The Store Next Door
The new version of The Shoppe, now affectionatly known as 'Sneed.' Home to the Old Kingdom RP that keeps Sanaryelle and Fishy Biscuits awake till Charter-knows-what time in the morning!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Fishy Biscuits

Continued from The Shoppe: http://forum.fanfiction.net/topic/66557/20084728/1/

11/5/2010 #1
Sanaryelle

Continued from "The Perimeter", page 2.

Cariel-

I got out of the car, and was taken to a gloomy-looking building made of stone. The soldiers accompanying me spoke quietly to a woman behind a desk, and she rang someone on one of those telephone things. I waited, and then I was ushered through several doors and down several halls to an office. The Wyverley Chief of Police was waiting - I had seen him late last night and early this morning, when they had been taking down my confession. "Abhorsen," he said courteously. "They say you didn't give any trouble on your way over."

I shook my head silently.

"As you know, the trial won't start for some time," said the Chief. "Lawyers need time to gather evidence. Until then, you will stay in a holding cell. Every day you will be taken outside for some exercise and fresh air - depending on good behaviour. You will be given food, books, anything you ask for within reason."

"Can I write a letter?" I asked quietly.

The Chief nodded. "Of course. I will have writing materials brought to your cell, and I will post it myself when I leave tonight."

"It's a letter to the Old Kingdom."

The Chief blinked. "I have some connections," he admitted. "Merchants, mostly. They can see that your letter is delivered safely."

"Thank you," I said gratefully. After a few more minutes of smalltalk, two uniformed men took me to my cell. A woman searched me, and I changed into the clothes they provided: a rather boring set of grey shirt and trousers. They put my clothes and belongings in a box - but I asked if I could keep Raylinn's ribbon, and my request was granted. The cell was actually larger than I had expected. It had a bed, a set of shelves, a sink and mirror, and a toilet behind a curtain. Three of the walls were of the same tired stone as the rest of the building, and the cell was fronted by bars. There were a couple other cells in the room, but they were unoccupied. Near the door of the room a uniformed man sat at a desk with a phone. He was very polite, waiting as I wrote my letter, then having it sent to the Chief.

The lights were turned off and I settled myself under the scratchy blankets. The guard - George - had told me that it was all right if I cried, and not to feel bad about it. Most people cried during their first night in a cell, he'd said. I bit my lip and stared at the wall. My letter would ensure that Sorienne and Mawbor were thrown out of the Royal Guard. I didn't know if the King would grant my request to burn the Charter marks from their foreheads, but one could always hope. Raylinn's ribbon was wrapped tight around my hand, and I could feel the star charm pressing against my palm as I clenched my fist. I hoped she was all right, and wasn't worrying about me.

"No regrets," I whispered steadily. I did not cry that night.

11/25/2010 . Edited 11/26/2010 #2
Sanaryelle

Cariel-

I was reading the letter from Raylinn for about the hundredth time. In a jail cell there really wasn't much to do. The Chief had offered to bring me books, but I had been rather listless about the whole thing, so he and the guards had decided to leave me alone for now.

I finished reading the letter, and smiled. Raylinn had sent it the morning after we'd parted. She and Oliver were all right, and they were going to return to the Old Kingdom together. And, she had written that finding Nate's killer would be their top priority. I sighed, bowing my head. If Raylinn had Oliver with her I wasn't too worried. Those two would look out for each other, and they'd be all right as long as they didn't do something completely reckless or stupid. Wait - who was I kidding? This was Raylinn and Oliver.

To distract myself from these sobering thoughts, I looked back at the letter. Near the end of it, Raylinn had written that she loved me. It was so unlike her. We had never been affectionate, except when Raylinn was very young before I'd considered her a brat, or maybe during those terrible days shut away with Tarael under the House. But to have it written, openly in a letter, after so much had happened between us...

Maybe I was making a big deal out of nothing. But I was in a cell, dammit. I would take comfort wherever I could get it.

12/1/2010 #3
Sanaryelle

Orien-

I stumbled out of the taxi, blinking, and stifled a groan as Yvanna sorted out the fare. My caffeine high was gone, and now I was in the process of crashing and burning.

"Don't let me do that again," I muttered to Yvanna. I turned to the cab driver, feeling I owed him some sort of apology for my stupid behaviour. "I'm sorry I almost said that your hat looks like a dead animal is lying on your head."

12/1/2010 . Edited 12/1/2010 #4
Fishy Biscuits

~Yvanna~

The taxi driver gave her a look that clearly said that he thought she was still high, but didn't say anything. I had to resist the urge to bang my head against the side of the taxi.

