The Store Next Door
The new version of The Shoppe, now affectionatly known as 'Sneed.' Home to the Old Kingdom RP that keeps Sanaryelle and Fishy Biscuits awake till Charter-knows-what time in the morning!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 .. Last Next »
Sanaryelle

Elandri-

I gave Aedyn a kiss, and then slid out of bed. I grabbed my nightgown from the floor and put it back on. "You may come in," I said.

The door opened, and three attendants came in - two for me, and one for Aedyn.

1/4/2012 #331
Fishy Biscuits

~Aedyn~

I stifled a sigh. I had almost forgotten that someone would help me to get dressed now.

1/4/2012 #332
Sanaryelle

Elandri-

Aedyn's attendants went into the dressing room, and came out with clothes over both arms. "I have a few outfits for you to choose from, Majesty," he said, bowing. I shot Aedyn a grin, and then allowed Ryah and Peleine to usher me into the dressing room.

1/4/2012 #333
Fishy Biscuits

~Aedyn~

I stifled another sigh as I looked over the choice of outfits. Why couldn't I just wear my uniform or something? I eventually agreed to wear the simplest of the outfits - which was still too elaborate for my taste - and then had the strange experience of having someone helping me dress. I really didn't see why it was necessary.

1/4/2012 #334
Sanaryelle

Elandri-

I chose an olive green dress with flowing white sleeves, and Ryah and Peleine helped me get ready. They expertly took care of my hair and jewellery, and set the coronet on my head.

"Your food is waiting in the breakfast room, Majesty," said Ryah, curtseying.

I nodded and returned to the bedroom, and smiled at Aedyn. The attendant was straightening his tunic while Aedyn buckled on his sword.

1/4/2012 #335
Fishy Biscuits

~Aedyn~

I smiled back at Elandri, and wondered why she looked far more sensible in elaborate clothes than I ever would.

1/4/2012 #336
Sanaryelle

Elandri-

I read Aedyn's expression. "You look fine," I said.

1/4/2012 #337
Fishy Biscuits

~Aedyn~

'If you say so,' I replied with a wry smile. The attendant finally finished, and he bowed to me before retreating. I was still getting used to people doing things like that.

1/4/2012 #338
Sanaryelle

Elandri-

I took Aedyn's hand. "Breakfast?"

1/4/2012 #339
Fishy Biscuits

~Aedyn~

'Sounds like a good plan,' I said, smiling as we walked through to the breakfast room.

1/4/2012 #340
Sanaryelle

Elandri-

We had to hurry a bit through breakfast, because of the Council Meeting - but the good thing about being Queen was that you were never late.

1/4/2012 #341
Fishy Biscuits

~Aedyn~

'So, what exactly will I have to do at this meeting?' I asked, as we walked along the corridor to the room where the meeting would be held.

1/4/2012 #342
Sanaryelle

Elandri-

"Not much," I said. "The Councillors bring up issues that need to be discussed, and they may appeal to us for a decision."

1/4/2012 #343
Fishy Biscuits

~Aedyn~

I nodded. 'All right.'

1/4/2012 #344
Sanaryelle

Elandri-

"So far, the main issues are trade with Ancelstierre, the aqueducts in Yanyl, and rounding up and sentencing Gregior's supporters," I said. Aedyn nodded, and we came to the door of the meeting room. The guards outside opened the doors, and there was a clatter as all of the Councillors stood upon my entrance. I smiled at them and walked around to the head of the table. I noticed another empty chair at my right hand, which was more ornate than the Councillors' chairs, but less ornate than mine.

1/4/2012 #345
Fishy Biscuits

~Aedyn~

I guessed that the seat to Elandri's right was mine, so I went to it. I recognised several of the Councillors, but I couldn't quite remember who they actually were.

1/4/2012 #346
Sanaryelle

Elandri-

At my left, the Chancellor and Iselli smiled at me. I reminded myself to ask the Chancellor after the meeting about whether or not he had seen Drystan.

"Good morning," I said as I sat down. The Councillors murmured replies. "What is on the agenda today?" I asked.

The Chancellor referred to a paper in front of him. "First is the budget for the Yanyl aqueducts project," he said. "Then some new issues that have cropped up concerning Gregior's previous reign. And Lady Nyma and Lord Dillon have requested to speak."

1/4/2012 #347
Fishy Biscuits

~Aedyn~

I listened to the Chancellor whilst surruptitiously glancing around at all the Councillors so that I could hopefully make a start on knowing who they were.

1/4/2012 #348
Sanaryelle

Elandri-

I nodded. "Let's get started."

