested, Raylinn will become the next Abhorsen. Do you agree?"

The Minister and Chief of Police exchanged dubious glances. "Of course we do," said Colonel Gerren. He had been very understanding throughout the whole procedure.

"So she will be Abhorsen?" I pressed.

The Chief of Police grudgingly nodded. "With your confession, the charges against her will be dropped. She maybe be called in later as a witness at your trial, but until then she will be free to go."

"And Tindall?" I asked.

Colonel Gerren frowned. "He is due for a court-martial. Aiding and abetting in the murder of Garret Krane, desertion, striking a superior officer, and nine counts of insubordination... it doesn't look good for him. If found guilty he will be sentenced to death by firing squad."

"I have already given evidence that I used magic to force Privates Johnson and Tindall to help Raylinn and I across the Wall." I motioned at my bandolier. "These bells don't only control the Dead."

The men eyed my bandolier nervously. "Very well," said the Colonel. "Tindall will not be charged for the crimes he committed while under the control of the Abhorsen. But," he added, "he will be discharged from the Army."

I nodded in satisfaction, then shook the hands of the three men. "Thank you." They filed out of the room.

Left alone, I sighed and leaned back in my chair. It had actually worked.

11/22/2010 . Edited 11/23/2010 #3
Fishy Biscuits

Continued from "Barhedrin", page 7.

~Raylinn~

The cart stopped close to the Wall, but I didn't even try to look up at it. I was too cold to move at all, and the less I thought about what was happening, the better. I had half-expected Cariel to appear suddenly on the road and try to rescue me, but she hadn't. Maybe she'd decided that I deserved this too.

I assumed Mawbor and the other guard were carrying out whatever formalities were involved, but all I could do for now was wait and shiver.

11/23/2010 . Edited by Sanaryelle, 11/23/2010 #4
Sanaryelle

Cariel-

I sat with my head in my hands. Two days late... but that could mean nothing...

The door opened to admit Colonel Gerren. "They're arriving," he said. I immediately got up and followed him outside, walking in the direction of the gate. Archers and swordsman had already assembled, as much to prevent anything dangerous from crossing as to welcome the party from the Old Kingdom. I waited beside Gerren, trying not to show how nervous I was. How had they treated Raylinn? What would she think of my confession? And beneath all of this a lurking suspicion, though I had only lain with Nate that one night...

A cart trundled through the gate drawn by a tired-looking horse, with two Royal Guards - a man and a woman - perched on the driver's seat. "Corporal Mawbor," said the man, placing a hand on his chest, "and Corporal Fenel," he added, motioning to the driver. "We bring the prisoner Raylinn.

It took every ounce of my self-control not to dash forward, and wait for Colonel Gerren to approach first. I was a prisoner now, after all, and Gerren had been very generous in allowing me to wait for Raylinn. After several official-sounding introductions, Gerren finally approached the cart, and motioned me to come with him.

11/23/2010 #5
Fishy Biscuits

~Raylinn~

I closed my eyes as I heard people approach the cart. I couldn't stop shivering, but now I was shaking with fear as well as cold; I knew there would be policemen waiting here for me, waiting to take me who knew where. I doubted that they would let me stay here and wait for Oliver to arrive. I hadn't had a chance to say a proper goodbye to him...

I sniffed, and tried to empty my mind of thoughts like that. The policemen would probably want me to answer a few questions, and I didn't think I would be able to talk at all in the pathetic state I was currently in. Maybe, if I kept my eyes closed, they would think that I was unconscious and they would just leave me alone.

11/23/2010 . Edited 11/23/2010 #6
Sanaryelle

Mawbor-

I grinned when the officer, Gerren, approached the cart, but my grin rapidly faded when I saw the young woman at his side. Her surcoat was black, and she was not wearing sword or bells, but her resemblance to Raylinn was striking - or rather, her resemblance to how Raylinn had looked before we'd begun our interrogation. Was this Raylinn's sister Cariel? The Abhorsen? Had she come to see her sister before they carted her off to prison? I gulped nervously as they drew closer, and began wishing that Sorienne was here.

Gerren and Cariel drew level and looked over the side of the cart. Cariel's eyes widened in shock, and then her white face went very hard and cold. She said nothing, and her silence was making me even more nervous.

"What have you been doing to her?" Gerren demanded, looking stern.

I shrugged. "Prisoner's been acting up..."

Cariel turned to look at me, and I shivered involuntarily. "Who is in command?"