I paid the driver the fare, and he drove away. Then, I turned to Orien - from the look of her, it seemed like the coffee had worn off. I made a mental note to not let her near coffee again for quite a while.

'So,' I said, looking around at the quiet streets of Wyverley. 'Where do you want to go first?'

12/1/2010 #5
Sanaryelle

Orien-

"I don't know," I said, looking around dazedly and feeling quite awful. "How about somewhere we can get out of this really bright sun?"

12/1/2010 #6
Fishy Biscuits

~Yvanna~

'Well,' I said. 'The shops have only just opened, so they'll be nice and quiet. Do you want to start dress-shopping now? Or shall we go looking for chocolates?'

12/1/2010 #7
Sanaryelle

Orien-

"If we get chocolates now, we'll just have to carry them around," I reasoned, but I didn't feel like trying on dresses either. "How about man-shopping?" I asked innocently. "There's a likely-looking bookstore right over there..."

12/1/2010 #8
Fishy Biscuits

~Yvanna~

'It's empty,' I replied, glancing briefly at the shop she had indicated. 'Except for that woman, anyway.'

12/1/2010 #9
Sanaryelle

Orien-

"Dammit..." I grumbled, before remembering that I was supposed to be a respectable young woman who didn't use coarse language. It was hard to remember these things when I was feeling this grouchy. "Fine, let's go dress-shopping," I sighed in defeat. "Not that there'll be a lot of eligible men in dress-stores," I muttered.

12/1/2010 #10
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: Btw, what sort of time period is this? Like, 20s/40s/60s etc?)

~Yvanna~

I beamed triumphantly, and looked around for a suitable shop. I spotted one pretty quickly and pointed to it.

'That's a good one,' I said, making my way towards it. 'I think Andrea mentioned it a while back.'

12/1/2010 #11
Sanaryelle

(OOC: Well, Nix's Ancelstierre is the 20s, I think... or is it the 40s? Bobbed hair and WWI-flavoured trenches make me think teens or 20s. And does Ancelstierre evolve at the same speed as our history? Or, like the Old Kingdom, is it stuck in one time period? Guh...)

Orien-

"Oh, Andrea," I said, rolling my eyes. "Because her last fashion decision concerning me went so well. Honestly, how was I supposed to fight Free Magic creatures in a dress like that?"

12/1/2010 #12
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: I don't think it's stuck like the Old Kingdom, so I'd be inclined to think that it was similar to our history. But I can't remember how many years after the books our RP is set. :P)

~Yvanna~

'You were't intending to fight... whatever those things were,' I reminded her. 'You were going to the Winter Dance, and the dress she picked out for you was very appropriate for that. And I highly doubt that a school orchestra recital will turn into another strange fight.'

12/1/2010 #13
Sanaryelle

(OOC: Well, if Lirael is Raylinn's grandmother then Sabriel was three generations before, so that'd be about sixty years, making this... the 80s. Oh my god...)

Orien-

"You never know," I said as we entered the dress shop. A smiling lady with two much makeup hurried over to greet us. I decided to leave most of the talking to Yvanna.

12/1/2010 #14
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: lol! Okay then! *looks up 80s fashion*)

~Yvanna~

'Hello!' the woman said, giving us both a big grin. 'Can I help you? Or were you just wanting to browse?'

'We're looking for something that would be suitable for her -' I gestured to Orien '- to wear to an orchestra concert next weekend,' I explained.

The woman continued to smile, and indicated for us to follow her. 'I think I know just what sort of thing you're after,' she said as she walked. I glanced at Orien and smirked.

12/1/2010 #15
Sanaryelle

(OOC: It's hideous. I think Orien should go for something more classic - or rather, Yvanna should.)

Orien-

I stared at the rows and rows of bright polyester, ruffles, frills, bows, and puffed sleeves.

"Yvanna," I whispered so that he woman couldn't hear me. "I'm not wearing any of this."

12/1/2010 #16
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: So I see! XD)

~Yvanna~

I tilted my head to one side and looked at all the brightly coloured dresses. Orien didn't strike me as the sort of person who could pull off that sort of thing.

'Have you got anything more... neutral?' I asked the saleswoman. 'A bit more understated?'

The woman thought for a moment, then nodded. 'Not many, I'm afraid, but we do have some.' Orien and I followed her as she led the way again.

12/1/2010 #17
Sanaryelle

(OOC: Some of their evening wear wasn't bad. Cocktail dresses, etc. They liked satin - shiny!)

