The Store Next Door
The new version of The Shoppe, now affectionatly known as 'Sneed.' Home to the Old Kingdom RP that keeps Sanaryelle and Fishy Biscuits awake till Charter-knows-what time in the morning!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 .. Last Next »
Fishy Biscuits

A middle-sized town on the eastern coast of the Old Kingdom. Has quite a busy port.

1/30/2011 #1
Sanaryelle

Iselli-

We had managed to reach Callibe before dark, and had checked into an inn for the night. Bright and early in the morning Vynn dragged me out of bed and down to the port. We walked up and down the docks, looking at the ships and the merchants. Whenever I asked Vynn about her vision, she changed the subject. She would only say that she had Seen Callibe, and that we would meet 'her' here. The young ranger was acting quite strange, but I very well knew what the Sight could be like, and didn't pry. When she was ready to tell me about her vision, she would. Or she wouldn't - it was up to her.

At the end of the day, nothing had happened - unless you counted a netful of shrimp emptying almost on top of us. We'd bought lunch from the food vendors by the docks, and alternated between walking along the shore and sitting on crates. Vynn kept looking around, but she wouldn't tell me what for. Dinner was a hurried affair; we were both exhausted from our 'search' that entire day.

"You're not going to tell me what that was about, are you," I said resignedly as we got ready for bed.

Vynn shook her head. "We're going again tomorrow. At dawn. And we'll go every day, until..." She didn't say anything else.

1/30/2011 #2
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

I reached Callibe late the following day, and my horse was pretty nackered. Not that it mattered; I had planned to sell it here anyway. I wouldn't need it in Belisaere. I soon found an inn that was close to the port, and booked a room for the night - using the name 'Vanelle' again. My horse was led away to the stables by a boy, and I sat down at a table in the inn's dining area and ordered a meal and a mug of hot cider.

1/30/2011 #3
Sanaryelle

Vynn-

Our second morning at Callibe, I dragged Iselli bright and early to the docks again, even before they had opened the kitchens for breakfast. Iselli was rather grumpy as we bought some food from a vendor's cart. At least she had stopped asking questions. I didn't think I could bear telling her that I'd Seen the ports during a sunny winter's day. That I'd Seen myself, on the docks. That I'd Seen another woman, and that she had - well, the less I thought about it, the better.

Even though it was so early, the docks were already quite busy. We walked up and down, and Iselli was silent as I scanned the crowd for that figure I'd Seen in my vision - a woman.

1/30/2011 #4
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

In the morning, after breakfast, I headed down towards the docks to see about passage to Belisaere. I became a little wary when I saw one of the Royal Guards' boats, but none of the men and women boarding the ship noticed me any more than they noticed anyone else. I decided to risk it, and asked one of the red-and-gold-clad men where they were headed.

'To Belisaere, Miss,' he replied. 'We got in yesterday from Nestowe.'

I smiled and looked relieved. 'Would you, by any chance, be able to take me with you?' I asked. 'I can pay you. It's just… I need to get to Belisaere as soon as possible.'

'Why?' the guard asked.

I lowered my voice. 'I have evidence,' I explained, 'about a crime that was committed a few days ago, in Aelford.'

The guard looked at me sharply. 'The murder?' he asked, almost whispering. 'The one involving the Abhorsen?'

I nodded, secretly pleased that news of the murder had spread so fast, and put on a scared-sounding voice. 'Yes. And I really need to get this evidence to the King quickly. If the Abhorsen were to find out that I have it… Well, you can probably imagine.'

The guard nodded slowly. 'You need safe passage, you mean?' I nodded and the man looked thoughtful, then reached out with two fingers to touch the Charter mark on my forehead. It was, of course, unsullied, and he nodded in satisfaction. 'I'll see what I can do for you.'

'Thank you, sir,' I said, and followed him to the ship. He spoke with another man - the leader of this group of guards, I assumed - and then beckoned to me. I had to answer basically the same questions as before, and then the Lieutenant nodded.

'I reckon we can get you there safely, Miss...'

'I'm going by the name Vanelle,' I supplied. I lowered my voice and added, 'It is a false name, but I'd prefer to keep my identity secret. If the Abhorsen were to find out that I have this evidence-'

'I understand,' the Lieutenant said, nodding. 'Do not worry. We will give you every protection we can.' Then he raised his voice back to its normal volume. 'This way, please, Miss Vanelle. After you.' He gestured towards the ship.

1/30/2011 #5
Sanaryelle

Vynn-

Iselli and I were headed down the docks, when my eyes were drawn towards a Royal Guard's boat. And in the crowd boarding it, surrounded by red and gold-clad guards, was that woman. "It's her," I breathed.