"Sorienne," I babbled. "She's on her way right now with Tindall - should be here in a few minutes -" Cariel did not wait to hear anything else, but climbed into the back of the cart. "Hey -" I started, but Fenel stopped me with a hand on my arm. I watched as Cariel knelt beside the prisoner and gently put her hand on her brow.

11/23/2010 #7
Fishy Biscuits

~Raylinn~

I flinched as I felt someone's hand rest on my forehead, and I slowly opened my eyes. I had to blink several times - partly to get rid of the snowflakes that had settled on my face, and partly because I couldn't quite believe what I was seeing.

'Cariel?' I asked, my voice barely above a whisper.

11/23/2010 #8
Sanaryelle

Cariel-

I forced a smile; at least she was awake. "Yes," I confirmed. "I'm here."

I examined her, taking in her bloody scalp and lip, the carving at the base of her throat, the odd angles of her arms, her laboured breathing, and the dark stains on her stomach. "Charter, what did they do to you..." I murmured. I felt like sobbing, or maybe ripping Mawbor's arms out of his sockets.

11/23/2010 #9
Fishy Biscuits

~Raylinn~

I tried to say something in response, but all that came out was a weak cough. Fortunately, it wasn't accompanied by blood, but it made my stomach and side hurt. I shivered and closed my eyes again, and tried to will the pain away.

11/23/2010 #10
Sanaryelle

(OOC: Why hello again RP buddy!)

Cariel-

"Never mind," I said quietly. "Don't answer that. Just be still."

I untied Raylinn's arms, placed my hand against the side of her throat, and sank into the Charter. After a night at the Perimeter, with a good nap and some army rations, I had recovered some of my strength. Enough to heal the worst of the damage.

Charter marks flowed out of my fingers and into Raylinn's skin, and as I directed them through her body I became aware of every bruise, every cut, every broken bone on and in her body. Her physical state shocked me, but I had to push my feelings aside and concentrate on the healing. I heard Raylinn make a small noise as the bones in her arms and ribs knitted together. Healing bones could be painful, but then she had probably been through an indescribable amoung of pain already. The cuts on her stomach then closed up, as did the wounds on her scalp, lip, and throat, though I could not heal them completely; the scars would be pink and tender for some time, but at least the bleeding would stop.

When I was finished I sat back, feeling quite enhausted. Raylinn was pale and bruised and gaunt, and blood still crusted her clothes, but hopefully she wasn't in too much pain anymore.

11/23/2010 . Edited 11/23/2010 #11
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: We meet again, Mr Bond. :P)

~Raylinn~

'Thank you,' I whispered, though I kept my eyes closed. I wanted to reach out and hug Cariel, to cry into her shoulder or something, but I still felt too weak to move. My arms were still sore, though the pain was gradually beginning to lessen, and I couldn't summon the energy to do anything except lie there and shiver. But the fact that Cariel was there, that she hadn't just abandoned me, was making me feel a lot better already.

11/23/2010 #12
Sanaryelle

(OOC: lol, are you petting Mogget? ^_^)

Cariel-

I heard the sound of an approaching horse and cart, and looked up. "That's Sorienne coming right now," said Mawbor, sounding very relieved.

I bent down and put my mouth to Raylinn's ear. "Listen to me carefully," I whispered. "Don't say anything - no matter what you may hear - until I have the chance to speak to you alone. Understand?"

11/23/2010 #13
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: Yus I am. And he's wanting fish. ^_^)

~Raylinn~

I frowned; Cariel's instructions confused me. 'What... what do you... mean?' I asked, my voice shaking with cold.

11/23/2010 #14
Sanaryelle

(OOC: lol *snogs random girl* Oh yes - I am Bond. ^_^)

Cariel-

"I figured out a way to get you and Oliver out of this," I explained quietly. "I'll explain everything to you when I can. But don't say anything until I do."

The sound of the cart was getting louder, and Mawbor was looking at me suspiciously.

"Raylinn, you have to trust me," I whispered urgently. "Promise me you won't say or do anything."

11/23/2010 #15
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: *sigh* Please, Mr Bond. Control your urges. :P)

~Raylinn~

I nodded slowly, though I was still confused. She'd come up with a way to get us out of this mess? How?

'I promise,' I whispered, my teeth chattering.

11/23/2010 #16
Sanaryelle

(OOC: I only get with the women to further my mission. *nods* Yes.)

Cariel-

I gave a relieved smile. "Thanks." I squeezed her hand, and then sat up to watch the approach of the second cart.