"First of all, Majesty," said Lord Branor, "may we congratulate you and Prince Aedyn on your wedding?"

I smiled as the Councillors applauded.

1/4/2012 #349
Fishy Biscuits

~Aedyn~

I smiled too, and glanced at Elandri. I almost took her hand under the table, but decided not to. It probably wouldn't be proper.

1/4/2012 #350
Sanaryelle

Elandri-

I returned Aedyn's smile, and inclined my head. "Thank you, Branor."

Lord Branor nodded, and then looked down at the papers in front of him. "The aqueduct project appears to be going well," he said. "However, unforeseen expenses have cropped up. The surveyors were unaware that they would be building over a stretch of marshland. The Wallmaker in charge informed me that they could either build the aqueduct around the marsh, or through it - but in the latter case it would have to be reinforced."

1/4/2012 #351
Fishy Biscuits

~Aedyn~

I knew the area that Lord Branor was mentioning. It was quite a large marsh, so either option would take a lot of time and more money.

1/4/2012 #352
Sanaryelle

Elandri-

This was very annoying, because the issue could have been resolved at the start if we'd had Wallmakers familiar with Yanyl surveying the area.

"The Council must decide which of the two options to go with," said Lord Branor, "and where we would get the extra funds."

"Let's settle the former issue first," I said. "The Prince Consort and I grew up in Yanyl. Are there any others familiar with the marsh to the east of Yanyl?" A couple of the Councillors spoke up. "What do you think, then?" I asked. "Should we build around the marsh, or through it?"

1/4/2012 #353
Fishy Biscuits

~Aedyn~

'If the aqueducts are built around the marsh, would they include it or exclude it?' I asked. That would probably make a difference to the cost of it.

1/4/2012 #354
Sanaryelle

Elandri-

Lord Branor looked down at his notes. "Well - this is difficult, because several people use the marsh for fish and fuel," he said. "The Wallmaker suggests excluding the marsh to save cost and time, but in the future that could make venturing into the marsh even more dangerous, as it would likely become a haven for the Dead."

1/4/2012 #355
Fishy Biscuits

~Aedyn~

I nodded. 'I would suggest not excluding it,' I said. 'Or at least, not all of it.'

1/4/2012 #356
Sanaryelle

Elandri-

"But if it were to pass through the marsh, it would be an ideal point for the Dead to try to breach or tamper with the aqueduct," Lady Trinsa pointed out.

Eventually we agreed to include the marsh within the bounds of the aqueduct, then came the long argument over where to get the money from. Some people supported the idea of a Kingdom tax, whereas others pointed out that people living outside of Yanyl would not benefit from the tax. We tabled that issue for future discussion, and moved on to the next thing on th agenda. Apparently, people who had suffered under Gregior were applying to the Crown for compensation.

1/4/2012 #357
Fishy Biscuits

~Aedyn~

'What sort of things are people wanting compensation for?' I asked. Gregior had messed things up for so many people in so many different ways, after all.

1/4/2012 #358
Sanaryelle

Elandri-

"We have already dealt with many cases," said the Chancellor. "People who the King had wrongfully imprisoned were the first, and that process is still ongoing. There were also the families of people who had been wrongfully executed. Again, the process is ongoing as we examine the records. Claims of wrongful taxation are being settled locally now that most of the local Lords and Mayors have been approved of or replaced. Now, however, a new case has come up."

"What is it?" I asked.

"Under Gregior's rule, several of the poorer areas were harshly taxed," said the Chancellor. "Some families have started to come forward claiming that they lacked money to pay for Healers and midwives. As a result, many citizens fell ill and are now having difficulty living with disabilities and disease."

I sighed. "This is a difficult one."

"If we start paying money to people who became crippled," said Lord Dillon, "how are we going to distinguish between those cases and people who became ill through no fault of Gregior's government?"

"We are already compensating for taxation," Lady Nyma pointed out. "And cripples receive benefits from the local authorities."

Lord Branor shook his head. "Still, Gregior's manner of rule caused these people to become ill and crippled in the first place. They are entitled to an apology, if nothing else."

1/4/2012 #359
Fishy Biscuits

~Aedyn~

I nodded, trying to think of something to suggest. The man who had spoken - Lord Dillon? - had said what I had been thinking - people could start claiming for compensation that they were not entitled to, and it would be difficult to determine who actually deserved some form of benefit. It sounded like there were a lot of these cases too, which meant that examining each one individually would take far too much time. But, if these people did not receive what they were asking for, it could turn them against Elandri - and that was something that we couldn't let happen. It was a very difficult one.

1/5/2012 #360
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Fishy Biscuits Sanaryelle
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member