The Store Next Door
The new version of The Shoppe, now affectionatly known as 'Sneed.' Home to the Old Kingdom RP that keeps Sanaryelle and Fishy Biscuits awake till Charter-knows-what time in the morning!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 16 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 36 .. Last Next »
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

'I sincerely doubt that,' I replied smoothly. 'He was an Ancelstierran, wasn't he? We wouldn't have been involved at all.' I looked down at Raylinn. I still had my foot resting on her side. She had her eyes closed again, and her breathing was noticeably shaky. 'Tell me, Tindall. Do they still have the death penalty in Ancelstierre? Or is she just going to rot in a prison cell somewhere?'

11/14/2010 #751
Sanaryelle

Oliver-

Sorienne's question stirred something in my mind; so far I'd been worried about Raylinn's possible imprisonment, and I hadn't given a thought to my own impending court-martial. The death penalty for civil cases had been abolished twenty years ago - but not for martial law. And considering what I'd done...

"Shut up," I snarled at Sorienne, pushing these thoughts away - it wasn't time to think of that. "You're so concerned about Ancelstierran law - Raylinn hasn't even been tried or convicted yet, so legally speaking she isn't a murderer."

11/14/2010 . Edited 11/14/2010 #752
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

'She murdered someone,' I retorted. 'She's admitted to it and everything. It doesn't matter whether she's been tried or convicted. It's only a matter of time before she is.'

11/14/2010 #753
Sanaryelle

Oliver-

I shook my head in disbelief. "You only follow the rules when it suits you," I scoffed. "Now if that isn't the most hypocritical-"

Mawbor punched me in the jaw, and I sagged against Lorn who was still holding my arms.

11/14/2010 #754
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

'I think you'll find that we have followed the rules completely,' I said cooly. 'Everything we have done has been authorised, either by the previous Abhorsen, the Lieutenant, or myself.'

11/14/2010 #755
Sanaryelle

Oliver-

"Yeah, well, I think the Royal Guard needs to work a bit on the structure of their chain of command," I muttered, working my jaw - it wasn't broken, thank goodness.

11/14/2010 #756
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

'Don't worry, Tindall,' I replied. 'I'm only in charge until a new Lieutenant is sent from Belisaere. And by that time, our part in this will be over. You know,' I said, looking down at the pathetic girl again. 'It's a shame she isn't being tried here. She'd be dead within a week. We've got her confession, so the trial wouldn't take long. She'd hang as soon as the scaffold was ready. Although,' I added, with a slight smirk, 'maybe it isn't a shame. She's so young at the moment, so spending the rest of her life in a prison cell really would be a long time, wouldn't it.'

11/14/2010 . Edited 11/14/2010 #757
Sanaryelle

Mawbor-

"Hey, that reminds me, Tindall," I said, turning back to the prisoner, "she's sixteen, right? And how old are you?"

He ignored me. I frowned and gripped my dagger tighter. "We represent the law here, Tindall," I growled. "And we wouldn't want to suspect anything... inappropriate going on, would we?"

Tindall flushed. "Piss off," he murmured.

11/14/2010 #758
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

I grinned and leaned down to Raylinn, my boot pressing a little more on her shattered ribs. 'Don't you think he's a bit too old for you?' I asked, copying Mawbor's choice of topic. She didn't respond. I wondered if she was even still conscious. With her eyes closed, it was rather difficult to tell.

11/14/2010 #759
Sanaryelle

Oliver-

"Go on, Tindall," said Mawbor, now grinning, He prodded my chest with that dratted dagger of his. "How old are you? How old?"

"I'm a hundred and ninety-seven," I said sarcastically, and felt that familiar tingling on my face. The guards laughed, and I closed my eyes; I'd forgotten about that.

11/14/2010 #760
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

'I suppose you're pleased that they don't have the death penalty in Ancelstierre, aren't you?' I said, tilting my head to one side to watch Tindall's reaction. 'I mean, we all saw what you were like when she died a few moments ago. I'd hate to see what you'd be like if it were permanent.'

11/14/2010 #761
Sanaryelle

Mawbor-

Tindall hung his head. I glanced at Sorienne, grinning. They always stopped being defiant at some point. It just took time, and a weak spot.

11/14/2010 #762
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

I walked away from Raylinn, towards Tindall. 'You're not crying are you?' I asked, smirking. I couldn't tell, because I couldn't quite see his face, but it would be absolutely priceless if he was...