11/23/2010 #17
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

I narrowed my eyes as I saw the young woman kneeling beside the slut. I could guess who she was - she looked very similar to the slut, and was holding her hand. She had to be the Abhorsen, Cariel. I could also see Mawbor looking relieved at the sight of our cart. He was probably worried about what Cariel would say, or had already said, regarding the treatment of her sister. I, on the other hand, was not worried at all. Yes, Cariel would almost certainly be angry about it, but I had the letter Tarael had sent to Lieutenant Jeris safely in my pack.

I turned to look at Tindall. It was annoying that he and the slut would be able to see each other once more, but with any luck it would only be brief.

11/23/2010 #18
Sanaryelle

Oliver-

I blinked as a shadow fell over the cart; we were crossing the Wall. I noticed Sorienne looking crossly at me as I managed to sit up, and soon I saw why - Raylinn's cart was still at the Perimeter. She looked better than when I had last seen her - she was unbound, and her arms weren't bent at awful angles anymore. And kneeling beside her was...

"Cariel?"

Raylinn's sister looked angrier than I'd ever seen her, but it was a very quiet, cold sort of anger. And she was looking right at Sorienne.

11/23/2010 #19
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

I met the Abhorsen's eyes calmly as the cart came to a halt. She was glaring daggers at me, but it didn't bother me at all.

'Abhorsen,' I said, nodding in greeting. I noticed that she had healed the slut, which was also rather annoying. Mawbor and I weren't allowed to harm her now she had left the Old Kingdom.

11/23/2010 #20
Sanaryelle

Cariel-

From the look of it, Oliver was in pretty bad shape - nearly as bad as Raylinn had been. I clenched my jaw, then inclined my head. "Sorienne," I acknowledged. "Were you in command, and therefore responsible for the... wellbeing of your two prisoners?"

11/23/2010 #21
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

'I have been in command since the death of Lieutenant Jeris,' I explained. 'He gave Mawbor and I instructions regarding the prisoners and we, of course, obeyed him.'

11/23/2010 #22
Sanaryelle

Cariel-

"Your instructions were to convey them to the Wall," I said. "Not deliver them in this condition."

Beside the cart, Colonel Gerren made a small movement, and I glanced down at him; did he know something about this?

11/23/2010 #23
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

'We were told to get a confession out of at least one of them,' I said cooly. 'We did what was necessary in order to do that.'

11/23/2010 #24
Sanaryelle

Cariel-

Raylinn and Oliver were watching the exchange silently.

"This kind of treatment is not sanctioned by Old Kingdom law," I protested. As soon as I said that, Raylinn flinched and Oliver lowered his eyes. What did everyone know that they were not telling me?

11/23/2010 #25
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

'Not in most circumstances,' I agreed. 'But, you see,' I continued, pulling a scroll of paper out of my pack, 'our actions were authorised before the prisoners had even been captured.' I handed the scroll to her. 'I believe you will recognise the signiture.'

11/23/2010 #26
Sanaryelle

Cariel-

I unrolled the scroll. I read the document. I read it again. I looked at Sorienne, then Raylinn. Then checked the signature a third time.

"Tarael..." I breathed. I turned to Colonel Gerren. "You knew about this," I accused.

Gerren nodded. "I did not want to upset you."

"Well, it's upsetting me now," I said tightly. I let go of the bottom of the scroll and it rolled itself up with a snap. Tarael had alredy been dead when Raylinn was apprehended. Officially, I had been the Abhorsen then. I could have prevented this - cancelled the order - but I hadn't been told. Tarael had kept this a secret from me, probably because I'd fled over the Wall with Raylinn.

I turned back to Sorienne. "I am Abhorsen now," I said firmly, the words sounding unfamiliar on my tongue. "I have the King's ear. And I can promise that you, Sorienne, will never serve in the Royal Guard again. In fact, you will be lucky if the Charter Mark is not burned from your forehead."

11/23/2010 . Edited 11/23/2010 #27
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

'With all due respect, Abhorsen,' I replied, without so much as blinking at her threats. 'I cannot be punished for my past actions if they were legal at the time.'

11/23/2010 #28
Sanaryelle

Cariel-

"Legal?" I scoffed. "Some of Raylinn's wounds were less than a day old, and therefore inflicted after she gave her confession. Also, torture was not sanctioned on Oliver Tindall. You have flagrantly abused your power, and caused your prisoners unnecessary pain, and for that I will see you punished."

11/23/2010 #29
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

'If you would re-read the scroll,' I said evenly, 'you will find that the authorisation of torture was not limited to before she confessed. As for Tindall's injuries, I did not cause any of them. They were all inflicted by Corporal Mawbor.'

11/23/2010 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Fishy Biscuits Sanaryelle
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member