Orien-

We ended up somewhere near the back of the room, where I supposed the less-bold ventured. "Cocktail dress or gown?" asked the saleswoman. I just stared at her; I had no idea.

12/1/2010 #18
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: Oooh... Shiny... O_O)

~Yvanna~

I looked at Orien, trying to visualise her in both types of dress. 'How about we have a look at both?' I suggested.

The woman nodded, and began to pick out some of the dresses so we could see them properly.

12/1/2010 #19
Sanaryelle

Orien-

I stared. At least the colours of these dresses didn't hurt my eyes, but that was the only thing I liked about them. They were too... frilly.

"Do you have anything a bit more... classic?" said Yvanna.

The woman actually looked a bit offended. "We pride ourselves on having the latest fashions in here," she replied.

I looked around the store. "Yeah, well, the latest fashions stink," I muttered.

12/1/2010 #20
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: Btw, pinch punch, first of the month. :P)

~Yvanna~

I nudged Orien in the ribs; we didn't want to offend anyone this early in the morning. I looked at the selection of dresses again, and pointed to one of the less-frilly ones.

'That one looks okay,' I said. If Orien at least tried one of these dresses on, it might make the woman less offended. 'What do you think, Orien?'

12/1/2010 #21
Sanaryelle

(OOC: ...what was that? 0_o)

(OOC: I actually searched "1980s evening dress" on Google image, and some of them aren't that bad.)

Orien-

I looked at it. It had half-length sleeves, and enormous shoulders. "I think it looks like I'm going to play hockey for Wyverley."

"All right - out!" the woman said. I didn't argue with her.

12/1/2010 #22
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: You've never done the 'pinch, punch' routine??? O_O)

~Yvanna~

I rolled my eyes and left the shop, Orien following close behind.

'Can you please try not to offend anyone else today?' I asked once we got outside. 'Yes, I'll admit those dresses weren't exactly nice, but you could still have been polite.'

12/1/2010 #23
Sanaryelle

(OOC: Er... no?)

(OOC: How about this, but green; it's 80s enough without being too 80s:

Orien-

"I was just being honest," I said as we walked down the road. "Telling that woman that her dresses are lovely would be doing the rest of the female population a disservice. And you wonder why I dress like a widow."

12/1/2010 #24
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: Seriously?? You've been missing out! Basically, every time it's the first day of the month, you go around to as many people as possible before midday, saying 'pinch, punch, first of the month' with the appropriate actions - ie, pinching and punching. :P I'm sure it's ot just a UK thing...)

(OOC: I like that! Can I have one in blue...? :P)

~Yvanna~

'You didn't have to say they were lovely,' I protested. 'But you didn't have to be rude about them either. Just nod and smile next time, okay? Otherwise we'll never get you anything, and you'll have to borrow one of Andrea's again.'

12/1/2010 #25
Sanaryelle

(OOC: Well, it's definitly not a Vancouver thing. I'd get some pretty weird looks if I went around doing that. ^_^)

(OOC: I want mine in dark red!)

Orien-

"Andrea's not going to let me borrow one of hers," I pointed out. "Not after what happened next time. But Yvanna, I'm not trying on anything just to make people happy, all right? I'll not and smile, but I'm not putting that stuff on. It's too early for me to bother."

12/1/2010 . Edited 12/1/2010 #26
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: And what's wrong with getting weird looks? :P)

~Yvanna~

'Okay,' I said, deciding that that was better than nothing. I noticed another, more promising-looking shop and started leading Orien towards it. 'But if you find something you like, you will try it on, won't you?'

12/1/2010 #27
Sanaryelle

(OOC: I already get them anyway. ^_^)

Orien-

"Yes, yes," I said, just to get Yvanna off my case. We entered a different store, and I immediately noticed that the clothes here were more... elegant. "Yvanna?" I said, looking around nervously. "I'm not going to break the bank here, am I?"

12/1/2010 #28
Fishy Biscuits

(OOC: Same! XD)

~Yvanna~

I checked the price label on the nearest dress. 'Well, they're not exactly cheap,' I admitted. 'But they're not too bad. See anything you like?'

12/1/2010 #29
Sanaryelle

(OOC: Does this have anything to do with public handbell ringing?)

Orien-

I don't know," I said, looking around doubtfully. Several of the gowns had only a single strap. I supposed that was the new fashion for evening wear, but I'd feel too... exposed in something like that.

A woman wearing just the right amount of makeup approached us with a friendly smile. "Good morning. Can I help you find anything?" I liked her approach much better than the other lady's.

12/1/2010 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Fishy Biscuits Sanaryelle
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member