The Store Next Door
The new version of The Shoppe, now affectionatly known as 'Sneed.' Home to the Old Kingdom RP that keeps Sanaryelle and Fishy Biscuits awake till Charter-knows-what time in the morning!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 .. Last Next »
Sanaryelle

(OOC: How did she find out?)

Oliver-

I shook my head, and we all stood. The Colonel shook our hands. "Good luck," he said sincerely. "I'd send out a crossing party with you, but we're stretched thin as it is."

"No need," I assured him, and Raylinn and I left his office, heading over to the visitors' quarters to gather our things. "What was the letter about?" I asked before realizing it really was none of my business. "You don't need to tell me - I was just wondering..."

11/28/2010 #241
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: *blushes* I got drunk. 'Nuff said.)

~Raylinn~

'It was to Cariel,' I said quietly, keeping my eyes on the ground. 'Just letting her know what we're planning to do, and that we're okay, things like that.'

11/28/2010 #242
Sanaryelle

(OOC: lol! Dwunken confeshuns awe the besht!)

Oliver-

I nodded. "Right," I said softly. On an instinct I put an arm around her shoulders as we walked.

11/28/2010 #243
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: Not when they're to a cousin who doesn't know how to keep her mouth shut. If she says anything, I'm dead.)

~Raylinn~

Oliver's arm around my shoulders surprised me at first, but it felt nice. Without really thinking much, I leaned my head to one side, resting it lightly against him. I wanted to put my arm around him too, but I was carrying the sword and bells now.

'You know,' I said as we walked. 'I hope the King doesn't ask me to avenge his precious niece too soon. I'm starting to look forward to getting some revenge of my own now.'

11/28/2010 #244
Sanaryelle

(OOC: Oh man... Hence the beer bribery)

Oliver-

"You and me both," I said grimly.

Far too soon we reached the visitors' quarters, and I reluctantly dropped my arm from around Raylinn's shoulders. "Meet you back here?" I said.

11/28/2010 #245
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: Yeah. What makes it worse is that she'll be ringing with us then, and he'll be there too. She's not known for her subtlety.)

~Raylinn~

'Yeah,' I whispered, giving him a small smile before going into my room.

I placed the sword and bell-bandolier on the bed, then shrugged on my surcoat - or, what was left of my surcoat. I made sure I had the pack containing my diary and The Book of the Dead, and that the bullet Cariel had given me was still safely in my shirt pocket, then put the pack beside the weapons. My weapons, I thought, my mouth curving upwards slightly. I buckled the swordbelt around my waist, adjusting it slightly so the sword rested comfortably on my hip and the belt didn't press too hard against my stomach wounds, and then put on the bandolier. It was good to feel the weight of the bells across my chest again. Finally, I swung the pack on my back, and left the room.

11/28/2010 #246
Sanaryelle

(OOC: Oh no... stupid snide remarks, huh?)

Oliver-

I packed up the soldier's kit someone had left me, tucking the cigarettes into an easily-accessible pocket. I checked my swordbelt and knives, then swung the back onto my back. Most of my belongings had been strapped to Drew's saddle, but there was nothing that I sorely missed and couldn't be replaced.

I left the room, shutting the door just as Raylinn emerged. Without a word we set off for the archway leading through the Wall.

11/28/2010 #247
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: And obvious eye gestures, and badly-hidden sniggers...)

~Raylinn~

As we walked I had a sudden urge to hold Oliver's hand, and I automatically moved a little closer to him - though I didn't actually take his hand. I looked up at him, trying to read his expression; I wondered if he was upset about leaving his home and his friends like this. I guessed he was, though I couldn't see anything obvious in his face. I couldn't help but feel bad about leaving Cariel here, but there wasn't much I could do about it without landing myself in prison instead. Hopefully she'd get my letter soon; I'd written that Oliver and I would make avanging Nate's killer our top priority, so I hoped she'd be pleased about that. Now that I thought about it, Cariel would probably think that someone else had written the letter - I'd said that I loved her at the end of it. I'd never said that, or anything like that, to her before.