Beside me, Iselli turned to me. "What? Who?"

I ignored her. She was getting on the boat - there was something I had to do, to prevent all this. Even despite what I had Seen two days ago. Perhaps it was only a possible future, I told myself - although I didn't really believe that. Not for a second.

I reached the group of Royal Guards, and started to push my way towards the woman. There were several angry exclamations, but I ignored them.

1/30/2011 . Edited 1/30/2011 #6
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

I glanced behind me as several of the guards started shouting. For a moment, I was worried that they might have realised who I was - but then I saw the blonde woman trying to push her way through towards the ship. One of the Clayr, I realised - and there was another one behind her. There could only be one reason why this Clayr was trying so hard to get past all those guards, but I made myself appear only a little worried. I turned to a guard who was standing nearby.

'What's going on?' I asked, with a nervous glance back at the Clayr.

'Don't worry, Miss,' the man said. 'Just get on board. We'll have this sorted soon.'

'If -' I said, making myself sound as nervous as possible. 'What if the Abhorsen's asked her to find me? Because of this evidence?'

The guard beckoned for one of his collegues, who was already on board the ship, to come over. 'Make sure she's safe,' he said, then gestured for me to carry on boarding the ship. I gave him a grateful nod and followed the other guard on board.

1/30/2011 #7
Sanaryelle

Vynn-

A Royal Guard planted himself in front of me. "What do you want?"

I was staring at the woman as she boarded the ship. "That woman -"

"Is under protection of the Guard," the man said firmly - a Lieutenant, I noticed.

Iselli tugged at my elbow. "Vynn? What are you doing?"

I ignored her. I ignored the guard. "You're not going to let me by?" I said grimly. She couldn't get to Belisaere... she just couldn't...

"That's right," said the guard. "You may think you're pretty important, but just because you're the Clayr doesn't mean you can go after anyone you please."

I looked at him for a moment, then reached up and gave him a hard shove. He overbalanced and fell of the gangway, into the water below. There was instant pandemonium as I drew my sword and started to run up the gangway, towards the woman.

1/30/2011 . Edited 1/30/2011 #8
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

'Get back!' shouted another guard, pushing me further onto the ship and leaping in front of me, drawing her sword. I retreated to the other side of the ship, like I'd been told to, and just watched with interest - though I made myself look afraid.

The Clayr was trying hard to get on board the ship, and several guards had gathered around her, both on and off the ship. I couldn't exactly see what was happening, but I was pretty sure that the Clayr woman wasn't going to win this fight. There were too many guards for her to take on by herself.

1/30/2011 #9
Sanaryelle

Iselli-

I couldn't really see what was going on, but I could hear clashing swords, and see wre frequent flashes of battle magic. Vynn was managing to fight her way up the gangway only because it was so narrow, and she had to fight at most two guards at a time. But when she reached the ship - when she got into an open space -

I backed up and closed my eyes. I wasn't as powerful a Charter Mage as the Abhorsen, or the Royal Family, but I'd been a Ranger in my time, and I still knew a few tricks.

The spell formed in my hands as a ball of pink light, and I lobbed it up, over Vynn's head, and into the ship. There was a flash, and several guards toppled over, stunned. Now hopefully the way between Vynn and whatever she was after was mostly clear. If I didn't know Vynn, I'd say that she'd suddenly gone crazy, but she had Seen something I hadn't, and I trusted her.

1/30/2011 #10
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

I hadn't expected the other Clayr to get involved as well, and I made sure to back away instead of drawing my sword as the short-haired Clayr finally made it onto the ship and started for me.

'Hey! You!' one of the other guards shouted, running forwards from where he'd been checking a few official-looking documents. He'd drawn his sword too, as had several other guards. I really wanted to get involved in this fight too, but I had to remember who I was pretending to be.

One of the guards lightly touched my arm. 'Get in there,' she said, pointing down some wooden stairs to what I assumed was a cabin of some sorts. 'You'll be safe in there.'

I nodded and started to head down the steps, pausing once or twice to look over my shoulder. I'd have to be ready to break into a run if that Clayr managed to get past the new wave of guards.

1/30/2011 #11
Sanaryelle

Vynn-

I was panting as I looked at the row of Guards who were lined up between me ad my prey. As a Ranger I'd fought many Free Magic creatures, and Free Magic sorcerers too. Fighting Charter Mages was something else. So far I'd managed not to kill anybody, and I didn't want to, but they weren't exactly giving me a lot of options.