11/14/2010 #763
Sanaryelle

Oliver-

I closed my eyes and didn't answer. I felt my ears burning in shame, but when Sorienne mentioned Raylinn's death it was like someone flipped a switch. Raylinn wishing for death... Raylinn having to undergo this torment... and all with the prospect of a dingy cell for the rest of her life. It was too much to bear, and I was helpless to stop it.

I felt someone grab my chin, and I tried to jerk my head away.

11/14/2010 #764
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

'I think he's about to cry,' I said triumphantly, grinning at Mawbor and Lorn. 'How very, very touching.' I glanced over at Raylinn. She seemed to be unconscious, which was annoying. It would have been so much better if she could see this.

11/14/2010 #765
Sanaryelle

Mawbor-

I pushed up Tindall's chin, lifting his head, and placed the edge of my dagger under his jaw for good measure. He didn't open his eyes or change his expression in any way, but from beneath his eyelids a few teardrops began to fall.

I let go of his chin and pounded the ground, laughing. "And we have a cryer!"

11/14/2010 #766
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

'What do you think she'd say if she knew the way you felt about her?' I asked, grinning broadly. 'Surely she wouldn't want another grown man lusting after her, would she?'

11/14/2010 #767
Sanaryelle

Oliver-

Sorienne's words made me feel physically ill. I kept my eyes closed, still unable to stop the steady flow of tears trickling down my bruised face.

"I think he's close to breaking," I heard Mawbor whisper gleefully. I tried to think up a scathing retort, but couldn't come up with anything.

11/14/2010 . Edited 11/14/2010 #768
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

'I think so too,' I agreed. 'It's about time. Remember how easy it was to break Raylinn, Mawbor?' I asked, grinning at him. 'Too easy if you ask me.'

11/14/2010 #769
Sanaryelle

Mawbor-

I laughed at the memory, and Tindall flinched. He still wasn't opening his eyes.

"Don't you two... ever get tired of talking?" he said quietly, but it lacked his usual insolence, and there was a definite tremor in his voice.

11/14/2010 #770
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

'No,' I said. 'Not when it's having this much effect on you. Hey, Mawbor, when the girl comes round, I think we should tell her how Tindall feels about her, don't you?'

11/14/2010 #771
Sanaryelle

Mawbor-

At that, Tindall did open his eyes, but there was a gleam in them that I couldn't identify. "I already told her," he said, and there was a trace of smugness in his voice.

11/14/2010 #772
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

'You told her?' I asked, so surprised by this that I didn't remember to hide my reaction. 'How did she take it? Did she slap you?'

11/14/2010 #773
Sanaryelle

Oliver-

I grinned; this was the first time I'd seen Sorienne react like this. "As I said before - none of your business."

11/14/2010 #774
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

'Well,' I said, regaining my usual composure. 'It's too bad you won't be able to be together, isn't it? I would tell you to enjoy your last few hours with her, but I suppose you can't, with her in the state she's in.'

11/14/2010 #775
Sanaryelle

Mawbor-

Tindall said nothing, but just glanced anxiously at Raylinn's prone form.

I growled and cracked my knuckles. "Maybe you can join her in sleep instead." I nodded at Lorn, who propped Tindall up, and then swung. My fist made a satisfying sound as it connected with Tindall's head. Lorn released him, and he sprawled on the ground. I cocked my head to the side; he really did make a pitiful picture, covered in bruises, both of his boots off, and blood still sluggishly dripping from one foot.

11/14/2010 #776
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

I looked down at the two of them, and smiled.

'You know what?' I said, suddenly trying to stifle a yawn. 'I think we should tie these two up and get ourselves a bit of sleep. We're going to have to be leaving in a few hours, I imagine.'

11/14/2010 #777
Sanaryelle

Mawbor-

"Agreed," I said, walking over to where Sorienne had dropped Tindall's bonds. Soon the two prisoners were trussed up, and Sorienne, Lorn and I made makeshift beds out of packing straw we found in some of the crates.

11/14/2010 #778
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

'So,' I said, yawning again. 'Who wants to take which one of them in the morning?'

11/14/2010 #779
Sanaryelle

Mawbor-

"Doesn't matter," I shrugged. "I guess we'll be taking the carts? If they didn't burn..."

"They didn't," said Lorn. "I saw 'em by the trees out back. The horses are all fine, too."

"And we'll need another driver," I said darkly. "I don't trust that Odette."

11/14/2010 #780
« Prev Page 1 .. 16 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 36 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Fishy Biscuits Sanaryelle
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member