11/28/2010 #248
Sanaryelle

(OOC: Guh. Well, maybe you can get her totally drunk the night before, and she'll be too hungover to tease you.)

Oliver-

The guards checked out passports, and waved us on. As we walked through the archway, I paused once to look over my shoulder. I wondered if I'd ever see Ancelstierre again. I hoped I would - I'd like to visit my parents, and speak to Orien about all this, and catch up with Reg and the other guys who had been in my patrol. And in the Old Kingdom they didn't have things that I was used to, like cars and telephones and cigarettes - though my friends had seen to that last one. However, Nate had died here and his murderer was still at large, and therefore I couldn't even think about staying in Ancelstierre.

I turned and saw that Raylinn was watching me anxiously, and I gave her a reassuring smile. We kept walking, and eventually entered the Old Kingdom. The sky was clear here instead of overcast, and it was a bit windier - but I only noted the change in weather in the back of my mind. Sitting on the ground in front of us was a strange blue and silver contraption that looked like nothing so much as a canoe with wings. Raylinn was reading a note that had been lying inside, and showed it to me: "To the Abhorsen, compliments of the Clayr".

"Er... Raylinn?" I asked, looking at the canoe uncertainly. "What is this?"

11/28/2010 . Edited 11/28/2010 #249
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: If I get her totally drunk, she'll end up blurting it out to everyone within hearing distance. Not good.)

~Raylinn~

'It's a Paperwing,' I said, trying not to sound nervous. 'It's, um... it's a bit like an aeroplane,' I added, seeing Oliver's confused expression. 'It'll get us back to the House faster. If...' I paused and gave Oliver an apologetic look. 'If I can work out how to fly it.'

11/28/2010 #250
Sanaryelle

(OOC: Oh right. Good point. :P)

Oliver-

"If you can..." I examined the strange flying craft in more detail. As its name indicated, it looked like it was made of flimsy paper. "Are you sure this is safe?" I asked dubiously.

11/28/2010 #251
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: Yeah... Maybe my sister's cooking will make her ill or something... *thinking pose*)

~Raylinn~

'It's meant to be,' I answered, running one hand along the edge of the cockpit. 'I'll admit, I've never actually flown in one before. Not even as a passenger.'

11/28/2010 #252
Sanaryelle

(OOC: One could always hope.)

Oliver-

"Well if you don't feel comfortable doing it we could just walk," I said, hoping that I didn't sound too insistent. The more Raylinn said, the less I felt like taking a ride in one of these things.

11/28/2010 #253
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: Yeah... I might have to have words with my sister about this...)

~Raylinn~

I looked at the note again. 'Well, if the Clayr sent it to us, then I'm guessing they haven't seen us crashing it and dying,' I said, shrugging. 'So, I guess I could give it a go. I've seen Cariel fly one before, and I think I know a few Charter marks for working the winds, so it might be all right...'

11/28/2010 #254
Sanaryelle

(OOC: You and your sister ganging up to make your cousin ill? This is becoming an elaborate plot.)

Oliver-

This really wan't encouraging. "Doesn't it come with... I don't know... instructions?" I suggested, feeling stupid like I always did when there was something in the Old Kingdom I didn't understand.

11/28/2010 #255
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: As long as my sister doesn't start asking why I want to make her ill... *shifty eyes*)

~Raylinn~

I gave him another apologetic look. He really was looking rather nervous - not that I could blame him, though.

'I don't know,' I replied, checking the back of the Clayr's note to see if there was something written there. 'There's probably some instructions at the House, but they're not much use... I guess we could try flying it anyway, and just see how it goes.' I saw Oliver's expression. 'Unless you'd rather walk, of course,' I added quickly.