I stopped a couple swords-lengths away from the Guards. "Oi! Sorienne!" I shouted at the woman. She paused. "Do you know who she is?" I sneered at the Guards.

1/30/2011 #12
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

I looked back at the Clayr for a second, then carried on walking down the steps. I wondered how she had known who I was - but I wasn't about to let that show. The story I had planned out in my head involved my new persona being an acquaintance of my old self, so if the guards asked me why I had paused, I had a reasonable explaination.

1/30/2011 #13
Sanaryelle

Vynn-

The woman kept walking, and the Guards didn't bite. "We don't care," said one of them levelly, keeping her sword up. "I suggest you get off this boat - now."

There was no way I could get past them untouched. There was no way I could keep from hurting them if I tried. But that woman could not go to Belisaere. And the stunned guards lying on the deck were beginning to stir.

When I reached the stairs, the guards lay wounded on the ground, and I had an arm - the one that wasn't useless - pressed against my stomach to keep my insides from spilling out. I staggered down the stairs. I couldn't hold my sword, but I still had a knife...

1/30/2011 #14
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

I was pleased that the guards hadn't taken the bait when that Clayr had called my real name. I hadn't seen much of the fight, but I'd heard enough to guess that there had been injuries on both sides - well, to the guards and that one Clayr.

I heard footsteps on the stairs behind me, and I whirled around, drawing my sword. That Clayr was standing at the top of the steps, clearly bleeding heavily. I was careful not to let her know that she was right about my true identity.

'What do you want?' I asked, keeping up the scared tone of voice.

1/30/2011 #15
Sanaryelle

Vynn-

I didn't answer her question. I was in too much pain for that.

"I Saw you," I said, continuing slowly down the stairs. My arm pressed against my stomach was wet with blood. My other hand held the knife. It wasn't much to her sword, but I'd have to try. "I Saw you, here, on the dock," I continued, not caring if she understood or not. "I Saw myself following you. I Saw something else - but, maybe it won't come to pass."

1/30/2011 #16
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

'I don't understand,' I said, taking a step backwards, still keeping up the pretence of being afraid. 'What do you want with me?'

1/30/2011 #17
Sanaryelle

Vynn-

"You're planning something," I said, finally reaching the bottom of the stairs. I leaned against the wall. "I don't really know what it is, but I can't let you do it."

1/30/2011 . Edited 1/30/2011 #18
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

I blinked. 'I'm planning on giving evidence to the King,' I said. 'Why can't you let me do that?'

1/30/2011 #19
Sanaryelle

Vynn-

"Evidence?" I said, frowning. "What evidence?" I pushed myself off the wall, and managed to stand more or less upright.

1/30/2011 #20
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

'A diary,' I replied. 'It contains valuable evidence, and I must take it straight to the King. It's important.'

1/30/2011 #21
Sanaryelle

Vynn-

"A diary?" I repeated, confused. Iselli would probably know what Sorienne was talking about, but I didn't. I shook my head. "Doesn't matter. I can't let you do it." I managed to take a step forward, flexing my hand on the handle of the knife.

1/30/2011 #22
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

'Why not?' I asked, taking another step backwards. I was almost right up against the door now, but that didn't matter. If I needed to, I could easily finish this Clayr off. 'Why can't you let me?'

1/30/2011 #23
Sanaryelle

Vynn-

"Because she's already been through enough," I said, stepping forward again. I coughed suddenly, and felt blood trickling onto my chin.

1/30/2011 #24
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

'But, since she's guilty,' I said, 'then surely I'm doing the right thing. Aren't I?'

1/30/2011 #25
Sanaryelle

Vynn-

"No," I coughed, managing to take another step forward. "The Abhorsen has no past. She just is. That is the only way that she can defend the Kingdom. And it's little, bitter, vengeful people like you that get in the way." I lunged forward, thrusting my dagger at her stomach.

1/30/2011 #26
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

I hadn't been expecting that, and I only just managed to block her knife with my sword. 'But she isn't above the law,' I pointed out, making myself sound even more afraid. 'She murdered someone. She can't be allowed to get away with it.'

1/30/2011 #27
Sanaryelle

Vynn-

"What do we care for an Ancelstierran barfly?" I sneered.

1/30/2011 #28
Fishy Biscuits

~Sorienne~

'I wasn't meaning that murder,' I said. 'I meant the other one. The one in Aelford.'

1/30/2011 #29
Sanaryelle

Vynn-

"Don't play innocent," I said, grinning. "The Clayr suspect you, Sorienne."

1/30/2011 #30
Page 1 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Fishy Biscuits Sanaryelle
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member