11/28/2010 #256
Sanaryelle

(OOC: Oh, of course. *dons false moustache*)

Oliver-

"Well..." I really would rather walk, but these Clayr people had gone through the trouble of leaving this Paperwing for us. And Raylinn seemed to trust them implicitly. "All right," I sighed, feeling that I was going against my better judgement. "Let's give it a try."

11/28/2010 #257
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: *puts on trench coat*)

~Raylinn~

I gave Oliver a slightly nervous smile, and then climbed into the cockpit, putting my sword into a special recepticle on one side, seating myself in the half-hammock seat and wriggling around until I was comfortable. I glanced back at Oliver, and gestured to the rear of the craft. 'You'll have to sit there,' I said. I noticed some straps in the back of the Paperwing. 'It looks like you can strap yourself in or something.'

11/28/2010 #258
Sanaryelle

(OOC: Oh, not this again... *hides under black umbrella*)

Oliver-

"Oh, great," I mumbled. I supposed I should be grateful that there was some semblance of safety. I stepped into the aircraft, expecting my foot to go right through the bottom and was surprised when it didn't. I stowed away my weapons, and put the straps over my shoulders.

Right now, it felt like we were sitting in a canoe in the middle of the woods. I felt ridiculous.

"Now what?" I asked.

11/28/2010 #259
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: Well, why not? *puts on black hat*)

~Raylinn~

'Umm...' I looked around inside the Paperwing, just in case there were instructions in there, but I didn't find anything except a small mirror. I wondered what on earth a mirror was doing there, just below the rim of the cockpit. I wasn't exactly going to start combing my hair while I was flying.

I was about to tell Oliver that I really didn't know what to do now, but I sneezed instead, my breath steaming the mirror up. I sniffed, then stared at the mirror - a Charter mark was slowly appearing on its clouded surface. I looked at the mark, recognising what it meant, and then payed close attention when more marks followed it. It seemed like the Paperwing did have some instructions after all. I hadn't ever practiced weather magic before, but I knew it involved whistling, which wouldn't be a problem.

The final mark showed on the mirror, and then faded, leaving the glass completely clear. I turned to Oliver with a more confident look on my face. 'I think I know pretty much what to do now,' I told him. Then, I pictured the first Charter mark in my mind, and started to whistle.

11/28/2010 #260
Sanaryelle

(OOC: *puts on glasses with swirly eyes*)

Oliver-

"Whoa!" I grabbed onto the sides of the Paperwing as the entire craft began to shudder. I stared at the lines of golden Charter marks streaming over the surface. The fact that Raylinn knew what to do should have been comforting, but if anything I felt even more nervous.

Raylinn gave a second whistle, and a wind sprang up behind us, growing stronger and stronger until the Paperwing practically leaped into the air. I was too surprised to say anything, and peered down at the ground below that was rapidly moving further and further away. My hands were still clutching the sides of the aircraft. "I don't believe this..." I murmured

11/28/2010 #261
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: Omg I want those glasses!)

~Raylinn~

I gripped the rim of the cockpit tightly, and started to regret my lack of a cloak. The winter air had been cold enough down on the ground when we had been travelling at a walking pace. Now that we were up in the air, and travelling quite a bit faster, it was absolutely freezing. To try and distract myself from the cold - which wouldn't help my sore throat and fever one bit - I turned to glance back at Oliver.

'You all right?' I called - or tried to. I wasn't sure if he cold hear my irritatingly quiet voice over the rushing wind.

11/28/2010 #262
Sanaryelle

(OOC: *pulls out another pair of glasses* They won't notice us now!)

Oliver-

"What?" I said, then realized what she was asking me. I nodded. Just don't look over the edge of the Paperwing. In fact, don't even think about where you are right now.

With the wind, high up in the air, it was starting to get very cold. I convinced myself to let go of the Paperwing so that I could rub my hands together. I hoped Raylinn wasn't too cold. She was sick, and this would only make it worse.

(OOC: Timecut to Abhorsen's House soon?)

11/28/2010 #263
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: Not at all!)

(OOC: Yeah, sure.)

~Raylinn~

I nodded back athim, and then turned back around so I could see where we were going. It wouldn't be too long a flight to the House, so I cautiously looked over the side of the Paperwing to see where we were. Luckily, the Paperwing had been facing North when we'd found it, so I hadn't had to steer it yet, and I could see the Ratterlin running East below us. From up here, it just looked like a silvery ribbon, glittering in the sunlight.

After only about an hour or so of flying, I got the feeling that the Paperwing wanted to go back down towards the ground, and I guessed that we were nearly there. I wetted my lips - with some difficulty - and then started to whistle the Charter marks that would make the wind drop gradually. With any luck, the Paperwing wouldn't be too difficult to land.

11/28/2010 #264
Sanaryelle

(OOC: Our disguises are perfect. *nods* Yus.)

(OOC: I guess when you land it...)

Oliver-

The Paperwing started to descend, and against my better judgement I peeked over the side. We really were lower to the ground. And up ahead - a waterfall. And beyond that, a white house with a red tile roof, standing on an island in the middle of the river. I started to feel even more nervous. Did Raylinn know how to land this thing? I decided to shut up and just let her do what we had to do, trying not to imagine us crashing into the side of the wall.

11/28/2010 #265
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: Indeed they are. Wait - why are we disguised again? I forget...)

~Raylinn~

As we neared the House and the Paperwing got lower and lower, I began to get nervous again. The main part of the flight had been relatively easy, and apart from the bitterly cold wind, it had been quite enjoyable. But now, with the huge waterfall, the river, and the walls of the House all posing potential dangers, I wasn't so sure about this. The fact that the Clayr only Saw possible futures was now coming to the forefront of my mind.

I whistled again, hoping that I'd got the Charter mark right, and the Paperwing headed slightly to the Eastern side of the House. I knew the Paperwing platform was on that side, though I couldn't remember exactly where. We flew through the spray of the waterfall - which was about as cold as the air - and then I saw the platform. It was a lot smaller than I'd imagined it. I whistled once more, hoping like mad that I had timed it right, and the wind dropped almost to complete stillness. The Paperwing dropped too, and for a moment I had a horrible image of the craft crashing into the side of the platform and falling into the river. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I felt it land on solid ground, though the landing wasn't quite as smooth and gentle as it possible should have been.

I took a few moments to get my breath back, and then I found that I was shivering again. Trying to ignore that, I turned around to Oliver, and attempted a grin.

'We made it.'

11/28/2010 #266
Sanaryelle

(OOC: Umm... to sabotage your sister's cooking? Or something?)

(OOC: I'll post on the Abhorsen's House.)

11/28/2010 #267
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: Oh yeah... :P)

(OOC: Okay then!)

Continued on "Abhorsen's House", page 1, post 2.

11/28/2010 . Edited by Sanaryelle, 11/28/2010 #268
Sanaryelle

Continued from Abhorsen's House, page 38.

Oliver-

We were let through the gate, and had to wait as the Perimeter Guard inspected our passports. "You're an Ancelstierran?" asked the guard, quite a young kid who I didn't recognize.

"That's right," I said. "Born in Bain, like it says."

The kid glanced at my clothes and sword, and frowned. "What were you doing in the Old Kingdom?"

"Visiting a friend," I said, motioning at Idriel.I really didn't feel like answering this pretentious kid's questions, but I was a civvie now and had to go by the rules. Still, I hated that I had to show this kid some respect while he clearly didn't know what he was doing.

The kid handed my passport back. "Okay, but you can't bring swords across."

"Bullshit," I said evenly.

1/1/2011 #269
Fishy Biscuits

~Idriel~

'We've brought swords across before,' I interjected, when the soldier opened his mouth to argue. He turned to me, saw my surcoat and bells, and stared for a bit before he noticed that I was also holding out my passport.

1/1/2011 #270
« Prev Page 1 .. 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Fishy Biscuits Sanaryelle
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member